Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Focus Testing INFO: Post it here.

AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258

If and when ANYONE gleans ANY information on what occurs March 5th in L.A. post any bit of info on it here.

We all know that the NGE combined with SOE's antisocial approach to its paying customers is what has caused the population numbers to slowly dwindle.

But heck - I am mighty curious what on earth is going on....PS3 testing? Roll back? Server merges? Shutdown? Expansions? ect ect ect

Comments

• sickboy_ukuksickboy_ukuk Member Posts: 26
    Well somebody just posted on the GPD board that there is a NDA for the focus group but said it had nothing to do with the combat system

• AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258

bah

we need info!

• USAFRaptorUSAFRaptor Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Ankor

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=569857&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
    here is the thread there

Nothing solid yet, but someone in the thread implied that it was about an upcoming expansion. Lame.
  • AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258

Expansion

yep

woopty freakin doo

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

you gotta be kidding me. The fleecing continues.

They have so many bugs, incomplete quests, etc and they're going to make another expansion.

When are the fanbois going to wake up and see SOE has zero plans to ever fix this game.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Oh look, another rumour dies image

RIP Rumour of PS3 port
    (March 5th - March 6th)

• ultrasparcultrasparc Member UncommonPosts: 51

For those that don't want to click:

The discussion began with a round-robin introduction and telling what we felt the best and worst aspects of Galaxies are.

Then the real discussion began.

The moderator brought out three pamphlets. One, which I believe was entitled Paths To Power, outlined the implementation of a Dark Side/Light Side path a la KOTOR, for every profession. It also went into detail about re-doing missions as either side and seeing the different view on things, different abilities for each, etc. The group was very much interested.

The second was entitled "The Galactic Civil War" and I'm sure you can imagine what it outlined: bringing the GCW back to prominence. It discussed controlling Star Destroyers and Blockade Runners, but also seemed to deadlock players as either Imperial or Rebel.

The third outline basically discussed morphing Galaxies into Battlefront II, complete with having iconic characters not only immediately available during your mission, but for you to be able to -- yes, you're actually reading this -- play as movie characters. The group was not pleased.

Then he told us that these were possibilities for expansion packs, not publish updates.

The final question/topic was whether we'd choose any one of the pamphlet outlines to add to the game, or if we'd prefer for them to work on bringing things back that were taken out. As soon as he was done talking, the group said "Rollback" almost as one. The moderator seemed like he saw that coming, because he'd probably heard the term a dozen times already from the other groups.

So there you have it. They're either going to continue the trend of "Expansion Packs aren't necessary (nudge nudge wink wink)", or, if they go by what the focus group asked, we will see a rollback of some degree.

The number one issue brought to the moderator when he asked about the biggest negatives in Galaxies was the lack of diversity in professions and the overwhelming letdown that was the NGE for people like musicians, creature handlers, smugglers, etc. He was finishing sentences for us because he had obviously heard quite a bit about it in the previous groups.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS

---end---

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by Obraik

RIP Rumour of PS3 port
    (March 5th - March 6th)

Obraik you are aware that prima was contracted for a strat guide for swg (console) yes? not to say it is for ps3, but why would prima have an isbn for a strat guide to galaxies on a console?

Personally i hope to (insert favorite deity) that prima is smoke and mirrors, i hope that nge stays they way you love it and you are happy on a pc platform.

the reality for me is that nge is nto something i am willing to spend money on. but i am a semi-vocal minority i am sure, smedley said so.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Seloth

Originally posted by Obraik

RIP Rumour of PS3 port
    (March 5th - March 6th)

Obraik you are aware that prima was contracted for a strat guide for swg (console) yes? not to say it is for ps3, but why would prima have an isbn for a strat guide to galaxies on a console?

Personally i hope to (insert favorite deity) that prima is smoke and mirrors, i hope that nge stays they way you love it and you are happy on a pc platform.

the reality for me is that nge is nto something i am willing to spend money on. but i am a semi-vocal minority i am sure, smedley said so.

There was a "console" guide meant to be published around Christmas time last year by Prima that never happened.  Relying on them hasn't gone well yet :p

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

and the ship date for the guide was updated to read march of this year.

shrug, as i said i hope you are right for yoru own sake.

• akewlguyakewlguy Member Posts: 118

lololol ROLLBACK TO PRE-CU WE WON WE WON THERE WILL BE ROLLBACK!!!!

