Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 was wayyyyy better

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited November 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Back when I found my first mmo, it was amazing to me.  I had no one to talk to about it, I had to figure out everything on my own.

I remember talking to the Electronics Boutique guy on what I had to do to play World of Warcraft.

" Not worth it " was his reply !.......Expensive video card and ram,  " don't do it "......Here is a FPS game and a Console you should buy.  Well, I didn't buy anything and I went home depressed :(

After a few hours of pacing around my house like a crazy nut, I decided screw him !......I went off to a local Circuit City and got ripped off on a cheap video card, 512mb ram and a copy of World of Warcraft :)

I played the crap out of this game for months ( not going into detail ).  As much as I loved it, I decided to expand my horizon's and switched to Dungeons and Dragons Online, my first few days I hated it.  I made myself a healer and shortly into it I found I was needed by others....What a great feeling, people asking me to do stuff and dungeon crawling.  Another best time in gaming !

Later EQ 2, LOTRO, and Vanguard ( after it was fixed a little better ).

Now here is my point :

One day I sat back and figured this could only get better.  So much advancement in computers and game technology, the future looks so good !!!...........Then Warhammer !..........YES, this will be the game of games !.......The commercials the videos and podcast !.....It's here, the industry is really advancing, just like I imagined :)

Well, No !......It was crap.  Small zones, instanced battle grounds where everyone had to go to get ANY experience. You were actually forced to do this, developers made it that way to keep players out of the broken RvR.

Such a disappointment, ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER MMO EVER MADE !.......NEVER EXPECTED THAT ! 

edit,

From around the Warhammer time.  A major turn took place.  Something greedy !!!!.......Developers took technology and used it to their advantage.

- Deeper world instances

- Tunnel vision game play ( carrot on a stick )

- Trickery in Cash Shops, to a well thought out degree.

- Fast leveling with the clam people asked for easy.  But WAY LESS CONTENT.

Vanilla World of Warcraft is Large ( est 2004 )...... 3x larger than anything recent......I know first hand, I'm playing it now.

Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    So.... You felt disapointed by WAR and concluded that 2004 was better from that..? 

I has the confuse. 

Also WAR was not a bad game, it was just a bit under-cooked RvR PvP was really fun when it worked (it often became fort Nascar.. but not always.) and it actually had a decent story hidden in there. 

Bright Wizards (and to a lesser degree Sorcs) where down right broken for a ong time tho. =) 

Beyond that i think the MMO market if a victim to it´s own sucsess, players demanded bigger, better looking and with more player at the same place and time... BUt at the same time demands came that it had to look bettre and also every game should do something new and innovative... and all this for 12$ a month. 

Then again.. Back in 04 CoH was released... Sp you might have a point  =P 

This have been a good conversation

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    tawess said:

Beyond that i think the MMO market if a victim to it´s own sucsess, players demanded bigger, better looking and with more player at the same place and time... BUt at the same time demands came that it had to look bettre and also every game should do something new and innovative... and all this for 12$ a month. 

nah .. players don't demand "more players at the same place and time", they demand soloability, less interactions with a-holes, more instanced content, more convenience features. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    In 2004, the MMO market was an emerging market with relatively few developers and no established route to success. That led to publishers being willing to invest whilst the developers still had a lot of creative control. There weren't that many MMOs compared to now, but each one was a bit unique and experimented with mechanics. 

By 2009 / 2010, the market had matured. WoW had established a route to success and so publishers pushed developers to follow the same route to success. There was more money flowing to developers and more MMOs being developed, but creativity was (and still is) stifled by the publishers in an effort to reduce the risk to their investment. 

This is exactly the same process that happens in all entertainment art forms. A new market is created, the market experiments wildly until a successful paradigm is established, investors flood the market following the paradigm until either the market crashes or someone takes a risk, is successful and changes the paradigm. 

In the MMO world, we're currently waiting for the paradigm shift away from themepark / f2p. It may never come: there is always the risk that other mmo designs can just never be as popular as themeparks. We may have to wait a long time for that "special" designer to come along and design a revolutionary mmo. We may just be waiting for a big publisher to be willing to take that risk and invest in something unconventional. Or, we may just have to wait until an indie dev manages to pull off the impossible: creating a revolutionary mmo on a shoestring budget. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Seeing how developers are kinda clueless what to do now that the "Wow-clone" trend is over, i wouldn't speak of the genre having "matured". Grown, yes, in heaps and bounds, but mature? Far from it.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    The EQ1, UO players have finally move on.  

Now come the time where people start praising how vanilla Wow is so great and why there is no mmorpg like that now.  

