Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now i see why people quit this game.

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
edited October 2015 in EVE Online
I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    EVE is actually full of super helpfull people. You just have to figure out who they are...
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    DMKano said:
    I dont see how this behavior is unique to EvE
    Its not, but eve encourages it. Most games don't have a way you can exploit people for being dumb. 
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

hfztt said:
    EVE is actually full of super helpfull people. You just have to figure out who they are...
    Yep I am sure. 
  • McLeetMcLeet Member UncommonPosts: 18
    There will be plenty of games that you are allowed to exploit peoples stupidity. Eve is the extreme end in that pretty much anything goes but two games that originally come to mind for me are WoW with its raids and Runescape with its luring.

On WoW, if you join a group in a raid with the raid leader on master looter, well, tough luck when that leader decides that all of the loot goes to him or his friends. The GMs will just say there isn't anything that they can do and its our fault for being in a group with master looters. On Runescape, luring is basically allowed. You trick people, steal their stuff, developers don't care. In these games, I see them in worse light because realistically, this behavior shouldn't be allowed as it isn't in line with the rest of the game. 

EVEs is good however, in that it is a genuine part of the economy and game itself. You should go into that game knowing that there are people wanting to trick/scam/fool you for all of your hard earned ISK. It mimics real life in a sense and I think EVE is a great game because of that. The people quitting the game are just the ones who simply cannot handle EVE.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I can't say this is my experience with EVE.

I found the game to be quite helpful and welcoming towards new players overall. While CCP encourages conflict and certain abusive behaviour between players, scamming newbies is a big nono. It is one of the few things that are explicitly disallowed in their policies (which says a lot considering they allow most things).

Even in null-sec, I found most places to be quite fair. I'd say majority of veteran players are interested in fighting other veteran players and corporations (much more than fighting newbies). In most null-sec systems I was left to fly through and mine, even though people were around and could easily kill me.

You get your fair share of jerks as in any other game. I personally never felt unwelcome.

The main reason I didn't stick around was the fact that much of the endgame revolves around big corporations. I like to play with smaller groups of friends and feel EVE is not about that kind of gameplay in the end.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    laxie said:
    The main reason I didn't stick around was the fact that much of the endgame revolves around big corporations. I like to play with smaller groups of friends and feel EVE is not about that kind of gameplay in the end.
    I recomend fining a small Wormhole based corp. You can live a life there with a fairly small (10-25) group if you play smart and have a lot of fun.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    laxie said:
     I like to play with smaller groups of friends and feel EVE is not about that kind of gameplay in the end.
    This is so far from true, we had a group of 6 and mostly on at one time was 4 blockading our dead end system and route out to high sec every day almost. They did a fantastic job on keeping peoples nerves all over the place and got many kills between them all.

They had great fun and came into our system often and caused havoc with even just two of them for our site runners etc.

Get 4 guys together that like pvp and play often together learning the game and its fun weaknesses for others and you can have a ball.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 

I quit Eve Online because it gave me a rash.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    laxie said:
    There is no end game :)
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Arn´t you the cute one... 

While scamming is a much safer line of work in EvE than most other games... It is about as bad no matter where you go. The sharks dine on the guppies. 

That being said... In EvE it can be hilariously expensive to be a dumb guppie. Especially if you have deep pockets.

This have been a good conversation

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    If any new player comes to the game I would suggest Eve University to start with.  For years they have specialized in helping new players. Once you learn the ropes on how to actually play the game it becomes really addictive.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Lateris said:
    If any new player comes to the game I would suggest Eve University to start with.  For years they have specialized in helping new players. Once you learn the ropes on how to actually play the game it becomes really addictive.  
    They even have a helpful wiki that details most major scams and how to avoid them.  (or perform them I suppose) =)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited November 2015
    The notion that there are scam "victims" in Eve is always really amusing.

With a few rare exceptions, and most of them long cons against entire organizations, pretty much every basic scam in Eve is an exercise in convincing the "victim" that they're getting an impossible, too-good-to-be-true deal from you, the sucker.

Right up until the moment they figure out what actually happened, they believed that they were exploiting the "scammer's" naivete for their own benefit.  They were fully willing to take advantage of this apparent knowledge gap at someone else's expense...  yet, we're supposed to pretend like they were some hapless passerby who was cruelly taken advantage of by the big old space meanie.  

The main difference between Eve scammers and their "victims" is that the scammer is honest about what it is they are actually doing. 
    Minuszer0 said:

With a few rare exceptions, and most of them long cons against entire organizations, pretty much every basic scam in Eve is an exercise in convincing the "victim" that they're getting an impossible, too-good-to-be-true deal from you, the sucker.

Right up until the moment they figure out what actually happened, they believed that they were exploiting the "scammer's" naivete for their own benefit.  They were fully willing to take advantage of this apparent knowledge gap at someone else's expense...  yet, we're supposed to pretend like they were some hapless passerby who was cruelly taken advantage of by the big old space meanie.  

The main difference between Eve scammers and their "victims" is that the scammer is honest about what it is they are actually doing. 
    It is funny, curious and sad to see how twisted, ill and falacious someone's thinking can be...
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited November 2015
    Minuszer0 said:

Not always. I don't play MMOs to make money ingame or in rmt terms, and I played EvE just because I like to Mine and do some Industry on small scale.... but even I got scammed once just because they saw a good guy with no selfish intent nor desire for selfish intent and took advantage of my lack of worldly street sense. I learned some things that day.

