Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade developers cave to western feminists. Western version censored.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    i am NOT OK if they censor a particular region for ANY reason. While the picture on the left looks better suited for combat than the picture on the right, i would not pay a single dollar for that game for the simple fact that they are censoring it and i will never support censorship.
    I'm not ok with this either. I always preferred Sega games, because Nintendo's version was always the version where anything that could possibly offend a poor helpless Westerner, would get censored out. Sega didn't care, they rarely censored anything.
    tawess said:

That and the fact that it is a shift in privileges where we men are slowly losing the "god given" right to always be.. well.. right. It will be sorely missed but in the end good things will come out of it.

Nothing good has come out of this 2nd wave feminism.

Feminism has much to answer for denigrating men and encouraging women to seek independence whatever the cost to their families.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Feminism has much to answer for denigrating men and encouraging women to seek independence whatever the cost to their families.
    I find it amazing that blatantly political misogynist propaganda is spouted willy-nilly in gaming forums these days. It's like GG has given license for all the wackos to come out of their hateful closets.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited November 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    Torval said:
    However, I don't want to see that used as a justification for promoting the practice. I don't want to see men or women objectified. I especially when it adds absolutely nothing to the story or gameplay.
    I hate people calling for more naked men or women, for their own sake.

For me the art direction is sacred, and should not be tampered with.

It has nothing to do with having more or less nakedness.

It is about freedom of expression and artistic license developers should have, that should be sacred.

I disagree with people completely who say "there should be more men or women naked or less".

What I don't want, is people, often women groups, (sorry but I'm going to call a spade a spade, it is almost always SJW / feminists) trying to censor games.

It is even more ridiculous, that the people trying to censor games, are often not even gamers, or don't even play the games they want censored.
    I think you have a rather romantic view of freedom of expression.

These aren't individual paintings/sculptures that have been censored by the government. The artists were hired to make game assets. The company desired a certain rating and they changed them.

believe it or not, Art has been a business way longer than video games have been in existence. You dont' think various paintings, sculptures, literature have been altered to adhere to/take advantage of business concerns?

Heck, my great grandfather was a professional sculptor and worked in marble and he didn't just get out a giant block and start "creating". He was hired to do a job and he did the job based upon the specifications given. 

You need to get it straight that some art is about expression and some art is about the business of art. Sounds to me like you are defending something that really doesn't need defending. When they start censoring literature or removing art exhibits because they are scandalous then "sure" come out swinging. But these companies are in the business of making games and if they choose to alter their assets so that their games can be played by more people then they'll do that. If making their characters more scantily clad would accomplish the same thing then I'm sure they would do that as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gearchin13gearchin13 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Kiyoris said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X – Lin’s outfits changed in the west.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/10/xenoblade-chronicles-x-censored-in-west/ 

Back when Xenoblade Chronicles X released in Japan, one of the talking points for the game was how skimpy some of the costumes were for Lin, one of the party members in the game. Wearing what amounts to a thong bikini most of the time, it appears as though her outfits have been censored in the EU and most likely the USA versions of the game. Check out the quick comparison below.

The more-revealing outfits are from the Japanese version. The ones with less skin exposed are from the European (and presumably North American) version.

good thing they gave her better outerwear, she is 13 in the game, different cultures doesn't excuse over-sexual depiction of minors.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.
    You shouldn't speak about things you don't understand.
    edited November 2015
    Iselin said:

I find it amazing that blatantly political misogynist propaganda is spouted willy-nilly in gaming forums these days. It's like GG has given license for all the wackos to come out of their hateful closets.
    It's actually a quote from a conservative woman, just like me. I grew up in a conservative family, I like my partner, we love our children, and we believe, those are the core values of a society. Not new age feminism that creates division between the sexes. Other women tell me, that my way of life, taking care of children, and choosing to take care of my family and husband, creates "patriarchy" and is wrong. I feel people should be able to choose, do and live how they like.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Iselin said:

Whoa, dude... unlike you, they didn't attack or insult anyone. They simply said they felt nothing good has come from this wave of feminism - not "all feminists" or "all feminism" - just this wave of it. 

So, take a breather, consider the source, and calm down. In all the time posting here, have you EVER seen Calm be the type of person you described? Of course not, so why go against logic and your own experience with the person to lash out in such a vitriolic manner? 

Take it easy. We're all on the same team in more ways than you realize. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited November 2015
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.

http://blog-imgs-42-origin.fc2.com/d/i/r/direwolves/castanic_m_no-armor.jpg

http://mmorpg-tactics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/highelf_m_no-armor.jpg  

ok lets talk
    Post edited by alkarionlog on
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Dont know why they got her dressed like she about to strip dance in the first place exploring an uncharted world.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    fodell54 said:
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.
    its not about nude pixels, its about censorship. Yes, having almost nude females in video games that have nothing to do with nudity is ridiculous, but supporting censorship by purchasing the censored version and saying "who gives a shit" is even more pathetic.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    fodell54 said:
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    There are no "minors" in video games.  There is no "exploitation" of a video game character that does not exist.  You are standing up for the rights of ones and zeros on a server in Japan.  There is nobody to defend, no moral crusade, no banner to wave and no ideal to champion here for anybody.  Nobody is a pedophile for looking at sexualized video game characters of any age in any state of dress, any more than they would be a murderer in any game they play for lopping off the enemy's heads, or putting a bullet through their eye with a headshot.

