Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a lost healer find his way back home.

sargos7sargos7 Member UncommonPosts: 77
My first mmo was Runescape. Then I played WoW. I got into healing in WoW, and that became my favorite thing to do in an mmo. After WoW changed too much for my tastes, and I wasn't willing to pay for the expansions anymore, I played quite a few different mmo's and stuck with Tera for a decent amount of time, but not long enough to get to max level. Then I just stopped playing mmo's altogether for a while. I liked Tera, and I was even ok with the quirky healing style, but the problem I had with it was that there wasn't enough group content. There was like a 10 level span with absolutely no dungeons I could queue up for. That killed it for me.

But I'm starting to miss healing, and want to find a new mmo. The problem is that most reviews seem to be geared toward people who play as dps, so it's difficult to figure out which mmo's are fun to play as a healer.

Just one caveat, if you will indulge me- I want to be able to level up pretty much exclusively by running dungeons, so that has to be something that is common in the game. Unless, of course, the quests are actually fun and entertaining, rather than kill 10 rats type quests.

Old games are fine, but if you suggest an old game, you can't just say "it's a classic, you whipper snapper!" you have to actually tell me about the healing in the game.

<.<

Comments

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I suggest FFXIV - It has decent amount of group contents, regular updates and you'll enjoy it as a healer. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I agree FFXIV is probably your best bet, but a word of caution going into it.  Progression is heavily story based.  This in and of itself isn't a big deal, but you will be forced to quest in order to progress after level cap.  I would recommend picking BLM or ACN as your first class, then go back and level the healing class of your choice as your second so that you can queue dungeons exclusively from 1 - 60.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SWTOR has some fun healing as well, and the class stories are very different from your average MMO quests. (A lot more RPGish)

Dungeons are easy to queue for as well if you want to level through those (the first one starts at level 10 and from there on you can easily keep doing them until 65).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think there is a single game left where you will find steady group healing.Everything now is designed to solo then que up for some dungeon,yep every single game is now an Asian MMO from 15 years ago.

Too bad you jumped on the Wow bandwagon,FFXI was 100% full on healing at all times.Full grouping game,no xp for questing,no hand holding of any kind.It actually made it fun and enjoyable to learn things because they were not gift wrapped for you,as you had to discover everything.

I think or hopefully Pantheon or perhaps Elyria might be grouping games,possibly 1 or 2 more will come about in the next 1-2 years.The genre seriously needs it,we definitely do not need anymore Wow/EQ2 clones.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sargos7sargos7 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Wizardry said:
    Too bad you jumped on the Wow bandwagon
    There wasn't a bandwagon when I started playing WoW. I was part of the crowd that created band. Or the Wagon. Or something like that.

<.<

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    EQ2 TLE server
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    AoC's bear shaman is my favourite, a really fun healer (tempest is nice too), but that's a "quest" game - it has awesome dungeons (some of them among the best ones in the genre overall) but you won't level up by running dungeons, since there's only a couple during the way to the levelcap.

If Tera was your favourite because of the gamestyle, maybe you could check Neverwinter. Cleric is fun, and you can level up exclusively by running dungeons.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited November 2015
    Po_gg said:
    If Tera was your favourite because of the gamestyle, maybe you could check Neverwinter. Cleric is fun, and you can level up exclusively by running dungeons.
    These days you can also playing a Pally healer. Never tried it though, since I left shortly after err... module 6 (I think?) went live. The one that completely ruined all the endgame content for a long time. xD

So my Pally only made it until the mid-twenties or so before I decided there was very little point in continuing.

Edit: In the spirit of fairness, they're supposed to have resolved that mess by now, and the game can be pretty fun as a whole.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    SWTOR has some fun healing as well, and the class stories are very different from your average MMO quests. (A lot more RPGish)

Dungeons are easy to queue for as well if you want to level through those (the first one starts at level 10 and from there on you can easily keep doing them until 65).
    I've leveled a couple of healer classes by just doing FPs. Like you said easily doable, queuing won't be a problem and if you found WoW fun SWTOR plays very much like it.

• sargos7sargos7 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited November 2015
    Po_gg said:
    I remember my friends telling me something about Neverwinter Nights over 10 years ago... I thought that was a single player game or something? Or are those two different games?

Edit: just read the Wikipedia page... interesting stuff. I might have to check that one out.

<.<

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    IMO almost every MMO out there has 'good' healing classes. But IMO the one in Lineage II is still the best, even after the changes that came with Goddess of Destruction...
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2015
    sargos7 said:
    Po_gg said:
    I remember my friends telling me something about Neverwinter Nights over 10 years ago... I thought that was a single player game or something? Or are those two different games?

Edit: just read the Wikipedia page... interesting stuff. I might have to check that one out.
    Nope, it's different :wink: (Neverwinter Nights could be a good candidate as well, since it has multiplayer / co-op part and even persistent online part too. But I'd suggest only if you have a party of friends already.)

Neverwinter is an action-y, mouse-target game with only a few skills available at once (in mind of controllers and console people). Because of that action-y gamestyle, it doesn't have a "full" healer - if someone is dumb and/or careless about dodging, you won't be able to save him :wink: It's more about AoE healing, buff/debuff, and some damage.
    edit: a short review about the powers https://youtu.be/NkAHXvAHGRA?t=4m10s
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Because the elephant wasn't mentioned yet, go play WoW
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited November 2015
    Imo the best healing design in a any mmo i have played was the white mage in ff11, but that game is about very hard monster killing in a group. It has plenty of dungeons and a tonne of story quests that can be very very challenging. But you dont really level by running quests or dungeons, you level by finding a safe camp free of spawns and farming extremely hard mobs with your party.

FF14 also has some good healer mechanics, just not as good as ff11 imo. In ff11 positioning is important, controlling your hate generating from casting and keeping up casts in a system that does not rely on global cooldown timers for easy mode.