Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People who have played, how is it?

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Chrisbox said:
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    Originally posted by Phry
    looks like a retro game tbh, click to move, virtually no character customisation, years ago it might have competed with UO as was, then again, maybe it wouldn't have, but Click to move, that is so last century, its almost like living the 90's again. image

Your logic is flawed in a epic way.

I think he's spot on.  Just wish these top down click to move MMOs would just go away.  Its one of the main reasons I can't stand MOBAs.  It's non-immersive and just makes a video game play like a virtual board game.  The only reason developers defend and continue to implement this top down click to move game play mechanic is because it is easier and cheaper to design and develop.  Fortunately for them many gamers now days could care less about immersion.  They are content playing a virtual board game.   That said, whereas a MOBA may be able to get away with this shallow type of game play mechanic, it makes for poor non-immersive game play in an MMO/MMORPG.

I can't say how it plays out in albion but it works perfectly fine in MOBAs, they still have rather large skill caps while having such a "dumbed down" movement system.  Smite tried to change that and many find it less engaging than the traditional style.  

The only people that prefer isometric MOBAs over SMITE either have bad computers or they suck at video games.

The fact that everything is a skillshot makes SMITE the superior game.
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    LOL...just literally LOL.  Click move is that way because you need to be damn fast if your good to be hitting other buttons like your skills and items.  You don't have time to be moving your fingers to other buttons.
  • ausj3w3lausj3w3l Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Austrian said:

Originally posted by evilized
    does it feel anything like UO?

No, not really. Uo was more of a solo base game where they put the solo play first. AO is more guild focused, if you go in there thinking you can solo or be a solo crafter like you could in UO you're going to get screwed. Even small guilds may get screwed.

Currently the problems with AO are:

-Taxes and fees are high
    -Unlike what their website says, there are gear drops from mobs therefore the economy isn't completely playerbased.
    -Mission gear from quest > crafted gear as it's easier to acquire and cheaper and have less repair cost. Which make crafters less valuable since players can gear up via missions.
    -Pvp not as in depth as UO
    -If you're not a good guild, getting gear will be a pita
    -If you're looking for solo fights or small fights outside of 5 vs 5 territory battles, you not likely to find it here.
    -Unlike UO, gear have tiers so there is a vertical progression system.

The only thing that these two have in common is the view point, the setting, and full loot in some areas. But the mechanics and game play are vastly different. I am not even sure if this is a sandbox game or more like an RvR or GvG game.

Gear drops from mobs - the humanoid ones are pretty damn rare and not as good as crafted - with crafted you can set the passives you want too which is pretty important

The quest gear is decent but you don't actually gain experience by using it - a bad point if you're trying to level you're skill line. It's good to use when you know you're going to get into a fight and don't want to waste the good stuff.

the rest is pretty accurate - very guild based although there is room for the solo player, quite a few decent solo gankers that were completely unattached in the last alpha- hanging out in the full loot areas kept them pretty stocked and wealthy haha. And there were a few good crafters that were unattached too - but yeh, a lot harder to achieve without a group
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Letsinod said:
    LOL...just literally LOL.  Click move is that way because you need to be damn fast if your good to be hitting other buttons like your skills and items.  You don't have time to be moving your fingers to other buttons.
    No, it's that way because it's easier to build an isometric world than a 3-D one.  There is no advantage to it.

People have been hitting skill buttons with WASD for decades now just fine.  The best way is to remap them from the number keys, but I've seen pro SMITE players using the default number buttons too.  It's perfectly possible.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    edited November 2015
    Dropping 60 for the alpha?!?!? You have to pay 60 dollars to play the ALPHA?!
    You can find the actual prices on the Albiononline site brah

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Played early and mid alpha so far and lets put it this way... It's grindy...and it's grindy AF. You need to play with a team, else it's both tedious and boring. It got the chance to grow, but I don't know.. They way the ablities are set is not really the way I like.

Alright game with potential to become a really nice sandboxy PvP game.. Will never beat Darkfall though.
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Played early and mid alpha so far and lets put it this way... It's grindy...and it's grindy AF. You need to play with a team, else it's both tedious and boring. It got the chance to grow, but I don't know.. They way the ablities are set is not really the way I like.

