Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade developers cave to western feminists. Western version censored.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kiyoris said:

What I don't want, is people, often women groups, (sorry but I'm going to call a spade a spade, it is almost always SJW / feminists) trying to censor games.

As long as we're shoveling...stuff. You seem to be jumping to conclusions based on your own obvious prejudice against feminists.

Who's to say that the company itself, thinking of nothing but their bottom line, and sensitive to the fact that some cultural things don't translate well when viewed by audiences with a different cultural bias, didn't make the change simply to try to sell more units?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Im OK if the game does not have skimpy outfits, but i am NOT OK if they censor a particular region for ANY reason. While the picture on the left looks better suited for combat than the picture on the right, i would not pay a single dollar for that game for the simple fact that they are censoring it and i will never support censorship.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Question for the outraged duo of Aori and Kyoris... can you link to where it said anyone other than the developers asked to make the change?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't think this is really an issue about Skimpy or suggestive clothing in a game, so much as its an issue involving the sexualisation of minors, if the devs changed the outfits because they didn't want to get hit with a 'mature' rating for their game, then thats not censorship anyway, its no different to what happens in films where bits are edited out so that they can keep things like 12 or 15 ratings, rather than risk reducing the viewing audience by being hit with an 18 rating. Its not about censorship, as has already been pointed out, its about money.
    This would be an argument far easier to understand for some, if it was about the 'gore factor' in the game, if they had toned down the visual representation of the wounds being inflicted in combat, in order to keep the age rating of the game down, that would be easier to understand. I think people will just have to accept, that child nudity or sexualisation in a game will increase its age rating proportionally, not to mention might actually get the game banned in some countries, it has happened, so if the developers want to market their game to as wide an audience as possible, they do what they have to do, this is after all, all about money.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Kiyoris said:
    Tybost said:
    Against censorship as it does not represent the developers original intended design
    My main problem with censoring games, is that lately, it is people who have nothing to do with these games, aren't fans of these games, and often don't even play games...who start telling developers what they can and can't do.

They have no right to do that, they have appointed themselves as moral authority, they should be ignored by every developer, because censorship is a very dangerous and slippery slope.
    If they're censoring it, they're doing so out of deference to religious conservatives not feminists.  I hate to break it to you but there are way way more crazy religious people than feminists in America, and yes they have appointed themselves as moral authority.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Who cares if it gets censored? Just bring it to west already.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Aori said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Question for the outraged duo of Aori and Kyoris... can you link to where it said anyone other than the developers asked to make the change?
    I'm not really outraged, I have no intentions of running around in a bikini fighting monsters, ruins the immersion. As I said in my first post, I simply don't understand their decision when their last game didn't remove those options.

My other responses were to the people of the thread more than anything else, who are ok with the current hypocrisy censorship in the west.
    Its not censorship though, they could have gone along with the original graphics quite easily, but it would have been an 18 rated game, age ratings are not censorship, they are what they are, whether people adhere to them is another issue, too many kids seem to get hold of 18 rated games imo. This is just the developers of the game, trying to aim the game at the largest demographic possible, an 18 rating would not allow that to happen, even a 15 rating might be limiting for them, but a 12 rating would be ideal for most games of this type, but for that, it just means that there are some things that cannot be depicted, and child nudity is one of them, its hypocrisy to suggest otherwise.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited November 2015
    Gotta love how the topic creator just straw-mans feminists without presenting any proof or statements that it was actually feminists that caused the developers to make this decision. *eye roll*
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited November 2015
    Gotta love how the topic creator just straw-mans feminists without presenting any proof or statements that it was actually feminists that caused the developers to make this decision. *eye roll*
    It has been feminists from the Huffington Post, that have RELENTLESSLY attacked Nintendo and their female character in games in the last couple of months.

In response, Nintendo tried to appease to them by making silly "celebrate women's history month" posters, and censoring their game characters where the most complaints come from.

But feminists didn't accept it, and they are still attacking Nintendo.

These are people that DON'T EVEN PLAY GAMES btw.

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Xeno.phon said:
    There is no such thing as equality as long as feminists exist, they are no different than chauvinists and in fact have proven to be even more destructive by forcing their way into media and entertainment to force redundant changes to suit their ego.

I think after having a few female leaders it has been proven that females are just as big of messed up, violent, corrupt pieces of shit as males are. The sooner they realize that the sooner we can get back to equality.

Goodness.   Apparently in your world equality means women inferior to men.  Certainly women not having a voice about themselves.  Yes, you're right.  It was much easier on men when women were silent and men just told them what to think.  And of course, as soon as women return to their proper place in the world, well then, we'll have equality again.  Unlike now, of course, where women keep fracking everything up by trying to change the way men view them; that is, like whole, real people, just like men. 

Sadly, we can't get back to equality because there never was equality between the sexes.  There is no "back" to go to.  We can only go forward.

The art is exceptionally ugly.  But I doubt the developers changing it for the western market has anything at all to do with feminism (which, to define it properly is women having economic, social and political equality with men).  It probably has everything to do with money and the various government rating systems in Europe, US and Australia which censor games.   Rating systems, by the way, that parents demanded because of overly violent, overly sexualized games.   

And since MEN make up most of these censorship boards, your entire logic is in tatters. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kiyoris said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    If they tone it down, it means a larger audience and more money.
    That censoring games results in higher sales is completely unsubstantiated, don't claim things you can't prove.
    In most cases like this it's not exactly censorship itself  that leads to these changes..it's often dev teams themselves changing their presentation to meet a certain rating (more sales). A Teen rating will draw a larger market share in the US for such a game (anime themed) as an example, the rating system in Australia is also quite often the cause of changes in games as well as movies.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kiyoris said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    If they tone it down, it means a larger audience and more money.
    That censoring games results in higher sales is completely unsubstantiated, don't claim things you can't prove.
    What the frick... T rating = larger market share, no need for parental guidance in making a purchase, PC parents who will not buy mature games for their kids, can't prove? You're simply ignoring the obvious answer to a redundant question.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    The poor Panty Fetishists, they're losing ground.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited November 2015
    Aori said:
    Bikini's = Strong sexual content? You're suggesting a bikini is akin to child nudity? "we can't let our children see children in bikini's!" bet that makes swim practice really freaking difficult.

Bikini's are not going to raise or lower the game rating at least for NA, no matter what it'll be T. As for PEGI which you are referring, the game would be a 16 with bikini's and probably without.
    What part of "sexualization of minors" is it that you have such a hard time understanding.... It does not have to be strong sexual content.. it does not have to be mild sexual content.. It just have to allude to sexual content when it comes to minor in order for it to be deemed either "mature" or outright banned... 

And while the white-ish outfit can be called a bikini... The black one... Nope.. they is at best "sexy sleepwear".. you know the kind you do not sleep in at all.. So it alludes to.. Sex.. with someone deemed a minor in some places in Europe and the US. 

A very very touchy subject... So i am pretty sure it was not so much the feminists as their legal advisors who told them to change it. 

A bikini on it´s own is not impacting the rating.. Agreed... It is how you present it and the context in what it is used that does that. This is why we see so few child collections from Victorias Secrets... Not because of the lack of market per se but because it is a cultural taboo. 

This have been a good conversation

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    As far as I know the only outfit they changed was the one on the kid, the outfits for adults were left unchanged.

If you think its not a kid and instead a completely fictional character that doesn't exist anywhere but your mind I would like you to think of the following. If outfits of suggestive nature has no power because they are on fictional characters then this shouldn't be an issue. If they have power, then the way female kids are shown in games are important.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited November 2015
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.
    That's a completely disingenuous argument, which has been, and is easily refuted, and I'm sure you know it. 

But, since you requested it... I found this with less than a minute of Google searching... 

Appropriately, the image came from a page mocking a very similar argument to the one you just made. And that was just one example that I found. There were plenty others, but I'll leave you to do your own research, if you're at all genuinely interested in having  your facts straight, and not only in parroting lazy and unsupported arguments that are easily debunked.

Now, here's what I wonder...

Will you be the rare person who is honest and says "Okay, I stand corrected"?

Or, will you take the usual route of shifting the goal post, or otherwise dismissing the refuting evidence as "irrelevant... because reasons (ie. it doesn't support my narrative, so I have to ignore it)"?

And really, all that aside, it should also be noted - but is typically ignored in these "discussions" - that men and women are "sexualized" in very different ways. For women, it's being bosomy and wearing skimpy clothing. For men, it's being shirtless, muscular, with handsome, chiseled features.

Designers in these games enhance/exaggerate the features that are commonly considered to be "attractive" in their respective gender. It's done with both Male and Female characters. Someone who's outraged at females scantily clad because they're "unrealistic depictions of women", but is perfectly fine with men running around shirtless, with rippling muscles and "handsome hunk" perfect features, is a hypocrite.

And if my post comes across as notably "harsh", well, consider this quote, and you'll understand why: "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice". With the actual facts so readily and easily available, any time, 24/7, there is no excuse for people to make lazy, demonstrably wrong arguments, such as yours, SBFord.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.
    Well it is the "sauna-club" mentality... Anything that promotes change is dangerous and will lead to the utter corruption of the pure and innocent. 

