Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that have exceeded your expectations

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Nitth said:
    I was on the fence about mass effect for a long time before i bought it, but when i did holy shit was i impressed and bought the whole series.

Me too. ME2 is very good ... and clean up many of the problems of the first ME.

There are plenty of good games out there. The problem, for me, is to find the time. 
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Recently that would be Project:Gorgon
    Could you say a bit more about this? I've been curious about this game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Don't read the hype, the previews, the pre-previews, the pre-review week one, the pre-review week two etc.

Just read the reviews, decided to buy and you will be presently surprised. If you read a year or two of hype and then play, of course you are going to feel that you did not get what the hype was saying you would.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
     WoW vanilla, Horde side on a PvP server blew me away. .. after playing SWG (pre-CU, CU, and NGE) and Dungeons and Dragons Online, I was impressed.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    - We need more spies. 
    - that's easier said than done. espionage at that lvl costs.. alot. 
    - I have someone who is embezzling funds from "you-know-where". We can hire more people. 
    - OMG! who else have you brainwashed now?!?! XD
    - I prefer not to say. 
    - lol you're f***ing paranoid dude. 
    - Am I?
    - I dunno man. it's been six years and you can't trust me on that?
    - You tell me. I just called your cell and you said you're in your car. Who the f*** are you?
    - oops! XD
    - Yeah I'm opening a ticket now. 
    - alright alright. how did you know I'm not the owner??
    - He never asks "who?"
    - lol. you guys are weird!
    - Yeah we don't hire hackers at least
    - yeah yeah espionage and thievery. I applaud your morals dude

EVE Online. I never thought I'll have that kind of a conversation and hundreds more the same when I joined that game. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Scot said:

Don't read the hype, the previews, the pre-previews, the pre-review week one, the pre-review week two etc.

Just read the reviews, decided to buy and you will be presently surprised. If you read a year or two of hype and then play, of course you are going to feel that you did not get what the hype was saying you would.

The problem is that the reviews are full of hype.

FFXIV 1.0 wasn't getting 10s, but it wasn't getting the true numbers it deserved (1-3*/10).

*3 might be going too far, but doze graphics doe.

Really though, the reviews are just as full of hype and fanboys as anything the developers say.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    EQ1, in 1999 this was my first MMO and I felt like I was pulled into a world I had only dreamed could be possible for a video game. The classes were deep and varied. The lore was rich and nothing could touch what it was doing at that time.

DAoC, My first deep dive into PvP on a massive scale. No MMO has done PvP as well since. At its peek, players were invested and realm pride gave a depth to PvP that no game has been able to match since. Classes again were varied to the point switching realms felt like a new game. Team synergies were even different and relied to different strengths. 

WoW, its lost its way over the past 3 expansions but it was worth the 6 years of my free time it ate. 

Rift, best end game I have ever played. The way you can switch rolls made teaming a blast and you could switch dynamics of the team mid dungeon to take things at a different angle. Someone left you could switch rolls and pick up anyone who was free. More MMOs need to give this type of freedom with your classes.

From there forward its been one bad launch after another. I cant find an MMO that grabs me for longer then a few months. I am waiting for something to grab me and it seems MMOs now a day are not worth the risk of 60 bucks to try them. If I dont get some free time to play, I dont buy it.
    Scot said:

The problem is that the reviews are full of hype.

FFXIV 1.0 wasn't getting 10s, but it wasn't getting the true numbers it deserved (1-3*/10).

*3 might be going too far, but doze graphics doe.

Really though, the reviews are just as full of hype and fanboys as anything the developers say.

You have to read between the lines, even in a proper review. If you are reading a review about an adventure game on a adventure game site, expect it to get +1 to its score out of 5 and so on.

When its a MMO I would also look at forums and speak to friends, take a holistic approach, don't just rely on reviews.

The reviews are no where near as full of hype as what leads up to them. Yes its still there and in some cases like the one you mention the reviews are way off. But look at a few reviews, look at the reviews giving a low score, find out why they gave it a lower score.

From that and applying your experience of gaming you will rarely go wrong.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Recently that would be Project:Gorgon
    I originally thought that and to some content i guess would still hold true.However i look at it a different way,a game i expected to be a 2/10 turns out to be a 6/10 does not make it a 9/10.Now a "work in progress" is imo a valid excuse as long as it is not one of these gimmicks we see other devs pulling off like early access cash grabs then the game goes into maintenance mode.

