Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gloria Victis | Redefining the Crafting System | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageGloria Victis | Redefining the Crafting System | MMORPG

Although still in development, the crafting system in Gloria Victis has reached an impressive level of complexity and authenticity, which were the fundamental goals of its development. However, to make sure that becoming a master craftsman will not be achieved through mindless, tedious repetition of gathering exactly the same materials to craft exactly the same items over and over.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited October 2015
    Another great addition to what looks like is going to be an amazing mmo one day in the near future. Still waiting on combat 2.0 myself before I try it.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Alomar said:
    Another great addition to what looks like is going to be an amazing mmo one day in the near future. Still waiting on combat 2.0 myself before I try it.
    Same here. The game is coming along nicely, they just to put a bit more polish on that combat system.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Been done before theyre not reinventing the wheel here. What a great crafting system? Let modders make it.
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    rodarin said:
    Been done before theyre not reinventing the wheel here. What a great crafting system? Let modders make it.
    Yep. I was expecting to read about something truly new and innovative. This isn't really any different that what FFXIV and others have now though the way it's presented is just a little more technical *sounding*.
  • grunzerxxgrunzerxx Member UncommonPosts: 25
    the game is evolving great!
  • Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I already think the crafting system is massive, now adding this gives it more of a swg feel to me (which is great). However I think some of the other commentors are spot on in that the combat and client/server responsiveness should take a priority (especially if these are all done by the same dev team).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2015
    Bah i'm reading all that to find out it is all about pvp,that is a BIG no thanks.

The system is not unique or creative anyhow,it is still the same old,gather resource craft resources. It needs a good mini game while crafting,a challenging one and some kind of system so that after a few months all combinations and locations are not on some Wiki so nobody has to ever think again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrDooganMrDoogan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    That crafting information sounds good, but what concerns me is that it doesn't matter that certain materials are the bet for certain application if all the various resources are easy to get. Yay, the wood from the Eagle Woods make the best bow, I will go there and in 5 minutes game time I have all of it that I need. They need to combine the variety of resources along with scarcity and then perhaps it will be an interesting system. And on top of that, another thing that needs to be looked into, is that not everyone will know that a particular material is the best. That is not easy to accomplish, when all the information winds up on an easily researched wiki entry. It is how they address that which will make the game good... perhaps random appearances of high quality resources even when looking where they are supposed to be will help.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Looks like this one is progressing well. Keep up the great work guys.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    rodarin said:
    Yep. I was expecting to read about something truly new and innovative. This isn't really any different that what FFXIV and others have now though the way it's presented is just a little more technical *sounding*.
    Not sure why you would expect that. It's a revamp of their (Gloria Victis) crafting system, which is currently just X material is required to make X item, and for equipment you get a random normal, +1, 2, or 3 added onto it for increased stats. It doesn't say "Redefining MMO crafting". Also, no, FFXIV's crafting is nothing like this. The only variety in FFXIV crafting is whether or not the materials (and the resulting item) are normal or high quality. Materials and results are static. You can't replace materials with other types for different results / stats.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Nothing innovative here.  I have seen much better crafting systems.  They have a long way to go before this game becomes playable.  If you think this game will be available in the next couple years you are deluding yourself.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    They're going in the Ryzom direction. Ryzom has all of this, plus mats from NPC's. There are several types of each item, like wood, and 5 quality levels each. And just using the highest quality doesn't always get you the best item. To make it really effective, like Ryzom did, make all items crafted. No weapon or armor drops from NPC's, only mats. EVERYTHING is made by crafters.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367
    rodarin said:
    Lol this is very different from what FFXIV had. True, FF had quality, either regular or HQ, but that was the extent of your options. You couldn't choose what to make your recipes out of, nor could you expect any results aside from those 2 levels of quality. This crafting system is more of the likes of what we saw in Mortal Online. Also, unlike FFXIV, the best gear here will be crafted, not acquired from raiding. FFXIV had some fun and interesting crafting, but the end product, as far as gear went, was lackluster. When you add in the fact that this game will only offer the best materials through control of certain territories, you give the crafting a direct dependence on the pvp and vice versa. It may not be the newest idea ever, but its a functional one that leads to a lot of experimentation and meaningful pvp. I'm definitely hyped.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    your character creation is ugly,who was the idiot that made it,lol. fire that temp.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
    It sounds great, but they lost me at "open world pvp". Couldn't stand the constant farming of noobs in Darkfall.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Shame the game is FFA PVP, would have enjoyed giving it a go as everything else about the game sounds pretty good.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• bartold666bartold666 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    While it's FFA, the biggest focus in PVP is being put to the conflict between nations - players are rewarded for fighting the enemies, and that's what they do.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I don't understand the developers.  They spend all this time trying to make a really good crafting system and they put the top tier resources only in certain areas that will be controlled by the larger guilds.  So that pretty much cuts out all the small and independent crafters.   Way to kill the game for most crafters.  

Just like to know if they did any research on why past FFA PvP games failed because they seem to be following the exact same formula that has failed in the past.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Ozmodan said:
    I don't understand the developers.  They spend all this time trying to make a really good crafting system and they put the top tier resources only in certain areas that will be controlled by the larger guilds.  So that pretty much cuts out all the small and independent crafters.   Way to kill the game for most crafters.  

Just like to know if they did any research on why past FFA PvP games failed because they seem to be following the exact same formula that has failed in the past.

As long as they know they are making a niche game, it fits. You cant run with trying to popularize aspects of your game if you are going for a set small part of the market, you instead feed that small part with what they would like which is more forced hard fights.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• NejaaHalHalcyonNejaaHalHalcyon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited November 2015
    Ozmodan said:

Weird point of view, man.