That and the fact that it is a shift in privileges where we men are slowly losing the "god given" right to always be.. well.. right. It will be sorely missed but in the end good things will come out of it. Like a humanity that hates people for who they are and how they act... Not what they are. =P

Aori said:
    fodell54 said:
    Who gives a shit. Why is this a big deal to anyone? Do you really need to look at half nude female pixels on a video game? I don't think so. The fact that anyone would make a big deal out of this is actually borderline pathetic.
    I've been called pathetic since the 90s for simply being a gamer, this isn't anything new and will survive.

And still this is not about you... no matter how much you like it to be =P 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Pratt2112 said:
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.
    That's a completely disingenuous argument, which has been, and is easily refuted, and I'm sure you know it. 

But, since you requested it... I found this with less than a minute of Google searching... 

Appropriately, the image came from a page mocking a very similar argument to the one you just made. And that was just one example that I found. There were plenty others, but I'll leave you to do your own research, if you're at all genuinely interested in having  your facts straight, and not only in parroting lazy and unsupported arguments that are easily debunked.

Now, here's what I wonder...

Will you be the rare person who is honest and says "Okay, I stand corrected"?

Or, will you take the usual route of shifting the goal post, or otherwise dismissing the refuting evidence as "irrelevant... because reasons (ie. it doesn't support my narrative, so I have to ignore it)"?

And really, all that aside, it should also be noted - but is typically ignored in these "discussions" - that men and women are "sexualized" in very different ways. For women, it's being bosomy and wearing skimpy clothing. For men, it's being shirtless, muscular, with handsome, chiseled features.

Designers in these games enhance/exaggerate the features that are commonly considered to be "attractive" in their respective gender. It's done with both Male and Female characters. Someone who's outraged at females scantily clad because they're "unrealistic depictions of women", but is perfectly fine with men running around shirtless, with rippling muscles and "handsome hunk" perfect features, is a hypocrite.

And if my post comes across as notably "harsh", well, consider this quote, and you'll understand why: "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice". With the actual facts so readily and easily available, any time, 24/7, there is no excuse for people to make lazy, demonstrably wrong arguments, such as yours, SBFord.

The common practice of including muscle definition in male characters is hardly similar to the way the female form is enhanced in most games.  Bras and armor fit to bursting on a female chest where every lurid detail and curve can be oggled would be mirrored in male characters having much more definitive detail visible in the crotch area and oversized to boot.  If men being shirtless was actually considered partial nudity, we wouldn't be allowed to take our shirts off in public.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Who said the swim practice comment?  All the swim practices I went to, the females were ALL wearing one pieces NOT bikinis...  Bikini bottoms tend to catch water and end up around their ankles when they dive in off the blocs....Tops will re-position  and expose breasts as well.....
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Ratings are ALL about censorship. They happen precisely because people don't think it's censorship but "decency". That's why you get things censored.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    So changing the game so it doesn't cater to pedophiles is now western feminism? lol

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    edited November 2015
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
    yeah lets pretend they dont do the same thing for males in video games.

Problem is, women are told everywhere they have to be perfect or they are nothing. 

Do you think men who game all have 12 pack abs and perfect jaws? 

Look at this dude http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Urien he is completely naked with a thong on.

[Mod Edit]
    Post edited by SBFord on

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

edited November 2015
    Aori said:
    tawess said:
    Aori said:
    fodell54 said:
    I've been called pathetic since the 90s for simply being a gamer, this isn't anything new and will survive.

And still this is not about you... no matter how much you like it to be =P 
    1:Not sure what you're getting at. 

2:Though lets say this instead, you haven't agreed and keep confronting me on my opinion, so it is in fact about me.
    1: Well... It i not important. 
    2: And your opinions are of course yours to have any way you want... But that does not equal me challenging you on them as making things about you... Rather it is about any potential ripple effect your opinions can have. 

Any way.... This is a utterly silly war to fight... I guess if someone want to take a stand over government sanctioned (and UN backed) moderation but being upset over this... that is their right as free human beings... But i fail to see what it will achive apart from agitating the very people you like to have on your side once some actuall censorship rears it´s ugly face. 

Edit: Also while it is good that we can find a handful of games where there are sexualized male characters.... I dare you to find more than a handful that have female characters that are not.. =) 

But i agree... There is a very unhealthy body ideal portrayed by MANY male characters too. That needs to be worked on too. That and the very poor representation of anything but the hetronorm/mononorm.... The world is way to interesting of a place to just stick with the "norms"