Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest - The Planes of Hate and Fear Return in The Broken Mirror

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion
EverQuest - The Planes of Hate and Fear Return in The Broken Mirror - Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

The Broken Mirror, the 22nd (!) expansion for the original EverQuest, will launch on Wednesday, November 18. The Daybreak developers recently demoed the expansion during a livestream event, and we’re recapping it all for those who missed it.  

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I quit when it became apparent EQ is nothing but a boxer haven. I don't mean 2 accounts, I mean 4+, and there are some extreme examples of people boxxing 18+ accounts. Pointless trying to play with just one account.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    I quit when it became apparent EQ is nothing but a boxer haven. I don't mean 2 accounts, I mean 4+, and there are some extreme examples of people boxxing 18+ accounts. Pointless trying to play with just one account.
    6 accounts here - and yes I boxed, because that was the target audience. EQ1 is meant to be boxed nowdays - that's the whole point.
    Spending $90 a month to play one MMO all by yourself. That never struck you as... Odd?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Dreamo84 said:
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    6 accounts here - and yes I boxed, because that was the target audience. EQ1 is meant to be boxed nowdays - that's the whole point.
    Spending $90 a month to play one MMO all by yourself. That never struck you as... Odd?
    I 3 box and only pay $15 a month. Willing to bet he had a similar situation.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited October 2015
    Box? Time for a model and gfx upgrade, every other classic mmo has done it. I'd come back and play if they did...
    Box? Time for a model and gfx upgrade, every other classic mmo has done it. I'd come back and play if they did...
    They have upgraded already. Years ago

• Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Dreamo84 said:
    Shadows of Luclin expansion LOL
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Dreamo84 said:
    The mobs have been greatly upgraded graphics wise, but the world itself is still Minecraft, give the world some serious love, not just a touch up via various expansions, a serious graphical upgrade. As for boxing being the only way forward, a symptom of not enough players able/willing to group, ppl preferring to solo due to time issues, programs making it easier to box and much more viable. Personally I see no point in playing any MMO while boxing, if I want to be top dog, if I want to go places or see things that are the pinnacle of a game I go and play such games as The Witcher series or similar, but it's the boxers cash it's up to them how they spend it and their time.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    Dumbest thing you've ever said. It's meant to have a $240 expansion buy in for six accounts? gtfo
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    I think you've lost your mind. That's absurd.
    Even if everyone does it, still seems insane. Especially when the advantage is getting to play by yourself. And in an older game like EQ with decidedly boring combat, what fun are you getting out of it? and Anyone else find it ironic that he's mad about having to buy expansions and pay a sub when that was originally the only way you could even play EQ?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    DMKano said:

DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    Dumbest thing you've ever said. It's meant to have a $240 expansion buy in for six accounts? gtfo
    Which is why I stopped playing EQ1 years ago when SoE killed expansions being able to be bought with station cash, now you HAVE to buy an expansion for real money.

Before I had 3 accounts that were subbed and each one was getting monthly cash accruals - so I would buy expansions with station cash , but then they changed it to where it couldn't be done.

That's when I stopped playing and moved to Project 1999

Go log into EQ1 today - talk to active players - you'll see that boxing is pretty much the NORM - almost everyone boxes at least 2-3 accounts.
    You can also listen to people bitch about it on general chat every day. Hence the new server coming up with no boxing allowed by December and people I've talked to on Lockjaw are very, very excited about it as it also gets discussed daily on general chat.

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Dreamo84 said:
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    I have 15 accounts and pay nothing the plat you earn from loot you buy kronos with gives you 30 days each. If you could buy an expansion with kronos I would pay nothing to play. Haven't paid a sub price since kronos were put into the game.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    DMKano said:
    22 expansions later - the classic progression servers are still the most popular - and on those servers these new expansions don't even matter.
    This isn't true at all, blue servers far outnumber classic servers. There are 14 blue servers and only 2 classic servers.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited November 2015
    Dreamo84 said:
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    Welcome to the modern world of Massively Single Player Online Games, where people want to play among others (so they can show off), but not with other people.

Yep. We live in a time where boxing multiple accounts to play by one's self is preferable to actually playing with others.

And yet some will tell you this genre hasn't fallen greatly from what it once was.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2015
    DMKano said:
    Golelorn said:
    For real? Are you that Naive? 

That's exactly what these games target. SOE learned that trick years prior. SWG was designed to be multiboxed with 1 character limit per galaxy per account. Everyone did it. It was expected. This is the exact reason I quit Anarchy Online. As the population began to decline, Funcom shifted it's development strategy towards remonetizing (exploiting?) the current loyal player base. It was almost impossible to play the game and experience it fully without at least a 2nd account.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Pratt2112 said:
    Welcome to the modern world of Massively Single Player Online Games, where people want to play among others...
    People have ALWAYS played MMOs this way. It is a pattern of behavior common to many people seeking social interaction on one level or another. You can see it among club goers, bar patrons, youth groups, and anywhere else that allows for passive interaction. Online games, cellphones and other digital channels have opened the door to allow those hesitant to engage or stay engaged to do so. This is because they can control how long it takes to interact and if they want to interact at all. 

MMOs allow you to choose your level of engagement with others. Joining others is often assisted by some for of matchmaking or fast travel, and leaving a group is as simple as hitting the Recall button. Forums are no different. Some passively read these forums. It may be for info, or entertainment or just to be part of the group. Others engage. Some engage a LOT. When you are interested in engaging, you enter the conversation. When you're done, you can stop responding or close out the browser. Complete control over the level of engagement. Is there something wrong with someone that jsut reads the forum and doesn't post? Of course not. 

But it's also worth noting that just because someone is playing alone in one MMO or one aspect of an MMO, that does not necessarily mean they do not interact in other MMOs or other areas of that MMO. This has a lot to do with the communities and social circles in different areas as well as the type of entertainment or activities there. 

If you get a chance, check out Sherry Turkle's book "Alone Together". It explains a lot of how we got to where we are, and the good and bad of it. If can handle mention of World of Warcraft in a positive light (some here can't), then also check out "Alone Together?" by Nick Yee, Nicolas Ducheneaut, and others. The latter a much shorter read and much more MMO-focused. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited November 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    DMKano said:
    22 expansions later - the classic progression servers are still the most popular - and on those servers these new expansions don't even matter.
    This isn't true at all, blue servers far outnumber classic servers. There are 14 blue servers and only 2 classic servers.

Kiyoris , DMKano said most popular not most numerous.  So you should read properly before correcting him as he is absolutely correct. Check the population on the classic servers Lockjaw and Ragefire. Only server that comes close is AB.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Dreamo84 said:
    Agreed, but that's what I was talking about, a game that's this old charts new territory every day via sheer existence. The world the models all need another round of love ;)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Dreamo84 said:
    Agreed, but that's what I was talking about, a game that's this old charts new territory every day via sheer existence. The world the models all need another round of love ;)
    This is where stylized graphics shine from production standpoint. They age much better. When going with realistic graphics, the choice has to be made how often (if at all) there will be a graphics upgrade to the game. It's a massive project, affecting almost every visual aspect of the game, from the 3D world to the UI that rests over it. As the game grows with expansions and updates, so does that list of assets that need to be addressed each pass at keeping them current. 

The graphics of EVE Online are beautiful* because their art team never rests.  On the flip side, World of Warcraft was praised for its polished, stylized graphics at release and those same graphics have stood the test of time with few graphics upgrades over the past 10+ years. 

*PVPers, zoom in. There's really cool looking 3D ships behind those colored squares. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre