Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - How Players Will Soon Tackle Big Problems in Science

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion
imageEVE Online - How Players Will Soon Tackle Big Problems in Science - Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games - MMORPG.com

The Human Protein Atlas has a problem. In its database exists over 13 million images that need mapping, and there just simply aren't enough scientists to do it. But in the coming months, EVE Online players will be able to channel their passion for science fiction into solving this problem.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    edited October 2015
    Trust one of the most hostile communities to accomplish work with honesty and integrity. Yeah. Okay. Prepare to get griefed scientists.
  • shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Trust one of the most hostile communities to accomplish work with honesty and integrity. Yeah. Okay. Prepare to get griefed scientists.
    you have really no clue about the eve community do you?
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Didn't you know dude, "there is no griefing in EVE"?. If someone does figure out a way to mess with Science-tists by doing this little mini-game that would be pretty funny. If a way is there, they will find it.
  • ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    What exactly does this article have to do with "Free Mobile MMORPG List and MMO Games"? This is a link to an EVE news feed.  Please don't post articles with misleading titles like this.....
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Kinda wish I was still playing EVE. This is a pretty neat idea and it's nice that they're trying to work it into the lore and backstory, not just throwing it in there out of the blue.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited October 2015
    EVE is pretty much a real world society simulator. I take it you have no RL friends and think the whole world is out there to get you?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Muke said:
    EVE is pretty much a real world society simulator. I take it you have no RL friends and think the whole world is out there to get you?
    Thank you for proving my point fellow eve player. Yes, I've been playing for almost 6 years.
    shukolade said:
    you have really no clue about the eve community do you?
    Burn jita, hulkageddon.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    They should hand over mostly already categorized images, to make it easy to determine the quality of the community effort.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Burn jita, hulkageddon.
    EVE University, Rookie Channel, Plex for Haiti..

Your point?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Didn't you know dude, "there is no griefing in EVE"?. If someone does figure out a way to mess with Science-tists by doing this little mini-game that would be pretty funny. If a way is there, they will find it.
    There is no griefing in EVE ™  everyone knows that.  =)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    "Passion for science fiction"? In EVE-Online? That's a good joke if there's such a thing when it comes to EVE. A game filled with griefers and kids that will do anything to blow a mining barge / exhumer up just for the joy of shinning up their killboard a little more, either you're in High or Low sec, doesn't matter, you'll lose your ship, running missions in high sec? Don't worry, you'll lose that also. EVE's a joke, it used to be great 5-6 years back but CCP's moto of "Rules and EULAs out the window" has costed them dearly over the years and it's reputation took a deep nose dive. For those who do like open world PvP with no real gain and constantly having to look over your shoulder to not get blown up, EVE's for you. If you're not in to PvP much like about 85% of the MMO community (if not more), EVE has nothing to offer you beside rage quits. EVE online is all about paranoia and out numbering your opponent 20 to 1. *sigh* Just the thought of it when I used to play makes me sick, having to wait for hours on the Fleet leader to give the OK to jump in to enemy territory to screw them up 300 to 10 ... ROFL, yeah, you need some "mad" skillZ to play EVE-Online, a real joke. Did I feel joy when we warped in 300+ ships to blow up a dozen players? Not at all, I felt pretty stupid. Killboards really destroyed the dynamic of EVE-Online. It's all about shinning up that killboard real good, sad thing is that no one gives a darn but most EVE players are still in denial.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2015
    EVE Online NPC corp chat, right now:
    http://postimg.org/image/75y2mw8nn/

Yeah, what an asshole giving new players some ISK...