I bet 10 years from now people will talk about how great ESO, FFIV, GW2 is.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I had a similar experience with DAOC though a few years before that. Never played much outside a bit of UO. Saw DAOC, AC, and EQ1 sitting on a shelf. I was thinking which should I pick, I liked the idea of MMOs just didn t get too into UO. A guy in the store said to get EQ1. My wife and I liked FPS at the time, so I thought , what the hell a game where you fight other realms. We never looked back , and still sub to it to this day with small breaks. That was definitely a better time for MMOs, as you had a lot less to pick from, and IMO, quality was better. Then came FFXI, and I played the hell out of that for years alongside DAOC, and surprisingly still sub to the 2, because I feel they re way better then whats out now, still!!!!
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited November 2015
    AAAMEOW said:
    The EQ1, UO players have finally move on.  

Now come the time where people start praising how vanilla Wow is so great and why there is no mmorpg like that now.  
    You probably were not around a few years ago, because I personally remember lots of people praising vanilla WoW while saying how that* expansion killed the game or how new MMO X is going to be a failure because its not following vanilla WoW design. These people are a lot quieter these days.

The OP is right about one thing though, MMOs shifted from persistent open world games with limited loading screen to instanced story-based games or just plain "lobby games" where you are teleported to content.

*They don't all agree on which one...
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    I've kinda gave up MMORPG's. I have to agree around 2004, even more so 2003 changed the way I looked at this genre. Like OP I was amazed by all the possibiltiy's possible back then and als thought this could only get beter...but my game was Star Wars Galaxies..
    While there where/are games that come close they either have a particulair graphic/visual style I don't really like, might be isometric and I am also passed that, or it's of very low quality. Or developers choose to put PVP as it's main course. 
    With SWG I had so many choices, some day's I choose to go out hunting with ingame friends/guild members, but due to odd game time hours I loved the game because I still could do allot of things regardless if anyone was online. And I could be very solo yet incredible active socially ingame. 

Currently enjoying Fallout 4, it's a game that grants me that gaming freedom I seek in online worlds,at the same time feel a connection to the world. And that's within a singleplayer game. I really would like this feeling playing a MMORPG again. 
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Trivia: WAR is the best game ever made (in my humble opinion).
     W...aaagh?
    azarhal said:

The OP is right about one thing though, MMOs shifted from persistent open world games with limited loading screen to instanced story-based games or just plain "lobby games" where you are teleported to content.

Didn't people in the other thread argue that these new games are no longer MMOs.

By their definition, MMOs all died and new games take their place. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Found a great MMORPG in the making in '03 that released in 2004, a couple weeks before WoW, and have been riding it all the way to present day. :+1: 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Anireth said:
    Seeing how developers are kinda clueless what to do now that the "Wow-clone" trend is over, i wouldn't speak of the genre having "matured". Grown, yes, in heaps and bounds, but mature? Far from it.
    pretty much in a holding pattern waiting for someone to create the new hotness so they can try to copy it.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Anireth said:
    Following your logic, nothing ever matures until it dies.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239
    tawess said:
    So.... You felt disapointed by WAR and concluded that 2004 was better from that..? 

I has the confuse. 

Also WAR was not a bad game, it was just a bit under-cooked RvR PvP was really fun when it worked (it often became fort Nascar.. but not always.) and it actually had a decent story hidden in there. 

Bright Wizards (and to a lesser degree Sorcs) where down right broken for a ong time tho. =) 

Then again.. Back in 04 CoH was released... Sp you might have a point  =P 
    Nah, im pretty sure he is right, WAR was shit.  It came in the era where everything was a WoW clone. lmao

(Akiraosc)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Oscillate said:
    Nah, im pretty sure he is right, WAR was shit.  It came in the era where everything was a WoW clone. lmao

Well personal opinions aside WAR did a lot of good things (not saying it was first with them or  that it did it flawless) like oped group quests and the way they tried to weave kill quests in to the natural progression. The crafting system was also kinda fun to tinker with as a distraction while one waited for other stuff. 

But i guess that the fact that RvR was supposed to be the big thing.. and it not really working as intended a lot of the time... It was destined to fail. 

This have been a good conversation

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Back when I found my first mmo, it was amazing to me.  I had no one to talk to about it, I had to figure out everything on my own.

I remember talking to the Electronics Boutique guy on what I had to do to play World of Warcraft.

" Not worth it " was his reply !.......Expensive video card and ram,  " don't do it "......Here is a FPS game and a Console you should buy.  Well, I didn't buy anything and I went home depressed :(

After a few hours of pacing around my house like a crazy nut, I decided screw him !......I went off to a local Circuit City and got ripped off on a cheap video card, 512mb ram and a copy of World of Warcraft :)

I played the crap out of this game for months ( not going into detail ).  As much as I loved it, I decided to expand my horizon's and switched to Dungeons and Dragons Online, my first few days I hated it.  I made myself a healer and shortly into it I found I was needed by others....What a great feeling, people asking me to do stuff and dungeon crawling.  Another best time in gaming !

Later EQ 2, LOTRO, and Vanguard ( after it was fixed a little better ).

Now here is my point :

One day I sat back and figured this could only get better.  So much advancement in computers and game technology, the future looks so good !!!...........Then Warhammer !..........YES, this will be the game of games !.......The commercials the videos and podcast !.....It's here, the industry is really advancing, just like I imagined :)

Well, No !......It was crap.  Small zones, instanced battle grounds where everyone had to go to get ANY experience. You were actually forced to do this, developers made it that way to keep players out of the broken RvR.

