Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 4 review

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's both very good and very bad.  Angry Joe explains this well on his Youtube review,

Very good if you like attention to deep detail, however I find this aggravating but some would definitely find this fun.

- Bag space is very limited, you fill your bag quickly with things you need to carry such as weapons, ammo, armor and aids for repair, this leaves you limited space for carrying Junk.  Now junk is very important because of the detailed crafting system you need EVERYTHING. You'll find that harvesting and investigating every building is mandatory, this gets old very fast.  From coffee cups to silver forks, its all needed.  Now their are workarounds like having your companions carry some of the load, and storing stuff in crafting stations but you have to remember where you put them, then later you have to retrieve from where you put them.  Sure you can spend points is carrying more but you waste points for something so tedious.

- As in many of the reviews, spending only one point per level on such small things gives the feeling of not being able to accomplish your build. Speaking of builds Stealth sucks in this game.  My friend from work was right, I wasted too many points trying to be sneaky.  Everything sees you then you get rushed by everything on the map.  For me, a heavy build seems the only way to go.  Heavy guns, heavy armor, and lots of points in tanking.

- Same as Angry Joe, this game is FULL OF BUGS. He spends a lot of review time stressing this, and its worst than he rants about.  It's bad ! From broken quest that cant be turned in to bad camera angles and a terrible crafting build mode.  Placing a simple bed is aggravating.  Conversations with NPC's is so bad that you would wish you can avoid it, but can't. 

- Graphics, The world is lush, the lighting is good, close and far detail are good.  But with all this it still feels way out dated in ways that are hard to explain.  Something else, your character seems to be too big for inside buildings, same with monsters.  Sure it may not be noticeable to others but it pisses me off on my end.

- Ammo and stim packs are always low.  More often than not your quest will give you just the right amount as you loot and rummage around every cleared room but again it's tedious as hell.  Don't ever stop looting and rummaging, do it and do it hard !.....Radiation poison, You get this as you eat food instead of wasting precious stim packs.  Rid Away cures this, guess what ?....Your always low on Rid Away, and you always seemed poisoned.

Fallout 4 always keeps you wanting something !!!!!......Role play, yes !........Aggravating, yes !

There is soooo much to do in this game. 10 out of 10 for that.

This may be the most content filled game ever, congested in a simi small open world.  But ask yourself this;

- Are you willing to over look a boat load of bugs, and broken quest.

- Do you like VERY heavy harvesting, like constant in your face heavy harvesting! 

- Detail in EVERYTHING you do, providing for yourself constantly as in a real life event.

- Graphics that seems off in many ways, yet nice in others.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have not watched the Angry Joe video yet but i will ,his videos are usually good.

This  yet again proves why i hate point systems.They are basically asking you to allot points to make some areas just normal good while making other aspects really bad,how is that a win under any circumstance?

To really simplify the analogy,it is like looking at a car.They allow you to put points into using a key to start the car,then points to allow you to turn the steering wheel HOWEVER,if you do that you can't open the trunk or the doors lmao,that is really what point allotment systems do.

Yes i have watched MANY streamers and this game to me 99% looking for boring loot all the time.I was shocked that Reynad of Hearthstone fame was streaming this game yesterday.You could hear fire fight going on but all eh was doing was searching for that Duct tape and other crap.

No way could i remain excited in a game if all i do is search for loot every minute of the game,to me that is super boring.A similar example is that Romero game,that's all you do is run around searching for crap loot.For the most part the game at least from what i have watched seems really dead,yes i know it is an Apoc theme but it still looks boring dead.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    This is the Fallout series taken to the next level. Everything from previous games is there, plus loads more. 
    I haven't had this much fun since Fallout 3 ! :pleased: 

As for stealth, it requires REALLY being stealthy, like walking instead of running. Like picking sniper spots carefully and always having an escape route planned. Sneak is no longer "easy mode"...
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    This is the Fallout series taken to the next level. Everything from previous games is there, plus loads more. 
    I haven't had this much fun since Fallout 3 ! :pleased: 

As for stealth, it requires REALLY being stealthy, like walking instead of running. Like picking sniper spots carefully and always having an escape route planned. Sneak is no longer "easy mode"...

I'll admit, theirs a lot going on in this game.  Lots of content, lots of underground adventures with a lot of bosses. However the game is broken in a LOT of ways, and others are time sinks.

It could be a 9.5 out of 10, but the game has so much messed up its a 6 out of 10 !

