Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devilian - review after an hour...

Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
I was initially excited about this upcoming game, until I played it... I can normally give a new game I play several hours until I come to an honest review but this was atrocious from the start leaving me no choice but to give up on it after an hour.

I was first greeted by autowalk after logging in, not a good first impression especially after i just found out that all characters are gender locked too. After autowalking through the first 5 levels which took maybe 4 minutes tops, I was transported to a "city" or rather a hub at best. Here I find it's an item mall nightmare as the past several Trion games have been. I don't for the life of me understand someone who would pay money to use "megaphones" to talk in global chat?? Do people actually buy this? Why is this trash type of gameplay still being made? Every damn thing was an item mall. Want a new skill tab, item mall. Talk in global chat, gotta pay for that. Get some health potions? Well luckily there's an item mall for that! The list goes on and on and on. EVERYTHING is an item mall. 

These "Games" are the worst thing to ever hit the market. Was it so hard for this game to just duplicate a normal ARPG model? Just have us buy the damned box and take your hands back from free handouts. Nothing infuriates me more than playing a game and having the game ask for for money every step of the way. People need to start boycotting this trash so it disappears forever...

*Here's to hoping my standards get lower or they start making better games.*

Comments

• UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Don't play Asian games that Trion puts their hands on.

Something Awful this way comes.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    lol .. you spent an HOUR on it?

If you get into a hub of item mall in the first 4 min (as you said), you should have just quit then.

There are many other f2p games that you can play for a lot longer without being bothered by an item mall. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Meh, I had a fun time playing it. Autorun in a game like this is quality of life imo. Megaphones can be acquired in other ways, but you don't need to talk in global to have a fun time do you? I have like 1000 health pots, I have no reason to buy them with real $?

Don't know what to say, game market is tough competition right now. The people who really like a game will shell out lots of $$ this much has been proven. People who don't will leave. You didn't lose any money did you? 

I have been burned on box prices many a time, doesn't mean I think that selling a game in a box is evil and bad for gaming.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    edited October 2015
    Uziduke said:
    Just like archeage, trion did not kill the game. Archeage had to wait for the devs in another country to fix problems. They simply hosted the game. Although I do agree with labor and land owning complaints being patron based.

As for Devillian, I believe the host country already took the servers down because it failed. At least I read that somewhere. Why they expected it to work in NA is beyond me.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Uziduke said:
    Just like archeage, trion did not kill the game. Archeage had to wait for the devs in another country to fix problems. They simply hosted the game. Although I do agree with labor and land owning complaints being patron based.

As for Devillian, I believe the host country already took the servers down because it failed. At least I read that somewhere. Why they expected it to work in NA is beyond me.
    Sorry but that is absolute bull. Why anyone continues to give Trion a pass on their last few debacles baffles me.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    It's Diablo with boobs ^^
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I felt bad like I was playing a "android tablet" game.   Everything cash shop......  Meh.

• R3dbudR3dbud Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I was initially excited about this upcoming game, until I played it... I can normally give a new game I play several hours until I come to an honest review but this was atrocious from the start leaving me no choice but to give up on it after an hour.

I was first greeted by autowalk after logging in, not a good first impression especially after i just found out that all characters are gender locked too. After autowalking through the first 5 levels which took maybe 4 minutes tops, I was transported to a "city" or rather a hub at best. Here I find it's an item mall nightmare as the past several Trion games have been. I don't for the life of me understand someone who would pay money to use "megaphones" to talk in global chat?? Do people actually buy this? Why is this trash type of gameplay still being made? Every damn thing was an item mall. Want a new skill tab, item mall. Talk in global chat, gotta pay for that. Get some health potions? Well luckily there's an item mall for that! The list goes on and on and on. EVERYTHING is an item mall. 

These "Games" are the worst thing to ever hit the market. Was it so hard for this game to just duplicate a normal ARPG model? Just have us buy the damned box and take your hands back from free handouts. Nothing infuriates me more than playing a game and having the game ask for for money every step of the way. People need to start boycotting this trash so it disappears forever...

Maybe you should PLAY the game, and stop talking bs about stuff that is not even 1% true...

The game has its drawbacks, no doubt, and it will be a niche game. But heal pots are no big deal and deff not from the shop, megaphones are more of a way to keep spammers/bots/goldsellers out you get so many later on  you could discuss god and the world with it.

