Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Technology & Research | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria | Technology & Research | MMORPG

Chronicles of Elyria pushes the envelope with an innovative technology system - one that lets players set the direction of research, leveraging guilds and existing crafting mechanics to add brand new technology to the world.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Awesome!
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • GammeaGammea Member CommonPosts: 1
    OMG, i can't wait to play this game, is fascinating all you are doing here. Really great job!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    Sounds really good to me,however i would be careful forcing players to join guilds.I am not sure on this School idea is that NPC run?If bonuses are too good from a guild then it really alienates those that don't want a guild or this again something i am unsure of as in schools?Example is FFXIV sort of has various npc guilds within the game.

I usually have little confidence in someone creating systems,after all i have seen nothing but junk from developers "Aside from Tanaka and FFXI systems",however i am getting a feeling i am going to like this stuff.

I should reiterate that i personally love systems within a game,more the merrier but combat is still going to be the most important aspect.Every aspect of game design has to flow together,the combat has to be related to the crafting and systems and again needs the same kind of depth.An example of what i am talking about is the mobs in game also need that depth,so your aiming for weapons and gear that is best suited versus your enemies.

Point being i hope all this technology and research can be used to add versatility to combat and your CHOICE of gear and weapons and that they have various properties and impact differently depending on what you are fighting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Yup added to my collection of incredibly interesting upcoming mmorpgs. Sadly though most have the added scare of not being able to finish the game's development but here is hoping.

You stay sassy!

grrr ....sigh ....post after post edited to add in the < p >

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Too realistic for an MMORPG imo.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    nothing to say but WOW
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537
    edited November 2015
    Daikuru said:
    Too realistic for an MMORPG imo.
    It all depends on how it is actually implemented. Realism and complexity can be good or bad. Complicated may seem good to many that are bored of the usual crafting in MMOs (gather, learn how to craft a sword, craft 50 to learn how to craft a better sword, craft 50, etc). In the end though, if all you do is make crafting 50 swords more complicated you still have the same problem. There has to be a reward for the complexity. Adding realism works the same way. Losing all your mats to the RNG gets a huge no from just about everyone. Having minor fluctuations in final quality based off of material used or time spent can have a better end result, but only if the risk is worth the reward. In the system outlined above, it seems that people wishing to make normal items will not be penalized for doing so. But for those wishing to produce faster or better quality items there will be risk involved that needs to be weighed vs the results. The whole research concept adds another layer to that model. You can ignore it and just craft normally, but pay for the cost of research to possibly gain a short term edge over your competition. All of this sounds very intriguing to me.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Knew they were going the static route of forced advancement.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    edited November 2015
    Hi Timberhick!

I'm not sure how you got that from the article. CoE is dynamic, as the technology changes over time. It's player-driven, because the players control what they want to research and when. It's not forced, because if nobody researches, there's no advancement.  Did that not come through from the article? 

Cheers!
    Jeromy
    Post edited by JeromyWalsh on
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    I do agree some of the ideas are going to turn a lot of WOWish type gamer's away but that is really quite ok with me.

One example that was pointed out is losing all their mats or even total destruction of everything else.Here is the deal at least form where i am standing,unlike pvp where there is never perfect balance,in a game like this everyone is subject to the exact same ideals so it comes off as quite alright for me.

Now if looking at some far fetched flip side idea,say for example a game was offering cash shop allowances to save yourself from any damages then that would not be a FAIR system and would be scoffed at.As long as systems are fair across the board i am good with it.

edited November 2015
    I just noticed that other statement, i am glad someone understands the statement because i don't lol.

Forced advancement??? say what?? as in the flip side being no advancement at all or the choice to never advance?Why would anyone play a game to never want advancement?Do you walk around in real life saying ....I hope i never earn a dollar and never have a job ,never have a wife and kids,heck i hope i never get any smarter or stronger ,i just want to live under a rock somewhere and read Archie magazines   ::P 

Seriously that statement made me laugh,i really don't understand it one bit and i am good at reading outside the box but this one is outside the planet lol.

