Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Twitch Needs Bob Ross a Editorial at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhy Twitch Needs Bob Ross a Editorial at MMORPG.com

I was surprised that Twitch were putting on a marathon of The Joy of Painting, on the surface it seems so anathema to what Twitch is all about. Having said that, I wasn’t surprised at its initial popularity. The idea had tons of novelty for the usual twitch crowd, and the show is earnest enough that it makes for an easy target for that schoolboy ‘my first ironic detachment’ attitude that the videogame audience is so bound to.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I watched the Bob Ross twitch feed for awhile. Actually my wife and I did on our TV =) Then the other night we watched a young woman on twitch playing a Bob Ross episode and painting along with him. We laughed at ourselves. The kids were in bed, all was quiet and here we sat watching someone paint while she was watching someone else paint... I'll admit the woman was entertaining and we found it relaxing. What is the next thing? I have no idea but "what is old is new again" =) I admit I do remember watching Bob Ross when I was a kid.... and yes I date myself.
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I watched a lot of the marathon, and it was fabulous.

I lost count of the number of times I'd hear him say he was going to do something, then he'd start. I'd look at it and think, "What is he doing? That doesn't make any sense." And then mere moments later it would all just come together. And that moment would be jaw-dropping. I *saw* him do it, and yet was still shocked when it happened.

Watching him paint (or even just listening if it was on another tab while I /ahem worked), was just mesmerizing. So calming and relaxing. In fact a friend of mine who works with little kids told me that during the marathon she would put it on for the kids to watch. They would sit transfixed. They'd watch and ask questions, and just be amazed.

Bob Ross was a treasure.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I used to watch Bob Ross on Youtube before I went to bed, because it was so relaxing. When it was announced that Twitch would be streaming the joy of painting I was intrigued. I tuned in to see how the community would react to it, and it was the most hilarious/heart warming thing I have ever seen. I cant express how funny it is seeing people get riled up over a tree being painted. The Twitch community reacted the way a die hard sports fan would react to their favorite team scoring a touch down. And that made it infinitely more hilarious. I really hope they continue to stream Bob.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Definitely a cool experiment. Bob Ross is the man.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    This article seems to repeat sentences almost verbatim mid-way through. A little editing might be nice.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    threefeet said:
    everyone knows the only reason this article was written is because he's dead. if he was still around, there wouldnt be a word said here or on twitch abt him, and he would still be made fun of for being such a nice guy.
    Actually I watched him in High School and thought he was awesome then. My friends and I would bring it up in art class.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Xav_MMO said:
    I watched a lot of the marathon, and it was fabulous.

I lost count of the number of times I'd hear him say he was going to do something, then he'd start. I'd look at it and think, "What is he doing? That doesn't make any sense." And then mere moments later it would all just come together. And that moment would be jaw-dropping. I *saw* him do it, and yet was still shocked when it happened.

Watching him paint (or even just listening if it was on another tab while I /ahem worked), was just mesmerizing. So calming and relaxing.

Bob Ross was a treasure.
    This. I didn't get much work done the week of the marathon because I was wondering what RUINED thing he'd do next so it could be SAVED. When I first logged onto the marathon, there were over 61,000 viewers. It dropped off over the course of the week but I don't recall seeing it less than 37,000. That's pretty amazing in these cynical times. I'm delighted that we'll be able to enjoy Bob Ross Mondays for at least the next year. :)