Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"justify the $60"

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    edited November 2015

Inflation is what happened whether you think the value is worth it or not.

Actually game inflation has not really happened. Video games have been $40 to $70 for a couple of decades now. Remember the price of Zelda OoT? It was like $59.99 on the N64. That was in 98' if anything we can count ourselves lucky.

Video Games Should Be More Expensive

Video Game Consoles

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GTAV, made $800 million in the first 24 hrs of sales in a billion dollar industry and you guys think they should charge more?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Not saying they should charge more but think about the amount of money it takes to make a video game in todays market compared to what it did say 20 years ago? Yet they charge the same amount of money for games today as they did then.
    This industry is a bit different than other industries and there has been a few changes in the product over the years that have made production and distribution a tad bit cheaper than in the past.

Today's PC games require zero physical distribution, zero raw materials and the market has grown exponentially over the decades.

There have been plenty of cost cutting innovations to make up for what is seemingly minimal inflation. Manufacturing, packaging and distribution, have pretty much been taken out of the picture.

Being able to sell a product that isn't a physical object does have it's advantages.    

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

GTAV, made $800 million in the first 24 hrs of sales in a billion dollar industry and you guys think they should charge more?
    Kind of like the guy's that argue about an athlete's 20 million dollar a year salary as not being enough.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It's because Star Wars Battlefront barely delivers 4 hours of gameplay ..... wait, is this thread about Battlefront?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

If others want to pay more then go for it.  Like the guy who has put around $30,000 into SC.  If that's what he wants to do, enjoy.  It's just something I wouldn't do.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    CrazKanuk said:
    I totally agree. $60 is actually pretty trivial. For my family, that's actually a trip to McDonald's. Going to a restaurant would cost me no less than $100. 

Another great point, for console games, is that if you buy the disc then you can re-sell it. So for people who blow through games quickly, it would be quite easy to get that net cost down to like $20, if you were able to resell it for $40. If you enjoy it an want to keep it longer then........ do I need to say it? Ok, then you're obviously playing it for hundreds of hours, so what's the gripe?

60 bucks at McDonalds?????  How many people are you feeding. I don't think you could pay me to eat 60 bucks of McDonalds food in a week.  Well you would have to pay me a hell of a lot more than 60 bucks. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    MMOman101 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    I totally agree. $60 is actually pretty trivial. For my family, that's actually a trip to McDonald's. Going to a restaurant would cost me no less than $100. 

Another great point, for console games, is that if you buy the disc then you can re-sell it. So for people who blow through games quickly, it would be quite easy to get that net cost down to like $20, if you were able to resell it for $40. If you enjoy it an want to keep it longer then........ do I need to say it? Ok, then you're obviously playing it for hundreds of hours, so what's the gripe?

60 bucks at McDonalds?????  How many people are you feeding. I don't think you could pay me to eat 60 bucks of McDonalds food in a week.  Well you would have to pay me a hell of a lot more than 60 bucks. 
    Where I live you can drop $20 if not more for two people to each get a combo. If CrazKanuk has a wife and some kids (or worse yet teenagers), the $60 is realistic. Perhaps we're getting McMilked in Canada, we do with pretty much everything else. O.o  

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    MMOman101 said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Where I live you can drop $20 if not more for two people to each get a combo. If CrazKanuk has a wife and some kids (or worse yet teenagers), the $60 is realistic. Perhaps we're getting McMilked in Canada, we do with pretty much everything else. O.o  
    Lol

Being a Canuck does have it's advantages, but McPukes pricing up here aint one of them. Luckily where I live, I have a plethora of excellent ethnic choices that are cheaper than the big M.  

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Dakeru said:
    Somehow you are completely missing the relation.
    Sure 60$ isn't much but the question whether it is worth it is always valid.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant that gives you shitty tasting food either just because they only charge 60$.

Ah, but we do have the cheapskates who think that paying for games is a bad thing and therefore can say whatever they need to claim a game isn't good enough for the money.  Oh, they might try to pull the bs that "if" a game is good enough they will pay.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2015
    $60 barely a full tank of gas? Come to NJ, last time i checked a full tank is about $20 bucks give or take.

I do agree that $60 is totally fine for a game. Classic generation of video games (cartridge base consoles) were more expensive.

I personally am very picky when buying full priced games. In this life where i am paying $60 for games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, MGSV The Phantom Pain, and other huge high quality games there is no chance i will pay the same for an incomplete piece of trash that claims to be AAA too. $60 is perfectly fine as a standard price but only for games that have the content and the quality to justify it.

EDIT: Im also willing to pay full price for a physical disc. I always wait for sales when it comes to a steam download.

$60 barely a full tank of gas? Come to NJ, last time i checked a full tank is about $20 bucks give or take.