To me that statement is basically like getting a new job then telling your boss...oh yeah great i am forced to work now !!.lmao.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited November 2015
    ok. I'm intrigued. Are the contracts the primary form of content? It's not a theme park game is it?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    It sounds like there will be elements of Civilization in the game, which should make crafting more immersive and connected to social and political aspects. How far will the player community be able to progress with its scientific and technological discoveries? If you compare it to our real life world, will progress extend from the ancient world to the 15th century or go even further to the 17th or 18th century?
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Also is it a FFA PvP game? Kind of seems like that type of game because they talked about it being a survival hybrid. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Wizardry said:

One example that was pointed out is losing all their mats or even total destruction of everything else.Here is the deal at least form where i am standing,unlike pvp where there is never perfect balance,in a game like this everyone is subject to the exact same ideals so it comes off as quite alright for me.

Now if looking at some far fetched flip side idea,say for example a game was offering cash shop allowances to save yourself from any damages then that would not be a FAIR system and would be scoffed at.As long as systems are fair across the board i am good with it.
    That would be nice, but I doubt that Elyria, especially as a crowdfunded indie game, will be able to become a big exception from commercial MMO game industry standards and not "taint" those systems with real life purchases. There has already been talk of currency shop selling gold for real money and influence points being purchaseable with real life money to buy property, land and storefront shops.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Hi Timberhick!

I'm not sure how you got that from the article. CoE is dynamic, as the technology changes over time. It's player-driven, because the players control what they want to research and when. It's not forced, because if nobody researches, there's no advancement.  Did that not come through from the article? 

Cheers!
    Jeromy
    No it isn't dynamic. The players can only "discover" what you put in the game. It is no different than WoW. You are merely adding more hoops to jump through to get there, whoa innovative... No it's not player-driven, it's designer-driven. You really think Spacely Sprockets Guild are going to research all willy nilly, cuz reasons? Don't be naive. Spacely Sprockets Guild is going to research as many combinations as they possibly can to guarantee as much tech as they can. Why? Because instead of letting the players make the new widgets you settled on making them go from 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. AKA Static route of forced advancement.
  • FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Hi Timberhick!

Cheers!
    Jeromy
    No it isn't dynamic. The players can only "discover" what you put in the game. It is no different than WoW. You are merely adding more hoops to jump through to get there, whoa innovative... No it's not player-driven, it's designer-driven. You really think Spacely Sprockets Guild are going to research all willy nilly, cuz reasons? Don't be naive. Spacely Sprockets Guild is going to research as many combinations as they possibly can to guarantee as much tech as they can. Why? Because instead of letting the players make the new widgets you settled on making them go from 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. AKA Static route of forced advancement.
    You might want to re-read the article, you don't research things in a specific order 1-2-3 etc, you pick from a list A, B or C etc. The list can be added to in a surprising number of ways a detailed in the article. No order is enforced by the devs, except assumable where logic demands.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Yanocchi said:
    Wizardry said:

That would be nice, but I doubt that Elyria, especially as a crowdfunded indie game, will be able to become a big exception from commercial MMO game industry standards and not "taint" those systems with real life purchases. There has already been talk of currency shop selling gold for real money and influence points being purchaseable with real life money to buy property, land and storefront shops.
    the gold currency purchase mechanic will be post-launch.... the influence points is PRE-launch for followers and backers, but won't give you a long-term benefit... Sure you drop $10,000 donation and become a king (random price and reward) nothing is stopping players from coming by and killing you before you sire a child and thus removing your reward for backing...
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The more articles I read on this game the more I feel posters are confused about how this game will work.  Can't tell you how many threads I have read on this game where both the poster and replier both seem to be misunderstanding the gist of the article.

Sounds to me like it is all about joining BIG guilds.  the small ones are going to be on the outside looking in.  Once people realize this fact, there will a mass effort to join the bigger guilds.  If you think you can solo in this game, good luck, expect a lot of obstacles in your way.

You want a good crafting system, look at how SWG did it and improve on that, this design seems to be full of gimmicks and designed  to favor the big groups.  

Nice that the developer responds on this thread, hope he finds enough people that like his design to fund the game.  
  • aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited November 2015
    Sounds very cool so far!

