Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Population At It's Lowest Since 2008

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You gave away your password. In EVE. It's pretty insane how rookie of a mistake that is in the first place. But to then expect to come back to your account 5 years later to recover it from someone you gave your password to... I just don't get it. 

There isn't a 1 to 1 equivalency with your analogy. See, when you give your password away to someone else for their use, according to CCP, the account gets banned. There is no similar situation when you own property. 
    Yes let`s end it here as you are either trolling me or never actually played the game and had a capital ship back then.

If they were to ban everyone sharing an account for capital ship use there would be no more corporations as the first and most important requirement for a corporation to help you get a capital ship is to share it... simple as that. As i said above. 

So stop being a fanboi or a troll or whatever, its not working. They messed it up but whatever its been 2 years i don`t care anymore tho i am glad to see that such a thieving developer that only enforces what rule it suits them best won`t be around for much longer.
    A thieving developer? They banned a person that was spending money on their game for the past 5 years. They literally took a loss to ban someone. You don't make any sense.

Also, if you don't understand how stupid it was to share your password in EVE, you were never really meant to play it in the first place. Here's a hint, no one else shared their password with you. Just because other people did it and do it doesn't make it any less stupid. It's a classic mistake, not just in EVE, but especially in EVE.

And saying someone is a troll/fanboi because they disagree with you is infantile.
  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    edited October 2015
    You gave away your password. In EVE. It's pretty insane how rookie of a mistake that is in the first place. But to then expect to come back to your account 5 years later to recover it from someone you gave your password to... I just don't get it. 

There isn't a 1 to 1 equivalency with your analogy. See, when you give your password away to someone else for their use, according to CCP, the account gets banned. There is no similar situation when you own property. 
    Yes let`s end it here as you are either trolling me or never actually played the game and had a capital ship back then.

If they were to ban everyone sharing an account for capital ship use there would be no more corporations as the first and most important requirement for a corporation to help you get a capital ship is to share it... simple as that. As i said above. 

So stop being a fanboi or a troll or whatever, its not working. They messed it up but whatever its been 2 years i don`t care anymore tho i am glad to see that such a thieving developer that only enforces what rule it suits them best won`t be around for much longer.
    A thieving developer? They banned a person that was spending money on their game for the past 5 years. They literally took a loss to ban someone. You don't make any sense.

Also, if you don't understand how stupid it was to share your password in EVE, you were never really meant to play it in the first place. Here's a hint, no one else shared their password with you. Just because other people did it and do it doesn't make it any less stupid. It's a classic mistake, not just in EVE, but especially in EVE.

And saying someone is a troll/fanboi because they disagree with you is infantile.
    You don`t give up...

Yea, thieving... so what if they took a loss? I took one too... since i payed for a product i did not get in the end.

As for you thinking nobody shared their password with me.... again you think you know it all. They did... as sometimes you want a carrier sometimes you need a dread and so on... as i said the corp payed for all the toys so we were sharing them. 

If you had ever actually played the game and had a capital ship provided by your corp and so on back then you would know. That`s why its stupid for them to enforce the rule when they want.

EVE is the only game i shared my account password/login, because we had to basically, if you played you would know. Its that or be online 24/7. Or don`t let the corp give you a capital ship i guess... anyway you get my point.

As for CCP... they basically did the worst option. I told them that if they want the guy to keep it sure, give me back the character i had when i left the game or enough money(ISK) to buy another one - you can legally buy characters there.

They had no choice but to ban it, if they had left it to that guy with no compensation for me i would have tried to get the appropriate authorities involved, i had proof they know its my account and so on... and i would have out of spite. So they went the only way they could aka ban it. Don`t know why not try and get their clients happy via restoring the 2008 character to me and letting the other guy keep it or just give me isk to buy a new character. But o well, their call. I quit, dunno about the other guy but he stopped paying for that account that`s for sure. So 1 account from him, 2 from me gone.... 
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Looks like the 'hardcore' finally got rid of lot of players with their harassment and exploits.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Looks like the 'hardcore' finally got rid of lot of players with their harassment and exploits.
    If all that left were the whiney kids that want to take our hardcore game away, then good riddance.  EVE survived on 5k, 10k,  20k... concurrent players in the past.  It will keep surviving as it always has.

For all the softcore gamers, we are assured that Star Citizen is on it's way.  I'm sure that the less hardened space adventurers will find a home there.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited October 2015
    H0urg1ass said:
    EVE survived on 5k, 10k,  20k... concurrent players in the past.  It will keep surviving as it always has.

EVE was more fun with 5k players online.

Actual players. Not alts included.

-Where a 100-man alliance could dictate a regional conflict.

-Where a roaming fleet of 50 man was rare & considered a "massive blob".

