Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• bone15bone15 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    amd is still the worst. to much heat output. to high power con. to many driver problems. and that is not even close to 980 ti.. they compare a reference 980 ti to a custom Fury x... what a bunch of idiots..

gtx 980 ti is about 30% better overall its cooler,lower power use, better drivers
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    bone15 said:
    amd is still the worst. to much heat output. to high power con. to many driver problems. and that is not even close to 980 ti.. they compare a reference 980 ti to a custom Fury x... what a bunch of idiots..

gtx 980 ti is about 30% better overall its cooler,lower power use, better drivers
    Disregarding some uneducated drivel, number of people concerned about 980 ti and fury x performance is minimal.

But you would know that if you actually READ the link.
    If people made informed (educated) decisions dell would be out of business (for instance).

Thats kinda not teh point.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking foward to Crimson. 
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    bone15 said:

That's all bullshit. I don't know why you would lie like that unless you really don't know what you're talking about. Heat output? It's a liquid cooled card, it doesn't have any heat problems anymore. High power? Maybe. Driver problems? AMD cards are getting a driver overhaul with Crimson. Do research before you buy. Don't be uninformed and just by Nvidia when AMD is the clear cut winner.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    bone15 said:

The reference Fury X is liquid cooled.  I haven't seen any custom Fury X cards.

As for lower power use, it doesn't matter that much in a desktop.  But if you're going to argue for Maxwell over AMD today on the basis of power use, I sure hope you dismissed the GeForce 400 and 500 series out of hand as being power hogs and argued for AMD instead back in 2010-2011.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Windows 10? No thanks.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    For power usage I just hope no one is using a 144Hz 1440p panel with a NVIDIA card. (http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Testing-GPU-Power-Draw-Increased-Refresh-Rates-using-ASUS-PG279Q)

And cards like 280X, 290, 290X, 390X are so far ahead of NVIDIA equivalents is not even fun.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    For what it's worth, I have not one but three 144 Hz monitors plugged in to a Radeon R9 Fury X.  Measured system idle power (as I type this, incidentally) is 121 W.  Three monitors take a lot more power than one.

Really, though, that might be just a driver bug (high idle clock speeds) that Nvidia is working on fixing.  Nvidia has asserted that they can fix it, though it's also possible that Nvidia has to keep the clock speed up some in order to push so many pixels at such high frame rates.
  • sZakootaisOPsZakootaisOP Member UncommonPosts: 19
    AMD was different in start, they were more concern about Users experience, now they are like battling with Nvidia to be the best. C'mon those who buy Nvidia will keep buying Nvidia .. Those who buy AMD will stay with AMD. Both companies have enough loyal customer base, yet AMD is more focused on dominating Nvidia, while taking away the leverage of users to choose the platform of AMD choice.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I am sorry but the current AMD drivers, after all these years, are still total garbage.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Cryptor said:
    I am sorry but the current AMD drivers, after all these years, are still total garbage.

never had a problem with AMD drivers

do you actually know what you are doing with your PC?

because if you have issues for years with GPU drivers, the problem is you
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited November 2015
    Over all the AMD drivers since 2008 has been superior to the NVidia drivers. The only real hiccup was the drivers about 6 months ago having weird issues with scaleform which is used for UI in the majority of Triple A titles.
    That is unless you consider drivers that destroy your GPU to be better.
    I will say that AMD Linux Drivers suck.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    bone15 said:
    amd... to many driver problems. 
    I was a die hard AMD fan for many years, up until almost 2 years ago I switched to Nvidia. I wasn't always having driver problems, but after many years of just weird glitches and things just not working 100% correctly, it was a driver problem that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I still have a soft spot for AMD, but I dont' miss having to deal with driver problems not working 100% correctly with whatever game or applications I might be using. Again, this didn't happen on a regular basis, but enough for it to be a nuisance. Since switching to Nvidia, I can't remember the last time I had any driver problems. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I just dont care what AMD says anymore, they try and sell their 2 series cards by stating their mantel tech will make them worth it, then cancel their mantel tech making the 2 series under performing pieces of shit.

