Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Golden Rules" of EVE

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
This link is a great set of rules for new players (and some veterans) to keep in mind on how to play EVE.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Golden_Rules

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Off topic, I really wish this game had a much smaller barrier to entry.  Every time I have tried to pick it up and play beyond 10-20 hours, I then realize that the game is so immense, that so many people are so far beyond you...that I'll never have the cool big ships and resources to do XYZ and create my own experiences.  It'll take an obscene amount of time.  Not that I want instant gratification, but man...hard to get into.
  • Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Nah its about finding a niche .. yes you won't have the biggest most ridiculous ships .. but there is much more to the game then waiting around on that fight where the TItans are even getting brought out anyway .. it is all just a matter of scaling .. fighting in a small ship is just as exciting as fighting in a large ship .. many very old pilots still prefer to fight in small ships .. they will tell you that you get more fights and the feeling of accomplishment when you fight above your weight class makes all the difference .. 

Also it really depends on what you want to do .. PVE/Explore/PvP/Mining etc .. then its just a matter of scale after that .. 

I suggest finding a good corp .. someplace you can call home .. where your contributions are going towards something larger than yourself .. that way you won't feel like a small fish in such a big pond .. you'll be part of a pack of small fish (insert cliche about oceans and pirahnas or what have you here) lol 
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Eh.  Maybe some day.  Its one of those games that I have great admiration for because its been around for so long, has its scope of players, and literally anything can go...even quasi ponzi schemes.  
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    cesmode8 said:
    Off topic, I really wish this game had a much smaller barrier to entry.  Every time I have tried to pick it up and play beyond 10-20 hours, I then realize that the game is so immense, that so many people are so far beyond you...that I'll never have the cool big ships and resources to do XYZ and create my own experiences.  It'll take an obscene amount of time.  Not that I want instant gratification, but man...hard to get into.
    I don't think you quite understand how to play the game. You don't need big ships to make big isk, you can do it in a T1 exploration frigate. In literally a couple of hours of gameplay will put you in a position to make 20 mil isk per hour. Create a character, do the Exploration career agent missions and this will give you the T1 exploration frigate, probe launcher and probes then you can buy a relic and data analyser from the market. Head into a wormhole and start hacking the non-sleeper data and relic sites. If you lose your T1 frigate it's a couple of million refit. Then you can start working on your combat skills for combat sites. From there the universe is your saltwater clam.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    cesmode8 said:
    Obviously you haven't read the link above...

You are just making gross, false assumptions. Example? I have recently started a trial to help out forum poster here, on 10 day mark of casual play, I made enough ISK(about 1.1B) to buy a PLEX(subscription purchased with ingame money)...

Really, it's all just knowledge and your ability to use it.
  • Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    There's always something fun to do and if you look there's usually someone willing to show you how the ropes in whatever fun it is they are having .. 

but it is a game for those who want to actively seek out fun .. it is definitely no themepark where it's all just handed to you in a linear questline with blinking question marks over innkeepers head lol 

come back .. fly dangerously .. get killed in fiery and explosive ways its only pixels anyway 
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited November 2015
    Points mentioned aren't barriers. There are no barriers of fun. I enjoyed this game at all levels. Piloting a Titan is not fun per se, you'll feel proud but then is so much stress and responsibility  ;)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    That's why if you show those "Golden Rules" to a new player interested in playing EVE, they will turn it down without hesitation. Not for nothing the game lost half it's active player base since 2012.  EVE is a constant battle of being more at it than your real life and that's a major turn off no matter how hard you try to defend the game. Granted, you got those "hard core" gamers that will stick to EVE, but even them are slowly leaving EVE, the numbers don't lie. At the rate EVE is currently losing people, by 2019 they'll have the same amount of people online than they had in 2005.  So people that try so hard to defend EVE-Online are doing such a great job at it, that it's turning everyone away from it.  Soon it won't have much meaning playing a open world PvP with full loot when you'll have more star systems than players, huh?  
    edited November 2015
    BigRambo said:
    That's why if you show those "Golden Rules" to a new player interested in playing EVE, they will turn it down without hesitation. Not for nothing the game lost half it's active player base since 2012.  EVE is a constant battle of being more at it than your real life and that's a major turn off no matter how hard you try to defend the game. Granted, you got those "hard core" gamers that will stick to EVE, but even them are slowly leaving EVE, the numbers don't lie. At the rate EVE is currently losing people, by 2019 they'll have the same amount of people online than they had in 2005.  So people that try so hard to defend EVE-Online are doing such a great job at it, that it's turning everyone away from it.  Soon it won't have much meaning playing a open world PvP with full loot when you'll have more star systems than players, huh?  
    Those golden rules apply since the game was launched in 2003 and the game population grew ever since until recently so it is unlikely a reason why people leave the game.

The game started to experience population stagnation around 2011 and turning into a decline a year later. Since 2011, CCP was pushing the game hard into a more mainstream familiar title - implementing carrots on the stick, PVE/raid content, dress ups, etc.

So if one should point out the contributor based on population chart and changes made to the game, it would likely be the opposite - the diversion from those "golden rules" and making the game more...for the lack of better word, mainstream.

Golden rules are hardly a problem.

But then again, you do not play nor understand the game so it's moot point having this discussion...
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Gdemami said:
    BigRambo said:
    Those golden rules apply since the game was launched in 2003 and the game population grew ever since until recently so it is unlikely a reason why people leave the game.

The game started to experience population stagnation around 2011 and turning into a decline a year later. Since 2011, CCP was pushing the game hard into a more mainstream familiar title - implementing carrots on the stick, PVE/raid content, dress ups, etc.

So if one should point out the contributor based on population chart and changes made to the game, it would likely be the opposite - the diversion from those "golden rules" and making the game more...for the lack of better word, mainstream.

Golden rules are hardly a problem.

But then again, you do not play nor understand the game so it's moot point having this discussion...
    Eve should be renamed 'Elitist' because that's the message I get from every hardcore fan who defends the game against even the slightest criticism. Everyone that doesn't agree with you is brainless and can't play the game can they?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You say the word "elitist" as if it were a bad thing.....curious. B)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    cesmode8 said:
    So wrong.

You need knowledge of the game.

Wealth ingame is easy to get.
    If you use your brain capacity you should only need 1 trial period and maybe 1-2 months TOPS and from then on you *should* be rich enough to buy timecodes and play for free.

And skillpoints are not the main thing.

This game is not levelbased like if you get stomped as a lvl 5 by a lvl 100.

You can defeat a 150M sp player as a 5M sp player if you use your brain.
    Most players with lots of skillpoints can't fight their way out of a paper bag without the help of hundreds of others, they are that bad and desperate.

Learn to think outside the WoW themepark box.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Elitist types inhabit every game that has been around a long time.  Major reason why I prefer playing newer games.  You can never catch up with vet players in these older games. 
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    its apply to any sandbox or games want be sandbox 
    if fall in this rules its not sandbox anymore 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    flizzer said:
    Elitist types inhabit every game that has been around a long time.  Major reason why I prefer playing newer games.  You can never catch up with vet players in these older games. 
    You don't need to catch up with the vets in EVE,  a tough concept for many to grasp.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited November 2015
    That's a great set of Rules.  Some work should be done to better arrange them.

For Example:

Be able to afford a loss (1/1)

• Never fly something (or with something in the cargo) you can't afford to lose. Yes, not even in highsec. Meaning that you should not fly a ship you cannot afford to replace and refit.

You will lose stuff, don't worry! (1/4)

• If you lose stuff, it's almost always your fault. Really, only yours.
    The section labeled "You will lose stuff", actually had two items more about PvP timers, how they work and being mindful of them.  This is why I think this section should have been about PvP Timers.  Other none timer related items should have been moved.  Clearly "If you lose stuff" belonged under "Be able to afford a loss."  

The fourth item in the category belonged in a third more appropriate category "unfair circumstances".

The statement about harassment doesn't belong under the "Scams" header.  It deserves its own header.

There are probably more refinements possible, but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

One last thing, "Golden Rule" is the wrong name for this post.  "The Threat We Make to You", that is the more appropriate title.  The only thing veteran players will take from this, "You don't scam, harass, or victimize new player enough."  The veterans already know that there are too few new players in game.  That's why EvE has one of the highest multibox ratios ~20:1.

IMO, EvE's Rules should have been more like Planetside 1.  I'm not gonna discuss one on one each rule.  I feel both games are very similar.  The other players and I came away with a better overall experience from PS1, than those who left EvE.  Maybe I'm wrong, and once you introduce Credits, Scamming, and Resources into PS1 you inevitably end up with EvE's Rules.  I just don't believe so.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    flizzer said:
    EVE is a bit different in that regard. An old but relevant thread right here
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    mark2123 said:
    Eve should be renamed 'Elitist' because that's the message I get from every hardcore fan who defends the game against even the slightest criticism. Everyone that doesn't agree with you is brainless and can't play the game can they?
    Nah, just read his post history...
  • Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    cesmode8 said:
    Off topic, I really wish this game had a much smaller barrier to entry.  Every time I have tried to pick it up and play beyond 10-20 hours, I then realize that the game is so immense, that so many people are so far beyond you...that I'll never have the cool big ships and resources to do XYZ and create my own experiences.
    There is very little in Eve that you can't be doing to some degree within a month or two.  Not really sure what it is that you want to do to "create your own experiences" but that entry barrier is entirely self-imposed.
    Muke said:
    So wrong.

You need knowledge of the game.

Wealth ingame is easy to get.
    If you use your brain capacity you should only need 1 trial period and maybe 1-2 months TOPS and from then on you *should* be rich enough to buy timecodes and play for free.

This is largely nonsense.  Oh, sure, you can do it - but it's only "free" if you don't value your time and are bad at math.  There aren't many people in Eve who can effectively outearn even the lowliest of real life McJobs in terms of "Isk per hour".  Paying for your sub in-game does little more than turn your recreational time into a second job at a really shitty payrate.

edited November 2015
    Minuszer0 said:
    This is largely nonsense.  Oh, sure, you can do it - but it's only "free" if you don't value your time and are bad at math.  There aren't many people in Eve who can effectively outearn even the lowliest of real life McJobs in terms of "Isk per hour".  Paying for your sub in-game does little more than turn your recreational time into a second job at a really shitty payrate.
    Just because you are making ISK in the game does not make it a 2nd job.
    Gdemami said:
    Minuszer0 said:
    Just because you are making ISK in the game does not make it a 2nd job.
    If you're farming isk to keep your account running, yes, actually, it sort of does.  A really, really stupid, sub-minimum wage job, at that.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Kyleran said:
    This link is a great set of rules for new players (and some veterans) to keep in mind on how to play EVE.

Thanks for the set of rules. It's also why I won't play Eve. Good luck to those who do, you'll need it.
    Alverant said:
    Kyleran said:

Thanks for the set of rules. It's also why I won't play Eve. Good luck to those who do, you'll need it.

Most of those rules could be abstracted down to, "Exercise a modicum of critical thinking."

It's kind of funny how many people find that offensive.  :D
    Minuszer0 said:
    If you're farming isk to keep your account running, yes, actually, it sort of does.  A really, really stupid, sub-minimum wage job, at that.
    It may become a job, but it does not have to. Not the same you were saying with post I replied to.