CCP became greedy when there was a population boom and many "WoW" generation players entered the game, and demanded it to be nerfed so they can play it without any risk, because the transition from WoW was so harsh as most PVE players couldn't cope with the golden "don't fly what you can't afford to lose"-rule.

Telling new players to read the EULA before agreeing should be enough 'hand holding' CCP ever does to a gamer.
    -Apart from banning exploiting players that is-
    Good old days where new players had to find out themselves what they wanted to do in the game (total freedom) or how the systems worked. Those that stayed were the ones that were committed.

As for the 'bad community reputation' EVE has: I am playing since Launch and playing with the same people for >12y.
    Good RL friendships have formed in the meantime.

There's not one other MMO that can say that.
    Not even WoW: where whiney players almost kill each other because 1 player wiped a 5-hour raid or someone didnt get their purple.
    Oh I forgot, that game had a patch years ago where it is impossible to die once while leveling and everyone gets maxed gear in 1-2 days. No skill needed.

No need for a "EVE: Cataclysm" patch.

If CCP keeps the game running at 5-10k player range and returns to be a niche game again with the generic UI & music, then yes please.

As your comment for SC: I like the concept, I doubt that game will have risk-reward involved.
    I would not be surprised if it has instanced pvp battles/battlegrounds or a "oh you lost your ship? Here, respawn in this station and here's your new one, a exact copy!" system.
    I expect it to be heavily instanced and no open world outside community hubs ingame without instances a.k.a. GuildWars 1 -tens of instances of the same zone because of player limits-.

I fear that game is not going to be a real open MMO. IF it gets released.

Post edited by Muke on

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I donno that ccp is all that worried about the numbers or anyone that plays it should be either. 

They are about to invest in a big time hardware upgrade.. http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    H0urg1ass said:
    Bigdaddyx said:
    If all that left were the whiney kids that want to take our hardcore game away, then good riddance.  EVE survived on 5k, 10k,  20k... concurrent players in the past.  It will keep surviving as it always has.

For all the softcore gamers, we are assured that Star Citizen is on it's way.  I'm sure that the less hardened space adventurers will find a home there.
    Different times and different needs. I really doubt CCP would be ok with their only MMO to just run with 5 to 20k players in todays time. Hardcore plyers are their own worst enemy. Devour their own game and wonder why no one wants to play and why its declining  in popularity.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    good

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2015

H0urg1ass said:
    Bigdaddyx said:

You differentiate "hardcore" and "whiny kid" as if they were mutually exclusive. Yet isn't it the "hardcores" that are the most vocal? If there is one thing about "hardcores" is that they are anything but..... Most self proclaimed "hardcores" don't really want "hardcore" they want easy pickins without having to fight for it.

EVE is out of balance. So as the population continues to slide........20K, 10K, 5K,  You will watch as what you perceive as Whiny Kids leaving, but the "hard cores" are just feeding from the lower tiers of their own food chain. And once the hardcores begin turning on each other it won't stop at 5K.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I've played EvE since 2003 as Infinity Ziona.  Confirming the above. It was ruthless and harsh when I joined. There were rules though and CCP at first attempted to deal with suiciding as power creep made mechanics faulty. As Oveur, the original lead states "High sec is supposed to be relatively safe". It's not, it's the second most dangerous space. Null was supposed to be dangerous, it's not, it's the most safe. The game is borked and not conducive to new players staying long.
  • Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    AreWeLive said:
    I donno that ccp is all that worried about the numbers or anyone that plays it should be either. 

They are about to invest in a big time hardware upgrade.. http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/
    Never mind the hardware upgrade - the fact that Brain in a Box (essentially a core rewrite of all the legacy stats handling) is now being tested is huge news.  The potential performance gains from that well outstrip anything that could ever be done just by throwing more/newer hardware at the cluster.

Could mean the end of TiDi pretty soon, and it removes the big hurdle that prevents them from getting rid of off-grid boosting. 
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited October 2015

H0urg1ass said:
    Bigdaddyx said:

You differentiate "hardcore" and "whiny kid" as if they were mutually exclusive. Yet isn't it the "hardcores" that are the most vocal? If there is one thing about "hardcores" is that they are anything but..... Most self proclaimed "hardcores" don't really want "hardcore" they want easy pickins without having to fight for it.

EVE is out of balance. So as the population continues to slide........20K, 10K, 5K,  You will watch as what you perceive as Whiny Kids leaving, but the "hard cores" are just feeding from the lower tiers of their own food chain. And once the hardcores begin turning on each other it won't stop at 5K.

So True Geezer.  That's a fact. A lot are imitators. There are some that can be considered hardcore and those players are assets to corporations. The number cruncher. The new meta makers.  The people while imitators are bitching and whining on the forums about being hardcore and not being able to gank anymore. The real hardcore players are proving not only is ganking still feasible but they are doing it solo. They are detailing the prep work, the social engineering, the hunt. Gosh I wish I could remember that players name and what perceived nerf so called hardcores whined relentlessly about on Eve.

