Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The RPG Files: 10 Reasons Why PC is Still the Best Place to Play RPGs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2015 in News & Features Discussion
imageThe RPG Files: 10 Reasons Why PC is Still the Best Place to Play RPGs - Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

There is a longstanding rivalry between console and PC players. Console players like the simplicity of booting up a console and kicking back on the couch. PC players love pushing their games to the limit in every conceivable way. But with the rise of the current PC-like console generation, couch players would have us believe the field is somehow equal. Hah, we say! We at MMORPG love our PCs, so here are the 10 best reasons to play with even a mid-range gaming PC.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• BlixxisBlixxis Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited October 2015
    Unfortunately on the console market the tradition RPG is dead. There is a lot of these games with RPG elements like Fallout. However on the PC market you have dozens of MMORPG's that are virtually identical and play like games that were release 10 years ago or more. Take Dragon's Dogma, its more sophisticated then any PC MMORPG for just an RPG, not sure about RPG's on the PC but you see my point, and the game still has room for a ton of criticism. What do you want, one epic RPG on a console like Ni no Kuni, or 30 WoW and Diablo clones. The market is terrible right now for RPG's for both console and PC. I think everyone is just waiting for that great MMO that will be unlike anything we've seen but instead we just keep getting games with recycled idea's. A lot of these games on consoles are ported to PC any ways, but there developed by console companies, and those games are far more sophisticated then the ones we get as PC inclusive. However there some awesome retro style RPG and action RPG's coming out on PC that I wish was around in SNES days. So both sides may have a strong argument.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    The funniest thing about consoles for me is that PC is also the natural home of the FPS. Mouse+keyb is just flat out better than a controller for pinpoint accuracy in FPS and for speed of aiming too. All FPS games were done on PC until MS bought Bungie and forced them to release Halo as an exclusive for xbox as a way to force their way into the console market, a typically aggressive move that MS are well known for.

I mean really, consoles are for platform games, everything else is better on PC. MMO's on a console, how stupid is that idea?

Proud member of the PC Master Race!
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    The funniest thing about consoles for me is that PC is also the natural home of the FPS. Mouse+keyb is just flat out better than a controller for pinpoint accuracy in FPS and for speed of aiming too. All FPS games were done on PC until MS bought Bungie and forced them to release Halo as an exclusive for xbox as a way to force their way into the console market, a typically aggressive move that MS are well known for.

I mean really, consoles are for platform games, everything else is better on PC. MMO's on a console, how stupid is that idea?

Proud member of the PC Master Race!
    Xim4 - own everyone.
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Hmm....... one of these. Ok so first Id like to say that Im a gamer first and a member of the console "faction" second. That being said I own a PC and enjoy playing on it as well. Heck the most fun Ive had in an RPG in literally years has been recently in Divinity:OS (cant wait for new one). At the same time there are certain games that I cant imagine playing on PC, for instance MGS5. Im also partial to gamepads in general and for some specific games it would almost be blasphemy to play with M+KB. On the other hands I really don't see a vast library of things Id actually want to play on PC. I look through steam about once a month and just see junk, or stuff Im otherwise uninterested in. Ive played 2 PC games this year, one of which was the best experience Ive had in years. Im on my 12th game on my PS4. The only reason why I played the first 2 games on PC was there was not a PS4 version (love my gamepads). And this isn't even getting into Mobile games. And this doesn't include MMOs (don't really like anything, waiting on some Indies to hopefully change that). But I guess I need to look into the steam controller (too bad its only limited to steam)?

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    for me there is no competition. If a console had a game I liked to play I'd play it. I don't care either way. I do prefer a keyboard and mouse, but that is possible on a console so It's all good. I'll be getting an XBONE later this year + xim4. Can't wait. 
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited October 2015
    image the only thing i hate about PC is that sometimes u have to wait months to play some consoles games , thanks god that is changing :chuffed:
  • KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Regarding the Steam Link... what is considered "up to snuff"?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    One of those stating the obvious articles :) 10 reasons why driving a car is faster than walking :p but yeah RPGs is where PCs dominate
    Now wait a minute, what about terrain? If someone can walk on some terrain that is impassable to cars, the person wins. Also, I object to the post following me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I play on pc. My husband plays on xbox. I've played every at least one game every day on this computer for the last six months. My husband hasn't touched the xbox in months. Pc is just better. Easier and cheaper to upgrade, plus mods.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    RPGs are dead. There hasn't been a decent one in years. The first chapter or two of Divinity is decent, but after that it blows. All of these games making money off classic ips are crap. The last decent RPG was the BG series. 15 years ago.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    It doesn't take a steam box to play on your Living Room TV. I have an older system set up in the living room that is a capable gaming machine, with a dual core CPU and, now that I have Win 10, a pair of good DX11 video cards. This machine that could be duplicated in a better, more modern version for about $500 (less if you use your old HDD, DVD drive, case PSU and Windows disc), runs ESO and Wildstar just fine. You don't need a monitor since you are using your TV, and after a while its not hard to have a keyboard on your lap while you use a mouse on your thigh or your belly...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Can save even more money when more and more games coming over to linux. Avoiding buying windows all together.
  • neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    GladDog said:
    It doesn't take a steam box to play on your Living Room TV.
    He said Steam Link, not Steam box. The link is used to stream games from your computer. It's not a gaming device by itself. It's about as cheap as you can get for playing on a TV other than reusing an existing computer.
  • dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited November 2015
    2003 called and wants its PC vs consoles article back.

Seriously? Anyone with a real job can easily afford both. I have a PC and a PS4 and each is better in certain ways for different types of entertainment and games. The only people who need to justify that one is better than the other are people who don't know how to save money properly.

I grew up with PCs my whole life and gamed on them for 20+ years and never had a console until the PS3 generation but have to admit I will probably keep buying a console in the future along with my PC for gaming because it really does have a lot of cool features. If consoles really sucked as much as this article implies then no one would buy them, but they do.

BTW everything this articles states is true, they have a bigger library, mods, etc, except the couch problem. That is still my number 1 fav thing on my console. I have steam, the new steam controller, and my PC hooked up to my 60 inch flat screen and its just not the same. The games are not optimized for big screen or game controllers (which steam link wont fix) and consoles still win big time over consoles for relaxing on your couch playing.

Here is the other reason after gaming on a PC for 20 years I really enjoy consoles: how crappy and buggy modern PCs and PC software has become. My DOS games ran smoother than much of the windows based games today. Sometimes I don't feel like waiting 10 minutes after I turn on my PC for windows, adobe and every other program to update, only to have my game crash because of some odd graphic driver error I then need to spend 45 minutes debugging. Basic usability and bug free gameplay is very nice to have sometimes, hence the console.

TLDR: Both PCs and consoles have their pros and cons and its not as one sided as this article makes it out to be. Just get a real job and you can easily afford both.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Kilmaul said:
    Regarding the Steam Link... what is considered "up to snuff"?
    Very little or unnoticeable latency. From what I'm reading, when you have a hard wired connection (no WiFi) it is very playable. Probably not the best for twitch shooters where milliseconds mean life or death, but for many games, particularly RPGs, it makes couch play totally viable. It should be said that if the game doesn't offer controller support, you'll need to look into a Steam Controller which emulates KB/M or a cheap wireless setup.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited November 2015

Seriously? Anyone with a real job can easily afford both. I have a PC and a PS4 and each is better in certain ways for different types of entertainment and games. The only people who need to justify that one is better than the other are people who don't know how to save money properly.

TLDR: Both PCs and consoles have their pros and cons and its not as one sided as this article makes it out to be. Just get a real job and you can easily afford both.

