Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - How Players Will Soon Tackle Big Problems in Science

2»

Comments

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    AnnaTS said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Read the posts above.....bad community???? One thing most people don't get about Eve. In game, they will be ruthless. Outside of game, they will support you, help you, buy you a beer and chuckle over things in game. They will be your friend. o7
    This video says it really well:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

So this is what the supposedly nice people will do to people in game, i would hate to see what the horrible ones would do.
    Never play Monopoly, RISK, or Axis and Allies, AnnaTS. 
    I have only played one of them games and that is monopoly, i don't know how what them people said in the video is anyway the same as monopoly.

One person said they would scam you of everything you own, really like scamming people is a good thing too do. lol

After they said all the nice things they would do to people 1 guy said i will laugh at you afterwards then a girl said i may write about it on the forum, so they could belittle the person they did it too ?

The only thing you got out of the video (people talking about helping people contemplating suicide) was people acting bad in game. Nice way to twist it to troll.

Methinks MMORPG.COM has taken the award for the worst community.
    I actually suffer from depression myself, but i don't see how what they said would be an enjoyable experience for others.

Actually there is a bit of irony here most of the things they said they would do to people would most likely make some people depressed from playing the game, really someone would laugh at someone after they had done something not very nice to them, so that would make the other person feel great do you think ?
    Ever heard of roleplay?

The game has been around for 10+ years. Obviously people do enjoy.

But hey, keep trolling the suicide prevention ad.

Talk about bad communities.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited November 2015

Read the posts above.....bad community???? One thing most people don't get about Eve. In game, they will be ruthless. Outside of game, they will support you, help you, buy you a beer and chuckle over things in game. They will be your friend. o7
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

So this is what the supposedly nice people will do to people in game, i would hate to see what the horrible ones would do.
    Never play Monopoly, RISK, or Axis and Allies, AnnaTS. 
    I have only played one of them games and that is monopoly, i don't know how what them people said in the video is anyway the same as monopoly.

One person said they would scam you of everything you own, really like scamming people is a good thing too do. lol

After they said all the nice things they would do to people 1 guy said i will laugh at you afterwards then a girl said i may write about it on the forum, so they could belittle the person they did it too ?

The only thing you got out of the video (people talking about helping people contemplating suicide) was people acting bad in game. Nice way to twist it to troll.

Methinks MMORPG.COM has taken the award for the worst community.
    I actually suffer from depression myself, but i don't see how what they said would be an enjoyable experience for others.

Actually there is a bit of irony here most of the things they said they would do to people would most likely make some people depressed from playing the game, really someone would laugh at someone after they had done something not very nice to them, so that would make the other person feel great do you think ?
    Ever heard of roleplay?

The game has been around for 10+ years. Obviously people do enjoy.

But hey, keep trolling the suicide prevention ad.

Talk about bad communities.
    I didn't know roleplaying means people should act like jerks to others but if that is you definition of roleplaying then i suppose that must be the way you must act in the games you play.

Some people who suffer from depression play games for a bit of escapism from their worries like i do, so people acting like jerks probably wouldn't make that experience a great one.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    AnnaTS said:

Add MOBAs to the list of games you should probably steer clear of then. To be clear, I am not at all suggesting your view of things is wrong. It's different. There are also people that take things to far in the banter, jabs, and taunting. It's just different ways that people play games. Personally, I'm not going to gloat after killing someone or when I'm robbing their kills. I go about my business silently and slip away. However, if after I fought someone they felt the need to mock me for my build or my defeat or whatever, that's just how others play.  Besides, they're doing it for a reaction... why give it to them? :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:

Add MOBAs to the list of games you should probably steer clear of then. To be clear, I am not at all suggesting your view of things is wrong. It's different. There are also people that take things to far in the banter, jabs, and taunting. It's just different ways that people play games. Personally, I'm not going to gloat after killing someone or when I'm robbing their kills. I go about my business silently and slip away. However, if after I fought someone they felt the need to mock me for my build or my defeat or whatever, that's just how others play.  Besides, they're doing it for a reaction... why give it to them? :) 
     I actually do have a game of league of legends now and then but only bot games because i played some normal games and decided to stop playing them, as i for trying for ranks i decided not too because the attitude in normal games was just to bad and i wasn't enjoying my gaming experience.

I like the game just not the experience from playing with some of the other players, obviously not all the players were awful just some but that was enough for me to not play normal games any more.
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:

I actually do have a game of league of legends now and then but only bot games because i played some normal games and decided to stop playing them, as i for trying for ranks i decided not too because the attitude in normal games was just to bad and i wasn't enjoying my gaming experience.