Even small children understand the difference between fantasy and reality.  Apparently there are adults in this thread who have yet to reach that level of maturity, which is a bit of a shame, but it provides a good sample size for where the world is headed.  This, like all other similar circumstances, is just an easy target for the people who spend their days looking for something -- anything -- to be offended by, so that they can feel like they belong to a group of people who matter in some way, no matter how insignificant.

Art is art.  Save your outrage for things that matter, like real child sex rings, war, famine and starvation, crime, homelessness and things that are truly a travesty in the world, not the "rights" of a video game character.  If you don't like it, don't play it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    She represents a minor. 
    What else is there to understand?
    She represents a minor.
    and?

Maybe the real question is.
    Why do you want this?
    edited November 2015
    Maybe the real question is.
    Why do you want this?
    I don't know who you're referring to, but I want the original version of the game, as intended by the developer.

Whether that means polka dot bikinis, or eskimos with umbrellas, isn't the problem...I want to see the vision, as intended by the developer.

If Nintendo is forced by authorities, to change things, fine. I understand minors shouldn't be playing certain games and I understand some things are restricted.

What we are seeing right now, is something very different, it is developer houses, swaying to public opinion and PC correctness.
    Loktofeit said:
    Iselin said:

Whoa, dude... unlike you, they didn't attack or insult anyone. They simply said they felt nothing good has come from this wave of feminism - not "all feminists" or "all feminism" - just this wave of it. 

So, take a breather, consider the source, and calm down. In all the time posting here, have you EVER seen Calm be the type of person you described? Of course not, so why go against logic and your own experience with the person to lash out in such a vitriolic manner? 

Take it easy. We're all on the same team in more ways than you realize. :) 

In the context of this thread, the imagined role of feminism in the self-censoring of a video game by the developers was introduced by the OP. as it so often is these days, as a gratuitous polarizing political statement of a certain very recognizable stripe.

That conservative media incited perspective is the thing that doesn't belong in gaming forums. Regardless of who piles onto the anti-feminist (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th wave... it makes no difference) political propaganda.

This is the second time this weekend I've seen this here. The first was in the stereotypical "why they ban me?" post over in the Shroud of the Avatar forum where the reason for the ban was, once again, a blatantly misogynist post by that OP. In that case, GG was even specifically referred to by the OP's post in question.

I realize that the US election rhetoric is gearing up again. Hopefully, we can keep the worst of the special interest group hate mongering out of here.

As to vitriol... well, I'm a member of visible minority and have seen more than my share of both, overt and disguised bigotry directed at me. I probably react stronger to mindless homogenized slights directed at worthy causes than those for whom this is merely an intellectual exercize.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Kiyoris said:
    I think the amount of censorship is ridiculous. They can not even show a woman's breast anymore or Apple decides to pull the game from their app store.

These things used to hang in churches.

Now it is FORBIDDEN to even show a woman's breast in a game anymore.

Crazy.

They are human bodies, they should be celebrated, not hidden away.

I really get what you are saying.  And most of the time I would stand behind you.  But, after reading some of the comments.  I believe the character is a young teenager.  That alone makes me glad they censored it.  Asia and the middle earth.. east I mean can keep their pedo culture there.  

There is no reason for a young girl to be represented like that.  Another way to look at it.  There are a lot young female gamers who want a great female character to relate to them from the game of their choice.  In the original Xenoblade they get the choice of great male characters and what looks like a young sex slave recently purchased from human trafficking.
    Iselin said:

It's actually a quote from a conservative woman, just like me. I grew up in a conservative family, I like my partner, we love our children, and we believe, those are the core values of a society. Not new age feminism that creates division between the sexes. Other women tell me, that my way of life, taking care of children, and choosing to take care of my family and husband, creates "patriarchy" and is wrong. I feel people should be able to choose, do and live how they like.
    Feminists of any wave would be the first to support your right to choose to live your life as you wish. I know many feminists and I can't say I've ever run into the media caricature feminists you're afraid of.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Robokapp said:
    She represents a minor. 
    What else is there to understand?
    your point?

I can google minors in bathing suits right now. 

If i were living in Iran I don't think I could but ... hmmm ... or the USA soon, it seems. 
    I didn't see anything about who made the decision to modify the appearance. You guys make it sound like there was some politician or lobby group pushing for this. It was probably the developer voluntarily looking to stay away from controversy in the West. Blame who you must. But I doubt this is a case where your freedoms are being chipped away.
    edited November 2015
    Robokapp said:
    Interesting on this topic is always this...

Lorenzo Lotto. Venus and Cupid. Oil on canvas. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA

I wonder if the Metropolitan Museum Of Art is rated R or censored. Do you have to be 18 to enter?

http://www.abcgallery.com/L/lotto/lotto26.html
    According to many here, this 18th century painting should be censored and banned.

Not only is it a minor, it is a minor without any clothing.

They feel, they have the moral authority, to censor others.

Torval said:

Basically the OP and those defending it are lashing out women as the cause of this small change. @tawess above really outlined it well.
    Wrong, I love women. But I don't like groups standing on a moral high ground, telling others what they can and can't do. No one appointed them.
    Kiyoris said:
    Torval said:

Basically the OP and those defending it are lashing out women as the cause of this small change. @tawess above really outlined it well.
    Wrong, I love women. But I don't like groups standing on a moral high ground, telling others what they can and can't do. No one appointed them.
    LOL. Here's a shovel, dig yourself a deeper hole:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I would generally disagree... But then we get in to a argument about the definition of feminism and what is or is not a part of that. 

So i will just ask.... What "cost to their families"? Or was that just something you pulled from thin air. 

This have been a good conversation