Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to upgrade First

tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
So im in the market of upgrading my PC...
I play MMO's FPS games mostly My current setup is 

MBOARD: GIGABYTE H77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
RAM: G Skill 2x8Gb DDR3-1867 / PC3-14900 DDR3
GPU: ASUS GTX760-DC2 2Gb
SSD: SanDisk 64Gb (Windows Drive), and 2x Kingston 60Gb in Raid0
HDD: 1Tb Random drive
CPU COOLER: Stock
CASE: BitFenix prodigy (black)

I'm wondering what part to upgrade first... GPU, CPU+mobo+case etc...
I'm not wanting to pay through my teeth so im not looking for the best of the best... I don't mind AMD if it can perform better than my current intel...

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The first thing I'd do is to take the SSDs out of RAID 0, as that's too much of a risk to reliability to justify the negligible performance gains.

After that, why are you looking to upgrade?  Are you running into some situation where your current rig isn't good enough?
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Should be pretty good for the current generation of MMOs.. Minimally, you need quadcore given how some of the latest games are coded which you have covered with an i5.  Your GPU is still relevant...

Next Gen MOBOs are tooled for DDR4 RAM (although they can run DDR3 - but why???).  You have a stock CPU cooler so assuming you aren't overclocking.

I might wait and save up to do a more next gen upgrade and look at a MOBO, chip, cooler, RAM.. 

If you really must upgrade now, take a look at a new graphics card that can travel with you to your next build.  Any of the current generation will get you DX12 capability with Windows 10 (You should upgrade to Win 10 if you plan to run Windows.  Don't listen to the whiners.. Upgrade and configure privacy the way you wish to configure it)  For video a GTX 960 or 970 would be a nice upgrade if you like Team Green.  The newer cards are actually using less power too...I have been an AMD guy for years but defected this generation preferring Nvidia's approach to AMD's.

Good luck.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I'm currently using windows 10.
    SSD's are just in Raid due to the crappy size of them and I only really have a couple of games on them for the load times.
    I'm wanting to play most games in 1080p at min of 60fps on highest settings and not have it spaz out when things get mental or too many players on screen etc...
    with FPS, im able to run most things at high/highest settings but at a cost to FPS i get maybe 30-50fps... 

If i upgrade the gfx card now, will the CPU bottleneck do you think?
    ram i only have that cos the company I purchased it from when I built the computer a few years gave me 8Gb free if i paid cash on the spot... bam done... lol

Ok Graphics card upgraded....
    I just got Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB
    Kinda hoping it's ok...
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You really don't need to upgrade. There are only 3 things to suggest on your system that won't make a whole lot of difference. First is your mobo. It only has 2 memory dimms meaning its not making maximum bandwidth. But its dual channel anyway so it won't do much. Second is your GPU. Its 2 generations old. However there have not been enough advancements the last 2 generations to warrant a new GPU just yet. Third is your RAID0 SSD setup. I get what it does for games, but its a little inefficient compared to getting a quick single SSD like a Crucial M200 500 GB. With only 120GB you will be filling it quickly with modern titles.

You are still a year or two out before you will have any impact from these 3 things. Save up for a complete system in that time. Any meaningful upgrade you can do will begin with a new system anyway.
    yeah the SSD's where given to me so I can't complain... Thanks all for the insights...