Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eveiseasy...?

GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
edited November 2015 in EVE Online
Recently there were some discussions regarding EVE and new players thus I want to share my experience with trial account I started 3 weeks ago. This is the result of fairly casual play, without much aim. I was just having fun, solely on my own, meeting occasional ppl in local.

http://imgur.com/a6IAgb7
http://imgur.com/D3HiZGW
(those 3 BPCs are worth about 350M)

ISK is certainly not a problem for new players :)

While EVE is far from perfect, most of the "negatives" you hear about EVE regarding new players is nonsense. It is just a matter of mind set. Some people from the start set themselves into a position of losers but if you are willing to learn, EVE is rewarding.

Be bold, be curious.
Post edited by Gdemami on

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The only thing hard about EvE or games like EvE is deciding what you want to do/be in the universe.

The actual gameplay mechanics in place are no harder to understand than most themepark games.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited November 2015
    If you are comfortable with making money, if you desire to do so even in a game, then EvE is a great game to do it in. If you believe how much money you make in a game defines whether you won or lost than EvE is a haven for this.

If you read the "I quit" threads and posts you might see as I do that a sizable percentage of Players that claim to quit EvE quit not because it's hard to play or hard to make money ingame, but rather because there is some part of how EvE is designed that they disagree with. After my experience in EvE I think this is the number one reason why new Players that try EvE leave... of course it's just me guessing and is just my opinion.

The reason why I stopped playing EvE had nothing to do with it being "hard to play" or "hard to make money", it had to do with the basic design philosophies of how it's designed and especially WHY it's designed the way it is, in other words it is the Dev's "Intent" that I disagree with... and through that design intent what types of gameplay and player interaction the Dev's are seeking as well.

I personally believe there are some player behaviors that should never be encouraged in a game, even if it is "just a game". The Devs of CCP hold to a different point of view on this than I do and that is their right. They made EvE according to their point of view, as they should. I have no quarrel with the Devs of CCP, just gratitude for the fun I had in their game and a realization that EvE is a game I will never agree with and for the sake of the game I need to stay away from it.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    So OP what I am looking at on those pics you posted?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    My guess (based on playing the game in the past) is that those screenies show items that you can make a good profit with right now (or recently). If I were to start playing again those items I would check out.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2015
    If you are comfortable with making money, if you desire to do so even in a game, then EvE is a great game to do it in. If you believe how much money you make in a game defines whether you won or lost than EvE is a haven for this.

If you read the "I quit" threads and posts you might see as I do that a sizable percentage of Players that claim to quit EvE quit not because it's hard to play or hard to make money ingame, but rather because there is some part of how EvE is designed that they disagree with. After my experience in EvE I think this is the number one reason why new Players that try EvE leave... of course it's just me guessing and is just my opinion.

The reason why I stopped playing EvE had nothing to do with it being "hard to play" or "hard to make money", it had to do with the basic design philosophies of how it's designed and especially WHY it's designed the way it is, in other words it is the Dev's "Intent" that I disagree with... and through that design intent what types of gameplay and player interaction the Dev's are seeking as well.

I personally believe there are some player behaviors that should never be encouraged in a game, even if it is "just a game". The Devs of CCP hold to a different point of view on this than I do and that is their right. They made EvE according to their point of view, as they should. I have no quarrel with the Devs of CCP, just gratitude for the fun I had in their game and a realization that EvE is a game I will never agree with and for the sake of the game I need to stay away from it.
    Vast majority of "I quit" threads about EVE is just due lack of understanding how the game works and grossly exaggerated extrapolations and assumptions made from there - "EVE is full of scammers", "EVE players are phychopats" etc.

Freedom is double edged sword - it allows, and to en extent encourage, all sort of behaviors and like in real life, there will always be a handful of bad apples but that is just minority. Sadly, most players won't get past "bad apple" part to understand and see that there is much more they could gain rather than lose.

The pictures shows value of assets I got via casual play - roughly 3B ISK, that is nearly 3 months of subscription paid with in-game currency.