Scammers come in all flavors. Don't even try to make them look noble or innocent around me lol. They know what they're doing. They chose their path. Being honest about being a Scammer doesn't make it any less Selfish or Objectionable. I'm not defending the Victims that were themselves trying to Scam, just pointing out that not all Victims are opportunists.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Minuszer0 said:

Right up until the moment they figure out what actually happened, they believed that they were exploiting the "scammer's" naivete for their own benefit.  They were fully willing to take advantage of this apparent knowledge gap at someone else's expense...  yet, we're supposed to pretend like they were , ome hapless passerby who was cruelly taken advantage of by the big old space meanie.  

Not always. I don't play MMOs to make money ingame or in rmt terms, and I played EvE just because I like to Mine and do some Industry on small scale.... but even I got scammed once just because they saw a good guy with no selfish intent nor desire for selfish intent and took advantage of my lack of worldly street sense. I learned some things that day.

Scammers come in all flavors. Don't even try to make them look noble or innocent around me lol. They know what they're doing. They chose their path. Being honest about being a Scammer doesn't make it any less Selfish or Objectionable. I'm not defending the Victims that were themselves trying to Scam, just pointing out that not all Victims are opportunists.
    I have to agree, while someone trying to beat the ISK doubler is trying to be opportunistic, standard market scammers that list things for insane prices hoping the victim are the only ones at fault.

I lost about 750M buying a T1 Hauler thinking that was the going price and not noticing the extra zeroes.

Last night I was looking to buy a ship mod in null and saw one for sale at around 1M ISK, a fair price, yet the screen was telling me the price was 733335% above market.  I looked closer, and yep, extra zeros, almost paid a billion isk for that item.

So sure, some market scams are due to victims greed, but in EVE some of them aren't

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Left Eve Online because everything flows too slow.
    The rate you learn things, the speed you travel the map, the money you make, the skills development, the combat, the questing.... everything.
    Everyone's willing to help, but as a beginner, you are very alone trying to do complicated things and the hours are passing. I know about the 'play with friends' or 'find a nice corporation' tips, but that is only a tool to overcome the situations listed above, it won't change that

You logout and your character is almost the same when you logged on, nothing was really improved and you wasted a lot of time on useless tasks, and time is a precious thing.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Ive heard Goonswarm are very helpful to new folks.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Lunnian said:
    Left Eve Online because everything flows too slow.
    The rate you learn things, the speed you travel the map, the money you make, the skills development, the combat, the questing.... everything.
    Everyone's willing to help, but as a beginner, you are very alone trying to do complicated things and the hours are passing. I know about the 'play with friends' or 'find a nice corporation' tips, but that is only a tool to overcome the situations listed above, it won't change that

You logout and your character is almost the same when you logged on, nothing was really improved and you wasted a lot of time on useless tasks, and time is a precious thing.
    I do not know when you tried the game out last time but I made a trial account recently and new characters are extremely powerful.

The trial lasts full 30 days, skill requirements were dramatically lowered, you start with more than generous skill set and if you know your ways, you will be swimming in ISK.

My trial still lasts so hit me a PM if you want to dwelve into a game again.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Trial was 14 days I think when I tried it....I just couldn't get into the game....Sitting in a ship point and clicking just isn't fun to me.....What's funny is when my trial was ending I told other players to feel free to come and kill me and every single one thought it was a trap....No one came near and i couldn't have killed a day 1 newbie.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    they say its encouraged to troll in the game,but there are guilds you can join for new players.
    i never got into the game,i am very weary of mmo`s these days!
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Elsabolts said:

I can vouch for the truth of this statement.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Cyrael said:
    Elsabolts said:

I can vouch for the truth of this statement.
    Yes they definitely have a very unique way of 'taking care' of people in Eve, new players to Eve often find it an 'unforgetable' experience.
    edited November 2015
    Kyleran said:
    I have to agree, while someone trying to beat the ISK doubler is trying to be opportunistic, standard market scammers that list things for insane prices hoping the victim are the only ones at fault.

I lost about 750M buying a T1 Hauler thinking that was the going price and not noticing the extra zeroes.

Last night I was looking to buy a ship mod in null and saw one for sale at around 1M ISK, a fair price, yet the screen was telling me the price was 733335% above market.  I looked closer, and yep, extra zeros, almost paid a billion isk for that item.

So sure, some market scams are due to victims greed, but in EVE some of them aren't

That's not a scam.  That's just you failing to pay attention to the pricetag.  It is not purporting to be priced at anything other than what it is priced. 

You did not see "one for sale at around 1M ISK".  You saw one for sale at around 1 billion ISK and mistakenly believed it was for sale at around 1M ISK.

I prolly never got mine ganked though, because i always sat next to my miners with a battleship. So like the mentally insane people that they are, with the retard bully mentality, they just go pick on some one else who wont call them names, and resist them with a battleship. 

Fairly unlikely.  A couple of catalysts can gank anything other than a procurer/skiff faster than a battleship could even get a lock.  As deterrents go, that's pretty ineffective.  

More likely is that you weren't ganked because it's not nearly as common as carebears like to pretend in whiny forum posts.