Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for an old dog.

ChewyMepsChewyMeps Member UncommonPosts: 3
Hi Everyone,

I have browsed this sight for years but have never bothered signing up as I stopped playing many games. However, Me and my partner are now looking for  a new game and I was looking for some recommendation as the scene and availability of games has changed significantly since we were active.

We are looking for an MMORPG that we can enjoy together. I don't want to turn this into a "wow isn't as good as it used to be post" but...

I started MMORPGs when WOW first came out, the game was hard, had a sense of history and depth to the storylines, the community was active and it was the best game i ever played. When me an my partner got together we returned to wow during MOP and were underwhelmed at how easy the game had become. For us the challenge was gone and it just wasn't fun any-more.

We are looking for something to reignite that again. I have looked over so many MMORPG's but it is hard to find a game based off an article. So i am asking for recommendations from perosnal experienace of games. Something we can get our teeth into. Has some longevity, isn't to old.

Im sure this has been asked 1000 times so i thank anyone for taking the time to respond. 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2015
    ESO or the EQ2 TLE server  or The Secret World if you enjoy that setting

FF14 if you can make it to lv 30 is great

Project Gorgon which is still in development but is very playable , with alot under the hood and challenging also
  • ChewyMepsChewyMeps Member UncommonPosts: 3
    thanks for the recomendations.... Keeno... i love you
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well you said you played WoW for a while, were you into pvp/pve/both?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Rhoklaw said:
    There are some MMO's coming down the pipes which are trying to go back to the old days. Such as Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon and one other that I can't remember of the top of my head. As for games out right now that offer any kind of challenge, well, none really come to mind. 
    That is a good point.  But, the truth is we really don't know if any of those will ever launch.  If somehow magically they do release.  It will still be years.  I think he might be looking for something they can play now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My first mmo was Anarchy online. I'VE played just about every popular mmo that's come out after Wow. I find they are all bad because they try to please everyone's play style. And the latest are catering to console player's with action combat and mini UI's. After all this time i went back to Anarchy Online. Yeah its an old game but its still a real PC mmo. And its been great for me. Found a great org. And the complex implant and gearing is still a fun challenge. Sometimes you just have to go back to the beginning to find the fun.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    If you haven't played EQ2, you probably won't like the time-locked servers. If you have, and enjoyed it, maybe. I felt like it was a crusty game when it was new, and even more crusty when I went back.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Hariken said:
    My first mmo was Anarchy online. I'VE played just about every popular mmo that's come out after Wow. I find they are all bad because they try to please everyone's play style. And the latest are catering to console player's with action combat and mini UI's. After all this time i went back to Anarchy Online. Yeah its an old game but its still a real PC mmo. And its been great for me. Found a great org. And the complex implant and gearing is still a fun challenge. Sometimes you just have to go back to the beginning to find the fun.
    I still sub from time to time. Love my NT.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Here's some I recommend:

Everquest 2
    Tera
    The Secret World

all of the above MMOs are Free To Play with a subscriber option.

Final Fantasy XIV:  A Realm Reborn - this one has a trial but once that's done you'll have to be a subscriber to play

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

If you were lucky enough to break away from MMORPGs, then you should do yourself a favor and just find a new hobby. Don't come back.

You'll realize it's a waste of time and money. No sense of accomplishment. You'll never be unique. The community is no different than shopping at Wal-Mart and thinking "mother of god, why am I in here", before turning around and walking out because the people are just trash and nothing like you.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Considering your first was wow, I would recommend eq2 TLE.. It still hold some challenge, coop adventuring an actual thing and is fun, and has interesting lore and stories. You want the TLE servers not live servers, and that will cost a monthly subscription. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    NorseGod said:
    If you were lucky enough to break away from MMORPGs, then you should do yourself a favor and just find a new hobby. Don't come back.

You'll realize it's a waste of time and money. No sense of accomplishment. You'll never be unique. The community is no different than shopping at Wal-Mart and thinking "mother of god, why am I in here", before turning around and walking out because the people are just trash and nothing like you.
    Things I learned today: people who shop at walmart are not unique and also trash.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    NorseGod said:

Says the guy who has 872 posts on MMORPG.com.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I returned to GW2 when HoT was released, and I am having a blast. It is not perfect,  but I think it is overall  the most enjoyable MMORPG out there right now. I have played MOST of them and it certainly is my choice. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    You might want to check out Project:Gorgon.  It's something of a throwback game and certainly has some challenge.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    LOTRO is a good duo game
    Hrimnir said:
    NorseGod said:

Says the guy who has 872 posts on MMORPG.com.
    Elaborate.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    jitter77 said:
    LOTRO is a good duo game
    LotRO or FF14 for a couple of people who enjoyed WoW. Tera too for that matter. Loads of WoW knock offs out there have good game design, lots of aesthetics. I can't really help you with the hard. I see it as an optic and once it has worn off, you don't get it back. If you are like me, you see anything they throw at you as just another gimmick designed to waste time. Some times a good waste, others not so much.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Might as well list Rift. A bit buggy on occasion but has a fair f2p model. Plays pretty much like wow minus the flight but the class system is a bit more flexible, giving every role to each class plus adding a fourth known as support that wow does not have.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Not an Mmo but Divinity: original sin co-op campaign was definitely the best co-op experience we had in the past decade. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

The Elder Scrolls Online is probably the most challenging mmo I have ever played.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    It might be a good time to hop into Guild Wars 2 with the new xpack. Its an excellent game to duo in and can be challenging.

ESO has its challenging moments, particularly for solo play, but its a difficult game to play with another person (phasing, grouping issues). ESO also has lots of new content to cruise through.

If you're looking for a short term romp, with some PvP, Archeage can offer alot...boats, houses, farms...donkeys...not often found type of stuff. I would go this route if you were just looking for a unique adventure, not to rekindle the old mmo flame. 

As an old schooler, I've played many games before and since. Vanilla WoW was truly a unique experience. If you do find what you're looking for, let us know!
  • khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I'd recommend WildStar. It's similar enough to WoW that it will be familiar, but it also offers a bit more variety in play style (Explorer, Settler, Soldier, Scientist). It's also just a cool setting... and it's free.

• KarvarenKarvaren Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Check out the classic/vanilla WoW server called Nostalrius. The PvP server has been up for more than a year, whilst there a fresh PvE server up and running with a healthy population. So, it's not a "new" game, but I think you could give it a go.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    NorseGod said:

Thats why I usually recommend the f2p games.....That way if you don't like it you aren't out anything...Recommending old games like EQ2 TLE and TSW which you have to pay for is just not a good idea.