Alright game with potential to become a really nice sandboxy PvP game.. Will never beat Darkfall though.
    We obviously have a different definition of grinding.  There is no grinding in Albion even remotely close to the Prowess grinding in Darkfall UW.  You don't have to o make 150 pieces of each are set to advance in Armorer skill.  

Performing ng tasks is Albion are so integrated that they really don't feel like grinding at all.  If you stick to one armor type and weapon type, and gather and craft to produce your own gear, everything that you do advances each element of skill use, equipment use, gathering and crafting skills, and the gaining of fame which also advances your character.  Every action makes sense in the big picture of character advancement.  I honestly believe this is the strongest feature of Albion Online.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Letsinod said:
    No, it's that way because it's easier to build an isometric world than a 3-D one.  There is no advantage to it.

People have been hitting skill buttons with WASD for decades now just fine.  The best way is to remap them from the number keys, but I've seen pro SMITE players using the default number buttons too.  It's perfectly possible.
    It is a 3d world, just and isometric PoV. This is for at least 2 reasons, one being preference, another being performance across platform play on multiple types of systems. If the game were the same graphics but with a standard 3rd or first person view it probably wouldn't look as good.

A for the point and click vs wasd this also could be preference as I know many people who prefer it and also if the game were wasd controlled then PC would an advantage over tablets. With the point and click it makes it a far more level playing field, because all systems share the same world. With point and click the play style is very much identical across system types.
  • stonyleinstonylein Member UncommonPosts: 88
    the game is really awesome. its an mmorpg while pvp fights usually remind of moba games like hots, lol and dota. of course there is no moba with wasd movement, which would make no sense at all anyway. some people just don't understand basic game mechanics.
  • lonewolf1980lonewolf1980 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    great grinding game. everything need tons of grind. In order to make tier 2 crafting tools, you'll need tier 1 materials + tier 2 raw material = new tier 2 tools. So on and so on. So if u die once and everything will be lost and start from scratch. Everything are gear based because all your skills are from you gears. When you are crafting the gear ( Chest, helmet, boot) you can pick what 1 skill with the gear, like boot you can pick between fast running speed +5 for gathering or more carry weight +5 for inventory. You'll learn that you'll have to return to base every 30 min or so to banks material due to over carry weight. 
    The Current highest tier materials is tier 5 which located in zones 5 that are pvp zones ( full loot). Be warn that this game is not for solo player, so don't play it unless you have big group of friends to play with or a big guild ( i'm in a very big guild ;-) )
    Cash shop.   $=gold . In alpha 1 gold are require to make tier3 up everything, but in alpha 2 they replay gold with silver ( loot able from npc ingame ) .Currently beta they having a gold and silver exchange market.
    Just to make a point, albion was never designed with pc or console in mind. Albion was make just for mobiles ( android, tablet/ipad ) so get over yourself pc players . The game screen is very clean and simple, only a few clickable buttons and everything are clickable. i had played been able to play game with 1 hand by the mouse.

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Is there anything stopping it from becoming zerg vs zerg?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    kemono55 said:

What would you suggest?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    great grinding game. everything need tons of grind. In order to make tier 2 crafting tools, you'll need tier 1 materials + tier 2 raw material = new tier 2 tools. So on and so on. So if u die once and everything will be lost and start from scratch. Everything are gear based because all your skills are from you gears. When you are crafting the gear ( Chest, helmet, boot) you can pick what 1 skill with the gear, like boot you can pick between fast running speed +5 for gathering or more carry weight +5 for inventory. You'll learn that you'll have to return to base every 30 min or so to banks material due to over carry weight. 
    The Current highest tier materials is tier 5 which located in zones 5 that are pvp zones ( full loot). Be warn that this game is not for solo player, so don't play it unless you have big group of friends to play with or a big guild ( i'm in a very big guild ;-) )
    Cash shop.   $=gold . In alpha 1 gold are require to make tier3 up everything, but in alpha 2 they replay gold with silver ( loot able from npc ingame ) .Currently beta they having a gold and silver exchange market.
    Just to make a point, albion was never designed with pc or console in mind. Albion was make just for mobiles ( android, tablet/ipad ) so get over yourself pc players . The game screen is very clean and simple, only a few clickable buttons and everything are clickable. i had played been able to play game with 1 hand by the mouse.

