Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 4 is.... Short

Comments

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Whether the OP rushed through the game, or whatever, is  irrelevant, he played it how he chose to.

And now for my own completely anecdotal opinion; I have some 80-odd hours played, my character just turned 31, I have 11 or 12 well-established settlements (and I have seen some 5 or 6 settlement attacks), and I have maxxed three companions so far.

I still can't wait to get home each night and get more shit done. I stay up WAY longer than I should playing the game.

So the term "short" is relative. For me, I got my money's worth like ten hours ago, and I have a lot more to go.

Oh, in all that time I have experienced 2 crash-to-desktops, 3 video glitches that forced a reboot and that's it.

Terry
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    You joined the BoS? I couldn't do it. The whole "you're too stupid for tech, so we're taking it from you because we know better" arrogance was enough for me to come back ten minutes later with Dogmeat and the minigun. Shield/Hearth out of this one, Danse. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Except for the fact that I didn't rush the game. Sure I didn't crawl through every square foot of the game but wow. I could probably finish the main story in a few hours if I honestly tried.
    That's wierd. My flatmate has been playing Fallout 4 a lot since launch and he says he's no where near done with the game. He said he could easily play it for another month.

Also when you are talking about something being short, you might want to give us an indication of how long you played. Did you play for 5 hours? 10? 20? Short is a relative thing. FOr me a game that lasts me 20 hours is not short at all, for some people 20 hours is extremely short. 

So how long did you play the game? And did you only focus on the main storyline? I remember playing Skyrim a lot but if I purely focused on getting the main quest done I would've probably finished it in 8-10 hours especially if I focused on nothing else and kinda rushed.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Pynda said:
    I think you guys barking at the OP for rushing might be overlooking one pertinent fact. If your character can indeed have the power to complete a main story line when rushing, then I would consider the whole game design seriously flawed. A good open world RPG should absolutely require you to complete a LOT of minor content before you will even stand a remote chance of being able to finish.

But sadly, in my view there are more implications of most games being "console ports" these days than just accommodating for their technical shortcomings.
    This is just ridiculous. This has always been how it worked with Bethesda games. They give you the freedom (gaaaaasp, the freedom!) to focus on the main story and finish it quickly.

Also I love how you threw in the "console port" comment in there for no good reason. For some reason every time I hear those console comments, I instantly lose respect for the poster. It just comes across as pointless PC jerk elitism and I hate PC jerk elitist and I am not a big console player.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I wouldn't call it short, but I would say that the settlement system isn't really worth doing, and the repeat(or do they not repeat and just FEEL repetitive?) quests for BoS, Minutemen, and Railroad feel pretty weak and get old early on. 

The rest is pretty awesome.  And bigger/better/more than the previous games.  Power Armor being a special thing is pretty cool.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    The real shock here is to see people spend so much money on games just to rush to end game. What do you expect? Get a bone with it?

End Game = end of the game and that is it. There is nothing there anymore to play with, except the original content you already done or should i say skip! Now go back into the game and do side quest, explore, etc. until you completed everything then the game is over. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Robsolf said:
    I wouldn't call it short, but I would say that the settlement system isn't really worth doing, and the repeat(or do they not repeat and just FEEL repetitive?) quests for BoS, Minutemen, and Railroad feel pretty weak and get old early on. 

The rest is pretty awesome.  And bigger/better/more than the previous games.  Power Armor being a special thing is pretty cool.
    Each faction has some unique quests that advance the faction quest line and also repetitive ones that repopulate and restock previously cleared areas if they happen to send you to one. I skip a lot of those unless I'm trying to get more influence with a companion that likes that faction. Mostly I just like to wander around finding trouble and mats for weapon and armor mods. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited November 2015
    Young Man finishes game. Is upset it didn't take as long as he felt it should have. Makes thread about it. Overuses the word 'literally' a lot. [mod edit] Game is good. I'm 'literally' approaching 50+ hours. Literally.

Literally.
  • vlad1500vlad1500 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Okay so, I went back to the game for more quests and it turns out they're repeatable. I've visited various locations on the map to 'help the settlements' which turns out is simply resetting the instance so I can clear it again and get more loot.