The community mentality is toxic. It's very much like mob mentality.  is one problem.  Having to constantly look over your shoulder. With you as the only protection is another problem. It's tiresome. Not being able to trust a single person unless you came to that game with them from another.  A problem.  Content diversity and quality and availability. problem.  No idea how to change it or if it should even try to change at this point. Is what it is.  Great mechanics. Great variety of ships. I like the ui and combat system. Actually love it.  Cause I love naval warfare.  Eve focuses on one thing though and in the end when the wolves will have to eat wolves. Make no mistake.  GOONS will win that contest.  They are just the most determined and unbreakable. They'll whelp the shit out of bigger wolves if those even exist till they break. relentlessly.  I don't have a problem with Goons or any corp. Just being honest. Goon mentality as a whole lives for that.

CCP  stuck to their guns and it's what they wanted in their product. So good for them. Not sarcasm. Frankly few developers would have done and stuck with it what they did.  They functioned as a very small company and can likely downsize by a lot and be profitable if it comes to that.  I'm going to get flamed so hard. hahahaha..     Fun, fun.  My preemptive drunken rebuttal to whoever  is "Go chuck a duck!" 

Quack, Quack
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Muke said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    EVE survived on 5k, 10k,  20k... concurrent players in the past.  It will keep surviving as it always has.

EVE was more fun with 5k players online.

Actual players. Not alts included.

-Where a 100-man alliance could dictate a regional conflict.

-Where a roaming fleet of 50 man was rare & considered a "massive blob".

CCP became greedy when there was a population boom and many "WoW" generation players entered the game, and demanded it to be nerfed so they can play it without any risk, because the transition from WoW was so harsh as most PVE players couldn't cope with the golden "don't fly what you can't afford to lose"-rule.

Telling new players to read the EULA before agreeing should be enough 'hand holding' CCP ever does to a gamer.
    -Apart from banning exploiting players that is-
    Good old days where new players had to find out themselves what they wanted to do in the game (total freedom) or how the systems worked. Those that stayed were the ones that were committed.

As for the 'bad community reputation' EVE has: I am playing since Launch and playing with the same people for >12y.
    Good RL friendships have formed in the meantime.

There's not one other MMO that can say that.
    Not even WoW: where whiney players almost kill each other because 1 player wiped a 5-hour raid or someone didnt get their purple.
    Oh I forgot, that game had a patch years ago where it is impossible to die once while leveling and everyone gets maxed gear in 1-2 days. No skill needed.

No need for a "EVE: Cataclysm" patch.

If CCP keeps the game running at 5-10k player range and returns to be a niche game again with the generic UI & music, then yes please.

As your comment for SC: I like the concept, I doubt that game will have risk-reward involved.
    I would not be surprised if it has instanced pvp battles/battlegrounds or a "oh you lost your ship? Here, respawn in this station and here's your new one, a exact copy!" system.
    I expect it to be heavily instanced and no open world outside community hubs ingame without instances a.k.a. GuildWars 1 -tens of instances of the same zone because of player limits-.

I fear that game is not going to be a real open MMO. IF it gets released.

What you, the long-term hardcore Eve game are missing is that in the 12 years Eve has been around, lots of people have grown up and have responsibilities now i.e. the 2nd job of an Eve character is no longer sustainable amongst all the other priorities in life.  Those people who don't have a lot of time to log into a game still want to enjoy it, but if its just full of hardcore dinosaurs with narrowminded views who are anti anyone else's MMO, then you are welcome to it.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited November 2015
    mark2123 said:

What you, the long-term hardcore Eve game are missing is that in the 12 years Eve has been around, lots of people have grown up and have responsibilities now i.e. the 2nd job of an Eve character is no longer sustainable amongst all the other priorities in life.  Those people who don't have a lot of time to log into a game still want to enjoy it, but if its just full of hardcore dinosaurs with narrowminded views who are anti anyone else's MMO, then you are welcome to it.

Well, In my 12 year experience I have started a family, started my own business, and work 70hrs/week, apart from that I am on the road across the world all the time.
    And next to my social life I still manage to find time to play and run my corp.

With that said, the influx of current generation insta-gratification self entitled group of players showed CCP they needed to tone the game down as it was too difficult.

The reason why many players liked it. It was niche, players had to put effort in it, it had challenges.
    These days the game is waaaaaay too easy. Difficult enough for you perhaps, but the only thing missing is golden exclamation marks pointing you to your objective.

CCP tried to make it more popular by nerfing it to the ground. Too many players, too many whines.

The EVE Cataclysm nerfs did not help the game.

