Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria News - Identity, Disguises, and Reputation

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion
imageChronicles of Elyria News - Identity, Disguises, and Reputation - Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

By connecting your deeds to character's identity, by giving you the ability to choose how/when to be recognized, and by creating a unique system where your reputation proceeds you, Chronicles of Elyria reminds you that your actions matter.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KeroniteKeronite Member UncommonPosts: 3
    a very promising game
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Those are some very nice mechanics. I like the fact you can try to impersonate someone else by studying them. Or that you can try to have a double life bye creating two identities.
  • XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Rhaegys said:
    Those are some very nice mechanics. I like the fact you can try to impersonate someone else by studying them. Or that you can try to have a double life bye creating two identities.
    Enter: Cheating spouses. =) It does look like there's some crazy things that can become of these mechanics.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Chronicles of Elyria is so much like Revival in so many respects. Add human dungeon masters for enhancement of immersion, storytelling and role-playing like Revival and I will no longer be sure which one I want to play more. I am not the only one with this dilemma -> https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/997/why-should-i-play-revival-instead-of
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Yanocchi said:
    Chronicles of Elyria is so much like Revival in so many respects. Add human dungeon masters for enhancement of immersion, storytelling and role-playing like Revival and I will no longer be sure which one I want to play more. I am not the only one with this dilemma -> https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/997/why-should-i-play-revival-instead-of
    both games show a lot of promising stuff, question here is, can they deliver? due to how things been going lately with mmorpgs, I only believe in what I can get my hands on, test, and be sure that it works as promised.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Add open PvP. What's the "end game" here?

Jail:
    For how long?
    Chance of capture and actually getting jailed with your friends around?
    Escape?

Or is this just more proof that some people still live under rocks?

Once upon a time....

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    As usual more cool information coming out.

Something not mentioned in detail,not really a problem however is what actual benefits you might get from reputation.Are there both positive and negative benefits from reputation.

I ask because i see a possible exploit if there is,yes my mind is always on lol.Example make two players and make one a criminal and one a positive influence and then use disguises/reputation from both when needed.

As to DM's don't like that idea at all because it introduces some shallow ideas in a game.One example is seen in that other new game,i think is called swords of the coast.A game has assets and those assets become apparent after a very short time,like maybe a month,well i don't want to be bored to death by some system where a DM is just shifting around those assets/traps mobs to make the game look different or changing.Simply it won't to at least me look any different at all,it becomes more a case of ...ok i know there might be a trap anywhere so i need to check every last pixel,i don't want to be playing a game of traps and movable secrets,it ends up looking real fake.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VictoriaRachelVictoriaRachel Member UncommonPosts: 79

Jail:
    For how long?
    Escape?

The jail concept is quite intereting, as your character has a life span in this game rather than making you sit in the prison for x period of time that time is taken off your lifespan instead. So there are some serious penalties for getting caught, but you don't end up sat bored out of your mind you can keep playing. I think it is interesting that the better you are at the more challenging parts of game the longer you live, and therefore the less you pay overall. I think it really encourages people to think about their crimes and not get caught!
    Author of the Elyria Echo. Follow us here @ElyriaEcho.
    Wizardry said:

As to DM's don't like that idea at all because it introduces some shallow ideas in a game.One example is seen in that other new game,i think is called swords of the coast.A game has assets and those assets become apparent after a very short time,like maybe a month,well i don't want to be bored to death by some system where a DM is just shifting around those assets/traps mobs to make the game look different or changing.Simply it won't to at least me look any different at all,it becomes more a case of ...ok i know there might be a trap anywhere so i need to check every last pixel,i don't want to be playing a game of traps and movable secrets,it ends up looking real fake.

DM capabilities in Sword Coast Legends are very limited. DM toolset in Neverwinter Nights is a lot more versatile and advanced, but even that wouldn't be sufficient for the needs of an MMO with thousands of players on a server. MMO would require a lot more game systems interacting with DM toolsets, an evolution from NWN DM client, just what Revival designers are planning to do.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited November 2015

Jail:
    For how long?
    Escape?

The jail concept is quite intereting, as your character has a life span in this game rather than making you sit in the prison for x period of time that time is taken off your lifespan instead. So there are some serious penalties for getting caught, but you don't end up sat bored out of your mind you can keep playing. I think it is interesting that the better you are at the more challenging parts of game the longer you live, and therefore the less you pay overall. I think it really encourages people to think about their crimes and not get caught!
    Really? How's that Life Span Punishment work?

I've been around the MMO scene for many years. Since UO's development. And I've seen all this sort of thing (as far as open PvP and lack of any real punishment) before. And combine that with funding, and then revenues.
    What you end up with is a game with little support both on the front and especially after it's played for a short while.

These sorts of ideals end up being released with not enough funding, and short on the promises. Then they can't afford to finish the game like players expect for their gaming world.
    This is Shadowbane or Darkfall at best.

Unless they bite the bullet and actually put in place a real punishment for PKing (outside of warfare and other forms of sanctioned PvP).

Once upon a time....

• CobraLord1CobraLord1 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Sounds great
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Must say, i really like the Art of the Oriental looking one, final a Game that gives a great Oriental design, its like the western mmorpg developers are afraid of anything evolving around Arabic mythology or custom, despite it being the grand forefathers of etiquette and design. Couldent even call a guild "Jihad" in WoW in 2008, despite thousands of guild names running around calling themselves, templar knights and Crusaders! and whatnot, shows the lack of understanding of the culture.
    edited November 2015
    Really? How's that Life Span Punishment work?
    I've been around the MMO scene for many years. Since UO's development. And I've seen all this sort of thing (as far as open PvP and lack of any real punishment) before. And combine that with funding, and then revenues.
    What you end up with is a game with little support both on the front and especially after it's played for a short while.

These sorts of ideals end up being released with not enough funding, and short on the promises. Then they can't afford to finish the game like players expect for their gaming world.
    This is Shadowbane or Darkfall at best.

Unless they bite the bullet and actually put in place a real punishment for PKing (outside of warfare and other forms of sanctioned PvP).
    In Chronicles of Elyria the rather important thing to know is that characters age and then eventually perma-die. At that point you have to start a new character.

Important note before I carry on is that you do not loose everything. You can have heirs, inheritance, and importantly the soul of your previous character can be reused which gives skill ramps. Skill ramps means any skills you learnt in your last life will be quicker to learn this time allowing you to get to an over all higher level.

Back to the point your lifespan is not just dictated by your age but how you have lived your life, if you die a lot your lifespan overall will be lower if you get caught for serious crimes your life span over all ill be lower.

As in this game rather than paying a subscription you pay per life (typically 6-12 months depending on how much you die/get caught committing crimes etc.) you want that life to be as long as possible. That means you do not want to get caught for murder as that actually costs you money! I have not really seen a game do that before. Of course if you plan your murders get involved in the story, or get involved in the more legitimate aspects of PvP then you are going to avoid all those negatives and add to the world. If you run through town killing everyone... well that is going to hurt your wallet.

I actually summarised a post by the developers on Trolls and how it is counteracted by the game system over on my blog about the game (http://elyriaecho.com/2015/10/21/chat-log-trolling/)

Edit: Goodness this site hates line breaks!
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    And what is that for? The purpose? What are the consequences?
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Continues to deeply impress with the depth that these people have gone to making a game that is believable. I love immersion and believe it's it's lacking in so many mmo's, this game's systems are creating a world that makes sense, is believable, I look forward every week to learning more about it and they haven't disappointed yet - not once! They really are putting to shame the other "developers", just a few of the really truly innovative systems these people are planning, just a few! are so much more then we've seen by the big-money, big-name big-companies and the big-name individuals that have a almost cult following around them. May the game-gods shine on them and bring them every deserved success!
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554

Jail:
    For how long?
    Escape?