The only quests in my log now are from these repeatables. I can safely say I beat the game last night. Sure I didn't get all 50 achievements. To be honest, being an achievement whore is boring and a lot of busy work for no reward. You all can say I rushed the game all you want. Honestly I think you all are stuck in a repeatable quest loop and you don't even know it.
    Open world RPGs is not the game for you. i would suggest playing adventure games instead. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Whether the OP rushed through the game, or whatever, is  irrelevant, he played it how he chose to.

And now for my own completely anecdotal opinion; I have some 80-odd hours played, my character just turned 31, I have 11 or 12 well-established settlements (and I have seen some 5 or 6 settlement attacks), and I have maxxed three companions so far.

I still can't wait to get home each night and get more shit done. I stay up WAY longer than I should playing the game.

So the term "short" is relative. For me, I got my money's worth like ten hours ago, and I have a lot more to go.

Oh, in all that time I have experienced 2 crash-to-desktops, 3 video glitches that forced a reboot and that's it.

Terry
    That about sums up my time in game thus far, which I haven't been this engrossed in a game since Skyrim. (Minus the crashes). Very few issues experienced on my end after 80 hours and no crashes

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Short im 50 hours in and just went to diamond city, then got lost again exploring all the stuff around there! i had to take a break cause i was playing too much.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    edited November 2015
    No it's definitely Fallout 4, I thoroughly enjoy open world RPGs. Especially the Elder Scrolls series. However, Fallout 4 is just 1 mission and a whole lot of repeatable busy work thrown in for the settlement system. There appears to be no additional stories outside of the main quest. Unlike other games Bethesda has created.
    You do know that you trigger many quests by finding something, or passing close to an area and hearing a radio broadcast, or stumbling onto them, right? Are you listening to the various holotapes about what happened in the various locales, reading the notes, and paying attention to the visual clues?  Rescued the actor from the tower?  Found the robot shopping center?  Returned the overdue library book? I thought the Vault 114 backstory was hilarious, for example...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ohioastro said:
    No it's definitely Fallout 4, I thoroughly enjoy open world RPGs. Especially the Elder Scrolls series. However, Fallout 4 is just 1 mission and a whole lot of repeatable busy work thrown in for the settlement system. There appears to be no additional stories outside of the main quest. Unlike other games Bethesda has created.
    You do know that you trigger many quests by finding something, or passing close to an area and hearing a radio broadcast, or stumbling onto them, right? Are you listening to the various holotapes about what happened in the various locales, reading the notes, and paying attention to the visual clues?  Rescued the actor from the tower?  Found the robot shopping center?  Returned the overdue library book? I thought the Vault 114 backstory was hilarious, for example...
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The (Silver) Shadow knows!

That was a very fun quest line... not often your character in an RPG gets to roleplay too :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Phry said:
    Fallout 4 is currently a bit of a buggy mess, lacks polish and is in dire need of the modding community to fix the game.
    In a years time it will probably be in a much better state, as by then most of the games issues will hopefully have been addressed, particularly for PC as the game is a lazy console port at best, but also as modders tend to add content i would imagine the games perceived shortness will have been addressed too, and as with Skyrim there is no need to stick to the main quests, as doing your own thing was always the games selling factor.
    The games engine does need some serious work though, seems like Bethesda have become very lazy about their games, their reputation is going to take a serious pounding if they don't do something about it.
    +1

Liking aspects of it so far, but technical issues really are pissing me off. But it's not a lazy port... that's being far too kind. It's an absolute shit console port and, especially given that Bethesda made themselves as a PC gaming company, they should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it in its current state. I should not have to modify three different config files just to change the FOV to something which doesn't look like it's being viewed through a cardboard tube. 

Technical issues aside it's a decent game, but it's definitely dumbed down from its predecessors, especially New Vegas. Also not liking the voiced protagonist at all. The way power armour is handled is admittedly an improvement from previous iterations of the franchise, however. It 'suits' (HAR HAR) my kick-in-the-door-and-hose-everything-down-with-hot-lead style of game play perfectly. 

One moment which still makes me smile is when I got my hands on a minigun before grabbing the power armor. I went in to clear the building of raiders, and as I set my sights on my first unlucky victim I heard one of them cry out, "OH SHIT THAT'S A FUCKING MINIGUN!!"

Moments like that do make up for a certain amount of frustration. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Maybe its just me, but I thought Skyrim was vastly better. I also think Fallout 3 and new vegas were way better too. But Skyrim being newer than NV...

Skyrim takes about 25-30 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other if you don't stop and follow the roads. Like solitude to windhelm takes me 20-30 game time to get to it, but I don't use a horse. The number sky rockets if I DO NOT ignore bandits, but this is just running and sprinting ignoring everything. And that is only from city to city.

Fallout 4, I can get one end of the map to the other in 10-15 minutes, while following the roads AND being distracted by stuff (but ignoring mutants). And that is from starting in Sanctuary and going into Diamond City

Fallout 4 map feels WAY smaller than Skyrim.

Fallout 4 does also feel like it has vastly less content than Skyrim, comparing vanilla vs vanilla (taking no mods into account).

Skyrim, I can get so lost by the millions of possible dungeons, side quests, or doing random cr@p

Fallout 4, building a settlement is cool, but speaking of mods, Skyrim and fallout 3/NV has a WAY more USEFUL settlement building mod. In fallout 4 it feels like it doesn't really have any use, AND in fallout 4 if you build too many defenses the AI doesn't attack you (at least in sanctuary). Feels very secondary, and Skyrim's building mod(s) and Fallout 3/NV feel vastly superior and vastly more useful.

But, fallout 4...feels...like...I don't get lost at all in what I want to do or not do. There is barely anything to do compared to Skyrim or even fallout 3 or new vegas. That was why I liked older Bethesda games, they FELT vastly more sandboxy than fallout 4 does. I think this is where I'm not liking fallout 4 and where it doesn't feel right to me. While skyrim is more of a sandpark (or whatever you want to call it, since it isn't really a sandbox, but not a themepark game)...fallout 4 feels like a themepark game to me with an open world.

That doesn't even touch the lack of RPG feeling fallout 4 has, and I don't like FPS games, and fallout 4 feels way too much like a FPS game (which in fallout 3/NV was fine cause it had tons more RPG stuff). And a number of other issues.

But the key thing for me is, all of Bethesda's previous games felt vastly more sandboxy to me, where as fallout 4 is like playing a themepark game with an open world.

Maybe just me that sees it that way, dunno, everyone is different. But it is the very first Bethesda game that I've been disappointed by.

On the other hand, my friend is LOVING fallout 4 and compares it to borderlands all the time...which I really didn't like borderlands...but thats just me :P its not my type of game :p

And also as a sidenote, it isn't even because I played Witcher 3 before hand. I never really got into Witcher 3, I think skyrim is better (definitely my opinion on this one) simply because witcher 3 has vastly worse modding capabilities and skyrim's modded is vastly superior to witcher 3 for me (again my opinion lol).

I'll be going back to playing modded Skyrim and witcher 3 (I do like it if I could play a female lol) once a playable ciri mod is out (if there ever is one)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    edited November 2015
    Maybe its just me, but I thought Skyrim was vastly better. I also think Fallout 3 and new vegas were way better too. But Skyrim being newer than NV...

Skyrim takes about 25-30 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other if you don't stop and follow the roads. Like solitude to windhelm takes me 20-30 game time to get to it, but I don't use a horse. The number sky rockets if I DO NOT ignore bandits, but this is just running and sprinting ignoring everything. And that is only from city to city.

Fallout 4, I can get one end of the map to the other in 10-15 minutes, while following the roads AND being distracted by stuff (but ignoring mutants). And that is from starting in Sanctuary and going into Diamond City

Fallout 4 map feels WAY smaller than Skyrim.

Fallout 4 does also feel like it has vastly less content than Skyrim, comparing vanilla vs vanilla (taking no mods into account).

Skyrim, I can get so lost by the millions of possible dungeons, side quests, or doing random cr@p

Fallout 4, building a settlement is cool, but speaking of mods, Skyrim and fallout 3/NV has a WAY more USEFUL settlement building mod. In fallout 4 it feels like it doesn't really have any use, AND in fallout 4 if you build too many defenses the AI doesn't attack you (at least in sanctuary). Feels very secondary, and Skyrim's building mod(s) and Fallout 3/NV feel vastly superior and vastly more useful.

But, fallout 4...feels...like...I don't get lost at all in what I want to do or not do. There is barely anything to do compared to Skyrim or even fallout 3 or new vegas. That was why I liked older Bethesda games, they FELT vastly more sandboxy than fallout 4 does. I think this is where I'm not liking fallout 4 and where it doesn't feel right to me. While skyrim is more of a sandpark (or whatever you want to call it, since it isn't really a sandbox, but not a themepark game)...fallout 4 feels like a themepark game to me with an open world.

That doesn't even touch the lack of RPG feeling fallout 4 has, and I don't like FPS games, and fallout 4 feels way too much like a FPS game (which in fallout 3/NV was fine cause it had tons more RPG stuff). And a number of other issues.

But the key thing for me is, all of Bethesda's previous games felt vastly more sandboxy to me, where as fallout 4 is like playing a themepark game with an open world.

Maybe just me that sees it that way, dunno, everyone is different. But it is the very first Bethesda game that I've been disappointed by.

On the other hand, my friend is LOVING fallout 4 and compares it to borderlands all the time...which I really didn't like borderlands...but thats just me :P its not my type of game :p

And also as a sidenote, it isn't even because I played Witcher 3 before hand. I never really got into Witcher 3, I think skyrim is better (definitely my opinion on this one) simply because witcher 3 has vastly worse modding capabilities and skyrim's modded is vastly superior to witcher 3 for me (again my opinion lol).

I'll be going back to playing modded Skyrim and witcher 3 (I do like it if I could play a female lol) once a playable ciri mod is out (if there ever is one)
    I'm playing Fallout 4 and will complete it, because I paid for it, not because I think it's a great game.  I agree with your points. 

For me, Skyrim is bigger and there are more locations to explore and things to do.  There is even a variety in the scenery, plus, as you say, the map is a lot bigger.

If they can build Skyrim, why does it feel like they have gone backwards with Fallout 4?  Every quest I have been asked to do so far is to go and clear out a location, which is wearing thin on me I have to say.  I'm not having to use any intellingence to solve anything, I'm just going into a location knowing I have to clear it, which removes all RPG elements and makes it a shooter - heck they could remove the quests and just tell you at the start to go and clear all locations; so for me, that makes the story weak as it's all predictable.

This game has just given me a passion to load up Skyrim again because I probably haven't touched the surface in that game yet.  I know that this and Skyrim are complateable within a short time if you really want to , but not exploring and finding all the side quests means you are just short changing yourself because there is content there to be experienced, if you want it, albeit you'll be sent to wipe another area.

I'm calling it a 7.5/10 game, which is ok, but not as good as Skyrim or Fallout 3 by a long way.
    Post edited by mark2123 on
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    edited November 2015
    I don't even know what to say to all this. I am about 55 hours in, and I just beat the main story and am level 45, and still have PLENTY to do. There are tons of quests that are not the repeatable ones out in the wasteland, you just have to find them by reading notes on bodies and listening to holotapes. I don't remember if there was an achievement for it so I didnt look, but did you do Devil's Due? One of the coolest quests in the game, way off the beaten path and not part of the main story.

Sounds like OP just did the stuff that was near the main quest stuff.

(Another pro-tip, there are a ton of "mini-quests" under your "Misc" tab that I have barely even touched yet).

Have you gotten the relationship perk from every companion?
    Have you fully upgraded your power armor, armor and guns?
    How many sets of Power Armor did you find?
    How are your settlements looking?
    Did you get all the endings?

And before you say "those systems don't interest me," I'd point out that A) It is highly likely that future DLC will expand upon them so putting in the work now will be well worth it and B ) They are part of the games "400+ hours of content" that was advertised, so ignoring them and calling them game short is pretty silly. It's like getting to max level in an MMO and saying WHELP IM DONE NOW.

See I was lukewarm on Skyrim. I liked it but it felt too shallow to me. Fallout 4 feels the opposite, because it really is about to just stomping around the wasteland on your own and discovering stuff, not "travel to point of interest and complete the quest," style game Bethesda has been known for in the past.