Like I said, EVE can perfectly survive with 5k players on the server.

Will they get the revenue of the time when it was at it's peak? No.

But can it survive? Yes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited November 2015
    Ahh... so that's why you're bumping all the old EvE Online threads. Money.

At least EvE Online is getting thread visibility.
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    edited November 2015
    Money has nothing to do with it. Bottom line is, all u MMO players spend all your time tearing into wow/eve./rift and half the time u haven't even played for more than 5 minutes. So ill be posting here and getting discussions going and keeping my video thread up. 

You can troll or slam me all you like, tis no issue, whatever keeps you happy and smiling sir
     I find it hard to understand why you feel the need to create a new account with an EVE avatar, bump every single eve post and make promotional videos for ccp.

Are you being payed for your Guerrilla marketing? Are you planning on making money from your videos? Or are you just someone with nothing better to do than provide a free advertising service to a company with hundreds of employees that can afford to do their own?

Eve is in a steady decline right now because of the direction they are developing the game. It is in steady decline because of a lack of content and stagnation. It has nothing to do with promotion or marketing. Eve has been around for long enough that most people have heard about it and anyone interested enough has already tried it.

Enjoy bumping all the threads for a dying game like it's accomplishing something. Nobody else is talking about eve for a reason. I think theres been about 1 forum reply to any of these eve posts on here per week max.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think their biggest obstacle is the game engine.  Its 10 years old and very inefficient.  To make a fps and other modules to help make this game more awesome would require a very strong computer that not many people have.  Right now this game is almost more hardware demanding then GW2 and ESO.  which is saying a lot.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    p.s the numbers have been steady for the past two years, infact, subscriptions are up. So get a clue :@)
    ...source? Becasause when it comes to concurrent user count, it tells entirely different picture.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    filmoret said:
    I think their biggest obstacle is the game engine.  Its 10 years old and very inefficient. 
    By "game engine", are you referring to the graphics engine, the client/server code, or some other aspect that you seem to have some strange amount of knowledge or insight on?

What part is "10 years old and very inefficient"?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    For some reason, this doesn't really surprise me.
  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited November 2015
    Two reasons I quit this game after having 5 accounts, multiple moon mining ops going, T2 (at the time) factories hauling goods in and out of null sec...

1) Tons of the only friends I had played with were quitting over the BoB cheating scandal back in the day, while at the same time my corp I played with through a co-worker (Snigg) started up with others and formed PL and became a larger fleet engagement group instead of the pirate guild I grew up in game with... that led to:

2) the small community where roaming small engagements were the normal and most people knew each other was turning into a lag fest fleet game with huge capital ships and hundreds of people in the fight I had never heard of.

overall I think the game did better going the capital ship route, It just wasn't the eve I fell in love with, plus, honestly I got tired of running 5 accounts and having a laptop with me 24/7 for my market toons /laugh I guess if I hadn't made it into a mini job I might still play too.  Who knows.  Now that I am talking about it I kinda wanna fire up a couple accounts again and see whats what.  I wonder if they have a come back to eve program.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

LynxJSA said:
    filmoret said:
    I think their biggest obstacle is the game engine.  Its 10 years old and very inefficient. 
    By "game engine", are you referring to the graphics engine, the client/server code, or some other aspect that you seem to have some strange amount of knowledge or insight on?

The one that puts high demand on your hardware like I said before.  I don't think I made it that confusing to see.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2015
    filmoret said:
    LynxJSA said:
    filmoret said:

The one that puts high demand on your hardware like I said before.  I don't think I made it that confusing to see.
    What high system demands? I run 6 clients on a gaming laptop with no problem.

It has never had high system demands, so what specifically are you referring to?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    LynxJSA said:
    filmoret said:

It has never had high system demands, so what specifically are you referring to?
    That's odd when I try to walk around on the captains quarters my hardware is working overtime and whenever there's a fleet of more then 40 ships I have to zoom all the way out so my computer can keep up.  Guess you don't notice anything because you are using a gaming laptop and not a normal one like the rest of the world.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    LynxJSA said:
    filmoret said:

That's odd when I try to walk around on the captains quarters my hardware is working overtime and whenever there's a fleet of more then 40 ships I have to zoom all the way out so my computer can keep up.  Guess you don't notice anything because you are using a gaming laptop and not a normal one like the rest of the world.
    The captains cabin thing, tbh, i don't use it, if they ever get around to finishing WiS then maybe i will, as for the ships thing, it sounds like you have a problem with your pc, i've never had any problems of that nature either, although i do have a relatively powerful desktop PC, the game renders just fine using Dx11 and i have yet to have my FPS drop below 60, although having said that, i think the game does cap the framerate at 60 anyway, the only difference now is that i run it at 1440p instead of 1080p.