Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Caribbean Online

verdantrexverdantrex Member UncommonPosts: 100

Hey gang,

Just noticed that this game's big pirate MMO competition, also scheduled for a 2006 release (this summer, tied in with the second movie), Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online now has an official site:

http://disney.go.com/pirates/online/

Disney hasn't revealed anything about the MMO yet, but they say it's going to be this summer.   Even though Burning Sea has been in development forever, and there's support for it here, I think Disney's game is going to be a lot more popular (unless it's truly awful)... they just have such a powerful marketing power, and the movie series is very, very popular too (pretty much revitalized the pirate genre, and fueled interest in Burning Sea as well).  Burning Sea better get to market soon, because Disney's game could be a juggernaut, the big surprise MMO of the year no one's talking about.   (Like... MMORPG.com, what's the deal with not giving Disney's game a section or a forum?)

V

Comments

• ShinzouShinzou Member Posts: 34

That is what some people said about MxO, now look at it.

Just because it has a nice franchise behind it does not mean it will come out on top.

Not to mention PotBS will have an established player base by the time PotCO comes out.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Well the official site does say that this is disney's follow up to toontown, which is a wonderful little mmo-type game for kids if you don't know about it. So its quite possible that if they are taking the same road it may well be aimed at a younger audience at which point pirates of the burning sea has little to worry about.

Or they could go the other way, having gained a little experience in the market, Disney might try to pull something a little more mainstream aimed at an older demographic. If they do and if they can manage put a game together that is more then you morphing into a ship, where might actually be able to become appart of a mulitperson crew, they might have something. But that's a stretch so I doubt anyone has anything to worry about.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

This Disney game isn't going to be up to much, how long has it been in development and it is due out this summer? This is the first I have heard of Pirates of the Caribbean Online. How long has Pirates of the Burning Sea been in development so far and it still isn't out. Good games take a ton of work and time. There is no way the Disney game will be on par with Pirates of the Burning Sea, they're not putting enough time into it unless it has been under secret development for a couple of years.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• crreescrrees Member Posts: 36

Personally, I have worked with the Disney coorperation and have seen what they can do overnight.  I am from Florida and for more then a decade have seen what that company can do.  If you could see what they could do overnight you would not contest their ability.  They are incredibly powerful and excellent at what they do.  I think PotBS will be a great game but PoTC will be a huge competition.  They only thing I imagine Disney will be flawed on is its image of being to kiddish.  It will def. favor a newbie system which I am not excited for, but they may see this as an opportunity to wedge itself into the MMO community.  They tried with toontown, I dont see it as much of a success, knowing Disney, they will tweak all their errors to make it right the next time around. 

Ive got two choices, run, or stay and fight...And I dont see no doors...

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Don't forget Uncharted Waters Online. (Unless it's been cancelled.)

Taken from mmogchart.com:

Koei

Uncharted Waters Online

Availability: Unknown

http://www.koei.com/

Koei was showing off their Age of Sail-themed MMOG at their booth at E3, but I did not get a chance to see it personally. I can tell you that the whole pirates/sailing theme is very hot right now, and the game is graphically quite beautiful. The game has already been released in Japan, with Korea, China, and Taiwan to follow soon. A North American / European release is also quite likely in the coming year, which would pit the game against Pirates of the Burning Sea and Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• SneakySnailSneakySnail Member Posts: 65

Pirates of the Caribbean Online Loooks Dum
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Loooks Wayyyy better

• AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107

I personally think POTC will be a flop, there is really no information/screenies to show anything about their game... and they want to launch in '06? psh...

PotBS, on the other hand, is in beta, has had several showings (e3, PAX, etc.) there are several movies, and hundreds of screens. Along with a large fanbase already. Word from the beta testers is that even this early in beta the game is very playable: no graphical glitches, very little gameplay problems, etc.

(and if i sound like a total fanboi, its cause i am ::::20:: )

• Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

Originally posted by Shinzou

That is what some people said about MxO, now look at it.

SOE touched it. 'Nuff said.
  • IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Originally posted by verdantrex
    Hey gang,
    Just noticed that this game's big pirate MMO competition, also scheduled for a 2006 release (this summer, tied in with the second movie), Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online now has an official site

Ok, just so you know. Here's the Pirates of the Caribbean Online timeline.

1. April 2005... Disney announces PotC Online. Disney puts up a one-page intro, linking to the April 2005 press release. Says PotC Online is releasing in Summer 2006.
    2. January 2006... Nothing added since April!

No changes. No new press releases. No forums. No screenshots. Not a single word from Disney.
    Does that sound like a game that will RELEASE in Summer 2006? ::::04::

In the same timeframe, here's Pirates of the Burning Sea.
    1. April 2005... PotBS goes into its second E3 with a playable demo, but missions are only placeholders. Forum community since early 2003.
    2. September 2005... PotBS shown at PAX with playable missions.
    3. September 2005... Accept beta apps
    4. December 2005... First wave playing beta
    5. Late December/early January 2006... Second wave invites mailed out
    6. Steady stream of screenshots, press releases, dev diaries, beta contests, etc, etc, etc.

Which of these two games is on target for a 2006 release? (Fall 2006)
    Will PotC Online release before 2008?

• LuckbadLuckbad Member Posts: 11

YARR!!! I'll play pretty much any Pirate MMOG released... which is sad. I'm not too sure what is going on with Pirates of the Caribbean Online, because as others have stated previously, we haven't heard much about it recently.

Pirates of the Burning Sea looks pretty decent. I got to check it out a bit at E3 and it looked great visually, although I still don't know how it will be gameplay-wise.