If you are running out of content, then as another poster said open world RPGs just aren't for you. Fallout 4 is among the best open world RPGs to date, in my opinion.

Edit: Damn Emojis.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I think that the people complaining that it's short think that the only quests that count are MMO-style hub quests.  They don't read the memos in the terminals, listen to the holotapes, or stop and look around at the rich visual details.  You can call this game a lot of things, but calling it "small and short" is just a sign that you're missing most of the game.  A map that covers a *city* with many, many fully detailed areas and buildings inside of it is going to be smaller than a mostly rural fantasy map with a handful of settlements even though it has more hours of things to explore.  I find myself amazed that there is such a crazy level of detail.  There is an entire underground level in one of the first towns that you go to; no quests, you just stumble onto a complete, large, hidden area.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, and if you don't like the style of the game that's fine.  But if your particular critique is that it's too short and that there is nothing to do, it is fair to note that you're probably just missing most of what there is to do in the way that you're playing, and that you'd find more to do if you approached it differently.
  • Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    edited November 2015
    TemperHS said:
    Nitth said:
    TemperHS said:
    There is nothing short about it.

I'm 50+ hours in (playing on Survival) and haven't even been to Diamond City. You didn't rush? Link your steam profile please.
    Yeah...time means nothing. You can spend hours just hanging out looking at the scenery..

I did every quest i could find trying to get my character to lvl 30 so i can use the X01 power armor and that took me about 20 hrs (which filled in the bulk of the map).

Time means everything, and I certainly don't spend my time ingame "looking at the scenery". There is a lot more to do than what you describe.

Congrats, you blew through the game on normal or hard (which isn't hard at all) and then called it quits. What you've done is the equivalent of buying an ice cream cone, eating the bottom of the cone, tossing the rest away, and complaining about still being hungry.

I've done every quest I could find so far, and I am nowhere near completion, with over 50 hours invested into the game. Many of the top streamers on Twitch have been streaming the game for 8-10 hours a day, every day since release, and are also nowhere near completion.

Do the math.  
    The game isn't hard at all. I'm playing on survival and can kill a Legendary Deathclaw in two hits using my .50 hunting rifle. I finished the main story around 40 hours in and have around 80 hours with I'm certain 90% of the map explored for fast travel but not detail searched. I've probably only actually explored 30% but finding it a chore to continue onward as the loot is meh. (pls more Legendary monsters)

At this point in time I'm waiting for a patch to make the game more difficult, the dlc's to release (in previous games they were very fun), and/or time to make another playthrough (very unlikely with the whole no level cap thing).
  • SirKornflakesSirKornflakes Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I guess the game is short if you don't work or go to school and spend time with friends and family. Working full time I only get about 2 hours of gameplay per day.

Not sure OP can complain its short when they sit there and play all day.

Laughable problems.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Albatroes said:
    I forgot Bethesda games were only good because of their story....not the stories you create yourself in their world.
    kinda hard when the male is a ex soldier and the female was a lawyer and you have to run after your son, good things modders already fixed a lot of things too huh?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited November 2015
    I remember when Skyrim came out. Someone made a post just like the topic creators. So people asked him questions.

Did you do Dark Brotherhood quest line?  Nope
    Did you do Companions quest line? Nope
    Did you do Thieves Guild quest line? Nope
    Did you do College of Winterhold quest line? Nope
    Did you become Thane of any other Hold? Nope
    Did you hunt down any Word Walls? Nope
    So you didn't do any side quest? Nope

Any game is fast if you speed run it. Hell there are games that reward you for it.  (Original Metroid, Resident Evil, just off top of my head)

@Pynda
    A good open world RPG should absolutely require you to complete a LOT of minor content before you will even stand a remote chance of being able to finish.

It wouldn't be an open world then....
    Fallout series and ElderScroll series are fun to me for their open world. At any point AFTER I get pass their little tutorial and intro to world.  I can say F-it. Totally ignore the main story. Walk off in any direction, and find something to see and/or do. Locking that behind Main story segments would pretty much go against what a GOOD open world game is. Which is the freedom to say F-it, I'm going to do my own thing. (Within the restrictions of the game of course)

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.