Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now i see why people quit this game.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    McLeet said:
    There will be plenty of games that you are allowed to exploit peoples stupidity. Eve is the extreme end in that pretty much anything goes but two games that originally come to mind for me are WoW with its raids and Runescape with its luring.

On WoW, if you join a group in a raid with the raid leader on master looter, well, tough luck when that leader decides that all of the loot goes to him or his friends. The GMs will just say there isn't anything that they can do and its our fault for being in a group with master looters. On Runescape, luring is basically allowed. You trick people, steal their stuff, developers don't care. In these games, I see them in worse light because realistically, this behavior shouldn't be allowed as it isn't in line with the rest of the game.

The stance with WoW has usually been that you have to ask if the person will distribute fairly with master loot on them.  If they say yes, it is actionable against them when they go against their word.  Additionally, they must say what is reserved for themselves or their friends ahead of time to avoid any entanglements with GMs as there is a common perception that it should be fair.  It would be up the individual GM if the former wasn't asked, or the latter wasn't stated.  Though this is how you protected yourself, or at least had action taken against the group leader's account if they were scamming like this.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited November 2015
    [mod edit]
    That's... basically one shit-fit catalyst's worth of damage.  It gets uglier, too, when you consider the cycle time.

That was pretty laughable plan you came up with.  Smarter people just bring a Procurer, or go more than a few jumps from The Forge.
    Post edited by Amana on
    edited November 2015
    [mod edit]
    Nah, it didn't.  It's just that the risk was largely imagined.

You basically had Lisa Simpson's tiger-repelling rock. ;)
    Post edited by Amana on
  • MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited November 2015
    What's starting to degrade my love for EVE and the EVE community is this notion that it's "smart people" vs "dumb people" ---

As a long time player myself, I do realize a certain sense of gratification from performing well in Eve, considering it's high difficulty curve.   I just think people have taken that sensation too far by attributing being successful in Eve to being an intelligent person.     The same goes for the adverse, where as Eve elitists consider new players or even just those that don't like the game, or are simply not very good at it, a 'dumb person' or other forms of stupidity.

This is an ugly road that we've been driving on and I think it's time to divert attention to the game mechanics itself and less on who's stupid and who's smart. 

It's a video game.   Whoever likes it will enthrall themselves into and naturally become more effective.   Has nothing to do with smart or stupid.   

I do not enjoy FPS games, like AT ALL, thus, I do not spend a lot time playing them.   I do not get to a point where anyone could consider me as a GOOD fps player.  
    Does this give CoDfanbois the right to call me stupid or dumb if they see me lose a match?

I never call anyone stupid or dumb in the Eve universe.   If so, it's friendly to someone that knows I'm joking with them or just being ironic.    I don't think it's necessary for people to attack other people's intelligence based on how successful they are playing Eve.  Or any game for that matter.  

TL:DR- I think we should all ask ourselves if committing our whole life to a video game in order to be the best/l33t/uber/famous/etc player makes us, by default, a "smarter" person than those that didn't.
    Post edited by MMOvision on
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 
    I have worked in the new-bro help channel on and off for about 5 years, and not once have i nor the regular helpers attempted to scam/rip off new players, our goal is to help the new-bros integrate and understand EvE unique game environment.
    EvE has arguably the most helpful group of players of any mmo i have played, yes there are scammers, the games nature means that at core its about 'getting ahead' by any means necessary

But dont for one minute think that helpers in the proper help channels are trying to rip of new-bros because i know that isn't the case. 

Also, just because you see players trying to scam doesn't mean they are actually succesful at it. Greed in real life has cost people money, pyramid schemes exist in real life, if anyoen thinks they can make a quick buck then so be it. But, dont think its just in eve this happens.

Im not defending the game by saying it doesn't happen, but , its actually only a small % of players who act like this, most of the players are quite happy to offer free advice and help to anyone new, and if your a longer term player then you should know how eve works,.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    edited November 2015
    Quazal.A said:
    I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 
    I have worked in the new-bro help channel on and off for about 5 years, and not once have i nor the regular helpers attempted to scam/rip off new players, our goal is to help the new-bros integrate and understand EvE unique game environment.
    EvE has arguably the most helpful group of players of any mmo i have played, yes there are scammers, the games nature means that at core its about 'getting ahead' by any means necessary

But dont for one minute think that helpers in the proper help channels are trying to rip of new-bros because i know that isn't the case. 

Also, just because you see players trying to scam doesn't mean they are actually succesful at it. Greed in real life has cost people money, pyramid schemes exist in real life, if anyoen thinks they can make a quick buck then so be it. But, dont think its just in eve this happens.

Im not defending the game by saying it doesn't happen, but , its actually only a small % of players who act like this, most of the players are quite happy to offer free advice and help to anyone new, and if your a longer term player then you should know how eve works,.
    Lol new-bro haha. Yep I am sure that is all nice, but that is def not eve, you are 100 percent making up stories. All the new-bro as you call it help channel, is a bunch of people who think they know everything, and just say garbage over and over again. Then it 99 percent of the times descents into a conversation about one of the following. Sex, Drugs, Politics RL, or just utter garbage. 
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
      " In Space only Prey scream, Goonswarm smiles "
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I played for 3 months, trying as much as I could, though I'm a bit casual as I have family, business, other hobbies etc, so I didn't do any peripheral reading, I just did the tutorial and played the game.

I was invited to a corp and this guy spent a few hours talking me though things and being helpful - then he offered for me to join his corp.  First time I'd been invited to a corp and he made it sound really interesting.  He talked me through it all and said he could transport my goods to their base.  In 3 months, even as a casual, I'd built up some ships etc and this base was in null-sec, which I fancied trying out (I like to try as much of a game as possible and visit all the content).  You know what's coming next - I lost the lot and the guy blocked me from conversation after I contracted it to him.  Of course it was stupid to think I could trust him, but you have to start somewhere and other online games I played I've found people more helpful and less willing to rip you off i.e. even if they can, their humanistic niceness prevents them from doing it.  You see, even if I was in the position of a corp where I could steal everything, I couldn't do it to anyone as I know what effort goes into getting it and as it's a game but with a human at the other end of it, I just can't be like that to people.  With my attitude, I guess me and Eve are not that compatible.

Anyhow, lesson learned for me and I left the game because I really couldn't be bothered to start again.  No idea who's loss that is really?
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    well all games have ............. in public chats
    my opnion to eve sub declines very easy 
    1 - Insane ammount things you need learn 
    2 - you realy put nice ammount efforts here or use a b.. 
    3 - can lost all efforts in easy mistake(i know its kind fun for somes , but not most)
    4 - need large creditcard pocket or time 

Based this thing sub in eve just dont decline so fast because many have 3-4 accounts 
    I dont go say to me this guys not use bot , ilusion 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Just want to say I was surprised by getting ganked in my cloaked Viator as I warped into Jita yesterday, so it does happen.

Now my corp points out the trade hub docking BMs. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Quazal.A said:

Lol new-bro haha. Yep I am sure that is all nice, but that is def not eve, you are 100 percent making up stories. All the new-bro as you call it help channel, is a bunch of people who think they know everything, and just say garbage over and over again. Then it 99 percent of the times descents into a conversation about one of the following. Sex, Drugs, Politics RL, or just utter garbage. 
    [mod edit]
    I dont call anyone a n00b because being a new player doesn't make you a n00b thats more a derogatory term used by the kids of COD/MW and WoW etc, your a new-bro so the terminology is my own choosing. I chose to use new-bro because for me eve players as a community is such that you you may end up being a bro either by my side or against me in battle. I have a lot of long term friends which started off from either of us killing the other 

Next, lets see, your saying im making up stories, I think you may or may not choose to believe this screen shot but this was from my original acceptance mail to work as an ISD (which is a CCP endorsed, trained helper of new players, these are the guys that are found in the new player channel or flying around in their CCP frigates)

https://gyazo.com/9e99398ae959d806dd8f5274e20ee842

This, is something that as i was in my third year at uni i couldn't fully commit too, but as a CCP authorised helper i took great enjoyment helping ANY new player, after i left the ISD (over 3 years ago so NDA has expired)  I continued to help new players in the help channel.