The issue with this is that descendants get boosts with skills. Think about it. Lose the fan filter and really think about the game. It has major holes in logic yet Soulbound Studios is only listening to the praise being offered any critical comments are ignored or belittled.
  • FujieFujie Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Game is sounding great, keep the information coming!  Hope they can do all they want with it, as there are few games I'm looking forward to in the future.  But this one definitely has my attention, and I'll gladly support in hopes of a decent game. 
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    saker said:
    Continues to deeply impress with the depth that these people have gone to making a game that is believable. I love immersion and believe it's it's lacking in so many mmo's, this game's systems are creating a world that makes sense, is believable, I look forward every week to learning more about it and they haven't disappointed yet - not once! They really are putting to shame the other "developers", just a few of the really truly innovative systems these people are planning, just a few! are so much more then we've seen by the big-money, big-name big-companies and the big-name individuals that have a almost cult following around them. May the game-gods shine on them and bring them every deserved success!
    You do realize this is merely them thinking outloud about stuff?
    Selzyr said:
    Yanocchi said:
    both games show a lot of promising stuff, question here is, can they deliver? due to how things been going lately with mmorpgs, I only believe in what I can get my hands on, test, and be sure that it works as promised.

It would be cool if indie companies with limited budgets and resources could help each other a bit by exchanging some assets like scripts, code for some game systems, 3D objects, textures and sounds. :p

edited November 2015
    The issue with this is that descendants get boosts with skills. Think about it. Lose the fan filter and really think about the game. It has major holes in logic yet Soulbound Studios is only listening to the praise being offered any critical comments are ignored or belittled.
    Boosts back to where they were, not beyond. And where they were is a place that is lower than everyone else because they died sooner. I am not sure where the hole in the logic is at that point.

I am not saying everything is the game is all roses. There have been several things I have had concerns about some adressed, some hopefully addressed in time others that I am still not sure about. The prison system for instance, as I say it is an interesting system. However, they have also promised this huge open world, with no fast travel etc. Both great, but how will they actually work together? Are you actually going to be able to catch anyone? So I do think there are things that might need work, and certainly play testing. I am not sure I see the issue you are pointing out though.
  • SerylliousSeryllious Member UncommonPosts: 43

Jail:
    For how long?
    Escape?

Actually - that's just not true. They completely revamped the way inventories work because of fan feedback. Caspian has spent hours - MANY HOURS - talking to player concerns. In fact, there is about 3 hours of actual "Concern" Q&A up on YouTube; and thousands of lines of chat with Caspian discussing alternative ideas to systems to correct the "Skill Ramp" exploit. I can confirm - Caspian is aware of the Skill Ramp exploit, the idea of suicide and other things. He and I've discussed these exploits to death, and he is working up a solution for it. The game - though well along - is still in the early stages of development. You can't be seriously drawing any kind of serious conclusion here with what limited research you've used to render your judgement.
    Yanocchi said:
    Selzyr said:
    Yanocchi said:

It would be cool if indie companies with limited budgets and resources could help each other a bit by exchanging some assets like scripts, code for some game systems, 3D objects, textures and sounds. :p

They do!
    edited November 2015

Jail:
    For how long?
    Escape?

Also, the Skill Ramp exploit, as you mention it, is working as intended. If you followed the game at all, and actually read the design journals - you'd know that over time, in an effort to combat the EVE effect, new players will be offered older souls with multiple lives that helps them become more competitive with older players. There is another Skill Ramp exploit that is being addressed. It is being looked at with utmost scrutiny.
  • SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    edited November 2015
    When can I throw my money at you and get access to this game?!!!
    In time, my friend. For now, make sure to follow us on Facebook to get all the updates. When we start crowdfunding, we'll let you know :)

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I really don't think the developers really understand how much money some people dump into a game just to be an asshat.   You can put all the systems you want into a game, but they will be completely ignored by such. 

On the other hand, casual players will end up balking at starting over again even if it is promised to be easier for subsequent lives.

Guess we will have to wait and see how this all works out.