• JudithWilliamsJudithWilliams Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 65

Hey gang,
    Just noticed that this game's big pirate MMO competition, also scheduled for a 2006 release (this summer, tied in with the second movie), Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online now has an official site:
    http://disney.go.com/pirates/online/
    Disney hasn't revealed anything about the MMO yet, but they say it's going to be this summer.   Even though Burning Sea has been in development forever, and there's support for it here, I think Disney's game is going to be a lot more popular (unless it's truly awful)... they just have such a powerful marketing power, and the movie series is very, very popular too (pretty much revitalized the pirate genre, and fueled interest in Burning Sea as well).  Burning Sea better get to market soon, because Disney's game could be a juggernaut, the big surprise MMO of the year no one's talking about.   (Like... MMORPG.com, what's the deal with not giving Disney's game a section or a forum?)
    V

Hmmm... As I have a 10 year old daughter who actively plays toon town, I do believe that Pirates of the Carribean is a mmo that will be meant for children:) I don't think POTBS has anything to worry about:)

Educator, writer, and Gamer.

Follow me at: MMOG Musings and MMOGology

• DainterDainter Member Posts: 45

The Devs at Burning Sea have said that they will not be in direct competition with the Disney MMO.  They indicated (a few months ago at least on their boards) that they were aware of what the Disney game would be like and that it would not be a real competitor....The target audiences are different, this supports the idea that PoTC will be Toontown with Pirates.

Disney has not released any info in about 8 months on their game.  Either they gave up, or aren't bothering with advertising early.  Or they are just going to buy PoTBS and rebrand it as PoTC.  That would save them a lot of work.

• UlfarUlfar Member Posts: 75

Cash In

enuff said.

• verdantrexverdantrex Member UncommonPosts: 100

I don't know if these are 100% legit (since I don't speak Czech/Polish), but they look real enough...

http://www.hodnoceniher.cz/obrazek.php?obr=3614&hra=829

The first in-game images from the "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" MMO?

Does the game get its own section now?

V

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

I don't know if these are 100% legit (since I don't speak Czech/Polish), but they look real enough...

Nope. Pirated screen shots! The eye patch guy is from a May 11, 2005 Pirates of the Burning Sea screenie, you can see it in the PotBS archives.

http://www.burningsea.com/gallery_archive.php?begin_with=10

The other two are also familiar. I'm sure you can dig those out of the PotBS archives too. I imagine, being a czechish site, they confused PotBS and PotC.

PotC is still vapourware. 10 MONTHS and not one single press release update or screenshot.

• BravemanBraveman Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Iijs

Nope. Pirated screen shots! The eye patch guy is from a May 11, 2005 Pirates of the Burning Sea screenie, you can see it in the PotBS archives.

http://www.burningsea.com/gallery_archive.php?begin_with=10

The other two are also familiar. I'm sure you can dig those out of the PotBS archives too. I imagine, being a czechish site, they confused PotBS and PotC.

PotC is still vapourware. 10 MONTHS and not one single press release update or screenshot.

Hi Guys ... I´m editor from czechish site www.hodnoceniher.cz (english version is on www.hodnoceniher.com ) and you have true. This pictures are confused:/ Sorry for this false and very thx all for this advice. It was my silly error.

to verdantrex : Poland and Czech Republic are two different states with two similar languages (http://www.webmapy.cz/app/czechinvest/europe/?lng=en) :P

Thx

• blindsdogblindsdog Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by SneakySnail
    Pirates of the Caribbean Online Loooks Dum
    Pirates of the Burning Sea Loooks Wayyyy better

i dont think anyone will think much of your opinion :(
    spelling dumb wrong when your calling something else dumb doesnt really seem like a good thing to do
    :P, and your capitilization is wrong

and i think it all depends on what disney is aiming for, personally, i dont doubt what disney can do in a short period of time. if they're aiming for a more experienced and older group, i'll try out PoTCO, but if they're going for little kids that are 8 - 12 years old, i'll keep watching PotBS.
    all depends on who this mmo is for.

i'll probably play PotBS as well, but the only thing that seems bad about that game is the instances, and how pirates cant attack other pirates. also, doesnt seem like too many people will be adventurers or naval officers, looks like theres gonna be alot of pirates.

*edit*
    The game is being designed by the Walt Disney Internet Group's acclaimed VR Studio as a world of high seas action and adventure where players will personalize their own pirate character and organize with other players to form a pirate crew. Players will then embark on swashbuckling missions to battle both each other and the evil, undead pirates of the high seas in an effort to become the Caribbean's most legendary pirate. Access to the game will be available directly online and players will pay a subscription fee for the service. An information site for the game has been launched at www.pirateslegend.com offering a registration service to sign-up to receive future game updates and launch information.

people are going to be making up their own crews, so thats like what, a clan on 1 boat organizing and attacking other clans and npc boats? sounds cool :P

and theres going to be a subscription fee, which means this will most likely be directed toward older gamers, because little kid's parents aren't just going to hand them a credit card for monthly payments.

could be a game for new players though :/

• JudithWilliamsJudithWilliams Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 65
    On the contrary, my daughter is 10 and I pay a monthly fee for her toon town online... and a ton of kids her age play that game, so I know it won't be out of the ordinary for parents to pay a monthly fee for a childs game.

Educator, writer, and Gamer.

Follow me at: MMOG Musings and MMOGology

• duggoduggo Member Posts: 387

I've heard the Amazing Criswell predict...

Disney will wait for FLS to finish PotBS and then buy it from them, slapping the PotC label on the cover.  Pirates will remain pirates, England will remain England, but Spain will be turned into the Ghost Pirate faction.  France will be dropped from the game as retribution towards their horrible treatment of EuroDisneyland.

Don't mind me, the wait for PotBS has driven me a bit batty. image

-d

Waiting on: Pirates of the Burning Sea and Pirates of the Carribean Online