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by akewlguy

If you believe that, I have a nice, big smuggler revamp to sell ya.

• FZR600RFZR600R Member Posts: 35
    A partial rollback might be in the cards. With that I don't mean a rollback in strickt technical sense but by bringing back some features that the NGE stripped away.
  • FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

correct, its simply to far gone for them to roll back now so you will see features of pre-cu coming back, however the lvl based system, and almost class based system you have now will more then likely stay. The loot based economy will more then likely stay, crafting will still remain crap to some degree (which is what i enjoyed about the game) so what you will probably see is some professions returning and i suspect creature handler being one of them. However the core system of the NGE will remain which is what the problem is with the game in the first place, so one wonders what was the point of this focus test.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

Originally posted by azhrarn
    lololol ROLLBACK TO PRE-CU WE WON WE WON THERE WILL BE ROLLBACK!!!!If you believe that, I have a nice, big smuggler revamp to sell ya.

That's priceless!

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

Why is everyone saying its too late for a rollback ?

The old code is always still there. Its like peeling an onion, just peel back the new code and the old core remains.

I doubt pre-cu would happen though because it would mean 2 useless expansions.

Apparently the consensus was unaminus in favor of a rollback. So I'd guess (unless LA / SOE are stupid) classic servers or some sorta major publish that takes out the NGE system totally out.

I'd considered the possibility that SOE might be worried about player progress and losing their jedi, but that never stopped them before

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by FZR600R
    A partial rollback might be in the cards. With that I don't mean a rollback in strickt technical sense but by bringing back some features that the NGE stripped away.

What features would save this mess?

The core of the problem is the horrible fps-wannabee combat system. I could ALMOST accept all the classes getting whacked if the combat system didn't blow.

OOOHH Now I get a CU-PA! Yeah, that'll bring be back.

Oh, and the "Smuggler Revamp to sell ya" line was absolutely PRICELESS, and it totally encapsulates why they are ALWAYS full of BS no matter what they say.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• kairaenekairaene Member Posts: 256

I would think most people have had their fill of Jedi. Whether they earned or respec'd to it doesnt matter.

I think most people would like a fresh start. Clean server like launch. You would see great communities spring to life. People group sampling resources to get factories and harvestors built. People cooperating to get crafters moving so they can get armor, weapons, speeders and housing again.

Perhaps there is some concern about getting Kashyyk and Mustafar setup within the PreCU code. I wouldnt mind one bit if they said Kash and Mustafar wouldnt be accessible for 3 months while they work on it.

Put a 20 profession grind on jedi before they can even start the village. :) But give others an option.

Make combat classes have their own level of alpha state after say 100 million rifle xp ground out. Give them quests and rewards. Give people a reason not to be a Jedi. Give other professions an alt when they reach the end of their profession dedication quests.

Same could be said of crafters. Give them an option of being able to achieve a 14 point crafter without having to hunt down ca's all the time. I'm sure the community could think up some great and balanced rewards for professions to keep their players interested in them.

The GCW would have to be in full swing.

/ramble... I been reading forums all morning. I guess I just had to vent abit... lol. Would be nice but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Even if they released pre-CU, we did not win. Everyone's gotta remember what they've done.

It's too late for this bulls**t. I don't want it now. Not from them. We told them what we wanted a long, long time ago. Would anyone actually start giving money to these people all over again? After we've complained non-stop about them for how long?

If we paid for their bugged game, paid while they fixed it up, paid while they ruined it the first time, quit after they ruined it a second time and then threw our money at them the second they let us play the original again... Christ, have some morals.

Pre-CU is not the goal, it's a part of it, sure. But that alone is not enough.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    "I think most people would like a fresh start. Clean server like launch. You would see great communities spring to life. People group sampling resources to get factories and harvestors built. People cooperating to get crafters moving so they can get armor, weapons, speeders and housing again.

Perhaps there is some concern about getting Kashyyk and Mustafar setup within the PreCU code. I wouldnt mind one bit if they said Kash and Mustafar wouldnt be accessible for 3 months while they work on it."

I can't speak for most people but for me personally.  I had a game I played.. between me and my roomie we had 9 accounts.  We were part of 3 different and very active player cities.

I would not in anyway reactivate the 9 accounts to go to a server where I had completely lost everything.  The reason I quit to begin with was they took away what I had.  Why would I go back to basicly still have lost it all to start over with the game I had.  The game they took away being run by the same company that took it away.

