Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of Archeage?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited October 2015

@cortex666 They nerfed drop rates on items so they could sell cash shop items.  They even made a skill completely useless which some people worked hard to get.  Because that skill had to do with drop rates.  They didn't know how to handle the basic problems developers face in EVERY pvp game.  You could tell they had a managing team who had no clue how to play or make a pvp game.  Not only did they not know how to prevent land grabbers.  They did not stop them from grabbing all the land.  So instead of facing problems they would call it immersive PVP.  And any nice rare item that players worked hard to get became available in the cash shop.

@farbege ; Are you trollin or what cuz you didn't vote on the poll to support such a statement.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    ArcheAge is not a bad game. Its design has some weaknesses, but all in all the game is ok. The community, as I remember it, and the management of the game were bad though. Maybe they still are not the best out there. :)

It takes one to know one.

I wonder if Trion ever realized they had the wrong team running Archeage.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The game is awesome, but the publisher Trino is incompetent, greedy (P2W), and they just don't care about their costumers.

Just take a look at the newest Halloween event, an event chest is bugged since it was put on PTS and they just don't give a shit fixing it, they even avoid commenting on it. There are people missing the subscription status since 3 weeks, they still didn't fix it, also avoiding to comment on this issue.

In the eyes of the AA players, Trino is on the way of over-taking EA on the most hated publishers list with their poor/greedy management!
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    edited October 2015

quite a good game but the problem isn't just the horrible cash shop, which in large part is the fault of Trion, it is the horrible support

Add to that, Trion doesn't know the game - every event and update is screwed up one way or the other - and only partly due to the fact they pay no attention to the comments from the PTS players

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I'd still be playing it if it was P2P without cash shop.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its honestly a solid game, but imo you need a good group of people to make the game enjoyable. And it will either require a lot of time or money to be any good as well, so if an individual isn't looking to invest one or the other I don't think they should waste bandwidth.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If you want a guild-based pvp game then this one can easily work for you with only your sub fee.  If you are looking for anything else you may want to pass.  It has some great concepts that are poorly implemented, for example, the labor system...

Having a system like labor to keep the amount of goods produced is a great concept and a good equalizer for people who do not live in moms basement and cant farm 12+ hours a day like some people but...  Adding a way around that system with potions in the cash shop is bad.

Then there is the Random Number Based (RNG) crafting that does not care what your skill level is.  It might take you 10,000 honor to slot one gem in your sword while your buddy slotted all his gems using only 500 honor.  My personal opinion is RNG is not suited for crafting systems in the west and most players who consider themselves as crafters hate it.  Why have a skill-based ladder to climb when the actual build or upgrade is all based on a random number

It also does not seemed designed to attract new players.  Most land is taken and when a plot opens up an existing player grabs it.  The houses continue to get bigger and take up even more land leaving little land free for new subscribers who might earn enough to purchase a farmhouse or villa and then have no chance of ever building it.  It is gear based with better gear released each year so new players have a longer road to even become competitive.  Most towns are empty with everyone grinding at the library or auroria leaving few people around to actually help a new player and giving the appearance of an empty game.

If you jump in and find a good guild who will give you some land and help you earn enough money to buy competitive gear it can be a great game.  I tend to favor more non-guild dependent/solo play so it really isnt the game for me.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited October 2015
    filmoret said:

@farbege ; Are you trollin or what cuz you didn't vote on the poll to support such a statement.

These poll is the troll here mate ;)

I mean cmmon the intention with your poll options are obvious.

So i just answered your questions why it is a great success for me and how i was missing a truelly MMORPG since 2005 when MMORPG's started to fail IMO. (sure there are a few exceptions, but the MMORPG genre took a gameplay quality blow)
    Now archeage restored the MMORPG genre (again for me)
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    When I discovered that I have to play a game a certain way and not the way I want to play it in order to get anywhere I stopped playing.
  • Talon_DeathravenTalon_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I started recently a new character on a new EU server as F2P and I was amazed how much game changed from the time I played.The daly merit quests and daly login chest are awesome and I never have the feeling I miss LP.

Pro
    -Daly merit quest
    -Daly login reward and chest
    -Increase rate of drop for the mobs (weapons and armour)
    -Seems you can make gold easyer (im lvl 27 and i have 120 gold )
    -Lots of things to do

Con
    -Bag size
    -Labor still not recharge offline for F2P

I started recently a new character on a new EU server as F2P and I was amazed how much game changed from the time I played.The daly merit quests and daly login chest are awesome and I never have the feeling I miss LP.

Pro
    -Daly merit quest
    -Daly login reward and chest
    -Increase rate of drop for the mobs (weapons and armour)
    -Seems you can make gold easyer (im lvl 27 and i have 120 gold )
    -Lots of things to do

Con
    -Bag size
    -Labor still not recharge offline for F2P

You got me curious now.  When I was playing they made larceny useless to keep people from getting good drops.  Then they nerfed drop rates one area at a time until farming mobs was useless.  Then when Auroria launched the drop rates were nerfed and farming mobs in Auroria was useless.  Now I've heard they have made it so you cannot pvp in the housing area even during wartimes?  Auroria also did not give honor for killing enemy faction players either.  Am I wrong or has any of this stuff changed?  As for the weapons and armor drop rates they were like .001% anyways.  Did they raise it to .003% or something?
  • MmoFan2012MmoFan2012 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    farbege said:
    Best MMORPG game made in the last 12 years.

Keeps up with the founding ideas of the MMORPG genre where other developers started to fail since 2005.

This is THE MMORPG to go for vet experienced player.

note : it can be played as a sub game, i do it since it released !
    Others play it even for entirely free.  

how is this post not a Trion marketing troll lol.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Good game to play but far from great game , have many flaws in design and bugs .
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    it IS a great game no doubt. But the management could be so much better...

