Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They built a team from only 8 people to 270 in short time, that alone is a massive accomplishment

124»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

The Original Chris Roberts is over 8 feet tall and has fire coming from his eyes.  He also shoots lightning bolts out of his ass.
    Thats William Wallace ;-)    not Chris Roberts.

Have fun

Wait are you saying that Chris Roberts IS William Wallace?  Dude is completely OP now.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited November 2015
    filmoret said:

Wait are you saying that Chris Roberts IS William Wallace?  Dude is completely OP now.
    "The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess ;-) but he's pretty sure you're fucked."

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:
     even though Wikipedia tells us that "The development of [Star Citizen] started in 2011 with building a demo on a modified version of the CryEngine 3 game engine"
    Which is based on a quote from a journalist, not a direct quote from Chris Roberts.

The original Chris Roberts quote from an Oct 10th 2012 interview is :
    “This is my vision,” he says after the demonstration. “I've spent the past year [putting this together] ....

I leave it to anyone's interpretation what "the past year" means in that context. Personally I think he refers to 2012, especially considering that CIG was founded in April 2012.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Imperium_Games

Have fun

The Original Chris Roberts is over 8 feet tall and has fire coming from his eyes.  He also shoots lightning bolts out of his ass.

And it's also difficult for others to share a room with him due to the size of his head....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Erillion said:

Every successful Kickstarter computer game project there ever was =
    Date on which consumer could first preorder the game being Day 1.
    Thats the nature of Kickstarter and crowdfunding computer game projects ...

Your point is ?

Have fun

It was mostly a response to the OP, who seemed to include the original jpg as a means of implying that it would not be so unusual, compared to other ambitious MMOs, if Star Citizen were to spend another 3-5 years in development.

That graphic is really missing a key bit of info, which is that Star Citizen began accepting money from the public at large (similar to what other ambitious MMOs do when they began taking 'pre-orders') at least 2y 7mo prior to launch... therefore spending additional lengths of time in development would not make it as similar in profile to the other MMOs listed as the graphic implies.

Since this is a crowdfunded game, as you point out, they didn't really have any other way of doing it.  However, I find the original graphic a bit disingenuous.
    The problem with accepting money on day one isn't so much about the time when users can access the game. But rather, the issue is that even if the game does release, they still can't collect on that money since they already did.
     They are staring off out of the gate owing 90Mil in finished product without that future income to show for it. That's a big deal if you ask me. They will still need to continue to crowd fund and require alternative monetization even after release.

It will be interesting to see what ships are for sale then. And how much that will piss in the original backer's cheerios.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Are people really putting this game on par with EQ, WoW, etc?....Also do they really need 270 people?...I don't think its a stretch to see where the money is so quickly disappearing.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Are people really putting this game on par with EQ, WoW, etc?....Also do they really need 270 people?...I don't think its a stretch to see where the money is so quickly disappearing.

No, they are not putting on par.  There is just too many G-D armchair developers who think they can just toss out a game in a short period of time.  Think of it as a wake up call to people who aren't thinking well on the topic.  Anyone who doesn't get that mmoRPG development takes a long time should just avoid participating in topics about the development time or all least they should brag their about vast development experience by citing that hello world app they once wrote.

J H Christ.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"