Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"justify the $60"

Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
i dont get people anymore. why are games being judged on whether or not they are worth the $60 price tag? personally, if i enjoy the game or think i will then i buy it. $60 isnt much when you think about it. its barely a full tank of gas. maybe its just me but ever since this f2p crap started people now always want more for less. no matter how good a game is, the question i see most often is is it worth the $60? thats one day at a restaurant with the family. so let me see, 1 family meal at a restaurant or a new game? hmmm....... 

Comments

• NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Because I'm poor as fuck and still want to play AAA titels.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Well where I live $60 is about 4-5 meals for the family... Salaries are about a quarter of what they are in the US but the prices for electronics and games are actually higher due to taxes/customs fees. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Somehow you are completely missing the relation.
    Sure 60$ isn't much but the question whether it is worth it is always valid.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant that gives you shitty tasting food either just because they only charge 60$.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I totally agree. $60 is actually pretty trivial. For my family, that's actually a trip to McDonald's. Going to a restaurant would cost me no less than $100. 

Another great point, for console games, is that if you buy the disc then you can re-sell it. So for people who blow through games quickly, it would be quite easy to get that net cost down to like $20, if you were able to resell it for $40. If you enjoy it an want to keep it longer then........ do I need to say it? Ok, then you're obviously playing it for hundreds of hours, so what's the gripe?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Quality isn't what it used to be. Am I getting a game for $60? Or half a game with a DLC season pass for more money.
  • IdeaboxIdeabox Member CommonPosts: 23
    60 dollars is a lot of money, but it is what you make of it, I don't find a lot for some games, but for others I have regretted it. I even regretted spending 15 dollars on Wow starter edition. Then again I have bought games where I spend an easy 100 USD  in a month and still enjoy those games. 

an example (this is my opinion) 
    Halo 5 was for me worth the price for what I got and I love it. Multiplayer and single. 
    Star wars battlefront which actually costs me more ( not counting the season pass) I find a good game but not worth that price for the content we are getting. 

I will spend money on Black desert, and if it is good and I will buy stuff from their store for sure.
    but for example I find swtor a horrible game and will never spend a penny on it. 

in the end it is all based on your opinion, what do you think is worth 60 dollars :)
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    60$ isn't much considering games have always been around that price point even back when it was just the NES (pretty sure it was 50 back then but still). The further gaming progresses, the longer people want games to be the better looking they want them to be when in reality back in the day the 50$ price tag could have been a 2 hour game. Now people complain if it's a 10 hour campaign and multiplayer which honestly even the 10 hour campaigns are worth it to me if they provided a bit of fun. I buy most new games that come out for consoles and PC and don't regret any purchases usually unless it's a buggy unfinished mess which usually only happens on PC as early access or indie games now. I fully support games costing 60 dollars. I want games to continue to make developers money, I don't want an intrusive cash shop or crazy DLC unless thats my only option. I just want fun games.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You still have to put a worth on anything you buy,otherwise you are telling us you would pay 300 dollars  just because you like it?

I also use worth in determining if i support a game because imo ,the developer is just trying to rip you off or take advantage of terrible spenders.

Since you mentioned gas,you telling me you see two gas stations one is 3 cents cheaper you go to the more expensive one?Point being a wise consumer or just an intelligent person in general looks at worth of a product,there ALWAYS has to be a value/worth unless you have some money tree in the backyard.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol dunno what restaurant you're going to mate. Nor do I see the point in this thread. You're saying you dont care about a game's price but obviously you care about what other people value. If it doesn't matter to you, why make the thread?
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited November 2015
    i dont get people anymore. why are games being judged on whether or not they are worth the $60 price tag? personally, if i enjoy the game or think i will then i buy it. $60 isnt much when you think about it. its barely a full tank of gas. maybe its just me but ever since this f2p crap started people now always want more for less. no matter how good a game is, the question i see most often is is it worth the $60? thats one day at a restaurant with the family. so let me see, 1 family meal at a restaurant or a new game? hmmm....... 

I can afford to pay $40 dollars for a glass of milk, that doesn't mean milk should cost 40$.  I can afford to pay $100 for a big mac, that doesn't allow an argument to be made that $100 is ok for a big mac.

The price hike is being pushed up because they can, to keep PC gaming inline with console gaming, not because costs are rising.  Also games that obviously don't justify that kind of price (anno 2070 for instance) are selling for that price too, games like Witcher 3 or fallout 4 are a little more understandable but across the board $60?  No.

If a publisher is ripping you off you should complain and possibly boycott their game, it's not about being able to pay for something at all.  It's about having enough pride to not let people rip you off for no reason.

Why stop at $60?  why not $100, that's just a tank and a half of gas right? 

Oh and one more point, a game you buy today usually has content taken out at the design stage to sell back as DLC.  They almost always have totally unsatisfactory endings too, so you buy the next game.

Console games used to sell for higher because they had production costs and had to offer cuts of every sale to the console maker.  None of these are an issue for PC, infact they cost less because almost every triple A game these days is made on console and ported up for pc.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Heretique said:
    Quality isn't what it used to be. Am I getting a game for $60? Or half a game with a DLC season pass for more money.

I totally agree (even gave you an agree). It's tough to gauge though. For instance, I was fine with Destiny's DLC model. However, I did have a problem with Evolve's model. Then again, I'm ok with a 10-hour story, too. Some aren't. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Like others said, everything is judged on whether it's worth the price or not. Heck, people are judged whether they are worth the price, like when trying for a credit or renting an apartment. Why should games be an exception?

The exception is that somehow, a new "AAA" game (whats AAA even mean today? Some big name publishers produce small games, some indie publishers big ones, and quality is across the board anyways) is automatically $60. I can look up any product, and i'll find various prices. Books, cars, freezers, computers parts, food, travels, insurance..you name it.

But games are somehow always $60 upon release, and that even across countries with different incomes etc. Neither the European countries nor the US states are anywhere close to equal, yet it's always $60 (or €60).

Apparently, that doesn't matter for games. But somehow, price cuts are applied regionally, with prices differing up to 300% (the highest i've seen) - despite the initial price being the same.

So again, the question you asked is the wrong one. It's not about people irrationally judges games. The question should be "why did it take so long for people to apply the same rules to video games as they do to everything else?", or "why are video game publishers not following the same pricing rules as everyone else?"

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103
    When you have developers charging 50 to 100 dollars for content that barely equates to 100 m.b. of data, hell yeah I complain. Guild Wars 2 charges 10.00 for an emo that changes the way your character mines, harvest's, or cuts down a tree. Star Trek online wants 30 dollars for a star ship. I'd gladly pay 60 dollars for a game, but not if your gonna charge me an extra $50 to unlock a map that's the size of 10 percent of the original game.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wizardry said:
    You still have to put a worth on anything you buy,otherwise you are telling us you would pay 300 dollars  just because you like it?

I also use worth in determining if i support a game because imo ,the developer is just trying to rip you off or take advantage of terrible spenders.

Since you mentioned gas,you telling me you see two gas stations one is 3 cents cheaper you go to the more expensive one?Point being a wise consumer or just an intelligent person in general looks at worth of a product,there ALWAYS has to be a value/worth unless you have some money tree in the backyard.
    Saving money really has nothing to do with worth so your gas example is a fail.  It is the same product at a lower price.  Now if you said a pair of Walmart jeans for $20 or a pair of designer for $60 that would involve value and worth.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I am always asking if its worth the money. Is McDonalds worth 10 bucks for a combo? Is that movie worth 15 bucks? Why? 1. I dont want to chuck away any money and 2. Most important. We only have so much time on this earth and if I am going to play a MMO for months and months, I want to know its worth my time and money. 

Its kinda like BD, if you are board and have no MMO, its worth 60 bucks to kill time for a few months. If you play an MMO you are enjoying, its not worth the 60 bucks because in a few months you will have nothing to do.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Anireth said:
    Like others said, everything is judged on whether it's worth the price or not. Heck, people are judged whether they are worth the price, like when trying for a credit or renting an apartment. Why should games be an exception?

The exception is that somehow, a new "AAA" game (whats AAA even mean today? Some big name publishers produce small games, some indie publishers big ones, and quality is across the board anyways) is automatically $60. I can look up any product, and i'll find various prices. Books, cars, freezers, computers parts, food, travels, insurance..you name it.

But games are somehow always $60 upon release, and that even across countries with different incomes etc. Neither the European countries nor the US states are anywhere close to equal, yet it's always $60 (or €60).

Apparently, that doesn't matter for games. But somehow, price cuts are applied regionally, with prices differing up to 300% (the highest i've seen) - despite the initial price being the same.

So again, the question you asked is the wrong one. It's not about people irrationally judges games. The question should be "why did it take so long for people to apply the same rules to video games as they do to everything else?", or "why are video game publishers not following the same pricing rules as everyone else?"
    The last thing the entertainment industry wants is to be treated like everyone else.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Noxeron said:
    Because I'm poor as fuck and still want to play AAA titels.

I respect your honesty, most people wont admit the real reason why they want it for free.  All the lame excuses which I will not list here.  I'll just let all the people posting in this thread list them as part of their excuse, err response.
  • dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Welcome to Canada, AAA title releases are 79.99 due to our dollar dropping in value against USD. Also, when our dollar is stronger, no one re-adjusts to compensate so, in order to not get ripped off, electronic companies force us to buy USD accounts to make purchases if we wish to get fair value for our currency.

Oh and because our government is awesome, if we go directly to the US to purchase something to avoid the ridiculous price setting companies have levied on us, we get taxed on importation.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    It's rare for me to buy full price games on release.  Over the last few years I've only done it for a couple of MMO's.

I tend to wait for the GOTY editions to come out before buying a single player game. It's not a money issue, I just spend the majority of my gaming time in MMO's.  I've still got loads of games in my Steam account I haven't played.

I usually have no desire to play a game upon launch due to bugs, in your face day one DLC and due to the above.  I'll rather wait for problems to be solved and pick up a bargain further down the line which I can add to my ever growing back catalogue.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2015
    What with founder versions that can run into the hundreds and dlc you can blow past that 60 really fast.  Not to mention when you have three to five titles coming out around the same time.  

I really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor and the only others on my radar are Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and the Splinter Cell series (even though I hate they changed the voice of Sam).

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited November 2015
    Inflation is what happened whether you think the value is worth it or not.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited November 2015
    yep, those lazy ass devs should really work for free.
    seriously, who do they think they are, that they want to get payed for their work!

ps: what game are we talking about? overwatch? 60$ is the enhanced edition, the normal game goes for 40$
    juuuust sayin'

pps: also, games aren't made by 2-12 people anymore. those times are nearly gone (with a few indi exceptions... ofc)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"