I have died many times and have not lost everything. So saying that if u die once you lose everything and have to start from scratch is a pure lie within itself.   As long as you repair yourself before it becomes scrap then you are fine. Yes repairing stuff does take materials and such but just dieing does not make you lose everything. If that is the case then I must be bugged cause all that happens to me is that my gear takes a duriability hit and I have to repair stuff.
  • ausj3w3lausj3w3l Member UncommonPosts: 9

I have died many times and have not lost everything. So saying that if u die once you lose everything and have to start from scratch is a pure lie within itself.   As long as you repair yourself before it becomes scrap then you are fine. Yes repairing stuff does take materials and such but just dieing does not make you lose everything. If that is the case then I must be bugged cause all that happens to me is that my gear takes a duriability hit and I have to repair stuff.
    you also lose 20% of the materials you were carrying - in alpha at least. Not sure about this beta
  • brulogazbrulogaz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It's a decent game. I played the previous alpha and logged in every day for 1 or 2 weeks. It was very backbone tho. There was no pve content and the combat was very very dull (very few mobs with tons of hp). It was pretty common (the only viable strategy) for big guilds to zerg outside town and chain run all the dungeons so it was pretty much a guild game. Not to mention guilds reached higher tiers of equipment very quickly by pooling all their ressources for a single player.

That being said, the devs acknowledged everything pretty damn quickly. I am downloading the current alpha test, i might post an update after i tried i
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited November 2015
    Watching the streamers on twitch is killing the hopes I had for this game.  I understand that they hope to have it ported to tablets, but they didn't need to design it like an F2P mobile game.  Everything looks so dull and grindy... I half expect to see a depleting stamina bar every time someone clicks.  Refill your stamina only $0.99!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I remember playing Rappelz. No WASD. It wasn't that bad. I got used to it after a short time. But if the reason they opted not to include WASD movement is because it's a tablet game ported to PC.... I'll pass.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    This game is not the next UO. They don't even advertise that themselves anymore. Although it is a decent game on some levels, but it's a game that you can also play on your Android device. That feature alone can limit a game in so many ways. Although I am enjoying it here and now, but this can't never be my main MMORPG personally. I played Clash of Clans with my staff sometimes, I guess AO will replace that for us. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    waynejr2 said:
    kemono55 said:

What would you suggest?

Hard limits on guilds (eg. 10 - 50 member limit),
    effectively stops games from becoming "largest guild wins".
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    edited November 2015
    The top-down view loses it for me right away.  I want to see where my character is looking and what's off into the distance - a top down view is more RTS / MOBA than role playing and it loses the immersion of me being the character if I'm looking from a helicopter.

The cartoon graphics are also very much like WoW and I want to forget about that game.
    Post edited by mark2123 on
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    kemono55 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    kemono55 said:

What would you suggest?

These games are all about having the numbers.  Right, the largest guild will just roll across the map so find out which guild has the most players and try to join and win.
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I'm taking it slow with CB.  First, the population is too densely packed and i have not seen a single "full" resource node, after searching dozens of territories, and on two continents.

Yes, they have expanded the map greatly, but I'm fairly certain they also dramatically increased the fane requirement to move between tiers 3 and 4.  It goes from needing 14400 fame to reach tier 3 and rises to 75,000 (approximately) for tier 4.  Since you need tier 3 materials to make tier 4, that is keeping the population plugged into the tier 2 - 4 areas a lot longer than during Summer Alpha.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    kemono55 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    kemono55 said:

What would you suggest?

Alliances would happen (still will?) so it doesn't matter.
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Rly people still argue about wasd or click to move games,  league of legends would be unplayable if you had to play with wasd,  click to move works in a lot of games cus of their camera view and what type of abilities the game has
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Im actually looking forward to this game precisely because its click to move

This discussion has been closed.