Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much longer i wonder

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
edited October 2015 in Blade & Soul
hmmm when is this game coming out i wonder, not wanting to burn out playing wildstar, id rather save my sanity waiting for this game to come out and then dump my time into this game as opposed to wildstar.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Most likely it'll come out during first half of 2016.

Just play any game you want now. If you start the waiting game there's always the next game that promises more around the corner.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Not soon enough
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Vaam77Vaam77 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    you can try at Chinese server
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Expect late Jan to Feb 2016. The last beta even ends mid Dec. so assuming all goes well as it has been, it should only take a short time to prepare for the launch. They even recently moved up the time to open the EU server so that is a good sign that things are moving along pretty quickly. They will not have any open beta either so hopefully they will announce the release date in Dec. after the last beta. 
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    ok cool.  well its the holidays so time could fly by

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    This game could launch today if they wanted, how does a 4 year old game require a beta at all?  how does a 4 year old game require a beta of 3-4 months?

Answer: To milk money out of people who are impatient.  The fact people pay it is the reason other companies will do it in the future.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    scorpex-x said:
    This game could launch today if they wanted, how does a 4 year old game require a beta at all?  how does a 4 year old game require a beta of 3-4 months?

Answer: To milk money out of people who are impatient.  The fact people pay it is the reason other companies will do it in the future.
    Answer: Things like translations, new servers and new cash shop mechanics require testing.
    scorpex-x said:

i know i remember hearing about this game it seems like eons ago.  so funny how this game was groundbreaking all those years ago.  well, i've waited this long, wanted to play the english version, so i guess ill wait another quarter.

ive played chinese and japanese versions of games but man its no fun if you can't read anything beyond basic stuff.  and chatting with ppl is tough as well so the game isn't as fun if its not in english for me.  

• EquiNoxyEquiNoxy Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited October 2015
    scorpex-x said:

They are testing the servers not the game + they've made several changes to the game ^^
  • TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    edited October 2015
    scorpex-x said:

I had that opinion first too, but when i got in the Tech Alpha 2, i realized that there was more to localization than just butchering the story (some essential parts were left out to not offend western audiences).

For instance, there's still some issues with keybinds which have not been resolved yet (binding keys on AZERTY-keyboards (for France and Belgium)). There's also an issue where you can't bind a key when it's used with a modifier for another skill or action (you can't rebind Q if you don't rebind the action bound to shift-Q). Etc. etc.

As far milking money, you're 100% right (but i still got suckered into buying a Master pack)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Tenkousei said:
    scorpex-x said:

I had that opinion first too, but when i got in the Tech Alpha 2, i realized that there was more to localization than just butchering the story (some essential parts were left out to not offend western audiences).

For instance, there's still some issues with keybinds which have not been resolved yet (binding keys on AZERTY-keyboards (for France and Belgium)). There's also an issue where you can't bind a key when it's used with a modifier for another skill or action (you can't rebind Q if you don't rebind the action bound to shift-Q). Etc. etc.

As far milking money, you're 100% right (but i still got suckered into buying a Master pack)

What sort of parts were left out, in your opinion, to not be offensive to western audiences?  

I am a sucker for kung fu/swordplay games, so I am hoping this one will scratch that itch for at least a while....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    edited October 2015
    Tenkousei said:
    scorpex-x said:

What sort of parts were left out, in your opinion, to not be offensive to western audiences?  

I am a sucker for kung fu/swordplay games, so I am hoping this one will scratch that itch for at least a while....

There's a part in the original story with a clan that is reluctant to women leading the clan, that part has been left out and was completely modified according to some people who've played K-BnS in such a way that this part of the story makes little sense. I haven't digged in the story too much because i was afraid to read to many spoilers.

Another funny one: there's an achievement for swimming for five minutes which used to give you te title "wet", that one has been renamed to "swimming expert" for obvious reasons.

Iirc we're getting a modified Chinese client in which women have been uhm ... de-objectified a bit.

There's more, but i can't seem to find the thread back on the official Alpha forums. It mostly envolves changes to adapt for western (imho "American") morals.

The thing that really annoys me though, is the horrendous English voice acting. I'll check the French VA when it's available to see if that one's any better. Admittedly, i'd even pay for the original K-voices.

Edit: a few interesting quotes from Dev LastWriterStanding:

As for the content in question: to the best of my knowledge, no content has been removed from the game in regards to localization.  The devs give us the files, we work with them.  Nothing has been taken out wholesale as far as I'm aware.  As for the writing itself, we did rearrange certain aspects of the story to fit the narrative.  For example, there are plot elements introduced at one point in the original version which we moved to a different time in the story, or expanded upon during NPC conversations.  The main campaign story has been largely unchanged in terms of overall content (particularly because we didn't have any capacity to edit or change cutscenes, so we had to work in predetermined directions), though the fine details of presentation have been changed along the way.

