Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online | The White City Under Siege | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageLord of the Rings Online | The White City Under Siege | MMORPG

Everyone has her/his own favorite book or film in a series. For the two big ones, Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, it’s become fashionable to like The Empire Strikes Back and The Two Towers, respectively, and pooh-pooh the others. Yet, Return of the Jedi and Return of the King have always been my favorite movies in those trilogies, as they represent the most epic and climactic moments in fantasy storytelling.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited November 2015
    It's good to remember just how much effort goes into story telling in the game. Not just the epic quests but everywhere, even the smallest quests. A tiny example - in the Shire you get what amounts to a set of standard 'kill 10 rats' type quests, but they're instead presented as a comedy ghost story where you're helping a hobbit to appease a ghost he's scared of by collecting things, setting off fireworks, etc.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Just so much to do in this game. I came back after a lengthy break and only on update 15. I still can't wait to get to Minas Tirith!
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I lost interest when i lost everything when the game moved out of europe (off codemasters) they gave 2 weeks to claim accounts however my PC was down for repair for a month and i just plain and simply refused to buy everything from scratch again.
    Neverbeen back.
  • Marmi16Marmi16 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I lost interest when i lost everything when the game moved out of europe (off codemasters) they gave 2 weeks to claim accounts however my PC was down for repair for a month and i just plain and simply refused to buy everything from scratch again.
    Neverbeen back.
    You probably missed something because they gave actually a year to claim accounts...
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Looks like I need to update LOTRO, this sounds wonderful!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Marmi16 said:
    Neverbeen back.
    You probably missed something because they gave actually a year to claim accounts...
    ... and in some cases even after that period the Support could help recovering not-transferred accounts. Fun part is, the servers are on their way of coming back to Europe soon™  :wink: (but still under Turbine, not giving them back to Codies)

"and of course, the White Tree of Gondor, which happens to be modeled after Tolkien’s favorite tree in the Oxford Botanic Garden."
    I too posted about it earlier :wink: (http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6770916/#Comment_6770916  )
  • BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Loved this game. Stopped playing because the main quest marker vanished from my screen sometime after visiting the Brown wizard. When I returned to the game my character was gone. It had something to do with turbine no longer hosting the game or something like that... I had event horses and many cash shop items.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Neverbeen back.

My Brother was able to get his old europe account long time after the period they gave for it. I was telling him no way they will give him his old account, but he wrote to support and they just simply gave it back. Also beffore it we tried to do a character with his old name and it was impossible because the character with that name still did exist. So they still have all the old data on the server I would say. Jus try it man.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I understand getting frustrated but Turbine has always been good about resolving any issues Ive had.  I would bet you could get your old account back. 
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Turbine has some of the best support I've had in any MMO. I accidentally deleted an item, 10 minutes later a GM gave it me back; I once bought something accidentally without using the free voucher, they gave me the points back and let me keep the item.

Compare that to Trion - raise a support query as a subscriber, 7 weeks (I do not exaggerate) later I get an auto response saying they're busy and they're going to close my question as it's probably not relevant any more.
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Athisar said:
    Turbine has some of the best support I've had in any MMO. I accidentally deleted an item, 10 minutes later a GM gave it me back; I once bought something accidentally without using the free voucher, they gave me the points back and let me keep the item.

Compare that to Trion - raise a support query as a subscriber, 7 weeks (I do not exaggerate) later I get an auto response saying they're busy and they're going to close my question as it's probably not relevant any more.
    I've had a good experience with Trion CS. It was for Trove during open beta though...so that might be why.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Turbine support has save me several times.  Some of the best support for a MMO around.  Looking forward to trying out the new area.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    One of my alltimes favourites... Would be on top of my list if the big battles would have been more fun.. i just cant stand them

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited November 2015
    i tried and got some message saying it was too late and this was not long after the stated deadline. I never went back after that, having decided to not bother repurchasing everything all over again. I am also not the only person who had this dilemma either and too my knowledge none of us have played it since.