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited November 2015
    Its because you are not playing the game the way it was meant to be played. 10 STR, 10 END, lots of stimpacks. Run around punching things and hope you don't run into a suicide mutant.
    Also no need for Duct Tape. Just grow Mutfruit and Corn.
    When playing in 3rd person, you need interiors scaled a certain way for it not to feel cramped. The interiors in the game are not scaled which makes it feel cramped. Play in 1st person with a larger FOV.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Stealth builds work VERY well, but it takes way too long to reach the required level to get all the needed perks. I noticed that right away and used a mod that removes level requirement from perks, because i didn't want to wait until say level 38 for perks that are essential for my favored playstyle.

Bag space is a thing that needs constant management. I haven't put a single point in strength and walk with meager 220. Due to my sneaky gameplay i don't engage in open firefights and such and barely need stimpacks, food or buffs which i had a gigaton of. So i put half of everything under "aid" into a locker and lost 20 weight. I usually leave the settlement with 140/220 and unless i loot a fat man or something, i'm ok with my bag space.

Ammo was always low to a point at which it hindered my ninja-sniper gameplay and forced me into close combat or using low dmg crackshot guns, so i went with the "craft ammo" mod. I don't overdo it here, but also don't see a point in leaving with 12 .308 bullets as a sniper. You can also still buy ammo, but it doesn't come cheap unless you invest points into charisma and all that barter stuff, which i never like to do. Or you go with the scavenger perk for more ammo loot.

Technically the game is very messy. The engine is older than time itself and the game is very poorly optimized, if at all. Many textures of lesser importance are 2048x2048, clog up your videoram while they still look all blurry, leading to poor fps and microstuttering. But this is Bethesda, they just don't care, they never did and i totally understand everyone who refuses to pay a single cent to these guys. So again it is up to the modders. Still for a Bethesda title, FO4 is one of the less buggier games in comparison.
    There are already texture optimisation packs in the making and many of them give huge FPS gains without decreasing visual quality.

Settlements are hit and miss altogether. The basic idea is awesome, but the execution lacks on so many levels that this whole systems feels like a mod in beta stage. Clipping annoys you to no end and at times make you fall back on using workarounds like the rug trick or console commands.
    Then you build a wall around your base, only to have attackers spawn right within it. Or you raise your defense to a reasonable level and never see any attacks.

I hear alot of people saying "but i dont use mods", "modding is cheating", "i expect a fully functional product without having to check the intarwebs for third party stuff" etc. I guess with Bethesda everyone should know what he's getting into. The game will shine once the construction kit gets released. Until then, we have to roll with what we have.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Love the game, games runs perfect. But I'm only lvl 17 so not sure when "bugs" might start coming in. So far hadn't had any bugs except the ingame critter bugs. 
    I must admit that due to it's immersive world I often side track en enter completely different area's then I was heading (quest), sometimes even picking up next quests and again get side tracked because I noticed something in another dirrection....
    With crafting I always use the track option for resources so I can ignore loot I don't need. Useless weapons I often loot mainly for bottlecaps. I wished I could craft ammo though I do know there is a mod out there for it. But I never use mods before I have completed a game...call me wierd...

But the game offers so many different variatie's in how to play the game and I am sure that there is allot more I will discover and explore and learn. Timesinks are there but they can be widly ignored depending on your build. I just happen to like these type of timesinks but that might be because I play many different type of games and a RPG/Shooter like Fallout is that game I do not need to rush and explore that gameworld as if I was there.....that's RPG for me...

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    edited November 2015
    Played more now to force myself to get my money's worth and it's just a poor-mans Borderlands 2, doing everything worse than Borderlands.

You really can't sneak to where you need to get to as no matter what, the 5 super mutants will get to you and rip you apart, and without using the VATS you hardly hit them even if they are standing right in front of you, but the VATS only allows you 1-5 shots using your action points, so you are still fooked by that one and the others.

The micromanagement is taken to the nth degree and spoils the game.  You need to micromanage settlements (but why are they even in the game, how do they help you?) , ammo, radiation and bag space.  I want to play and make progress each time I log in for an hour, but people are completing the game in under 40 hours, so clearly there really isn't the need to spend hours scrapping stuff for the settlements etc - is it just a gimmick to make you think there is more content?

Want to build anything specific, guess what, you will be missing at least 2 resources with no idea where to find them and good luck if you can be bothered to keep going through lots of loading screens to just fast travel and then open doors.

For what is 95% a shooter i.e. no intellect required for quests, or thinking, just go to a place a clear it, and another, the shooting engine or whatever the technical term is, is very poor.  If the game is meant to be a shooter, then I'd like to see it polished like Destiny, not hit and miss, if you hit something that you know you did.

The more I play, the more effort required to force myself to play, and I actually like this genre of game, though perhaps a little more RPG and less shooting.