Other parts of the narrative may have been altered to better handle the overall flow of the story.

Keeping the overall theme and flavor of the game has always been very important to us.  There have been compromises made along the way to facilitate a broader audience who may not necessarily be as knowledgeable with the Wuxia genre as other longtime fans, but we've done our best to try and keep things as close to source as was viable.  Many of the writers on the writing/localization team were Wuxia and/or anime fans, which helps a lot when it comes to working from non-Western material.  We did our level best to keep as much of the original flavor of the setting as possible, though it does always strike me as a little funny since there was a ton of content in the original EN1 that was far from having much to do with the setting.
    Source: https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139406-open-discussion-with-english-localization/ (only available if registered for Tech Alpha or beyond)

Post edited by Tenkousei on
    ugh, i would have wanted the original korean version just with properly translated text.  i dont want them to de-sensitize or alter how the game is originally.  i know everywhere you go there are little miss pissy pants who cry and scream and are sensitive to everything, but i'd rather they leave it be.

i mean, years ago, China banned a WoW expansion cuz it had skeletons and bones in it.  their government was saying it would lead to the ruin of their country or some stupid b.s. about how it would destroy young people's minds if they saw those bones.  quite stupid.  well anyways, id rather they just give us the unaltered version haha. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Tenkousei said:
    Tenkousei said:
    scorpex-x said:

There's a part in the original story with a clan that is reluctant to women leading the clan, that part has been left out and was completely modified according to some people who've played K-BnS in such a way that this part of the story makes little sense. I haven't digged in the story too much because i was afraid to read to many spoilers.

Another funny one: there's an achievement for swimming for five minutes which used to give you te title "wet", that one has been renamed to "swimming expert" for obvious reasons.

Iirc we're getting a modified Chinese client in which women have been uhm ... de-objectified a bit.

There's more, but i can't seem to find the thread back on the official Alpha forums. It mostly envolves changes to adapt for western (imho "American") morals.

The thing that really annoys me though, is the horrendous English voice acting. I'll check the French VA when it's available to see if that one's any better. Admittedly, i'd even pay for the original K-voices.

Edit: a few interesting quotes from Dev LastWriterStanding:

As for the content in question: to the best of my knowledge, no content has been removed from the game in regards to localization.  The devs give us the files, we work with them.  Nothing has been taken out wholesale as far as I'm aware.  As for the writing itself, we did rearrange certain aspects of the story to fit the narrative.  For example, there are plot elements introduced at one point in the original version which we moved to a different time in the story, or expanded upon during NPC conversations.  The main campaign story has been largely unchanged in terms of overall content (particularly because we didn't have any capacity to edit or change cutscenes, so we had to work in predetermined directions), though the fine details of presentation have been changed along the way.

Other parts of the narrative may have been altered to better handle the overall flow of the story.

Keeping the overall theme and flavor of the game has always been very important to us.  There have been compromises made along the way to facilitate a broader audience who may not necessarily be as knowledgeable with the Wuxia genre as other longtime fans, but we've done our best to try and keep things as close to source as was viable.  Many of the writers on the writing/localization team were Wuxia and/or anime fans, which helps a lot when it comes to working from non-Western material.  We did our level best to keep as much of the original flavor of the setting as possible, though it does always strike me as a little funny since there was a ton of content in the original EN1 that was far from having much to do with the setting.
    Source: https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139406-open-discussion-with-english-localization/ (only available if registered for Tech Alpha or beyond)

Thank you!!  Well covered.   I can understand some of that (folks being new to wuxia), but that sort of boiler plate excuse can try to cover up a multitude of changes.   I've watched enough old and new school action to be pretty comfortable with subtitles, so I hope that the voice sets for different regions will be available.  But if they do to much editing, that may not wash.   Maybe the French version will be better.   Though it does harken back to the old Hong Kong sword and kungfu films with dubbing that sounded like it was done by hungover sailors on shore leave.

Hey, I played the Witchers in the original Polish.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    It would have been ready 2 years ago if they started working on it after they acquired the game, but instead they left it in their basement to make way for Wildstar.
    yeah.  i can already tell from the vids, the environments are a bit dated looking already.  the character models are fine though.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I played the closed beta the last event and the game looks and plays amazing. No worry about it being dated.
    ok cool.  i was worried, cuz i played archeage when it made it to the u.s. and the character models were ok (though boxy) and the environments were definitely on the boxy side.  

though not sure if this is just how asian games are nowadays? i felt aion to be cutting edge, and ffxiv as well though.