I do agree that $60 is totally fine for a game. Classic generation of video games (cartridge base consoles) were more expensive.

I personally am very picky when buying full priced games. In this life where i am paying $60 for games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, MGSV The Phantom Pain, and other huge high quality games there is no chance i will pay the same for an incomplete piece of trash that claims to be AAA too. $60 is perfectly fine as a standard price but only for games that have the content and the quality to justify it.
    $20 bucks for a tank? What do you drive?

I've spent $75 to fill up my daily driver Buick Regal in the not so distant past. The last time I filled up a tank for that kind of money was with my first car (Honda Civic) back in 1997. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited November 2015
    The $60 price tag is and isn't acceptable depending on the game... just as others have said its really your worth... But if your a fanboi of a certain product im sure youll end up buying it anyway...
    see here in new zealand most PC games are normally around $10-$20 cheaper than the console version... and the cost of these (for new titles) normally range from around $69-$120...
    Like im going to be purchasing the collectors edition of overwatch once its released... that has a nice hefty price tag of $214.99, now thats a weeks worth of shopping... for 3 meals a day... 
    it is what it is...

EDIT: that price tag is for the PC version, the console version is $229.99
    Origins version is $114.99 (console) and $104.99 (PC)
    Just wanted to add these prices to show what we down under have to deal with...
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    labor,  packaging,  marketing,  distribution,  licenses and fees, 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Cecropia said:

I've spent $75 to fill up my daily driver Buick Regal in the not so distant past. The last time I filled up a tank for that kind of money was with my first car (Honda Civic) back in 1997. 
    a trusty '96 H. Accord. My dad has a Buick Sable and i dont think he spends that much ($75) to fill it up either.

Cecropia said:

a trusty '96 H. Accord. My dad has a Buick Sable and i dont think he spends that much ($75) to fill it up either.
    I guess it's another case of Ohhhh Canada. 

Also, '96 Accord; wise ride. You'll get your mileage out of that. 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    60$ isn't much considering games have always been around that price point even back when it was just the NES (pretty sure it was 50 back then but still). The further gaming progresses, the longer people want games to be the better looking they want them to be when in reality back in the day the 50$ price tag could have been a 2 hour game. Now people complain if it's a 10 hour campaign and multiplayer which honestly even the 10 hour campaigns are worth it to me if they provided a bit of fun. I buy most new games that come out for consoles and PC and don't regret any purchases usually unless it's a buggy unfinished mess which usually only happens on PC as early access or indie games now. I fully support games costing 60 dollars. I want games to continue to make developers money, I don't want an intrusive cash shop or crazy DLC unless thats my only option. I just want fun games.
    hell yeah. totally agree
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    scorpex-x said:
    i dont get people anymore. why are games being judged on whether or not they are worth the $60 price tag? personally, if i enjoy the game or think i will then i buy it. $60 isnt much when you think about it. its barely a full tank of gas. maybe its just me but ever since this f2p crap started people now always want more for less. no matter how good a game is, the question i see most often is is it worth the $60? thats one day at a restaurant with the family. so let me see, 1 family meal at a restaurant or a new game? hmmm....... 

I can afford to pay $40 dollars for a glass of milk, that doesn't mean milk should cost 40$.  I can afford to pay $100 for a big mac, that doesn't allow an argument to be made that $100 is ok for a big mac.

The price hike is being pushed up because they can, to keep PC gaming inline with console gaming, not because costs are rising.  Also games that obviously don't justify that kind of price (anno 2070 for instance) are selling for that price too, games like Witcher 3 or fallout 4 are a little more understandable but across the board $60?  No.

If a publisher is ripping you off you should complain and possibly boycott their game, it's not about being able to pay for something at all.  It's about having enough pride to not let people rip you off for no reason.

Why stop at $60?  why not $100, that's just a tank and a half of gas right? 

Oh and one more point, a game you buy today usually has content taken out at the design stage to sell back as DLC.  They almost always have totally unsatisfactory endings too, so you buy the next game.

Console games used to sell for higher because they had production costs and had to offer cuts of every sale to the console maker.  None of these are an issue for PC, infact they cost less because almost every triple A game these days is made on console and ported up for pc.
    as someone mentioned earlier, its not a price hike. games have been 50-60 since the NES days. those games most of the time lasted a few hours and never had updates. we spent the money on them then without bitching about content. we are the ones who have changed more than the companies have
    People have always complained about games and content.  And if people are going to use the, what they can afford idea,  then the only way to be fair would be to use a sliding scale based on income.

• BACON_STRIPSBACON_STRIPS Member UncommonPosts: 15
    $60 bucks is ok if its a big title. its not cheap for sure but consider the amount of entertainment you get from it then the price is justified. of course there are lots of games out there that cannot justify its content for the $60 i neda dish out to "play" that crap