And everyone who is still salty about AA, dont buy the hype and do your research before you hype a game. AA was even worse before it came to the west (not saying Trion was doing everything right, but the core mechanics are not in their hands period, same goes for certain otehr stuff. Same as it is for Devilian.) 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2015
    Trion is a crap company that doesnt deserve your time or money,much better options out there for an arpg than DO
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm getting so good I could review these games without even playing them.  None of this surprises me.
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    My complaint with the game was not only the item mall, but the Vindictus feel....the keyboard only option for skills, I'm sorry but I am used to and like the clicking of my skills on the hotbar with the mouse, I am NOT used to nor coordinated enough to the keyboard layout. I HATE it.... Didn't like the gender only option for classes either. LOL@Diablo with boobs comment by the way  :)   
  • gearchin13gearchin13 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    DMKano said:
    I find it quite fun, also yes - this is one of those games that doesn't get good until you get to mid 30s as its all a tutorial for the first 20 levels. 

Why korean games have these long tutorials i don't really understand. 

the game should be fun from the get go, it shouldnt take 30 levels for it to finally be "fun". The game  at best is a browser arpg trying to be a 'good" client based arpg. The gameplay, in the game revolves around stamina for dungeons, which alot of browser based/cash shop heavy arpgs rely on.
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    My complaint with the game was not only the item mall, but the Vindictus feel....the keyboard only option for skills, I'm sorry but I am used to and like the clicking of my skills on the hotbar with the mouse, I am NOT used to nor coordinated enough to the keyboard layout. I HATE it.... Didn't like the gender only option for classes either. LOL@Diablo with boobs comment by the way  :)   
    Not sure if serious?? You understand it's an action game, you don't have time to click skills?
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I read everything I need to know to give this a pass at gender-locking and auto walking. The rest is just compounding on an already terrible base.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

That bad, huh?  Damn ....
    Funny I got into the open beta the one that is going on now. I felt the same way. Not so much about spending money on everything. It was just really not that good. This is of course my opinion though. I think people will be really dissappointed when this comes out. I do wish there was another ARPG on the horizon. I wish this was good as well, but I mean...so many things are just off with this game.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    It's a fun time waster. Gender and race locking needs to go bye-bye though. I shouldn't be stuck as a damned loli just to play the class I want. 

I like the fact that it feels more like an MMO than its western competitors, but other than that there's just no reason to play it over Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Victor Vran, Van Helsing, Grim Dawn, Marvel Heroes, etc. I just don't see it catching on here; the genre is packed with amazing titles, with more (WH40K Inquisitor) on the way. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    All I can keep thinking is there are people that paid 150 bucks to play this LMAO!!!
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Well you can not expect much from a Korean made game that did not even do good in Korea. Kind of speaks volumes about the game when the country / market it was made for wouldn't even play the game.

It's just nothing more then a simple easy cash grab for Trion. As long as they can turn a buck on it for next to nothing then they will continue to push out this garbage and use the excuse that they have no control over the game they can just offer suggestions to its developers.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I lasted about 10-15 minutes.
    I don't remember what exactly but something miffed me about their Glyph program as well besides the fact that it thinks i am logging in from a different location EVERY single time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I typically leave feedback on games that I have gotten the chance to play beta.  I like to help steer the right direction even though the beta phase is typically too late for real change.   This is not a game.  It is mindless grinding with autorun.  The dungeons are a cakewalk.  The ai is non existent.  I have nothing to say positive about this game.  There is no depth.  Items are boring.  Not sure why Trion picked up this game.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I thought this title would hold a candle to ELOA, but nope.  I played both for about the same amount of time, but I was actually engaged with ELOA.  Trion  did good with Trove.  Maybe this business is just to help pay the bills along the way.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    It wasn't that bad. I probably won't purchase it though. I played it last weekend up to level 25.

Heath Pots -  can be crafted easily. I had a surplus of them and purchases nothing in the item mall.
    Autowalk - meh, whatever
    Megaphones - saves everyone from gold spammers and trolls.
  • aedanrexaedanrex Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @Aori Its sad to see how these new games are made, i thought that Devillian would be different and bring back the good rpg, i was wrong....

ToS is going great and i cant wait to play it in final release stage too...
  • patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    ELOA is definitely better. It's more skill based, you can avoid all attacks and you have alot of CC skills. In Devilian you can't avoid normal attacks. If they swing at you, they automatically hit. Ranged attacks just magically curve and hit you.

For transformations, in ELOA it is simply a stats buff and 1 additional skill, and it last long enough to clear several dungeons and raids. In Devilian, it is a totally different character with its own skills and even gear. I don't understand that, what's the point when it is so temporary? It should have been a simple stats buff. I don't wanna work on a character and be skilled at it just to have my most powerful form be totally different.

ELOA isn't perfect, it has alot of flaws but I definitely prefer it.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    The sucks..end of thread :p