Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting game

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363

Hi! Looking for an MMO heavy on crafting (like Wurm, Tree of Life, Darkfall, SWG, etc) but with next to no PvP content. All I want is to spend my days crafting and harvesting, without having to worry about some random griefers or PK. Something relaxed, but with a deep and complex crafting system (something like Repopulation, but even more crafting-focused).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    If you don't mind graphics and alpha state try The Repopulation. You can completely avoid combat in that game. 
    Besides that if you find any other game please let me know :)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited November 2015
    I already mentioned The Repopulation. Want something already on the market with a stable community, which is essential for a crafter

PS: please do not mention EVE. Totally not what I am looking for. I want to have fun, not spreadsheets
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Jaldren said:
    I already mentioned The Repopulation. Want something already on the market with a stable community, which is essential for a crafter

PS: please do not mention EVE. Totally not what I am looking for. I want to have fun, not spreadsheets
    Crafting is always about spreadsheets...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Have you tried A Tale in the Desert? It's not very good game, but it's very crafting focused.

If you enjoy some turn-based PvE battles now and then, then you might enjoy Dofus. It's relaxing to play and the crafting system is deep and really time-consuming grind.

ATITD is a very old game, but very much what I am looking for :)

Dofus is a grindfest. For me, it's the exact opposite of fun
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    If you want to have a game, where crafting matters, it needs to have a system, where you are able to lose your items.
    Is it through wearout, or losing it (PvP).

If it is without PvP the wearout has to unavoidable. Which isn't the case in most PvE pure games.

So without PvP you'll end up with a playerbase, where most people need something only once and crafting becomes pretty useless.
    To counter this you need an item threadmill which is horrible or you put the best crafted gear behind an enormous grindwall, so that not everyone will become a master crafter. (AA for example)

Imho crafting only has a meaning in full-loot games, everywhere else I encountered meaningless crafting OR uber grindfest.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

If you want to have a game, where crafting matters, it needs to have a system, where you are able to lose your items.
    Is it through wearout, or losing it (PvP).

If it is without PvP the wearout has to unavoidable. Which isn't the case in most PvE pure games.

So without PvP you'll end up with a playerbase, where most people need something only once and crafting becomes pretty useless.
    To counter this you need an item threadmill which is horrible or you put the best crafted gear behind an enormous grindwall, so that not everyone will become a master crafter. (AA for example)

Imho crafting only has a meaning in full-loot games, everywhere else I encountered meaningless crafting OR uber grindfest.
    We're on the same page, but could you provide some titles?
  • mobigglymobiggly Member CommonPosts: 11
    edited November 2015

try project: gorgon.  the crafting is very good there.  some skills are a little more grindy than others, but even for an alpha, it very fun.  and there will be no wipes when release comes.

Oh and it's a pve game

mobiggly said:

try project: gorgon.  the crafting is very good there.  some skills are a little more grindy than others, but even for an alpha, it very fun.  and there will be no wipes when release comes.

Oh and it's a pve game

Tried P:G, and it's fun, but it feels VERY outdated. I understand they don't have a multi-million funding, but FFS, no need to look like an MMO from 10-15 years ago
  • SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    xyson is your game man..
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Fallen earth may be worth alook
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    If you're looking for something that is 2D, Haven and Hearth could be worth a look.   Though in some cases can end up having PvPer(harshly with perma death), though in my 6 months of playing never had a fight(since PvPer is even more harshly punished with the ability to summon and kill people while they're offline).

Crafting feels really nice.   It's what's used for leveling up both advancement systems, it feels like you're climbing up a tech tree building more and more complex things, and is pretty open about what you're allowed to do.

I've played secondlife as a scripter/programmer.   Some outstanding crafting there, if you're willing to use/have real world skills(modeling/art/texturing/programming). 

Are you sure you're looking for a real MMO though.  And not just multiplayer

Right now I'm really liking space engineers(Minecraft in space, without cubes, vehicles(spaceships), and the ability to make your own robots).

