Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Player Housing Part 1 – Architecture & Construction | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria | Player Housing Part 1 – Architecture & Construction | MMORPG

Build and customize your house and other buildings using Chronicles of Elyria’s player-created blueprints and modular housing. Also, learn how houses help store your extra inventory, make survival easier, and support CoE’s unique family system.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I seriously cannot wait for this!
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    This game just peaked my interest... ;)
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Look at those house! and being an architect sounds like a lot of fun!
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I hope we'll be able to walk through these soon™. This game is showing so much promise ;)
     W...aaagh?
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I enjoyed the housing in EQ2 a lot and this is so much more.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Awesome!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Really immersive concept for house construction. The previous dev journal hinted that players familiar with certain skills or professions in real life may be able to apply that know-how in the game. It feels like players who are civil engineers in real life will be able to use a bit of their real life skills and knowledge to design and build houses in the game.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• samurai225samurai225 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    This looks and sounds really great like a Skyrim and Log Horizon type feel to it. Can't wait to try it out.
  • DilectosDilectos Member CommonPosts: 5
    This just keep getting better and better every week ! love it ! 
  • SerylliousSeryllious Member UncommonPosts: 43
    The blueprints solve a lot of issues with prevalent in other build your own/settlement establishment type games. This is a smart system - build it once/build it right.
  • liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I can't wait to get my hands on the architectural mode >w<

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I hope we'll be able to walk through these soon™. This game is showing so much promise ;)
    Sounds awesome but i can't seem to find any gameplay videos-Looked on u-tube but mostly screenshots. Even the website just has "coming soon" under videos.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    demadil said:
    Sounds awesome but i can't seem to find any gameplay videos-Looked on u-tube but mostly screenshots. Even the website just has "coming soon" under videos.
    Correct... no videos.... yet.

But I think they're planning on something soon to showcase some of the world.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Zultra said:
    I seriously cannot wait for this!

You have to!  :P
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Hopefully they have something similar to RIFT and how you can rotate everything on any axis. If not, and its like ARK it will be garbage. While ARK is great from some points its actual building and snapping mechanics are trash. At most you have 4 angles and thats for fences and barriers, walls and frames have only two, 180 or 45.

As always open world housing sounds great until it isnt and that doesnt take long. It does work in ARK mostly because no one plays on official servers anymore and private ones are more civilized. But with open world housing in open world servers I suspect some major issues.

"Best'' compromise is to have instanced versions of the open world and then you have 'neighborhoods', once that section is filled up thats it. But have it be a pretty large instance with multiple 'parcels' or whatever theyre called in it.

But with every new update on whats going on they definitely hit all the right hot buttons people look for.

Delivering it all is the challenge now.
  • raynforceraynforce Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited November 2015
    rodarin said: "As always open world housing sounds great until it isnt and that doesnt take long. It does work in ARK mostly because no one plays on official servers anymore and private ones are more civilized. But with open world housing in open world servers I suspect some major issues."

It is open world housing, but with a twist that prevents players from putting houses down just anywhere. Don't forget that in CoE, all land (even unexplored land) is owned by someone. To build a house you need permission from whoever has the authority to assign that land. Smart rulers will not let people build just anywhere, they will have civil engineers of sorts plan out their cities.

While you can build without permission, you must be able to defend your land (likely from that land's owner) or you will lose your property. Better have an army or be too far away for the ruler/owner to bother dealing with you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    As usual this game brings a smile to my face,i can't say enough good things about this game.

There is only one thing that wasn't made clear and that is this fly through architecture idea.Is this going to be like flying through for example in the Unreal Engine where you can see in real time what you are doing?

Using the Unreal engine idea/tools we simply make non textured surfaces/models/walls and can save it as this game is calling a blueprint or i just call it a file.Then it can be exported/imported and anyone can texture it themselves.

Is this basically what the architecture tool is going to be like or is it simply the lines we see and not an actual fly through?

Also will there be any animated textures to use and or will it be strictly straight lines or can actual architecture be created using vertices or whatever method?As for .ani textures i am thinking something along the lines of being able to have say a lamp in your house that has an actual light that flickers or goes off and on.Or perhaps if we want a guild sign on the front that has an animated logo or something.

Obviously animated textures is asking a lot,i am just curious,it is not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Well then, looks like your hype meter is going straight to 10. ;)
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    Revofire said:
    Well then, looks like your hype meter is going straight to 10. ;)

I'm okay with that :).

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    Obviously we would all be fools to think this game is going to nail it on every single aspect a 10/10 ,that would be unfair to this game and an impossible expectation even from me.I do however hope people at least give this developer some credit for TRYING to do the genre some justice,putting a little effort into the game is big time props from where i am sitting in my PC chair.

I seriously could design a WOW clone with my eyes closed,i wouldn't even have to break a sweat,so it really makes me happy to see a game take some risks on design.

i'll put my hype meter at 8/10 and from me that is pretty darn good.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I'm doing an article on architecture and urban development in virtual worlds. I wish this game was already out, this could be a great case study :|

I agree with Wizardry. Especially how we keep building it up in our minds, you really can't beat imagination. That's a problem with reading about something for a good few years before playing it. They're sailing in uncharted waters and it is not feasible to be able to deliver all features close to perfection. But their efforts toward innovation demand respect. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    @Wizardry and @Gaming.Rocks keep doing a fantastic job of simultaneously being supportive, encouraging, understanding, and demanding.

I don't expect anyone to blindly trust us, nor assume everything is going to be perfect out of the gate. But you guys have done a great job of separating your trepidation from how you interact with us. Much respect for that.

As an aside, the team is meshing very well, making great progress, and the rate at which new stuff is showing up in the client is astounding. We've even started showing unofficial videos of game-play to the more active community members over at ChroniclesOfElyria.com.

While it is still early, we're moving quickly. I think we'll have something available much sooner than people anticipate. Keep following along for our upcoming official videos.

Cheers!
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I think the flexibility presented in the blueprint system sounds interesting. You could sell the same blueprint to multiple builders and end up with very different looking and feeling homes depending on the choices they make at construction. Though I also wonder if it is possible for an architect to specify every last detail as well? That would prevent builders cannot take shortcuts, use less expensive materials and ruin the architects artistic vision!
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I have this uneasy feeling like this is too good to be true.
  • ronalda123ronalda123 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    i really like the Architectural mode, it's better to design a home first than build it up like other sand box game, this'll give an overall look and easier to fix the part you dont want.