The post was made to demonstrate that getting ISK and wealth is just another self-imposed barrier, a myth that tends to circulate about the game.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Gdemami said:
    The pictures shows value of assets I got via casual play - roughly 3B ISK, that is nearly 3 months of subscription paid with in-game currency.

The post was made to demonstrate that getting ISK and wealth is just another self-imposed barrier, a myth that tends to circulate about the game.
    You are a veteran of this game which gives you a huge advantage no matter how you look at it.  You know where to go, what to farm, how to build the ship, where to sell the items, which is 90% of the reason you succeeded in that endeavor.  If you know 3 out of 4 then you wont make 1/4 the money you have right now.  I'm guessing your location prevents you from selling that stuff which makes it all useless.  You can have 500 bil worth of items but if you are in the corner of space then its pretty much worthless.  Since you are a vet player I'm sure you already got that figured out.  But yea the game isn't as easy as you are claiming.  There is a ton of hidden knowledge you used to get what you have without even realizing it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited November 2015
    filmoret said:
    You are a veteran of this game which gives you a huge advantage no matter how you look at it.  You know where to go, what to farm, how to build the ship, where to sell the items, which is 90% of the reason you succeeded in that endeavor.  If you know 3 out of 4 then you wont make 1/4 the money you have right now.  I'm guessing your location prevents you from selling that stuff which makes it all useless.  You can have 500 bil worth of items but if you are in the corner of space then its pretty much worthless.  Since you are a vet player I'm sure you already got that figured out.  But yea the game isn't as easy as you are claiming.  There is a ton of hidden knowledge you used to get what you have without even realizing it.
    That is the point. People often say how new players are limited but the limitations are not imposed by game mechanics, you just need to be willing to learn.

The notion to "eveiseasy" is to series of videos showing how you can solo(!) PVP with minimal skill points - it demonstrates same principle I was putting up here, just in regards to making ISK.

Also, if you look carefully at the picture, I am sitting at Dodixie, one of the major high sec trade hubs. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    What exactly are those screens suppose to prove and where is the the proof this game is easy or tough?

You could have had vets help you attain loot,nobody here will know what you have been doing in the game.

For me it is not even a debate about weather Eve is tough or easy,it is about the game and it's lack of GAME.

To  me Eve is just like some pet project made 20 years ago,took awhile to get where it could release as a very small idea and struggled to get there.It has made a lot of money over the years but the devs seem to pocket it rather than revamp and rebuild and improve Eve and that would never sit well with me.

Their initial investment to release this game was small,so they have had enough money /profit to rebuild this game 20x over but as i said they rather pocket the profits.If i was a fan of this game i would be extremely frustrated with CCP because 8+ years later it has not really improved at all from what the game is missing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited November 2015
    Wizardry said:
    What exactly are those screens suppose to prove and where is the the proof this game is easy or tough?

You could have had vets help you attain loot,nobody here will know what you have been doing in the game.

For me it is not even a debate about weather Eve is tough or easy,it is about the game and it's lack of GAME.

To  me Eve is just like some pet project made 20 years ago,took awhile to get where it could release as a very small idea and struggled to get there.It has made a lot of money over the years but the devs seem to pocket it rather than revamp and rebuild and improve Eve and that would never sit well with me.

Their initial investment to release this game was small,so they have had enough money /profit to rebuild this game 20x over but as i said they rather pocket the profits.If i was a fan of this game i would be extremely frustrated with CCP because 8+ years later it has not really improved at all from what the game is missing.

I don't think eve's attraction is the pve aspects of the game.  There is so much to do in this game and I can't think one thing another mmo has that this game doesn't.  Unless you want something lame like walking around in the house you build even though no one really does that.  If you thought this game lacked content then you weren't looking hard enough.  Do the training missions under f12 screen and that will open your eyes.

As for your other arguments they have done a lot with this game they are currently developing VR headset module and they failed to launch a successful FPS module but they are working on another one.  Looks like Star Citizen cept without the lame overpriced ships and the ability to walk around in them which is so extremely important.

Are you onto something or just on something?