Such a disappointment, ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER MMO EVER MADE !.......NEVER EXPECTED THAT ! 

edit,

From around the Warhammer time.  A major turn took place.  Something greedy !!!!.......Developers took technology and used it to their advantage.

- Deeper world instances

- Tunnel vision game play ( carrot on a stick )

- Trickery in Cash Shops, to a well thought out degree.

- Fast leveling with the clam people asked for easy.  But WAY LESS CONTENT.

Vanilla World of Warcraft is Large ( est 2004 )...... 3x larger than anything recent......I know first hand, I'm playing it now.

Everything advaced, just not you. Youre still playing the same game from your childhood that kept you from advancing. 
  • Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    oh the irony being amazed by WoW in 2004. i played rpgs for like forever. at that time my most favorite games, the gothic series, was at its prime. having played  gothic 1 in 2001, which still has more and better feautures than current mainstream rpgs (its really awesome still), seein WoW gave me eye cancer. to this date i hate that style, that cartoon. we joked heavily how anyone could play WoW and we were all rpg nerds. oh the irony, being amazed by a themepark....saw a friends warlock lv 16 (first time ever) and the dmg numbers gave me a headache. you cant imagine how intrusive all of blizzards design is.

i am a rpg nerd. i need immersion. currently im fully immersing myself into witcher 3. devs said many times that gothic was their inspiration too (like havin no level scaling and shutting off maps with stronger enemies, although that felt even more natural in gothic). tw3 is like a modern gothic, if you like it pls gothic gothic a try.

but hey, i never understoood the fun of counterstrike too. or even mobas (i played dota 2 242h to judge it for myself). or how could anyone play UT more than a LAN party. or arena shooters like CoD or the garbage thats moba shooters (overwatch).

so have fun.
  • DirtyblissDirtybliss Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'm stumped right now.  Looking for a new MMO to play also.  I played all of those games when they first came out that you mentioned. Some for many years and some for a couple months.  I have to agree with you. WAR was a disappointment for me. Even if i enjoyed the instanced PvP. Running around as a lil dwarf warrior was fun.  I think i made it to lvl 25 and quit but i rebounded and found a new MMO that i enjoyed playing. Got hooked on Aion in 08'. Played that for about a year.  

There always seems too be a MMO that i can get hooked on and feel like the days when i first started playing EQ WoW and ffxi to bring me back in the genre again.  Doesn't matter what year it is.  
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    But the primary reason 2004 was better: a far lower incidence of Bitter Vets in the audience.

Fewer people constantly railing on about how terrible everything was, in-game and out, and every title wasn't backlit with Negativity Blacklights.

Plus CoH, of course.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    azarhal said:

Didn't people in the other thread argue that these new games are no longer MMOs.

By their definition, MMOs all died and new games take their place. 
    Quite a few pre-2004 MMOs are still up and running, so they can't all have died.

I would argue that a lot of older MMOs did transition from open world MMO to be more instanced over the years and some quality of life features altered the way people play them to behave as if they were lobby games. Does a MMO stop being a MMO because the players play them as if it they were a lobby game? I mean, GW2 waypoints allow you to pick "à la carte" the events you want to do, but you don't have to play the game that way...

Of course there are also exception. For example,  LoTRO which is very instance story based despite having a huge open world and few instant travel options (last time I played which is like 2 years ago). It is one of the most immersive MMO out there from my personally experience (probably helps that I like the lore). The Shire is probably my favorite MMO zone too. The funniest in all of this is that LoTRO wasn't my first MMO (that's DAoC) and played it for the first time a year after it was converted to F2P...
    azarhal said:

I would argue that a lot of older MMOs did transition from open world MMO to be more instanced over the years and some quality of life features altered the way people play them to behave as if they were lobby games. Does a MMO stop being a MMO because the players play them as if it they were a lobby game? I mean, GW2 waypoints allow you to pick "à la carte" the events you want to do, but you don't have to play the game that way...

Beat me. Most websites don't care and call all of them MMOs anyway. I am merely pointing out that it makes some here uneasy (NOT me).

I am more than happy to go along and call these lobby games MMOs. It is not like the label means a lot anyway.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    WoW was the last MMORPG I enjoyed as well.  It wasn't my first, but I had a lot of fun in Vanilla.  I didn't enjoy any of the expansions.  WoW was probably the last MMO to have open world uninstanced.  It's always fun to see lots of people running around newbie zones and competing with them to get out quickly and leave them behind.  Vanilla WoW felt like EQ, but much easier to me.  UO is too long ago for me to remember very well.  I only remember certain things about it.  EQ is the one I spent the most time in and have the most memories from.  Everything post Vanilla WoW was a much different game.  You can't really even recognize these games anymore.  They all have tutorials, specific paths, markers, instances, a vast array of mounts to quickly get around, dungeon finders, etc.