Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall Survey Results Pt 1

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
https://backers.crowfall.com/#/news/who-are-these-people-2-01-5-survey-results-pt-1

Average age is around 30
95.6% Male...

So yes, that female assassin sweet talking you into buying her something is most likely a dude...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    This is what I call a scientific approach to milking ;)

PS 10k started, and 8k fully completed this quite long survey, that's some dedicated fanbase =)
     W...aaagh?
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    This is what I call a scientific approach to milking ;)

PS 10k started, and 8k fully completed this quite long survey, that's some dedicated fanbase =)

I've run surveys for various fansites and devs. Not only is that a great sample size for that size community, but 80% completing the survey is pretty good, too. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Yeah I kind of remember completing it.. but don't remember answering all this personal stuff.   maybe I skipped it.   I tend to like my privacy.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    It was one of the longest online survey's I've taken, so 80% completion was extraordinary. Hopefully they can apply the results well. I still don't completely understand the monetization. I understand what they intend, but doing simple math, it doesn't add up to what would be necessary to maintain such a project. Given the results from the survey, the demographic is ripe for a subscription or cash shop (I know, the blasphemy).

I'm hoping to get more information about it at PAX. I know that they're looking at doing some crowdfunding (great for initial development recoup and costs) but $40/user annually only nets them 400-500K which would only keep a team of 6 and would hamper studio growth. Will this be their only project? Or their entry project for their studio? Pulling off even 75% of what they are proposing in their current time frame would make their studio very marketable to investors.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    https://backers.crowfall.com/#/news/who-are-these-people-2-01-5-survey-results-pt-1

Average age is around 30
    95.6% Male...

So yes, that female assassin sweet talking you into buying her something is most likely a dude...

People fall for that crap? 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Vada_G said:
    It was one of the longest online survey's I've taken, so 80% completion was extraordinary. Hopefully they can apply the results well. I still don't completely understand the monetization. I understand what they intend, but doing simple math, it doesn't add up to what would be necessary to maintain such a project. Given the results from the survey, the demographic is ripe for a subscription or cash shop (I know, the blasphemy).

I'm hoping to get more information about it at PAX. I know that they're looking at doing some crowdfunding (great for initial development recoup and costs) but $40/user annually only nets them 400-500K which would only keep a team of 6 and would hamper studio growth. Will this be their only project? Or their entry project for their studio? Pulling off even 75% of what they are proposing in their current time frame would make their studio very marketable to investors.
    I was asking myself the same question, because it looked like they just don't have enough. This is what I found out meantime:
    • Gordon Walton (ex Disney, SWTOR, UO, SWG, Sims) is the CF accountant, and in his own words $100k per year/team member is what it costs them (this is, OFC, more than just salary);
    • The team currently has 25ish members (that is without some interns & outsourcing);
    • He assessed total budget for core game to launch around is $6M, and it was said long time (and couple millions) ago, during CF Kickstarter;
    • They actually have $6M already, and that is without future overseas stuff/licensing and selling some more equity; For example, more than $600k was added through crowdfunding alone since KS ended this March;
    • I would assess total pre-launch budget as at least $8-10M, Gordon used words such as "under 10M" and "10M game" couple times;
    • Important detail is that they won't spend on PvE (for comparison "cca 70% of SWTOR's total budget", Gordon), trailers, voiceovers, butt sliders and all that sexy stuff - simply because they don't have the money =)
    • Gordon and Todd (the creator of Wizard 101, Shadowbane) would typically be the most expensive team members, but here they are investing money instead of taking it (good part of the initial, pre-KS $2.35M was theirs);
    • Crowfall is already very attractive to investors, so much that they allowed themselves to be picky about who they accept (preferring backers & gamers), while "just in case" keeping additional money under 50%.
    This is far from just another shoestring budget indie project; furthermore, my point (better to say, a mixture of assessment and hope) is that they can actually deliver the AAA quality PvP, or even "better" - since PvP is typically tacked on to big MMOs anyway, and here it's the main thing.

W...aaagh?