I would also liken it to the Secret World (though yes, that's an MMO) but TSW actually has a lot more going for it and you need to actually think for the quests - seeing as the game is buy to play, I would say that is a better option also.
    Post edited by mark2123 on
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Stealth works just fine if you know how to use it. It's not instant invisibility like other Bethesda games which is a definite improvement. Now you have to be mindful of several factors like what you are wearing, the light levels, which way whatever you're sneaking past is looking and how noisy your weapons are. If you are sneaking and you fire off a shotgun you are going to get rushed by everything in the area. Suppressor Mods are key to successfully sneak attacking with any ranged weapon.

Stealth takes a lot of thought and preparation now instead of some nonsense stat that makes you invisible as soon as you crouch. This in my honest opinion is one of the most awesome new features in this game and definitively makes it the best Stealth system Bethesda has done to date.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TezcatlapoccaTezcatlapocca Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Just another game from Bethesda that the modding community will have to fix.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Brenelael said:
    Stealth works just fine if you know how to use it. It's not instant invisibility like other Bethesda games which is a definite improvement. Now you have to be mindful of several factors like what you are wearing, the light levels, which way whatever you're sneaking past is looking and how noisy your weapons are. If you are sneaking and you fire off a shotgun you are going to get rushed by everything in the area. Suppressor Mods are key to successfully sneak attacking with any ranged weapon.

Stealth takes a lot of thought and preparation now instead of some nonsense stat that makes you invisible as soon as you crouch. This in my honest opinion is one of the most awesome new features in this game and definitively makes it the best Stealth system Bethesda has done to date.

Bren
    I guess lots of people today have a different perception of stealth. To them it is bullrushing and wrecking faces with a shotgun while being totally invisible and the enemies having no clue where is coming from.

With the right perks, one piece of chameleon gear and a VATS enhanced sword (-40%AP) i even kill veterans with a single attack and without turning visible. But it requires some preparation and often i have to clear out a compound from range with a silenced rifle first, which can take me quite a while and patience.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I just saw on tv they announced during football that fallout 4 is the best game ever, they were serious too.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Bought into fallout 4 late (Just the other day)

Fallout 4 is definitely a game of the year contender. It's amazing how the NPCs talk with one another and have conversations and you just feel like your apart of the world. I always seem to die in the strangest of ways, but it's because im a noob and hopefully ill get better...

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

To me what makes it great is the constant management of resources because that is in my interest on game play.

Stealth is tricky but makes it realistic. I find shoot and wait to work best and putting points in the perks does help a lot. I don't like the entire zone on my ass so silencer is a must.

It may not be for everyone but to me it is top notch and fun.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Some inspiration here to give it more of a try.

Fallout 4 has a lot of content. What you see above ground is only part of it, and the quest often make you dig deep into amazing dungeon adventures that I will miss.

So far, I ran into two game breaking bugs where I spent a lot of time only to be ignored at turn in time. Reloading back didn't help.  This and harvesting everything got to me.

Like I say Lots of good, and Lots of bad !!

Has anyone figured out how to reset your action points yet ?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2015

Has anyone figured out how to reset your action points yet ?

Want to remove them in V.A.T.S after placing them? Think it's tab to remove spent AP.

If you mean Perk Points I think there's a mod out now that can do it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Tybost said:
    Bought into fallout 4 late (Just the other day)

Fallout 4 is definitely a game of the year contender. It's amazing how the NPCs talk with one another and have conversations and you just feel like your apart of the world. I always seem to die in the strangest of ways, but it's because im a noob and hopefully ill get better...

Witcher 3 is by far a much better, and bigger, game than Fallout 4, if anything it makes Fallout 4 look a bit embarassing for Bethesda, which is using, still, an incredibly dated engine that really should have been taken out the back and shot a few years ago, and it really shows in Fallout 4, not to mention that the console port to PC is not a very good one, that right off the bat, Fallout 4 needs so many things fixing, more so on PC at that, than Witcher 3 ever did, is very telling.
    Once the modders have got their hands on it and fixed it up, then maybe Fallout 4 will be a contender for 2016, but for this year, even Black Ops3 is a far better contender than Fallout 4.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    You can skip conversations, my 2 cents for your review.  You have some more playing to do before reviewing mate.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2015
    Personally Witcher 3 is too story driven for my liking (and not a very good story IMO). I've had way more fun in Fallout 4s world exploring than the Witcher 3. I got a bored quicker in W3 and its replay value is terrible.

I still think Vanilla Skyrim is a better game than W3 and that was released in 2011.

Also, I don't see how W3 can justify an extra £10 purchase price for a lesser experience. I do feel a little stupid paying for it now, should've waited for a sale.

Another thing is I do prefer first person view games over 3rd.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    I really don't get how people can compare the Witcher series to any Bethesda game. I spend hundreds of hours in any given Bethesda game and still find new things. I spent a grand total of about 20 hours playing Witcher 2 and had no desire to play again as I felt I had seen everything the game had to offer. I didn't even bother with the Witcher 3. I may still pick it up if it's on sale at some point. Now I'm not saying the Witcher games are bad... they just don't have nearly the replayability of any Bethesda game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    DMKano said:

Brenelael said:
    I really don't get how people can compare the Witcher series to any Bethesda game. I spend hundreds of hours in any given Bethesda game and still find new things. I spent a grand total of about 20 hours playing Witcher 2 and had no desire to play again as I felt I had seen everything the game had to offer. I didn't even bother with the Witcher 3. I may still pick it up if it's on sale at some point. Now I'm not saying the Witcher games are bad... they just don't have nearly the replayability of any Bethesda game.

Bren

Also the assumption that everyone actually wants to play as Geralt is a huge negative for those who dislike Geralt.

Witcher series would be so much better if there were options to play as other characters 
    Isn't that generally true of almost every story based game ever? If you didn't play as the witcher, it wouldn't be the witcher, it would be something else. That is like saying you don't like playing lara croft in tomb raiders or I dunno, you don't like being the chosen snowflake in Skyrim. If you didn't play as Geralt in the witcher, you'd have a totally different game and then there would be people who didn't like that character. 
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I don't see the game as broken at all. To me all the searching for stuff is EXACTLY what you would do if you were in a post apocalyptic world just starting out. If I am the guy that goes out into the world and brings back what is needed for my stronghold, that is what I do!

I have about 24 hours into the game and I have not gotten bored with it at all. I have barely covered 1/4 of the map and I keep going back through the areas that I missed to fill them in. Every time I find a new compound or base or village I keep hoping I will find something awesome. Sometimes I go through an entire village and find nothing better than what I had... then I think. Huh, someone in the past 200 years must have picked this place over pretty good. Any time I find a gun just laying around, there are dead bodies too so it is obvious that someone raided the place and killed everyone. 

To me, this might be the most realistic survival game I have ever found. 

My only gripes are with the interface. Consoles have extremely limited command capabilities, but I just wish I could click on my people and stuff and tell them what to do. I still haven't really figured out how to assign people to stuff in my base. 

One of the best things I have found is the Pip Boy App for my tablet. I set it up on the left side of my keyboard and use it exactly as I would in real life. The fact that the app links with my computer is so awesome. More games need to do this.
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    DMKano said:
    Erinak1 said:
    DMKano said:

Brenelael said:

Bren

Also the assumption that everyone actually wants to play as Geralt is a huge negative for those who dislike Geralt.

Witcher series would be so much better if there were options to play as other characters 
    Isn't that generally true of almost every story based game ever? If you didn't play as the witcher, it wouldn't be the witcher, it would be something else. That is like saying you don't like playing lara croft in tomb raiders or I dunno, you don't like being the chosen snowflake in Skyrim. If you didn't play as Geralt in the witcher, you'd have a totally different game and then there would be people who didn't like that character. 

Options - leave Geralt in for those who like him, have options to create other characters for those who dont. Everyone wins.

But then how do you tell the story? I mean you can choose your gender and looks in Fallout 4 but everyone gets the same basic story, the same character. If you had a whole new character then you wouldn't have made the Witcher 3 with a different character, you'd have made something else. Witcher: New Guy.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    i'm not sure i understand the sniper issue my fully decked out hunting rifle turned sniper rifle kills legendary skull star super mutants with 5 shots in the head from 200yrds away while in sneak mode. im so far away they dont even give chase. bestheda was smart with the sniper rule. "the 2nd shot is what gives you away" shot once and wait for hiden to come back up and you'll never get wacked again
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Loving it so far! I have a stealth build and I think its fine. If you shoot a .308 rifle indoors(or any gun) everyone is going to hear has nothing to do with sneaking. I use sneaking to get a good alpha strike, then go hide again. I've had 0 mission bugs and maybe a dozen graphic bugs at most.
    The building ui is lame, needs update.

I have tons of stimpacks and other heals. I almost never die from regular gunfights. Only when some big baddie gets too close and melees me. I play on default difficulty.

The carrying capacity is frustrating but I shouldn't be able to carry 50 toasters anyway.

It does seem that certain rigs have more problems than others.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Imagine Vault Dweller 111 Drops a Fat Man on Geralt. I don't think theres a Tonic that can save him from this one.