So on that note,yes it surprised me a lot but it was not great and after waiting 6 months,i saw literally zero improvement i actually felt he was making the game worse and less plausible and just adding new zones without fixing the old ones first.So basically starting something and never finishing it,unless he figured the unfinished ideas were good enough and to me they  were not.

FFXI was a big surprise to me and only got better,it seemed everyday i was learning something new.As well the more i played the more i realized how much thought was put into everything,it all seemed to mesh together and really made me happy.As noted by another person this was of course pre  Abyssea where ALL of Square Enix seemed to move in a different direction,a really bad one imo,that snowballed into FFXIV as well.

What else really surprised me?ROM  yes for the most part a WOW clone but it did some unique things and imo was pretty good,it allowed a good mix of soloing and grouping.It also tried to mimic ffxi's sub class sytem although did not do it all that great but was still better than altaholic games.

Silkroad Online.:Yes a bot infested mess but the actual game intrigued me.It used only a few combat ideas but each had a very distinct difference that really made a difference to combat.Example FREEZE would literally freeze a mob,get a few players and you could pretty much hold that mob frozen for eternity.Also had a cool Thief /trade system as well.

I can sort of say AOC was a surprise to me,at least back on launch day it was.I expected absolutely crap from the game but i actually enjoyed playing it.When the game became a ghost town i left as well,then tried going back later and it did not seem like the same game anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Scot said:

Why even bother with reviews?

Most MMOs are f2p anyway ... just play the game and see if you like it.

And if we are talking about single player games, just buy on steam and get your money back if you don't like it.

I simply don't pay for games that do not at least meet my expectations.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Scot said:

And if we are talking about single player games, just buy on steam and get your money back if you don't like it.

Not everyone wants to download every damn game that might be interesting. Additionally, some people have bandwidth restrictions based on region or circumstance; for example I am limited to 3 GB on my phone per month and sometimes when I'm somewhere without an available wifi source I use my phone as a hot spot for my laptop. If I start downloading games that will be all used up with a snap of the finger.

It's also just easier and faster to watch a couple of gameplay videos on youtube and check out a few reviews to filter out what is clearly a waste of time and what's worth even bothering with.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:

Not everyone wants to download every damn game that might be interesting. Additionally, some people have bandwidth restrictions based on region or circumstance; for example I am limited to 3 GB on my phone per month and sometimes when I'm somewhere without an available wifi source I use my phone as a hot spot for my laptop. If I start downloading games that will be all used up with a snap of the finger.

It's also just easier and faster to watch a couple of gameplay videos on youtube and check out a few reviews to filter out what is clearly a waste of time and what's worth even bothering with.

Good point (about bandwidth) and poor you.

I have 1Gb AT&T network (unlimited of course) at home, and I can get a 20G game in less than an hour. So i download pretty much everything that is remotely interesting ... if i have 5 min to check it out.
  • jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Cecropia said:
    Scot said:

This reminds me of how much we really need to invest in better infrastructure so more people have access to high speed internet.  Just a note.  Moving on.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    edited November 2015
    only mentioning games from the rpg genre:

The Elder Scrolls III :   Morrowind

Morrowind did exceed my expectations by far, such a huge open world with living beeings around and so many options for adventures & exploring.

This was my first  single player rpg with such a huge world and was with a reason the Game of the Year.

World of Warcraft (Vanilla)

This was my first mmorpg which did really pull me into its game world and which I played for almost two years, after trying DAOC and mmos like Neocron, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane.
    Such a beautiful game world with a believing wild life, so many interesting quests with a portion of jokes, funny characters and open world pvp. Interesting dungeons and all in all a lot more what I would have been expected first.

Fallout III & Skyrim

More games from Bethesda  and after beeing tired of fantasy settings, from single player games or mmorpgs, the game Fallout 3 was really a great expirience.

Both games Fallout 3 & Skyrim  did really provide amazing gameplay content, especially also with community modificiations. I would say these both games inclusive New Vegas are on of the best single player rpgs of all time (with community modifications).

edited November 2015
    Cecropia said:

Good point (about bandwidth) and poor you.

I have 1Gb AT&T network (unlimited of course) at home, and I can get a 20G game in less than an hour. So i download pretty much everything that is remotely interesting ... if i have 5 min to check it out.

For most I would suggest it is the time you would need, there are hundreds of games out each year Nari, use the reviews. After all unless you are prepared to play each game for a considerable time, you will not be able to assess it. What you think after 5 mins need not be what you think after one day.

I would guess you play until you are not having "fun". Well you can have slow patches in any game, solo or multiplayer. If you drop them as soon as you bump into one, your gaming experience will be akin to a TV viewer who only watches trailers.