So please dont call me a liar, Helping players doesn't mean we have domain over the conversations on the channel mods have that control and given help channels are CCP controlled that means only GM/ISD etc can control them, and given what i know and have seen in terms of their guidelines they will stop any non help channel conversation that takes place in the new bro help.

Next, should any player wish to come into the 'haulers channel' you will see that i am a mod in that channel and known for my help to both new and older players. Feel free to ask for me in that channel (after i get back from holidays in a few weeks)

So if you do wish to call me out, then please ensure you can back it up, because its not in my real life (or in game) nature to lie.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I wish I still made enough money to be able to afford EVE.  great game.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    3 times I've tried to play Eve. Each time was the same.
    I'd stay in the supposedly safe areas, not leave the starting system at all, and try to mine up a load to get some starting cash. 
    Before I'd gotten a full load, somebody in a big ship would suddenly appear and destroy my ship before I could even get moving. 
    Then they'd blow my pod. 
    Reappear at station with my one free clone, and try again. 
    Maybe I'd go to the same location on the idea that the cops had chased the ganker off, or that he went somewhere else for prey. Or I'd go to another spot in an attempt to avoid. Either way, it was a rinse and repeat job as the someone, not always the same person, would popup and blow up both my ship and my pod.

I've never made it past 5 days of frustration and continual death in the areas that are supposed to be 'safe'. 
    So no, I don't even try to play Eve anymore. Three different attempts ending the same way in different years is a pretty good indication that the asshole factor in that game is way beyond playable levels. If you can find a warship to babysit your newb character, more power to you, but I'm not going to waste time and effort on the griefer-fest anymore.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I played a ten day trial.

Never got shot at all. Met a few good people there. Went into null sec on missions too.

The reason I never stayed was it was boring running mining and missions. I think the game itself is more focused on PvP as its main forte so it just didn't interest me much.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I won't touch a CCP product period. They strung us along since 2006 with WoD till 2014 when most companies would have had a finished product out with an expansion all because they couldn't manage a fricken lemonade stand. Then pulled the plug and pretended it never happened. They don't give a crap about their fans.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a difference or at least there was when i was playing.The noob chat in Eve had actual GM's in there but what bothered me is the unreal spam on ISK sales by rmt and those GM's didn't care one bit,they just let it happen.
    I always have a stand to make versus developers that just don't give a crap about anything,my stand is i feel the same way about their products.When you see how little they have improved the game over MANY years you can see how little they care,as long as they are making money off of the fanbois,they are happy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

I played EVE online for years and I found it pretty frustrating and dumb in a lot of ways. The cost of goods resets daily - dumb, the whole warp into a low sec and get blasted by a gang of ships - dumb, Watch my pretty ship fly around 99% of the time, watch it mine 9% of the time or watch it kill pirates 99%  of the time. Then "shit happens" by a gang of people and it's over in 12 seconds 1% of the time- dumb.

My frustration with EVE Online and Astro Empires is what drove me to create my own Sci FI themed MMO Game called "Barons of the Galaxy". I would probably let anyone who currently plays Eve to also come play mine for free when it launches =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Dumb people should be preyed upon. Survival of the fittest. Think of it as a firewall. Nature has been trying to kill dumb and gimp people for a long time and others keep dragging them along. EVE should be no different.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    DrDread74 said:

I played EVE online for years and I found it pretty frustrating and dumb in a lot of ways. The cost of goods resets daily - dumb...

Where's that dancing banana icon when I need it...
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    edited November 2015
    DrDread74 said:

I played EVE online for years and I found it pretty frustrating and dumb in a lot of ways. The cost of goods resets daily - dumb,

Uh... what?  The cost of goods is determined solely by the price players set, with a handful of special case items that don't actually have any other purpose in the game (overseer's effects, etc) and are really just a form of bounty.