P.S I did send a couple of e-mails but never had a reply back, after several months i gave up on it. Stayed with WoW, Rift. Got Defiance, SWtor, Aion, defiance, GW2 and ESO + others (others + Swtor/Aion no longer played).
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I always find it funny when people bash a game like mainstream did and then never apologizes after he/she is corrected. Kind of sad at the same time.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The story telling in LoTRO is really solid but man what a questathon this game is....It absolutely wore me out on ever questing again and I didnt even make it to max level.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    The story telling in LoTRO is really solid but man what a questathon this game is....It absolutely wore me out on ever questing again and I didnt even make it to max level.
    I found questing in LOTRO fun. I loved my mini!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

While I don't support the "boosting / rushing" and used to speak against those mechanics all the time (especially if the story is great :wink: ), if your goal is just the cap, you can get there fast through the skirmishes (and big battles, which are essentially also skirmishes). There's also the Valar gift (instant lvl50) but that's pricey.

Skirm is the common way if you already know the story and don't like leveling. I think you can start doing Helm's Deep at lvl10, which is maybe 30 minutes after the character creation - or if you don't have the expansion, "regular" skirmishes start at lvl20. If you don't mind the grind, you can reach lvl100 in a few weeks I think.
    (but since the xp gain raise, the leveling "way" is faster too, you only need to do maybe half of the quests in every zone and you can go further to the next zone. Even faster with xp boost - but same goes to skirmishes.)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    It definitely seems like a labor of love by the small team that remains. But there just isn't enough in the game to get me to reinstall. Maybe a final mordor update will do that.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    One of my alltimes favourites... Would be on top of my list if the big battles would have been more fun.. i just cant stand them
    I was heartbroken (well, within the reasonable boundaries of a video game) with helm's deep. 

I played it once and never want to play it again.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Just curious, I know this has been a beat horse issue, so to speak, but have they added a new zone for pvp? I have been out of touch for a while, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. :)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    starstar1 said:
    Just curious, I know this has been a beat horse issue, so to speak, but have they added a new zone for pvp? I have been out of touch for a while, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. :)
    No.
  • Ruca77Ruca77 Member CommonPosts: 2
    starstar1 said:
    Yes they did, a Osgiliath pvmp map :)
    gervaise1 said:
    starstar1 said:
    No.
    Hehe bro dont asnwer like that if dont know ;D they added 1 with Osgiliath ;) safe travels all!
  • Ruca77Ruca77 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Minas Tirith is epic! Amazing detail, great update! \o/
    gervaise1 said:
    starstar1 said:
    No.
    Damn, take a cool, off-forum rest, and you miss a nice LotRO question - with a failed answer :wink: but as I see it was already corrected.

@starstar1 with Update16 the story reached Osgiliath, and as they stated already last year, in the roadmap for 2015, a bit after 16 launch (with U16.2 in July) they added Osgiliath as the second PvMP map into the game. (tiny shameless plug this post :wink: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6703804/#Comment_6703804 )
    It's smaller than Ettenmoors obviously, since it's one huge city (now in ruins). How much smaller, my guess would be, maybe the top (or bottom) 1/3 of the Moors, since it's a more rectangular map... Imagine from Grams to Isendeep with Lugz as the bottom line - or from GV to hobbityville, with TR-to-River outpost as the upper line if you prefer freeps :lol:
    Since it's without the open landscape and has lots of ruins (plus the smaller size) it has lots of places for ambush, shorter travel time back to the action, etc. so it's a quite different map overall.

Of course I don't like pvp, so don't take my opinion for it...  I preferred the open, strategic aspect of the 'Moors - until it existed, near launch... So even I would like pvp, Osgiliath is much more about action than Ettenmoors was, and it has a distinct DotA-clone stench too (with lines, control points, etc. - not that I'm familiar with those moba-titled craps either :lol: ) But visually, it's great. And the creep quests are hilarious, as always. Heh :wink: