Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone quit? Anything negative on the game yet?

ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
Has anyone quit this pre-alpha and been vocal about it?  Has anything negative been said?

Everything that I have seen or heard has been super positive on a game that's only ~22 weeks old (not even a single player console game would be playable at this age, right?).

Comments

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Lol how can you quit a game or complain about it if it's not even in alpha.  I have very low expectations of the game.  I've been disappointed 100 out of 100 times since WoW.  With my low expectations, I have a lot better chance of being pleasantly surprised.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    If any tester quit so far, he certainly wasn't vocal!? Have in mind that people playing (pre-Alpha with Alpha one also invited) invested lots of money and likely also time following and learning about the game etc. while being very well aware of what pre-Alpha is.

Point being, I expect "vocal quitters" later on, with much more players testing and with game slowly losing that "It's only (pre) Alpha" excuse.

Speaking of negative stuff, lots of it was said and is being said still, in the form of feedback on bugs, performance, expectations and so on - you have lots of threads on CF forums about all kinds of complains and suggestions.
     W...aaagh?
  • ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Sorry I am used to the "Darkfall" community which was very negative even in alpha/beta phases.  All I see is positive positive positive for this game.  Including in streams and reviews.  Sure, its not in alpha yet, but there has to be something bad or is it to early even with its development being so open?
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Darkfall has the most massive amount of complainers of any game I've ever tried.  It's painful and annoying to listen to them whine nonstop about everything they can possibly think of lol.  I really hope crowfall lives up to expectations
    (Un)fortunately any concrete negative stuff is either constructive feedback or covered with "it's only pre-Alpha".

Speaking of general negative remarks, actually I saw lots of negative "feedback" from people on MMORPG.com, reddits (but, OFC, not Crowfall reddit), in Youtube comments etc. for example:

• standard prejudice against free for all / full loot games being "historically doomed to fail" (you know these remarks very well from comments about DF I guess)
    • standard prejudice against Kickstarters (scam, vaporware, "A fool and his money..." etc.)
    • "making MMO for only $2.4M? lol" (BTW $2.4M is only the pledgemeter, Crowfall's total budget is currently close to $6M, and OFC rising)
    • standard "Pay to Win" accusations, refering to CF's cash shop forts, castles, $10k KS packages etc.
    • Making MMO with Unity? lol (CF's engine is Unity 5, and some people think that the Unity engine is very bad choice for large scale PvP MMO)
    • All kinds of bad comments and lols from people unaware that this is pre-Alpha, and/or thinking that CF is some kind of crappy/buggy MOBA (it kinda looks like that at this point)
    • People still angry & bitter on Gordon Walton for what they think he's done to SWG or UO (Trammel), predicting that similar carebear "twist" will happen to CF
    • ...etc. (I'm likely forgotting a lot, but these are IMO the most common)
     W...aaagh?
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    James  2.4 million is plenty for Indie companies, they do not have the over head that AAA companies do...

Unity is a great engine and fine for an MMO, if you have good programmers you can make frame works for MMO's just like Gloria Victis  has.  SP?

I for one been a gaming programmer for over a decade and use Unity, among many other engines, our company is using Unity and making a open world game with Unity and having no issues, because we know what we are doing. Just like Crow Fall does..

People who try and bash Unity clearly have no idea how to use it... professionally..
  • RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Quit...pre-alpha? What.
    James  2.4 million is plenty for Indie companies, they do not have the over head that AAA companies do...

Unity is a great engine and fine for an MMO, if you have good programmers you can make frame works for MMO's just like Gloria Victis  has.  SP?

I for one been a gaming programmer for over a decade and use Unity, among many other engines, our company is using Unity and making a open world game with Unity and having no issues, because we know what we are doing. Just like Crow Fall does..

People who try and bash Unity clearly have no idea how to use it... professionally..
    I also hope CF will manage to make Unity work, but real test of it will be battles with hundreds of players, full environment/effects/destruction and all that, which lies IMO at least 6+ months in the future.

Speaking of budget, I would assess their total pre-launch budget around $10M, and Gordon's assessment of money needed to deliver the core game was $6M (which they, as I said, already have) thou I'm sure they'll put the extra millions to good use.
     W...aaagh?
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    This is actually one of the few games to come out in the past four years that I'm truly excited about.

