Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What ever happened to EQN?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

All of the recent videos on EQN's website seem to just show art assets from Landmark.  Are there any recent updates about EQN itself?  Is it dead?

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    might be downsized content wise.  i think their company was bought out or sth happened like a merger i dont recall, but it wasn't good news for the game designers.  i think their new parent company came in and kinda told em to just get the game out there sooner rather than later at the cost of quality.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, SOE was acquired by DBG.  My guess, and it's just that, is that DBG is much more interested in milking their existing properties than in developing EQN.  Do you guys think their silence about EQN is an indication of this?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    My guess is they went back to the drawing board. I think their experiment failed. DeyBroke Games bet the farm and lost. Someone realized, EQN, as it is now would at worst, be a huge failure, at best, JAFMMORPG to add to the pile.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Yeah, SOE was acquired by DBG.  My guess, and it's just that, is that DBG is much more interested in milking their existing properties than in developing EQN.  Do you guys think their silence about EQN is an indication of this?

Obviously. Based on years long EQN silence, layoffs and all their activities throughout this year, it is very likely that when EQN launches (IF it launches) we will barely recognize it.

Speaking of your "Is it dead?" - you could phrase it that way depending on semantics. I, for example, did.
     W...aaagh?
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    edited October 2015
    what usually happens:

The designers have huge plans, create tons of hype. After a few years of development, they realize they can't deliver in any conceivable amount of time and/or on their current budget. Decisions then need to be made to either:

1. Cut back on features, plan on adding them back in after release. Then "finish" the game at it's current state.
            a. Once the game is released, players realize there isn't enough content to keep them entertained and move on.
            b. The developers realize there is a lot more maintenance than previously thought and don't have enough resources to implement the wanted features they left out.

2. Go into a paid development mode (early release) and ask for subs/pre-orders in order to increase funding to accomplish their original goals.
            a. Players get disgruntled at paying for a "beta" quality game when they were expecting release. This sends them to forums to post negative comments that drive other players away.
            b. Refer to 1-b.

3. Completely abandon the project to focus on the money makers.

4. (ok, not a "usual" option) Avoid this entirely by creating a hype train so long they can ride on 10's of millions of player dollars for as much dev time as they need.
            a. Results in controversy, disgruntled backers, bad press, mistrust and lies. yay!

GAME DEVELOPMENT IS FUN!
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    edited October 2015
    Just because I like more facts than opinions:

• DBG did not buy SOE.  SOE was sold to a investment firm and  then SOE renamed itself to Daybreak.
    • DBG has stated several times that the game was still in active development 
    • DBG has recently ,as in the last month,  said they were doing internal combat testing  on the game
    • Assets from landmark are assets for EQN, that is the reason we have landmark
    • Nobody has any idea about the state of the game other than its being actively developed, everything else is pure speculation on the part of the poor ignorant masses (that's us)

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    edited November 2015
    This game will never be released..its dead...or weill be..black dessert allready has way better gfx and content than this minecraft game..it looks like this game has more focus on who can build the best house rather than focus on the real game..or did i misunderstand the game concepts?  Its not a mmoprg but a minecraft game ?

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Psycrovv said:
    This game will never be released..its dead...or weill be..black dessert allready has way better gfx and content than this minecraft game..it looks like this game has more focus on who can build the best house rather than focus on the real game..or did i misunderstand the game concepts?  Its not a mmoprg but a minecraft game ?
    The OP is talking about EQ next, You are talking about Landmark.   Supposedly they switched focus from landmark to EQ next a while back , and ever since they did both  games have kind of died development wise.  Or at least what they are working on EQN they don't seem to be sharing.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I've not paid much attention to EQN up until now so thought I would check out their social media, website and forums.  The lack of anything being broadcast or updated tells it's own story and any development team that has no progress to report would be too much of a risk I would suggest.  I guess this game is now dead.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I never thought I would say this but I kind of miss Smed. He could always be counted on to be goaded into tweeting info about EQN.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its pulling a Titan and being made into a third person shooter....just watch.
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited November 2015
    As there is an investment company who owns Daybreak Games, there is always a risk they split up their games in small pieces and auction them out individually (Voxel engine, EQ, Planetside, etc...). Silence is often a bad sign, but I really hope they will manage this.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Give it up.
    While I won't say there will never be a game released titled "EQN", I very much doubt it will be a full scale AAA MMORPG.