I like the game just not the experience from playing with some of the other players, obviously not all the players were awful just some but that was enough for me to not play normal games any more.
    That seems a recurring trait across MMO, FPS, MOBA... most genres. Play co-op and people are a lot more casual. Play PVP, especially ranked, and you catch MORE crap from your own team than from the enemy if... well, no if. People are often dicks in ranked PVP. I swear none of them played sports in school. They simply couldn't have. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Loktofeit said:

Oh, well, just because it's in the GAME, that means it's perfectly okay to treat people like shit! Give me a fucking break. What a childish excuse to act like a complete prick. Then again, expecting more out of the toxic sludge which comprises the majority of the EVE community really is setting yourself up for disappointment. Tell you what, go out into public and start cussing out random people for no reason. When you're confronted by the cops, just tell them it's okay because you're only role-playing a jackass. See how far that gets you.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Solar_Prophet said:  Tell you what, go out into public and start cussing out random people for no reason. When you're confronted by the cops, just tell them it's okay because you're only role-playing a jackass. See how far that gets you.
    If you find someone using any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language in EVE Online, you should report them. That's against the terms of service. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Loktofeit said:
    Solar_Prophet said:  Tell you what, go out into public and start cussing out random people for no reason. When you're confronted by the cops, just tell them it's okay because you're only role-playing a jackass. See how far that gets you.
    If you find someone using any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language in EVE Online, you should report them. That's against the terms of service. 
    Thats the thing isn't it, those kinds of thing don't happen, at least, no more often than in other online games, and compared to games like LOL or DOTA2 etc. its probably the polar opposite, as are most MMO's for that matter.
     I've been playing Eve for over a decade now, and if there is one thing, its that the only real problem i've had with the in game chat, has usually been language barriers, that and jita spam of course, but everyone ignores that. The abusive stuff though, just never happened, even from Corps that have wardec'd us in the past, if anything the convo's tend to be a bit more polite, if slow, google translate sure gets a workout sometimes, but thats it.
     There does seem to be one common denominator about these things, and that is that the 'complaints' are usually made by people who don't play the game, or are over out of game incidents involving individuals who really should know better.
    But if people really do feel the need to go on a crusade against bad manners/language etc. Then console games are probably where they should be focusing their attention, as anyone who has encountered the 12 year olds who play the various black ops/call of duty types of games can probably attest, a worse bunch of  foul mouthed abusive individuals you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else, even LOL.
    Loktofeit said:

Oh, well, just because it's in the GAME, that means it's perfectly okay to treat people like shit! Give me a fucking break. What a childish excuse to act like a complete prick. Then again, expecting more out of the toxic sludge which comprises the majority of the EVE community really is setting yourself up for disappointment. Tell you what, go out into public and start cussing out random people for no reason. When you're confronted by the cops, just tell them it's okay because you're only role-playing a jackass. See how far that gets you.
    It's the mocking bit which makes the videos bad when they say i will laugh at you afterwards or even write about on the forum, So killing someone and taking their stuff wasn't enough for them ?

the ad is bringing awareness to depression do people not realise acting like this in a game might also make someone feel depressed from their actions and all they wanted to do was enjoy the game, people don't know what state of mind  the person is in who they are doing it too, that is where i see the itrony.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited November 2015
    Lets be clear about what was presented.

They said, in game we will be a turd. Outside of game, we will be there to help you if you need. People seem to be confused with this concept.

Many people play rogue types in games. Does this mean they are crooks in real life. Not at all. Again, in game...not real...acting...roleplaying. Vs reality.

How anyone can find a problem with that is beyond me. No its not, its common on MMORPG.Com to spin things to create an issue to argue over.

Seems to me the bad community is here doing its usual.

Quite sad to troll a suicide prevention ad and spin it as something bad.

They said, in game we will be a turd. Outside of game, we will be there to help you if you need. People seem to be confused with this concept.

Many people play rogue types in games. Does this mean they are crooks in real life. Not at all. Again, in game...not real...acting...roleplaying. Vs reality.

How anyone can find a problem with that is beyond me. No its not, its common on MMORPG.Com to spin things to create an issue to argue over.

Ok well if i am trolling as you say then i am sure i will get a warning from admin, you obviously don't get the point i am was trying to make.

Writing about what you did to someone in game to obviously how i see it, to belittle or mock someone is not acting in game the forum is seperate from being in game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:

It's the mocking bit which makes the videos bad when they say i will laugh at you afterwards or even write about on the forum, So killing someone and taking their stuff wasn't enough for them ?

the ad is bringing awareness to depression do people not realise acting like this in a game might also make someone feel depressed from their actions and all they wanted to do was enjoy the game, people don't know what state of mind  the person is in who they are doing it too, that is where i see the itrony.
    People will be mocked if they do something stupid in the game, hopefully they learn from it.
    Eve there is a saying which is; don't fly what you can't afford to lose, because you absolutely will lose it, in Eve you learn from your losses, take it on the chin, if you can't then don't blame others because its neither their fault, nor their responsibility. As to the the rest, why should players have to worry about the state of mind of other players? if someone is suffering from depression, i would hope that they were getting treatment for it, and perhaps avoided games, that have PVP etc, for just that reason, its unreasonable to expect players in a game to have to modify the way they play a game because of it, that would be too selfish.
    edited November 2015
    AnnaTS said:

Ok well if i am trolling as you say then i am sure i will get a warning from admin, you obviously don't get the point i am was trying to make.

Writing about what you did to someone in game to obviously how i see it, to belittle or mock someone is not acting in game the forum is seperate from being in game.
    In most PVP games - especially ones with politics, conquest, and territorial control - the forums are a very common extension of the game.