Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xenoblade developers cave to western feminists. Western version censored.

Comments

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    There is no such thing as equality as long as feminists exist, they are no different than chauvinists and in fact have proven to be even more destructive by forcing their way into media and entertainment to force redundant changes to suit their ego.

I think after having a few female leaders it has been proven that females are just as big of messed up, violent, corrupt pieces of shit as males are. The sooner they realize that the sooner we can get back to equality.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Aori said:
    Kiyoris said:
    tawess said:

It is absolutely soft-core kink gear... trust me... i hang around in that scene.
    .....I hope you're joking

Ya I don't know what to make of that either.

What is it there to make of it..?  I have friends who are active BDSM and Dom/Sub practitioners... Nothing stranger than that... =) 

That outfit is what it is.... Don´t blame me.. i am not the designer. =P

This have been a good conversation

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Xeno.phon said:
    There is no such thing as equality as long as feminists exist, they are no different than chauvinists and in fact have proven to be even more destructive by forcing their way into media and entertainment to force redundant changes to suit their ego.
    Agree, I don't know how they managed to force their ideas into games. I want the game to look like the developers intended.

Not filtered through political correctness.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Kiyoris said:
    They've been doing that since the 90s.

If anything, men have been clothed far skimpier than women in games.

I don't know any Sega games with topless women, but every guy has his shirt off.

Now that I think about it many of the 80s and 90s games had scantily clothed dudes in their games.  However, I think the big difference between those games and xenoblade is that the older games used " muscle men " as their character models, and that type of clothing isn't really all that shocking.   On the other hand, Xenoblade has chosen to use a relatively normal looking character model with skimpy clothing, which sends and entirely different message. 

This is similar to what another poster pointed out.  Go to the beach and teenagers in bikinis are normal attire, but I bet if such clothing was worn to different location it could be mistaken as entirely different meaning.
    edited November 2015
    I think the amount of censorship is ridiculous. They can not even show a woman's breast anymore or Apple decides to pull the game from their app store.

These things used to hang in churches.

Now it is FORBIDDEN to even show a woman's breast in a game anymore.

Crazy.

They are human bodies, they should be celebrated, not hidden away.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Kiyoris said:
    I think the amount of censorship is ridiculous. They can not even show a woman's breast anymore or Apple decides to pull the game from their app store.

Crazy.

Again.... context is key.... And i agree with you... I also look forward to the day when male and female bodies are treated the same way and the society have done away with gender bias, sexist behavior. 

But in order to reach there.. we first need to find point zero... And that most likely do entail having both a much higher representation of women in games... and having them dressed in actual clothing... not two band-aid´s and a dental floss string. 

Now while we are on the subject.... There is a massive lack of wangs in most games too. (and before anyone try to pull the old "it is a difference between mammalian gland casings and genetalia.... I like to point out that on a female both are equally sexualized so if fair should be fair... more wang.)

This have been a good conversation

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.
    Way to kill your argument right off the bat like this hasn't been done. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

That's not armor on the JP version, that's electrical tape.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I don't know...is it really censorship? It's not like they couldn't release the original if they wanted to. Seems more like a design choice to suit the general audience. I don't think it's a good thing that accusations of censorship (among other things) get thrown around so lightly. Don't people have the right to alter their work? The armored versions seem to suit the context of the game much better too. 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Someone mentioned it already, but i find the way the model looks deformed more disturbing than the censoring. It's a shame that stuff gets censored, but characters being nearly naked for the sake of being nearly naked isn't really something one should aspire either. It doesn't add anything, on the contrary, it does put a really low limit on outfit options. After all, you don't want to cover too much, and there are some places you have to cover, so not much to do besides maybe change the color.

Sometimes the uncensored outfits also look ridiculous. Like many do in Blade and Soul. They look like someone took the censored outfits and randomly cut off some parts or was disturbed while doing so.

The censoring itself is disputable, but the changes themselves are hardly a loss most of the times.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    edited November 2015
    Kiyoris said:

Crazy.

There is no censorship. It was the game developer's choice to cover up the 15 y/o female in order to avoid the mature rating. They had a choice, they weren't forced to do anything.
    At least one MMO I know of has full nudity (Mortal Online) and it never got censored so it's definitely not forbidden to show a woman's breast or a man's schlong in a video game. Kids just won't be allowed to play it, that's all.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2015
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:
     When people cry more about having naked pixels rather than better game play, is the main reason why games are dumbed down.  Man do I miss the SNES 90's era of gaming. 
    When they start showing male characters in thongs and bikinis, let's talk. Until then, this is the right decision.

Especially thong....some male pixel cheekiness is much needed in computer gaming.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If I played the game, I'd have no intention of using this skin at all. I still find it dumb to censor stuff. Its just not right to censor things. If people don't like something, then they don't need to use it, particularly if its something optional in the game like this. 

Art should be free, not ruled by Authoritarians who seek to force things to be 'there way'. Even if someone makes something I dislike completely, I'll still support their right to do it even if I stand completely against every bit of what they say or do. Sure, I might come out against it and explain and point out why its not good, but I will not be an Authoritarian and force them to remove it.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited November 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:

I don't know any Sega games with topless women, but every guy has his shirt off.

You know darn well that the female form gets sexualized far more in computer gaming than the male form, by at least a factor of 100.  How many of the current crop of Asian MMOs that have over sexualized female characters also have male characters with large bulges and armor that is more skin than metal?  In fact, most of the male characters in Asian games are quite effeminate looking.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I'm all for revealing outfits but that's just a bikini. If Tifa or Garnet were wearing that in the game world I would think it's dumb.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "Cave to western feminists"? LOL

Well, I'm not a feminist nor a woman, but I have a strong dislike for Japanese light-pedo anime anyway.

Their constant theme of over-sexualizing female minors in games is a peculiar cultural thing that I find dodgy in the extreme.

So... good move to dress the 15-yr-old up a bit, although... I'm surprised they didn't swap the thong with a schoolgirl outfit - that'd be more like what I'd expect from them.

Just my opinion, of course.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited November 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    SBFord said:
    BigRambo said:

You know darn well that the female form gets sexualized far more in computer gaming than the male form, by at least a factor of 100.
    that is total crap

men are just as sexualized in games as women, I would say more so

every other guy is a shirtless bulging muscle guy

how many games are there with topless women?

edited November 2015
    In fact, most of the male characters in Asian games are quite effeminate looking.
    And you think because asian developers prefer effeminate males, the men aren't sexualized in Asian games?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Kiyoris said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X – Lin’s outfits changed in the west.

The more-revealing outfits are from the Japanese version. The ones with less skin exposed are from the European (and presumably North American) version.

Are you sure they didn't just cave to better taste?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Kiyoris said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X – Lin’s outfits changed in the west.

The more-revealing outfits are from the Japanese version. The ones with less skin exposed are from the European (and presumably North American) version.

Considering how horrendous this now looks, no.

edited November 2015
    Ghavrigg said:
    The censorship itself seems to be a joke (not that it's happening, just a "fuck you" to censorship by making it looks so ridiculous). They turned her from a tall chick in bra and panties or bikini or whatever, to a weird looking, muscle-atrophied, eye-patched old midget woman.

I think so too, I think it's a "fuck you" to the whiners, because it now looks terrible.

I will import the game.
    edited November 2015
    Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look any better.
    of course not, it's the same censored version
    edited November 2015
    Torval said:
    However, I don't want to see that used as a justification for promoting the practice. I don't want to see men or women objectified. I especially when it adds absolutely nothing to the story or gameplay.
    I hate people calling for more naked men or women, for their own sake.

For me the art direction is sacred, and should not be tampered with.

It has nothing to do with having more or less nakedness.

It is about freedom of expression and artistic license developers should have, that should be sacred.

I disagree with people completely who say "there should be more men or women naked or less".

What I don't want, is people, often women groups, (sorry but I'm going to call a spade a spade, it is almost always SJW / feminists) trying to censor games.

It is even more ridiculous, that the people trying to censor games, are often not even gamers, or don't even play the games they want censored.
    edited November 2015

Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Torval said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Sovrath said:

And this doesn't look any better.
    of course not, it's the same censored version
    And this doesn't look better either. It just shows more skin. How does it look better?

It looks far better to me, I like to see the ORIGINAL version, the version the developers had in mind.

If it is naked, or clothed, blue, or black, good or bad looking, I would like to see the original game.

Not the game that was changed by the last minute because some clown at Nintendo Europe decided they wanted to censor the game.

And you can see it was a last minute fix.

And Nintendo better listen to the people who are complaining right now if they want to keep selling retail games and special editions. It's not the whiners buying their games, it's us fans.