I dont care how well their shit performs, they are liars and profiteers. Not to mention their lack of ability to remain competitive with Nvidia. Just an all around shit company really, not that Nvidia is much better, but at least they dont lie to sell their products.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I was (maybe still am) an Nvidia van.  I have an AMD card now and have never had driver issues.
    This is good news.  I am looking to replace my card soon and will have to check out the  best bang for the buck at the time regardless of who makes it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    They didn't cancel Mantle. Its apart of Vulkan now. Mantle would never gain traction if it was only supported by AMD GPUs. Much like how PhysX, 3D Vision, and gSync are more gimmick. When they released the R9 200s I don't remember thinking, I have to get this for Mantle. It was understandable that it would not be proprietary.
    The main reason I got an AMD card was because it was several hundred cheaper for similar performance.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Complaining about AMD drivers is one of the oldest, worst and least accurate arguments. Both AMD and Nvidia have good and bad drivers, good and bad support for different cards. Go on one of the main discussion sites about drivers (guru3d.com) and look at how happy people are with nvidia's drivers at the moment (hint: they're really not).

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    edited November 2015
    bone15 said:

Stop the fanboy crap.

I own 970 and my friend 390 and it is a better gpu then mine, even with my 970 running at 1600/2000

Heat output you say ? bullshit man depends on wich brand you pick, his sapphire runs a little hotter not even 5 celcius on full load.

Power consumtion ? this myth has been busted long time ago, it would take many many years to gain anything out of it and the better the gpu the closer they get specialy with the titans x / 980ti's / Fury X its almost dead even.

And drivers ? man i have nothing but major problems ever since i switched to W10 with Nvidia.
    Gsync problems / gpu usage problems / Geforce Expirience bugging out or causing problems.

Go to Nvidia Reddit / Nvidia Forums and walk back here to see the major issues Nvidia has past year with their shit drivers.

Times have realy changed, and its no secret AMD gpu's age much much better.
    Just compare 600 series versus 7900 series to see how good their gpu get along with times.
    or compare the 200 / 300 series versus the 900 series.
    And now the Fury's vs the TitanX / 980Ti

I know i switch to AMD if the 16mn gpu's arrive and they are on par.
    Nvidia has become to greedy and also starts forcing us to use Geforce Expirience for day one game driver profiles.

But hey haters gonne hate.
    Fanboys gotte fanboy.

• l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited November 2015
    Why does anyone here give a crap about power usage and heat?
    You can get 1KW power supplies for cheap. The darn thing has a heatsink on it.
    You should really only worry about performance and not marketing gimmicks.
    Besides the cost difference between an AMD card and a Nvidia one will more than pay for the amount of power it uses.
    The yearly cost of 400 watts is like only $200! ... so you pay $500 more for a GPU to save $50 in electricity? are you dumb?
    edited November 2015
    Anyone who say something of "AMD drivers" should just be ignored guys, they can live in their little fairy tale.

Along with anyone who mentions power consumption without presenting calculation on how much hes gonna save exactly. There are certainly some special cases where its justified, but gaming is really not one of those things.

heat is non issue, cooling technology has advanced greatly since those little 40 mm buzzers back in the day. Unless you are building some specific things (and those who build them will already know)

The only matter today is performance. If GPU A performs better than B and costs the same then ill buy A, and i dont really care that much whose it is.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I have been using nvidia for years and have never ever had any problems. I am not switching just of because of some random small % performance improvement.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Malabooga said:
    Anyone who say something of "AMD drivers" should just be ignored guys, they can live in their little fairy tale.

Along with anyone who mentions power consumption without presenting calculation on how much hes gonna save exactly. There are certainly some special cases where its justified, but gaming is really not one of those things.

heat is non issue, cooling technology has advanced greatly since those little 40 mm buzzers back in the day. Unless you are building some specific things (and those who build them will already know)

The only matter today is performance. If GPU A performs better than B and costs the same then ill buy A, and i dont really care that much whose it is.
    You are entitled to your opinion or should we just "ignore you" if we don't agree with your point. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

edited November 2015
    fivoroth said:
    Malabooga said:

You are entitled to your opinion or should we just "ignore you" if we don't agree with your point. 
    What opinion? Youre not going to switch to something superior. Your choice. I want most for my money. If you want to throw it away thats your business. Justifiying that with some fairy tale is, well, stoopid. And yeah, thats also not an opinion.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2015
    I've never understood this loyalty to a brand. At some point you would've wasted money on an inferior ATI/AMD card in the past, same with NVIDIA.

It will be the same with future cards aswell.