(True story: when I started playing WoW, me & my friend thought guild would worked like a real world medieval guild, ie: it would teach us crafting skills etc. We were kinda disapointed to discover the truth ! ^^)

I've got a question: you're talking about research & knowledge, but can a discovery be lost ? For example if the guild is disbanded, or if the blacksmiths that know how to craft a very specific tech die... To be more specific, do you plan a game where the pool of knowledge is forever increasing or, on the opposite, a game where it cycle, like civilisations that rise and fall ?
    edited November 2015
    Falendor said:
    You might want to re-read the article, you don't research things in a specific order 1-2-3 etc, you pick from a list A, B or C etc. The list can be added to in a surprising number of ways a detailed in the article. No order is enforced by the devs, except assumable where logic demands.
    Yes you do have to research in an order to get somewhere.
    Take your own advise and reread the article. They even admit to speeding or slowing advances in tech to their own whim.
  • AlzuuleAlzuule Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited November 2015
    Falendor said:
    Yes you do have to research in an order to get somewhere.
    Take your own advise and reread the article. They even admit to speeding or slowing advances in tech to their own whim.
    You have to research in somewhat of an order yes, but its not 1-2-3-4-5 like you make it out to be. theres different starting points that you can progress down from, but those might branch out. So instead of 1-2-3 you choose something like a sword blade design, research, discover how to make a certain design change, now you might have the option to try and improve that design change in more than one way. Its not like in wow as you say.

And you dont even have to research to gain the benefit of new discoveries, industrial espionage will be a thing and if you work together with someone that focuses on research you can instead focus on mass producing new discoveries.

Also there is indeed a big point to choosing not to do research crafting, since it allows you to produce at a faster rate instead, which allows you to gain wealth faster. So its a choice, do you want to MAYBE be the first to make a discovery and make some extra money on the patent? or do you want to be able to turn out more products ( and while this isnt confirmed one could think that you would also get more experience if doing so )
  • AlzuuleAlzuule Member UncommonPosts: 15
    aSynchro said:
    Sounds very cool so far!

(True story: when I started playing WoW, me & my friend thought guild would worked like a real world medieval guild, ie: it would teach us crafting skills etc. We were kinda disapointed to discover the truth ! ^^)

I've got a question: you're talking about research & knowledge, but can a discovery be lost ? For example if the guild is disbanded, or if the blacksmiths that know how to craft a very specific tech die... To be more specific, do you plan a game where the pool of knowledge is forever increasing or, on the opposite, a game where it cycle, like civilisations that rise and fall ?
    If the discovery is kept largely a secret and isnt something you could learn by getting your hands on one of the products ( say a potion or a new kind of alloy  that cant be reverse engineered ) and everyone who knows how to make it dies, AND that there is no recipe or schematic for it then yes it would be possible. ( now this question i havent seen specifically answered but after checking in with others that have followed closely and chatted with devs for along time it seems to be the case )
    Alzuule said:
    You have to research in somewhat of an order yes, but its not 1-2-3-4-5 like you make it out to be. theres different starting points that you can progress down from, but those might branch out. So instead of 1-2-3 you choose something like a sword blade design, research, discover how to make a certain design change, now you might have the option to try and improve that design change in more than one way. Its not like in wow as you say.

And you dont even have to research to gain the benefit of new discoveries, industrial espionage will be a thing and if you work together with someone that focuses on research you can instead focus on mass producing new discoveries.

Also there is indeed a big point to choosing not to do research crafting, since it allows you to produce at a faster rate instead, which allows you to gain wealth faster. So its a choice, do you want to MAYBE be the first to make a discovery and make some extra money on the patent? or do you want to be able to turn out more products ( and while this isnt confirmed one could think that you would also get more experience if doing so )
    Making it 1p-2n-3a-4u-5ee in no ways changes that fact that you are going 1-2-3-4-5. That is all Soulbound is doing, adding another layer to the 1-2-3-4-5 ladder system. Whoa so innovative.
    So Guilds will have R&D and Production Departments, your point?
This discussion has been closed.