On some priniple basis I'd like to agree with you.  I in fact doubt most of my friends would ever come back.  But with the scenario you describe... I would (if it existed) rather play on a private emulated server than deal with SOE.

I just wouldn't see the point of basicly a world wipe (lost everything) to redo what I've done.  Then 2 years from now how them say a CU->NGE was needed etc...

But that's just me. 

• kairaenekairaene Member Posts: 256

Originally posted by Antarious
    "I think most people would like a fresh start. Clean server like launch. You would see great communities spring to life. People group sampling resources to get factories and harvestors built. People cooperating to get crafters moving so they can get armor, weapons, speeders and housing again.
    Perhaps there is some concern about getting Kashyyk and Mustafar setup within the PreCU code. I wouldnt mind one bit if they said Kash and Mustafar wouldnt be accessible for 3 months while they work on it."
    I can't speak for most people but for me personally. I had a game I played.. between me and my roomie we had 9 accounts. We were part of 3 different and very active player cities.
    I would not in anyway reactivate the 9 accounts to go to a server where I had completely lost everything. The reason I quit to begin with was they took away what I had. Why would I go back to basicly still have lost it all to start over with the game I had. The game they took away being run by the same company that took it away.
    On some priniple basis I'd like to agree with you. I in fact doubt most of my friends would ever come back. But with the scenario you describe... I would (if it existed) rather play on a private emulated server than deal with SOE.
    I just wouldn't see the point of basicly a world wipe (lost everything) to redo what I've done. Then 2 years from now how them say a CU->NGE was needed etc...
    But that's just me.

I understand your point. I forget that most people went to alot of trouble and did run several accounts.

My Ranger never aquired anything uber beyond a modest bank account. I never ran more than two accounts either. I totally understand why you wouldnt want to start over with nothing.

Of course its alot of "what if's" but I would bet that if that little dream of mine ever did come to pass then they would offer some sort of compensation for time/items lost. Knowing SOE it would suck but I would bet it would be offered.

My thing is that I think they honestly dread the idea of going back through 2 extra layers of code to get to the preCU foundation code. I know I would. Thinking of how you would have to convert a ton of stuff back to the old standard. Not to mention what to do with respec kits. I totally hate those things. All the time you see people asking for respec's for no good reason. Whatever happened to grinding the old fashion way?

Thats kinda why I would like a clean server. Not better. Just easier.

Clean Servers are definitely the way to go.

The logistics alone for trying to convert player toons and items would be a nightmare. And lets not forget the really big issue with 2nd toons.

The reason SOE limited players to one toon per server was to create interdependence within the community. The player run economy wouldnt work today with everyone owning a crafter alt.

The remaining player base doesnt get this concept either. I see a post over there right now on SWG forums asking for crafting to be a secondary skill bleh. The best feature of SWG was the fact that taking up crafting meant giving up combat (for the most part). In the end, it meant truly dedicated crafters and less of them around.

Games like WoW where everyone has crafting as a secondary skill AND multiple toons per server simply do NOT work.

Clean server with single toon per server (2nd with unlock) is the only way to go.

Originally posted by Antarious
    I can't speak for most people but for me personally.  I had a game I played.. between me and my roomie we had 9 accounts.  We were part of 3 different and very active player cities.
    I would not in anyway reactivate the 9 accounts to go to a server where I had completely lost everything.  The reason I quit to begin with was they took away what I had.  Why would I go back to basicly still have lost it all to start over with the game I had.  The game they took away being run by the same company that took it away.
    On some priniple basis I'd like to agree with you.  I in fact doubt most of my friends would ever come back.  But with the scenario you describe... I would (if it existed) rather play on a private emulated server than deal with SOE.
    I just wouldn't see the point of basicly a world wipe (lost everything) to redo what I've done.  Then 2 years from now how them say a CU->NGE was needed etc...
    But that's just me. 

Honestly those so-called planets dont belong in Koster's design. The loot rewards were too good. The planets were nothing more than elaborate dungeons with zero exploration. The second I saw that I couldnt go wherever I wanted to on Kashyyyk at Celebration 3 I knew the expansion wasnt for me.

They would have to totally redo the rewards to schematics, make them larger real planets that can be explored, and get rid of the instancing for them to fit the pre-cu concept.

Personally, I could live without them. They dont belong in the timeline anyway.