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    farbege said:

Keeps up with the founding ideas of the MMORPG genre where other developers started to fail since 2005.

If your handle indicates anything then that you must be new around and i give you the benefit of the doubt, that you never heard or played the real MMORPG's like Ultima Online, Star wars galaxies (pre 2005) or Dark age of Camelot.
  • hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Great game in Alpha.
    Sucks balls after.

Not much to do with the cash shop really. More to do with bumbling on management and some really really poor design changes.  Worst change of all was in the trade system that reduced pvp action at sea.  Really all the changes that reduce player interaction in WvW, including the events and arenas.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I liked the idea behind the game, the presentation left a little to be desired but it was "ok".

I would of gotten into it more but the unobtainable nature of housing etc killed it for me.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I played and subbed for a while.  I think the PvE content is weak and the combat is about as basic as you can get.  I swam across the ocean to turn in my quest to get the bigger scarecrow.  That was an interesting experience.  I died once so I had to reswim across.  I finally made it and there was 0 land available to place my plot.  I searched every area (even the conflict areas) and nothing.  This took me several hours of nothing but running around.  I was pretty frustrated so I decided to then look for expiring land.  I found a few plots of course they got hacked up by people not even present.  Then there was the launch of the new content which half the people could not log in and all land was taken in a matter of a few minutes.  I was not in a guild, but castles were captured because guilds could not log in or did not have the people with the resources able to log in.  Several guilds had spent months and countless hours getting ready for the event only to not even have a chance because of technical issues.  The servers should have been rolled back and the content relaunched to give everyone a fair chance.  These reasons along with countless bots / dupes / exploits were enough for me to unsubscribe and uninstall the game.  It is one game I can guarantee I will never return to. 
  • MmoFan2012MmoFan2012 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    farbege said:
    farbege said:

If your handle indicates anything then that you must be new around and i give you the benefit of the doubt, that you never heard or played the real MMORPG's like Ultima Online, Star wars galaxies (pre 2005) or Dark age of Camelot.
    MMORPG is not as old as UO, i only started this account a few years ago.  i started with UO and moved to EQ. then WoW and EQ2. in the middle SWG, AO, EVE and a few others. i like GW2, TSW, Rift, SWTOR, on and on. i even played DaoC in the day.  having said this, i still think your full of it.  Trion started with Rift and added the SL expansion which was great. then they added Defiance and and went F2P. at that time they canned a lot of dev and went into dressup cash shop mode. made all their classes able ot tank, heal, and dps. i have not played AA and taking note of what people say here since i am an "MMOFAN"  but all i have seen is that AAs pvp maybe worth trying. 
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    ArcheAge best game to me since Anarchy Online.
    Grafix are breathtaking, character animations are awesome.
    Controlling feels great, the world is superb, borderless and alive.
    The mechanics, well, thats the story with Jake Song ...

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    edited October 2015
    DMKano said:
    I play it still - for free. Total money spent since alpha = $150

2 patron accounts - maintained via AH patron purchases for gold 

As with any game it's far from perfect
    Same goes with XL Games and Trion - there are issues of course.

For me this is the go to guild game - organized guilds are the ones still playing.

The game is not a good choice for solo players however, much better options on the market for soloers.

I too played for free with 2 Patron accounts until Summer, when my small gaming group moved on.  The Alpha buy-in got me going on the Patron bandwagon, and I continued to keep Patron rolling by using the Euro-servers as a separate pool of labor and loyalty points to fund APEX.

While being part of a gaming group I never-the-less soloed most of the time and accumulated a clipper, a merchant ship, a farm house, high-value real estate across the continent, a farm hauler, and a sports car.  I left with enough loyalty to buy a couple of Pegasi, but it was time to go.

You can enjoy solo or small group play if you think of yourself as a Han Solo type, smuggling goods from continent to continent and avoiding pirates and enemy faction patrols.

While I oppose pay-for-progress options in MMO's, ArcheAge's innovative trade pack/trade run mechanic should be emulated by sandbox games in the future.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited November 2015
    Don't expect to solo for much and don't expect an interesting PvE side to the game.  Mob drops are horrible for the most part.  They want you to have land and grow crops.  The problem is getting land.  Crafting is annoying.  The solo experience is better in Darkfall if that tells you anything.  Labor points suck and are not fun.  But don't worry about those you won't have land and with no land you will never use up all of the labor points.

There are a number of positives (exploration, the seamless world, animations are pretty good, open world PvP with a little bit of risk vs reward).  But those positives make people even more irritated at the game breaking negatives.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    edited November 2015
    Alpha ArcheAge was the best mmo I've ever played. Launch ArcheAge is the opposite direction and more.

And despite what anyone says there was alot for soloers to do, especially if you were into crafting. The intracontinental (same continent) trading for Gilda Stars along with the exploration rewards that granted you Gilda Stars was fantastic, until the jerks at Trion allowed XL games to take it out. I'm a roleplayer and I loved ArcheAge Alpha so much that I loved it even without roleplaying. Now that's something.

I loved ArcheAge Alpha so much that I made myself stop playing it just so I could wait till launch to savor it more. It was that good.

Alpha ArcheAge on a p2p only server I'd go back to in a second, especially if it was hack free with the land stealing.

Indy developers make ArcheAge Alpha, hell anyone make ArcheAge Alpha, but with better security and a p2p only server option. Give it Western lore and a dark human variant race and I would gladly pay 30 dollars a month for a sub.  Keep the freeloaders on their own servers. If someone opened up an Alpha ArcheAge server I'd be there with bells on.
    Post edited by Maquiame on

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!