Minecraft, though not much needs to be said there.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

edited November 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them all

Edit:

FE: game long dead, unfortunately. Was fun years ago
    H&H: populated by ruskies griefing everyone
    SL: I'm a software dev myself, and want to use games to chillax, not do more work :)
    SE: have it, but it really feels shallow

Bottom line: yes, I am looking for an MMO, as I want to craft for other's enjoyment
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited November 2015
    ARK SUrvival Evolved > Single Player. It is also online with players and u can play it with friends also. You start crafting 1 min into the game. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

You have full crafting game in a sick environment, Jurassic Era. 

• gaeshingaeshin Member UncommonPosts: 12
    tbh the only f2p game with crafting i've ever enjoy is lotro. It is a grind but its interesting, relaxing and some of the stuff crafted won't be useless to others. i've drop the game since they introduced a rts game mode i didn't like.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2 has good crafting and the PvP is separate, I don't know if it's still the same but you use to be able to level up just by crafting.  There's always SWGEmu.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Life is Feudal.  It officially leaves Early Access on the 17th of November. 
    Resurrecting thread. Just played two intense days of Albion Online (beta now, already played alpha). I absolutely HATE it. The grind is unbearable.

Mandatory requirement in the game I am looking for: farming for resources non-stop in a bot-filled enviroment is a dealbreaker.

Let me reply to all the ones you guys said:

ARK: not an MMO. Need a bigger community (thousands per server)
    LOTRO: too old. Tried to get back to it, but the graphics unfortunately make me cry blood
    GW2: no trinity system, cannot be a dedicated crafter. Two major dealbreakers for me
    LiF: again, not an MMO

• NuzanNuzan Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited November 2015
    Try Ryzom.
    An old mmorpg with dated, yet beautiful graphics, but most intelligent crafting system I have ever seen. Intelligent combination of dozens of materials determine your gear stats.
    Every gear has individual stats. Gear wears out with use. Most gear is player made.
    Playes appreciate good gear for good price though most deals are bartering somehow.

Sandbox mmorpg with skill based leveling in a kind of 'organic' sci-fantasy setting.
    No great questlines, players define what they want to do and to learn.

Materials can be acquired by either hunting animals or digging resource nodes. Animals can roam or change spawn area with season change. High level resource nodes can be available only at different daytimes, weather conditions or seasons.

Playing Ryzom by only material digging and crafting is absolutely possible and meaningful.
    Yes, it can be grind, but addictive.

Pvp is possible, but mostly consensual. Only few pvp regions which can be bypassed.
    Community very friendly and helpful.
    Thanks Nuzan, but I tried Ryzom several times (5 or 6) in the last few years. Unfortunately the severe grind and ridiculously small community makes it difficult to have a fun time (at least for me). The game is great tho, if only it would be "modernised" and the community was 10x larger
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Jaldren said:

EVE is much fun, if you want combat, you can get it, if you want to mine, you can... if you want spreadsheets in space, you get just that.
    Guess you were looking for spreadsheets and are now complaining about it.

Ppl complaining about content in a 100% sandbox game, that's a first.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Really Muke, this is not my definition of fun:
    http://i.imgur.com/wTCDCTr.jpg

I'm a softwaredeveloper, I need something milder to have fun with, not convoluted interfaces
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Jaldren said:
    Really Muke, this is not my definition of fun:
    http://i.imgur.com/wTCDCTr.jpg

I'm a softwaredeveloper, I need something milder to have fun with, not convoluted interfaces
    And who says you have to join sovereignty warfare...?

There is tons of other things to do. What is convulted about right mouse button click you use every day in any OS that uses mouse?

Just silly preconceptions...
  • abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I know it's far fetched, but did you try Landmark? Else the only thing to do right now is MMO-hopping and testing each crafting system.

Personally I liked crafting in Wildstar, especially because of how housing works,but where I had the most crafting-fun lately was in Final Fantasy XIV Online....one of the best crafting systems since Vanguard IMO, and you can just harvest and craft all friggin day long :)

---------
    no sig

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes FFXIV has some great crafting and the original FFXI took it very seriously and was very tedious.

Obviously EQ2 also has great crafting but i would say is more like FFXIV and sort of easy mode crafting like most games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.