I have a couple of issues with this game such as the racially and gender locked classes, but the game play intrigues me a lot.  The thought of fighting for a while on one planet/continent(?) and then having a winner/loser and starting over on another sounds pretty fun.

I hadn't been to the web site in a few weeks and I just noticed that they're now calling Crowfall a Throne War Simulator... whatever that means.  I guess it has something to do with there being a player designed and enforced power structure with a ruling class.  Maybe I can turn my tens years of experience in leading hundreds of EVE players in battle into ruling one of these kingdoms(?).

I think my biggest problem with Crowfall is that information surrounding it is kinda vague and leaves more questions than it answers.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    I don't know of anyone that has "quit" pre-alpha, but there have been a few that have received refunds or sold their backer packages due to company policy. More to do with not being able to say whatever they want to fellow fans or devs and less to do with the game. Drama...

Again no quitters, but I've seen several folks complain or have issue with the combat and what not (myself included), but it is early on and hopefully it "improves" or becomes what some have imagined it will be like.

Which is a problem all games have, people hype themselves up and imagine a game functions a particular way and when it doesn't, the game is a fail or whatever.

Luckily they plan to continue working on combat and aren't just moving on to the next box to check off.
  • ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Everything negative I've seen about CF stems from Ignorance and a lack of basic understanding of how development works. Lots of stupid about in the world as usual.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited October 2015
    well what happens in many games is, things are peachy in alpha, and beta, then the people who have spent lots of money to get into alpha and beta, or even people who didnt spend money but have spent a lot of time in alpha and beta get upset because the game gets released and is missing things they were told would be in the game.  

it could happen in this game, but as of now, i think the playerbase might still think/believe they are going to get everything they have been told they would get.  so this is still the euphoria phase i think.  

i've been following this game on and off throughout the months.  i'm anticipating the wave of vocal people who are upset with the way the game turned out when this game gets to closed beta.  normally people cast them off as haters, but those guys have lots of good info about the way the game actually is.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2015
    People that pay money up front would be pretty easily satisfied,after all they were satisfied paying while having seen nothing at all,can't be easier satisfied than that.
    No i have not seen actual game play but i have seen enough that to me it does not look that great.Pvp alone ruins it for me,like 99% ruins it for me.But that is the easiest form of content to make,well it's not really even content,it is just a flag players to pvp and nothing more.

Like most games the last year or so,they are banking more on trying to find some way to entice cash shop use.They are banking all their profits on selling plots and seeing that housing ideas have been VERY slack or completely missing,it is an easy sell to a starving community.However to someone like me,your not selling anything but a solid game,i don't play games just because i can buy a plot,or a space ship or any other item.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Wizardry said:
    People that pay money up front would be pretty easily satisfied,after all they were satisfied paying while having seen nothing at all,can't be easier satisfied than that.
    No i have not seen actual game play but i have seen enough that to me it does not look that great.Pvp alone ruins it for me,like 99% ruins it for me.But that is the easiest form of content to make,well it's not really even content,it is just a flag players to pvp and nothing more.

Like most games the last year or so,they are banking more on trying to find some way to entice cash shop use.They are banking all their profits on selling plots and seeing that housing ideas have been VERY slack or completely missing,it is an easy sell to a starving community.However to someone like me,your not selling anything but a solid game,i don't play games just because i can buy a plot,or a space ship or any other item.

VIP aka optional sub will probably bring in a decent amount of cash, on top of any cash shop stuff.

"PVP content" is not easy to make. The majority of PVP first mmorpgs have done pretty poorly in comparison to the mindless PVE grinders out. With only arena/instanced PVP drawing folks in.

Getting combat to be engaging and skill based along with making some reason for fans to keep coming back after winning/losing countless times seems to be pretty difficult in this genre.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Why are you interested in fishing for negative comments.
    goboygo said:
    Why are you interested in fishing for negative comments?
    Hearing too much (or only) good stuff is actually a big red flag to me.

