Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness | Paradox and White Wolf Sitting in a Tree | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Darkness | Paradox and White Wolf Sitting in a Tree | MMORPG

Last week it was announced that CCP Games sold the rights and all assets of White Wolf Publishing (the folks behind the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade IPs) to none other than Paradox Interactive. In light of this, we called up the brand new CEO of White Wolf, Tobias Sjögren about the purchase and what it might mean for RPGs and MMOs with the White Wolf branding in the future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Great news
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    My god please dont fail with this one.......

This can realy become an epic mmo :)
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Sweet! Thank god it didn't die out and good to know White Wolf are now officially backing it.  Paradox is not a bad company either so should be decent.

imageimage

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    schweeet.... as i have said many times on this forum this was one game i was gutted that wasn't going to make it too daylight (excuse the pun) but now i can have some hope again.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2015
    Not sure by present day standards why anyone would get too crushed or excited over a video game.

You know nothing great will come of it and if you support mediocre game design just because you liek the franchise,you are supporting for the wrong reasons.

I would love to see a great game come of it but i figure,Paradox could make a great similar game anyhow without the IP attached to it,which leaves me to believe it is nothing more than a cash grab off the IP name.

It is like realizing perhaps a Pokemon or Terminator mmorpg,we know the whole IP and what it does and the lore it creates,we don't need to actually buy the property rights to do something similar.How do you think Wow was made,straight out of the Everquest template.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    edited November 2015

1 plunger salute to the Sale to Paradox Interactive (just to get it out of CCP's hands). Now a message to Paradox Interactive CEO......MAKE MY WOD MMO!

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Cautiously hopeful again.
  • Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Wizardry said:
    Not sure by present day standards why anyone would get too crushed or excited over a video game.

You know nothing great will come of it and if you support mediocre game design just because you liek the franchise,you are supporting for the wrong reasons.

I would love to see a great game come of it but i figure,Paradox could make a great similar game anyhow without the IP attached to it,which leaves me to believe it is nothing more than a cash grab off the IP name.

It is like realizing perhaps a Pokemon or Terminator mmorpg,we know the whole IP and what it does and the lore it creates,we don't need to actually buy the property rights to do something similar.How do you think Wow was made,straight out of the Everquest template.
    I suppose the point of it is that the sheer amount of content available from the franchise will no doubt be extremely beneficial in helping to bring an MMORPG of this caliber to market. As well as the rabid fan base across both mediums, seems like no-brainer rather than reinventing the wheel and trying to generate interest from sratch, no?
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Maybe if they keep Ryan Dancey away from this, it will have a chance of being developed.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    World of Darkness was the last MMO I put my hopes into... and then it came crashing down. Hope they manage to do something with it! Revived Hope! :proud: 
  • NoktavianNoktavian Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Wizardry said:

I really think you don't understand what any of this is about. It isn't about a name brand completely. It is about all that is available and well documented by a company who has been in business for the past 30 years or so. It has a cult, and gamer following. Even when concerned Everquest, WoW was unkindly looked upon by anyone who actually was thinking of moving over from Everquest. I really can not even begin to know where you are versed at all in anything that you are talking about. In fact, do you even know what the World of Darkness is. There is no such thing as a game that is similar to this. Do you think that isn't for a good reason. It would have been stopped when first talks were made. WoD is beyond the lore of any other thing. How, it's based in a real living breathing world. You can't beat that with any other sort of write up. WoD is here to stay. And it is my hope to see this requisition by Paradox to lead to many more things than an MMO. That just happens to be the best possible outcome. A for mediocre game design. Paradox has never made Anything Mediocre. I just don't understand why some people who don't know what they are talking about would down everyone elses excitement just to be a critic. Shove off and try to compete in the movie industry as a cynic, no gamer wants to hear it. Have a nice day.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Now we wait.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I swore I wouldn't pre-order (crowdfund) another game. If they make a WoD MMO and are true to its roots, I can see myself breaking that promise. And I see my wallet being a lot lighter in the process.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Bluddwolf said:
    Maybe if they keep Ryan Dancey away from this, it will have a chance of being developed.
    God please lets keep that idiot away from this!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Generally I like Paradox, they have been a part of some of my favourite games.  They also publish some that are not so hot.  Here is to hoping they go with something good.  I would just love another RPG in the setting.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• dragonherderdragonherder Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Asm0deus said:
    Bluddwolf said:
    God please lets keep that idiot away from this!
    Hey it could be worse.. It could be Derek Smart lol.
  • SonshouSonshou Member UncommonPosts: 18
    If they revive the MMO, I hope they can do something that CCP wanted to do, which was to create separated MMOs for every World of Darkness gameline (Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension among several others) and then interconnecting them. Some people think WoD is about "me a hunter you a monster, let's fight to the death", so they only want to see his Van Helsing (film from 2008) MMO. If Hunters within WoD universe is what you want, then read "The Hunters Hunted" and "Hunter: The Reckoning" books to see beyond simple idea.
    TaishiFox said:
    Sweet! Thank god it didn't die out and good to know White Wolf are now officially backing it.  Paradox is not a bad company either so should be decent.
    White Wolf only existed in name, after CCP laid off everybody in the North American studio, once in 2011 and finally in 2014 after the cancellation of the WoD MMO, others White Wolf employees left CCP in 2011 and one of them, Rich Thomas, founded The Onyx Path Publishing, then licensed the WoD and Exalted IPs from CCP, also bought other IPs outright. Onyx Path keeps publishing books for the original tabletop games. Paradox now revived White Wolf Publishing, current White Wolf's CEO is the former vice president of Paradox Interactive. Both Onyx Path and White Wolf/Paradox will soon go to talk about the licensees of the tabletop games. I hope they can keep them.
  • iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Paradox, pls let Obsidian at it! Already throwing bundles of $$ at my screen but they keep returning :'(
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    please make an adult MMORPG for this universe !!!

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I love the setting, been playing the tabletop for years BUT this is one of those settings that doesn't work for an MMORPG. Maybe if they do the mundane "Hunter's Hunted" as the players it may work.
  • WasadiWasadi Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Cool. I'll be keeping an eye on their progress. Thanks.

If you ain't dyin', then you ain't tryin'.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Like I said last time... we will see. If it's a carbon copy of all the other MMO's out there with different graphics, it won't do very well.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I'm sorry, and forgive my cynicism, but: We're going to take the MMO that CCP epically ruined with their own team of developers.  Then we're going to hire one of the lead guys from CCP who was in charge when the game melted down internally under the weight of almost comically bad management?

What could go wrong?

Maybe, and I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe hire someone who has actually worked on or produced a successful MMO?
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Well I'm interested now to wait and see what they do with it. I'll keep an eye on it

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    What would make for a good discussion is who the target audience would be for such a game, how the game would cater to that audience, and what would be the conequences, if any, of disenfranchising the other segments of interested parties. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre