Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no Game of Thrones mmorpg?

2»

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    BTW Crowfall is heavily inspired by Game of Thrones

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Mmmm untold thousands of Daenerys' running around.

I'll be right over here, don't wait.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Is it possible to create a GoT MMO ? Sure.
    Will it happen ? Very unlikely.

Reasons:
    - The MMORPG genre is on the decline. Only small and independent or companies from asia have MMORPGs in the pipeline. The money is made with other game genres today.
    - The IP license alone would cost a fortune which especally small companies couldn't afford.
    - The IP is already old. Considering it takes 4-5 years to develop an MMO it's already too late to start now.
    - The risk with an established IP is higher than creating something new as customers/fans have too high predefined expectations.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well, one could definitely make a MMO in the GoT setting. It would be downright trivial. All one could play would be human knight, though.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    My take on this. One word, lisencing.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    So far it seems, from both game mechanics and community, that we'll see a lot of GoT-like story coming from it. Looking forward to Crowfall. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited November 2015
    to me it'd need mount and blade warband combat or teso type combat if we add magic into the mix

*players don't actually join the big houses lannisters,starks,etc they create there own houses 

* in game marriage system where players can join each other's houses form ingame alliances etc

* the game does'nt follow the books the big houses will be there at the beginning but it will be up to the  most powerful playermade houses on the server to build up there armies to take them on  with the targaryens being the hardest to take on but if you win against them your house will gain 2 dragons.

*the house that gains these dragons will be able to breed them to have a total max of 6 dragons in the house dragon's won't be  godly but it'll take more than 2 big houses to ally together to take down said big house with dragons.

*if the allied houses manage crush the houses that had the dragons they have the choice of keeping 2 of the dragons if there are any alive or killing them  and do the entire world a favor which would  take around 2 months (real life time)for them to come back again.

I'd type more but i gtg to work but that's how i think it should go.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Someone will one day. Triple A? Take a company with balls to try.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    FYI, you're wrong.

What you call "optimism" is actually hype.

What you call "pessimism" is actually realistic expectations.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Make a single player (+co-op the main campaign) open world action combat RPG plus some strategic elements (mostly mini-games) that you play as Aegon The Conqueror and you can tame dragons and I'll be a happy *******. 

Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • jessicamavisjessicamavis Member CommonPosts: 2
    what about this game, Pirate King, http://onepiece2-pirateking.wikia.com/
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I did not know that.   

IMO, a GoT rpg would be a heavy rpg game.  Not sure how you would do that in a mmoRPG and gain a reasonable ROI.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    Go with one of Martin's lesser-known (but cheaper to license) creations.

(Can you imagine how many emails from wannabe junior developers or 3rd rate producers trying to acquire rights the guy must receive daily right now? Price of success.)