Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert News - Daum to Restrict IPs to EU and NA Only

2»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:
    Standard practice - they want every region to maintain their own playerbase. If they didn't have the game in multiple regions there would be no IP restrictions outside of Korea.
    Standard practice seems to be to include Oceanic and some other regions (latin America?) on the US servers. This will be the first mmo I have wanted to play that doesn't allow Oceanic players on the US server. In fact I can't think of any mmo that has does this - are there any?
    guys its kano you just nod and smile and ignore anything else he says, now i'm curious about something though last time I saw a game block it they didn't launch the servers in the other regions, and when they finally did no one played becasue it was already old news, and black desert is already old news, so I don't think holding back even more the game will make it popular
    Well, I think Kano actually says some pretty insightful things, but putting aside my huge disappointment and almost outrage I guess that Oceanic players will be blocked from the US server (imagine if that was standard practice!!? No mmos for those south of the border/equator), I really am interested in hearing what all these other mmos are that block Oceanic players in this way. 
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Good decision by Pearl Abyss. We'll see how Daum handles the playerbase.
    Heretique said:
    Good decision by Pearl Abyss. We'll see how Daum handles the playerbase.
    Yes good decision, like walking off a cliff is a good decision.  
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Stupidest shit i have heard in a long time, i understand the need to combat gold spammers so just block the countries in which they are coming from. I have been playing with a gaming guild for 5 + years now and apparently i can no longer play the game with them if we so choose to all play it. To me it is not about just stopping gold sellers t is also just laziness on the companies part, if they can I.P block the rest of the world then it would make sense to me from a business perspective to JUST block the countries that are creating the problem, therefore turning over more revenue because more people can play on a set number of servers that would probably keep running longer as opposed to setting up a bunch of servers that in time (and yes it will happen) will have to be shut down due to low population numbers. I can understand what they are trying to do but i think it is a stupid lazy way to handle the situation. Unless i am able to play on US servers with my guild which is solely based in the US then you have lost my money.
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • geusarenageusarena Member UncommonPosts: 3
    YES TURKEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • MegaMouseGWMegaMouseGW Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I just wish that more companies would do this to keep the unwanted off servers where they do not belong.
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    I just wish that more companies would do this to keep the unwanted off servers where they do not belong.
    And whilst they all inherit this kind of outcome your servers will become baron wastelands and more and more games will shutdown quicker than what it took to develop them due to not have enough people populating the servers......yep makes complete sense to me.
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    ugh.. hope South Africa can still log into the Euro servers. I can't go through a VPN first. My ping is bad enough as it is.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    lol i see ignorant and possibly bigoted comments about TR being part of EU or not. guys, what part of "TR is always in EU services for mmos" did you not understand? i never commented on the other subject, that's a whole other discussion and this is not the place for it. EU is much more than just geographical criteria. It involves history, trade, influence etc. For example Cyprus is nowhere near europe geographically but a part of EU. And if im not mistaken Israel participates in Eurovision etc. There are many examples like this. I just commented that TR is always served in the EU region of mmos to this date without exception and yes this is extraordinary and thus my comment on it. The other discussion, i won't even entertain internet people with these kind of discussions any further. (protip: Ottoman Empire had borders till Vienna, balkan countries that are part of EU right now was under Ottoman rule for 500 years with variations from country to country. The seat of power, trade and faith of the old world, Constantinople, is still in Turkey. Things are not black and white and everything i said in this post are historical facts, not an attack or anything -unlike your replies to my orginal comment-, whether it seems to you like that or not. Peace out, and cheers. Hope everyone can understand im not infringing any site rules in this post.)
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    GG
    time to use VPN to play like old times 
  • erwhinflerwhinfl Member UncommonPosts: 6
    brihtwulf said:
    This will keep many Asian players out of the Western servers, but certainly not all of them. As we've learned from almost every other game launch (particularly free to play), large numbers of Asian farmers use VPNs and other tactics to go around those blocks and make accounts anyway.

Big no
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Pirates of the Burning Seas by FLS tried running a Oceanic server in partnership with Bigpond on the grounds that they wanted to provide better local service and SOE told them they could not service here...
    See how well that went.  Oh...yeah.
    (the server was in Seattle with the NA servers and Bigpond / Telstra / Gamearena messed up everywhere.)

They didn't IP block though.  But the market here is just too small.

However, get used to this.  The Aussie government wants GST on internet transactions - that is -  they want foreign companies marketing over the internet to charge GST and pay it to the ATO.
    If you knew what a headache that would be (they would effectively have to complete quarterly BAS statements - and pay an admin person to do this) then the simple solution is to IP block Australian customers.  You lose some revenue but save a ton of hassle.

As for blocking 'Asians' - you do know not all Gold farmers are Asian?  right?

If you want to block gold farmers - design the game properly - or really badly...that works too.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Apparently Oceanic territories will actually be able to play on either EU or NA servers:

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/786-territory-of-service-updated-13112015/
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited December 2015
    Guess peeps don't actually understand the reason for ip blocks.
    If u think is for gold sellers then your delusional :pleased:

Nobody who run games give a damn about gold sellers, they just j use it as an excuse to make money.
    U buy the rights to publish the "game" in your aria, don't think the Russians are gonna be happy that if they screw the Russian players to much they will play on the EU servers.
    For years now (got no clue under witch rock you have been playing) Russia and Turky had their "game" versions.

The  last 10 years i have seen no company actually doing something productive against gold sellers.
    In old school games one had GM's and no gm's are not forum moderators (well they are now)
    Last time i saw something like a GM online was in Devilian, he was standing next to 2 gold sellers who where still gold selling 12 hours after "it" logged off.

Peeps in Europe 742,452,000
    Peeps in Russia 143,975,923
    Peeps in Oceania 36,659,000 (woot ? :P )
    And just for some fun numbers.
    Peeps in Germany 81,083,600
    Peeps in England 53,012,456
    Peeps in Turkey 77,695,904
    Peeps in Korea 76,497,881

And now for the magic number.
    Peeps in China 1,376,049,000 (OMFG yeah that's more then Europe, USA, and Russia to gether)
    Peeps in india 1,140,08300 (yeah there are getting there :)

Tokyo 35,676,000 (same number in one city as Oceania)

Some one who does math translate.

Post edited by breadm1x on

• UrbanaUrbana Member UncommonPosts: 1
    My bet is, that they didn't buy the licenses to run the game in those regions. More regions more money.