Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raise your hand if you have ever said "It was better in beta"

TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
  Wondering how many of you have ever said about an mmo "It was better in Beta/Alpha", WHY!?

For me it's almost always because during beta and alpha Free to Play mmo's don't corrupt their item malls, and then after release the dev's go into full on scam mode.

Yes, I know i'm ranting.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2015
    I'd say to add "Better before 'X' Expansion/Patch" as well.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    plenty because while most games are fun while leveling ...is the endgame what kill most of them P2W or "nothing to do"
  • xROOxxROOx Member UncommonPosts: 8
    archeage is a perfect example, during the alpha before the 2.0 patch the game was great,than came live and all the porblems came with it.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Taiphoz said:
      Wondering how many of you have ever said about an mmo "It was better in Beta/Alpha", WHY!?

For me it's almost always because during beta and alpha Free to Play mmo's don't corrupt their item malls, and then after release the dev's go into full on scam mode.

Yes, I know i'm ranting.
    I have said this many times... but it has never been related to monetization.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    IT will be interesting to see where this thread goes. I would love to see a connection that shows how monitizing games destroys them. 

Makes me wonder how successful a game could be if it were developed with quality entertainment in mind with the philosophy that "If you build it (quality games) they will come (consumers).

But no, what we seem to be getting lately is a cash shop and someone says. "Now, (re) build a game around this".
  • TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Taiphoz said:

Yes, I know i'm ranting.

As some one said above, just look at Archeage, it's cash shop has to be one of the worst, most miss handled I have seen in any game, I'm a fan of the game but I'm no longer playing it because of its cash shop, I really should go and cancel my sub as well now that I think about it.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    edited November 2015
    Taiphoz said:
    Taiphoz said:

Yes, I know i'm ranting.

As some one said above, just look at Archeage, it's cash shop has to be one of the worst, most miss handled I have seen in any game, I'm a fan of the game but I'm no longer playing it because of its cash shop, I really should go and cancel my sub as well now that I think about it.
    The game was originally P2P, and had to re-tool to F2P.  Almost all of the issues with the cash shop were present BEFORE the game launched in the west. The fact the people were surprised, when they could have just looked ahead is not a problem with the game.

The same applies to the gameplay. There was a drastic change in the game from its (original) beta to the first major patch (after launch). This was a major shift away from the original sandbox, towards themepark content. The content that came after that, all followed the same pattern.

So, for ArcheAge, these changes were all AFTER launch... not from Alpha/Beta/Launch.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    To me WoW was better in beta, honestly, sorry to those I upset, but I always imagined and envisioned WoW being more like "Warcraft" and thought the open world fighting was going to evolve more into things such as town capturing and open world stuff which instead turned into battlegrounds and massive instancing and I know i'm not the only one that felt that way at the time or to this day, but people will defend it blindly till they are blue in the face, so whateva.