This isn't a fair line of thinking. Either one is hundreds of dollars, which for many people means saving over multiple paychecks if they can swing it at all. Even if you got each platform for its cheapest, you're still talking upwards of $700 with no games, which is more than many people can justify for gaming (or their families/SOs). I am lucky enough to have both and I talk about the positives in the article a little bit too. With a kid in the house, I love being able to pop onto my PS4 easily, then suspend it and come back later when I need to. When I have more time, want to play a mouse/KB game, I use my PC. Not everyone is as lucky or values gaming as highly.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    There are pluses and minuses to both but IMHO PCs have the edge because of indie studios making good RPGs for PCs. Too many games focus on "realistic" graphics at the cost of gameplay. If you value a fun game over photo-realism PCs are the way to go.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I agree with everything this article wrote :-)...and I have both a high end PC and a PS4. The PS4 collects dust. I'll use it again when the PS Virtual Reality comes out next year...even though Oculus Rift will probably be better.

There Is Always Hope!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good article. The only thing I wouldn't agree with is I've seen a lot of bad ports come out lately. So bad that I now wait until after launch to look at reviews before deciding to buy. There was a time when I had all three but the pc can do a lot of things well plus gaming, so I think money is better spent on a pc.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    GladDog said:
    It doesn't take a steam box to play on your Living Room TV. I have an older system set up in the living room that is a capable gaming machine, with a dual core CPU and, now that I have Win 10, a pair of good DX11 video cards. This machine that could be duplicated in a better, more modern version for about $500 (less if you use your old HDD, DVD drive, case PSU and Windows disc), runs ESO and Wildstar just fine. You don't need a monitor since you are using your TV, and after a while its not hard to have a keyboard on your lap while you use a mouse on your thigh or your belly...
    Been playing like this for almost 5 years. 60" television screen up top, and 32" on the bottom, all jacked into my PC (and consoles) through multiple HDMI outputs. Mouse, keyboard, headset are all wireless, so I can hang out on my big comfy chair and not hunched over a desk for hours. The future rocks. Have to add, that while I still utilize my PS4 and definitely like certain titles, I am still at about at 90% on my PC for time spent, about 8% on my PS4 and about 2% on my tablet and 3DS.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I agree but i'm a gamer so i have a PC and an PS4 plus a first generation AlienWare steam machine.

• c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

I grew up with PCs my whole life and gamed on them for 20+ years and never had a console until the PS3 generation but have to admit I will probably keep buying a console in the future along with my PC for gaming because it really does have a lot of cool features. If consoles really sucked as much as this article implies then no one would buy them, but they do.

BTW everything this articles states is true, they have a bigger library, mods, etc, except the couch problem. That is still my number 1 fav thing on my console. I have steam, the new steam controller, and my PC hooked up to my 60 inch flat screen and its just not the same. The games are not optimized for big screen or game controllers (which steam link wont fix) and consoles still win big time over consoles for relaxing on your couch playing.

Here is the other reason after gaming on a PC for 20 years I really enjoy consoles: how crappy and buggy modern PCs and PC software has become. My DOS games ran smoother than much of the windows based games today. Sometimes I don't feel like waiting 10 minutes after I turn on my PC for windows, adobe and every other program to update, only to have my game crash because of some odd graphic driver error I then need to spend 45 minutes debugging. Basic usability and bug free gameplay is very nice to have sometimes, hence the console.

You must not be in business. Companies don't market to weak-minded fools like you. They target the average household for the appropriate demographic. Simply put, most people in the world cannot afford both, they'd be happy if they could afford one. And they have real jobs, regardless of what you think. Try thinking of others before you run your mouth like that or someone is likely to close it for you.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    'PC is best' article on a predominantly MMO site? Way to walk out on that limb MMORPG.com ;)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The author of the article should be a little bit more specific. PC is the best platform to play WESTERN RPGs because of the mods. I personally prefer JRPGs over western RPGs so the PC is the last platform i would think of. Also, regardless of any type of RPG, i would not give up on physical discs for steam... ever. RPG is my favorite genre and i will always collect RPGs on my shelves. Steam doesnt sell me discs.