Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion to rip gamers off with founders pack for Devilian.

Comments

• AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Soybean said:
    What was that old saying again? Oh yeah, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fell for it once already with AA and I am not going to do that again.
    Yeah, and the game just looks shitty. 
  • rage2winrage2win Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited November 2015
    the game is extremely boring anyway.. so.. just don't play it. I streamed it once, got bored and uninstalled live on stream. Pvp is also a joke.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    What a mind-numbingly tedious game.   Another hope for a good-quality, exciting MMO bites the dust.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

That raises as many questions as it asnwers as to why? I don't see Blizzard trying to drop PC games for Mobile apps. However, Funcom tried to change their format...Daybreak Games also announced a similar change in direction.
    Blizz is not dropping PCs. But at the same time, Hearthstone has a mobile version, and didn't they say they will port Overwatch to consoles too.

They certainly are not married to PCs only. Which way will they go in the future? Probably depends on the market. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I don't buy founder packs of f2p games.

But again, why complain ... no one is forcing anyone to buy. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    svandy said:
    DMKano said:

Why do some folks think that for how much businesses decide to sell their product is any of their business?

Because it sets an industry standard in an industry they care about? You can't argue this is not true, the dramatic increase in the price of founder's packs, pre-orders, etc is very, very obvious. People are just as free to express their disgust in this practice as companies are to engage in it, so it is pretty hypocritical to suggest that we need to just leave them be - especially when their profits are driven DIRECTLY by people like us, whereas our opinions don't rely on them at all.
    That ship has long since sailed my friend, it sailed and went to another planet and came back twice already.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Founders packs are not forced on anyone, want it, get it. Dont want it, get ahold of yourself you dont need to.
  • BanyoHDBanyoHD Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited November 2015
    Hardly surprising. Trion had a pretty solid reputation before releasing ArcheAge. It's going to be interesting to see how many gamers that are willing to forgive and forget. The slogan "No tricks, no traps" still echo in my mind each time I hear their company name. In reality most of us know that the end product was nothing like it was in Alpha when most players picked up founder's pack. I can't see why they wouldn't pull the same shenanigans again. 

But then again maybe I'm cynical and they actually learned this time around. Only time will tell.
  • JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    This just in DMKano bought 3 Obsidian packs. Once a chump...Always a..
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Uziduke said:

Devilian will be another Archeage. Trion proved that they can't westernize another Asian game by again have ridiculous founders packs that match the same as ArcheAge. Lets see how many they can fool this time around.

@Uziduke , I don't think I've seen this many 'agree' on a post before. Congrats!  :) 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    How can this be a ripoff.  You know what you get, and you can opt not to get it.  I understand, you don't like Trion.  At least make accurate statements.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    After the AA debacle you would have to be nuts to buy into this.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mgilbrtsn said:
    How can this be a ripoff.  You know what you get, and you can opt not to get it.  I understand, you don't like Trion.  At least make accurate statements.

Yup, you know what you are getting and you get to choose to get it or not.  Meeting of the minds. Not a problem.

Now if a game is a game addict, he might "feel forced" to get it but that person has a bigger issue to deal with.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    While I agree that Trion sucks a mountain of butt the size of an imperial star destroyer... I do have to say that buying a $150 founders pack for a game you have not even played yet is silly and if you do not find the value you thought you would get it is really your own fault.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited November 2015
    No pity for anyone stupid enough to buy a $150 founder pack, after Trion pulled the same exact BS last time.

(And with AA, one could even say they put in a fairly serious "bait + switch" late in development. What beta patch was it were they gutted crafting, put in labor and removed item decay? 1.2? 1.6? I can't remember. It totally changed the game, and the importance of the cash shop after that.)

Trion has proven itself to be unworthy of trust to NOT radically change a game during beta, so keep that in mind before forking over $150 for a "F2P" game, as well.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    What else do people expect? The company is living on founder pack ripoffs and whales.

• PangscarPangscar Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Yeah agree with others in the notion that if you fall for it again with this Dev after what they did with ArchaAge its your own fault not theirs. They would be stupid not to try it again if it worked the first time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Trion is becoming a very bad company cash grabbing money mongers. 
    QFT.
  • stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited November 2015
    I'm not a fan of Trion, But Trove is the great example of how F2P should be, I hope it lasts. I used to think Rift was good F2P until they became greedy/fixated with the cash shop.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    olepi said:
    The real problem comes in when you buy a founder's pack for a game, and then when the game comes out, it is completely different. Or the founder's pack is in the cash shop for cheap after release. Or you buy a lifetime sub, and in 6 months it goes F2P.
    This happened to me with Albion Online. I purchased a founders pack based upon their original vision for it to be the second coming of UO. Instead, they lost their ways and bent to the community to sell said founders packs. Now the game is a mish mash of mods. It's not a seamless world. Its all zones. Lots and lots of safe zones. They even created private dungeons... so many things have strayed that they have even removed all of (maybe I missed one) the text that states they were inspired by UO and that was what they were aiming for. A place for UO vets to go.

Now its a standard MMO that is cross-platform.

I voiced how I was upset on the forums for being had. I didn't request any money back. I just shared how I was very disappointed regarding how they sold out so fast.
  • jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a second, because...why not?

Let's say you love yourself a nice hamburger, but you're completely incapable of making one yourself or learning how to make one.  McDonald's, in their infinite wisdom, starts charging $40+ for a fast food hamburger.  No problem, you decide.  McDonald's isn't the only burger joint in town.  I'll just go to Burger King.  You've made a perfectly reasonable and valid decision to opt out of paying $40+ for a McDonald's hamburger - fair enough.  So you stroll into Burger King ready to bite into the juiciest Whopper you've had in your life, and you see that the entire Burger King menu is now $40+.  "When...why did this happen," you ask.  The clerk explains (because in this universe every cashier at Burger King understands business decisions) that McDonald's started charging $40+ for every burger on their menu, and believe it or not some clowns were buying them.  Management decided that if McDonald's could charge $40+ for their burgers, then Burger King is just as qualified and capable.

No problem, you think.  Not everyone is falling for this madness.  I'm going to go to Wendy's.  And now they're charging $40+ for their burgers.  So is every other burger joint in town for that matter.  And every clerk in every restaurant explains that it started with some clowns buying $40+ burgers from McDonald's.

You can see the problem here.  The business of hamburgers wasn't influenced by your decision to not buy as much as it was influenced by other people making the decision to buy.  This is largely the way business decisions seem to be made.  People talk about "speaking with your wallet", but that's sort of a mixed position to take.  In truth not buying something is not speaking with your wallet, and if you're not speaking then nobody is listening to you.  Businesses make a decision and then seek out positive validation for their decisions.  They have a confirmation bias.

In the above example it might have been perfectly acceptable to say you disliked McDonald's and not the practice of $40+ burgers when McDonald's was the only place doing it.  Once it became a common business practice it was no longer about a dislike of McDonald's though.  It became something bigger.
  • jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    madazz said:
    ...they have even removed all of (maybe I missed one) the text that states they were inspired by UO and that was what they were aiming for. A place for UO vets to go.
    Not to say that it's definitely the case, because you're quite possibly right.  On the other hand, this may have been a legal issue and EA may have threatened them.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Don't buy founders pack.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited November 2015
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    I was so happy that I bought AA founders pack with paypal. I got my money back that I paid to Trion from Paypal after the 'Bait and switch' and all the other shit that happened.

This was the first time I ever did such a thing but Trion took it to a level that I had no choice to get a refund.

It was a trap and they tricked me!
    Post edited by Amana on
    We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.