EDIT: No worries, I filed the report already.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    BigRambo said:
    "Passion for science fiction"? In EVE-Online? That's a good joke if there's such a thing when it comes to EVE. A game filled with griefers and kids that will do anything to blow a mining barge / exhumer up just for the joy of shinning up their killboard a little more, either you're in High or Low sec, doesn't matter, you'll lose your ship, running missions in high sec? Don't worry, you'll lose that also. EVE's a joke, it used to be great 5-6 years back but CCP's moto of "Rules and EULAs out the window" has costed them dearly over the years and it's reputation took a deep nose dive. For those who do like open world PvP with no real gain and constantly having to look over your shoulder to not get blown up, EVE's for you. If you're not in to PvP much like about 85% of the MMO community (if not more), EVE has nothing to offer you beside rage quits. EVE online is all about paranoia and out numbering your opponent 20 to 1. *sigh* Just the thought of it when I used to play makes me sick, having to wait for hours on the Fleet leader to give the OK to jump in to enemy territory to screw them up 300 to 10 ... ROFL, yeah, you need some "mad" skillZ to play EVE-Online, a real joke. Did I feel joy when we warped in 300+ ships to blow up a dozen players? Not at all, I felt pretty stupid. Killboards really destroyed the dynamic of EVE-Online. It's all about shinning up that killboard real good, sad thing is that no one gives a darn but most EVE players are still in denial.
    I think i can say, without a shadow of doubt, that you have no idea about Eve Online, if you perhaps tried the game, you would have a more accurate viewpoint, but its okay, as i really doubt Eve is the kind of game for you, its a very socially orientated game.
    As for Killboards spoiling the dynamic of the game, that has to be the weirdest argument ever. Even your comments about CCP have no basis, if you hate the game, thats fine, but don't make up things, particularly when they are so obviously false.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2015
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=443303&find=unread What is Broadcast 4 Reps (sometimes referred to as Broadcast For Reps)? It is a reminder to all those that have thoughts of suicide or hurting themselves that we, as your community, want you to reach out and get help. There are many resources that players have created or provided that you can use, including an in-game chat channel (join one of the channels "Broadcast 4 Reps" or "Broadcast For Reps"). You can pop in this channel and talk to the room, or even ask for someone to chat with 1 on 1. There are moderators in every timezone, and there is almost always someone willing to listen. None of us are professionals (though some may have training). We are simply fellow players who are willing to listen and talk should you reach out. o7
    CCP Scarpia went on to describe all of the charity drives that players and CCP have organized over the years, including Plex For Good which raised over $100,000 earlier this year to support disaster relief efforts following a series of earthquakes that devastated the country of Nepal. Plex for Good was the seventh time the community has banded together, raising over $470,000 in total.
    Read the posts above.....bad community???? One thing most people don't get about Eve. In game, they will be ruthless. Outside of game, they will support you, help you, buy you a beer and chuckle over things in game. They will be your friend. o7
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Read the posts above.....bad community???? One thing most people don't get about Eve. In game, they will be ruthless. Outside of game, they will support you, help you, buy you a beer and chuckle over things in game. They will be your friend. o7
    This video says it really well:

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited October 2015
    Loktofeit said:

So this is what the supposedly nice people will do to people in game, i would hate to see what the horrible ones would do.
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

So this is what the supposedly nice people will do to people in game, i would hate to see what the horrible ones would do.
    Never play Monopoly, RISK, or Axis and Allies, AnnaTS. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

I have only played one of them games and that is monopoly, i don't know how what them people said in the video is anyway the same as monopoly.

One person said they would scam you of everything you own, really like scamming people is a good thing too do. lol

After they said all the nice things they would do to people 1 guy said i will laugh at you afterwards then a girl said i may write about it on the forum, so they could belittle the person they did it too ?

AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

I have only played one of them games and that is monopoly, i don't know how what them people said in the video is anyway the same as monopoly.

One person said they would scam you of everything you own, really like scamming people is a good thing too do. lol

After they said all the nice things they would do to people 1 guy said i will laugh at you afterwards then a girl said i may write about it on the forum, so they could belittle the person they did it too ?

Take any tabletop game, board game or other strategy game with 3 or more players. Deceit, treachery, and all sorts of duplicity comes into play. If your siblings worked together to drive you bankrupt first in Monopoly, would you see that as an act of malice or a decent strategy?

What if one of them told you they were trading properties with you to help you out, but really they were trying to acquire good properties to trade to the other one? What if they were just tricking you into selling something for far less than it's worth? Or making a trade with you for a price that you can't pass up, only to realize they were doing that to leave you low on cash as you came up on their hotelled orange properties?

Whether family, friends, or fellow gamers, afterwards you shake hands, say gg, and maybe go get a beer, right? 

AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

The only thing you got out of the video (people talking about helping people contemplating suicide) was people acting bad in game. Nice way to twist it to troll.

Methinks MMORPG.COM has taken the award for the worst community.
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

Take any tabletop game, board game or other strategy game with 3 or more players. Deceit, treachery, and all sorts of duplicity comes into play. If your siblings worked together to drive you bankrupt first in Monopoly, would you see that as an act of malice or a decent strategy?

What if one of them told you they were trading properties with you to help you out, but really they were trying to acquire good properties to trade to the other one? What if they were just tricking you into selling something for far less than it's worth? Or making a trade with you for a price that you can't pass up, only to realize they were doing that to leave you low on cash as you came up on their hotelled orange properties?

Whether family, friends, or fellow gamers, afterwards you shake hands, say gg, and maybe go get a beer, right? 
    I haven't played monopoly in ages but i don't think my experience was a horible one as i remember laughing so hard the last time i played i actually peed myself a little lol, all i can remember it was me, my sister, my brother and a friend of my sisters playing not sure what i found so funny maybe it was something what someone said while we were playing.

Gaming is suppose to be an enjoyable experience.
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Loktofeit said:
      v=MaL-66nHN9c

The only thing you got out of the video (people talking about helping people contemplating suicide) was people acting bad in game. Nice way to twist it to troll.

Methinks MMORPG.COM has taken the award for the worst community.
    I actually suffer from depression myself, but i don't see how what they said would be an enjoyable experience for others.

Actually there is a bit of irony here most of the things they said they would do to people would most likely make some people depressed from playing the game, really someone would laugh at someone after they had done something not very nice to them, so that would make the other person feel great do you think ?