There were a few more useless "NPC trade" items that existed mostly to bootstrap the economy in the early years, but they haven't been particularly relevant since, I dunno, 2004?

barasawa said:
    3 times I've tried to play Eve. Each time was the same.
    I'd stay in the supposedly safe areas, not leave the starting system at all, and try to mine up a load to get some starting cash. 
    Before I'd gotten a full load, somebody in a big ship would suddenly appear and destroy my ship before I could even get moving. 
    Then they'd blow my pod. 
    Reappear at station with my one free clone, and try again. 
    Maybe I'd go to the same location on the idea that the cops had chased the ganker off, or that he went somewhere else for prey. Or I'd go to another spot in an attempt to avoid. Either way, it was a rinse and repeat job as the someone, not always the same person, would popup and blow up both my ship and my pod.

Cool story, but entirely fictional.
  • GalaxoGalaxo Member UncommonPosts: 389

I've been fooled many times in Eve.I learned the game and you will do the same if you like the game .

Good luck!

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Wizardry said:
    ...but what bothered me is the unreal spam on ISK sales by rmt and those GM's didn't care one bit,they just let it happen.

6+ years of EVE and I have never, ever, seen ISK spam in-game.

Yes, I know that there is much behind the scenes RMT that CCP (largely) looks the other way for. But in-game spam like you see in F2P MMOs? Not even once.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    You must be new to online games. Welcome.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    kairel182 said:
    DMKano said:
    I dont see how this behavior is unique to EvE
    Its not, but eve encourages it. Most games don't have a way you can exploit people for being dumb. 
    Really?  Friend of mine used to send people gift wrapped boxes for the Christmas event in WoW saying they had a chance to have great items, it only cost 1 gold.  This was back when gold was a lot harder to come by.  Do you know how many people fell for this and he made a few hundred gold scamming until Blizzard made it so you couldn't Cash on Delivery the presents anymore.

You fail to realize how fucking dumb people are.
    Like if that was something new. People on WoW are mentally challenged and Wow is so simple so even 10year old kid can play it. So not that much stress to scam them :P

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• YakutoYakuto Member UncommonPosts: 61
    laxie said:
    I can't say this is my experience with EVE.

I found the game to be quite helpful and welcoming towards new players overall. While CCP encourages conflict and certain abusive behaviour between players, scamming newbies is a big nono. It is one of the few things that are explicitly disallowed in their policies (which says a lot considering they allow most things).

Even in null-sec, I found most places to be quite fair. I'd say majority of veteran players are interested in fighting other veteran players and corporations (much more than fighting newbies). In most null-sec systems I was left to fly through and mine, even though people were around and could easily kill me.

You get your fair share of jerks as in any other game. I personally never felt unwelcome.

The main reason I didn't stick around was the fact that much of the endgame revolves around big corporations. I like to play with smaller groups of friends and feel EVE is not about that kind of gameplay in the end.
    I played eve for 5 or 6 years off and on, and honestly endgame (i had 60+ million skill points) really boils down to a numbers game. Bigger alliances stomp smaller ones, and the losses to those smaller corps are just ridiculous some times. lol We lost our space ahhhh 4 or 5 times, and with each loss, you loose some of your core members to anger, or to the larger corps that just rofflestomped you. (they all looked for the better players in each fight, and there would always be some people who were looking to get into the good minority.) If you are in the big group minority, then the game isn't bad, but if you are not, you are just the one getting walked on. No level of effort gets past that either. I played from beta till a few years ago, so Ive been all over the verse. I actually ran 2 accounts at once while mining to be productive, so hehe i know all about the losses in eve. It was just alot of time that in the end usually amounted in getting ur ass kicked and having to "sorta" start over somewhere else till it happened again.

I think the final straw that destroyed my alliance/corp was about 50-150 billion in losses in a week or two? Whole thing just pretty much fell apart. lol