Actually, maybe I will say it won't release.......kinda on the fence about that one.
  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    every MMO that takes longer than 3 years is vaporware?

WoW 4 years
    ESO 7 years
    SWTOR 5 years
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

WoW 4 years
    ESO 7 years
    SWTOR 5 years
    Time taken to develop is not the issues, but time=money and you don't spend either without continually fostering a following.  The fact they are not courting publicity and giving updates means it's finished, or due for a total re-think.
  • giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66

WoW 4 years
    ESO 7 years
    SWTOR 5 years
    How do these games meet the definition? In the computer industry, vaporware is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled.:
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    well. The change of ownership and restructure probably did not do anything to speed up the development. 

My guess is we will see a new burst of info at the start of the new year once people get back from the holidays. Maybe with a smaller thing before to keep the game in the minds of people. 

Me.. I only care to see how the deformable terrain turns out, because digging around in landmark was a lot more fun than it had any right to be. 

This have been a good conversation

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Art assets is all they have ever had to show,they have done very little work on this game.

Recently like 2 months ago they made claim that they had moved everyone over the EQn but for how long is anyone's guess and further acknowledges that they only put in minimal effort on it.

To me it is rather simple,this is a go between game,they will work on the profit making games as much as possible and work on Next in between when nothing is going on.

As everyone should have noticed they were working on the two expansion packs for EQ and EQ2,so doubt there was any such case of moving all in on Next as they claimed.I would say almost NOTHING was done aside from some textures,however now that the expacks are done they'll likely move back onto Next for a bit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    As far as I'm concerned it's vapor-ware, (I'd love to be proved wrong) but even if it is released it won't be what we hoped for... it'll be just like Trove cept better gfx.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Wizardry said:
    Art assets is all they have ever had to show,they have done very little work on this game.

I guess you missed out on Landmark then.... Sure it is not a living MMO but it is a *bleeep* lot more than just "art assets" 

This have been a good conversation

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Enjoy the wait guys. Landmark is so taxing on your system i wager its meant to be released in 2017 and beyond because no computer in their right mind could play Landmark right now at any reasonable frame rate. Id wager Everquest Next will be the same as well if not worse Its just the way its built. You think thats its poor optimization whats causing the dropped frames but Its because theres so much data on your computer screen it can't compute it all in manner without the hardware. Think of it as this way. You can get 2 works of art one made of plastic the other marble. the marble one took tons more work than something that was modeled to make it appear to look good. EQNext is made of marble. It gives you no illusion, no lighting tricks or plasticness about it. Its pretty much wholeness and its better quality than say guild wars 2. Eastern games seem so made up of plastic to me. that's just my opinion.
  • chamazulchamazul Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Ye... well i stopped logging into landmark cause my PC just couldn't handle it, if the game doesn't crash as soon as i start loading the world it will when i start walking :( Makes one sad, if it could run smoothly i bet there would be more people interested in appearing even once in a while.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Enjoy the wait guys. Landmark is so taxing on your system i wager its meant to be released in 2017 and beyond because no computer in their right mind could play Landmark right now at any reasonable frame rate. Id wager Everquest Next will be the same as well if not worse Its just the way its built. You think thats its poor optimization whats causing the dropped frames but Its because theres so much data on your computer screen it can't compute it all in manner without the hardware. Think of it as this way. You can get 2 works of art one made of plastic the other marble. the marble one took tons more work than something that was modeled to make it appear to look good. EQNext is made of marble. It gives you no illusion, no lighting tricks or plasticness about it. Its pretty much wholeness and its better quality than say guild wars 2. Eastern games seem so made up of plastic to me. that's just my opinion.
    huh? Landmark plays at ~40FPS with everything maxed but shadows on my computer (which is over 3 years old by now) yet the game engine doesn't even support DX11 yet and they aren't done with their optimizations.