In fact that's exactly how I came to MMORPG.com, I knew I'll learn much more from "that cesspool" than some official forums or reddits.
     W...aaagh?
  • JollyClaretJollyClaret Member UncommonPosts: 46
    There is so much we haven't seen of the game yet don't expect quitters or at least justified ones for at least a year
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Parepin said:
    Sorry I am used to the "Darkfall" community which was very negative even in alpha/beta phases.  All I see is positive positive positive for this game.  Including in streams and reviews.  Sure, its not in alpha yet, but there has to be something bad or is it to early even with its development being so open?
    Lol, game looks like it could be fun but its barebones at the moment and has no soul. We'll see how the game really is upon later builds.

MurderHerd

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Will this game have huge fights or is it going to revolve around instances (battles) of 40ish players that contribute to a war effort (campaign).

Essentially I am looking for a game where at least a 100 people are fighting in the same place. I have only seen alpha but the way w/e people have access to now seems the game is going to revolve around people setting rulesets for their little instances.
    Soarlozer said:
    Will this game have huge fights or is it going to revolve around instances (battles) of 40ish players that contribute to a war effort (campaign).

Essentially I am looking for a game where at least a 100 people are fighting in the same place. I have only seen alpha but the way w/e people have access to now seems the game is going to revolve around people setting rulesets for their little instances.
    @Soarlozer They plan to have massive battles with hundreds of players, thou the engine optimization is still in a very early phase (alpha tests didn't even begin yet).

Currently, 10-15 players together cause significant FPS drop rate - and I believe that something like 30-50 close enough would crash the server.

But again, these are just the basic combat tests and we will have much better feeling of Crowfall's scale in beta - which is in my opinion at least a year ahead of us (no matter that this December is enlisted as launch date, this should be corrected soon enough).
     W...aaagh?
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    It's pretty hard to credit any quitting in an early production like this, there's a lot of room for radical changes, so even if someone was really upset, they're being hasty to "quit" on a game in it's infancy. 

I'm probably more dissatisfied than most, they advertised more strategy than what's demonstrated, they show off centaurs and fairies but don't implement cavalry or flight, they claimed they'd imminent friendly fire but they're pursuing development without it. It's not all "on the way", some stuff just isn't being done.

But to quit over specific features in a game you've yet to even try is premature. A game isn't good because of something specific, while they have promises to keep, what really matters is how good the actual experience ends up being. 

Ppl have "quit", as in lost interest in the game, but for the actual backers... it's a retail game they already paid for, so there's no reason not to try it and see how it goes, and more reason to coerce their interests during development to actually get what they want if they're unhappy. 

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Parepin said:
    Darkfall was a bit special with it's vocal complainers. For some reason they had such a hardcore audience, and then they had the exact opposite. The people who were so into hating on the game that it created it's own community. I remember the forums on the subscriber portion of Darkfall being relatively positive, while the non sub forums were just LITTERED with hate all the time 24/7. It was like a game for them to consistently post about every bad thing ever. It was strange.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Wizardry said:
    Pvp alone ruins it for me,like 99% ruins it for me.But that is the easiest form of content to make,well it's not really even content,it is just a flag players to pvp and nothing more.

So why would you follow a game (and post in it's forums) when from day one it was advertised as PvP?  Play To Crush... doesn't really leave a lot of room for ambiguity.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Wizardry said:
    Pvp alone ruins it for me,like 99% ruins it for me.But that is the easiest form of content to make,well it's not really even content,it is just a flag players to pvp and nothing more.

So why would you follow a game (and post in it's forums) when from day one it was advertised as PvP?  Play To Crush... doesn't really leave a lot of room for ambiguity.
    Oh you know these carebear types, they have 100x Pve carebear games out on the market but those aren't enough, EVERY title that comes out has to cater to them with no or limited pvp.
    Then on the same coin bitch and moan about the genre being stagnant nothing is new its all carbon copy clones.
    I call it the I wish i wasn't bad syndrome or, The i wish i could Aim Syndrome, or the Everyone should win even if you lose mindset that's so popular in America today. (Giving losing children sport teams a trophy for trying, Making obese people models and saying they are beautiful.) 

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

The general premise of how Crowfall is played seems very innovative and refreshing. The world(s) essentially run campaigns for months then there are winners and loses and they are procedurally rebuilt and played again, with same characters. The game world go through seasons where things change, like looting is better in one season and the monsters are crazy in another. You can choose to "Realm v Realm" is several different reals which have different rule sets on looting and grouping etc.

Honestly it sounds like a better version of Camelot unchained, it also has 1500 skills

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!