Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Park - Funcom's Secret World Spin-Off is Worth Experiencing - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Park - Funcom's Secret World Spin-Off is Worth Experiencing - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

This review is going to be a bit different from our usual fare on MMORPG. For one reason, the Park isn’t so much a game as it is an interactive movie, and a short one at that. You’ll probably only need 1-2 hours to play through Lorraine’s nightmarish experience, but if you’re a fan of Funcom’s Horror MMORPG The Secret World, it’s more than worth the price of admission.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I liked The Park as that was always one of my favorite quest areas in TSW. The game was disquieting but not all that scary. Still I have paid a LOT more money for games that I spent a lot less time in and didn't enjoy nearly as much so all in all I think it did well.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Thanks Bill.  I will pick this up at some point... probably the winter steam sale :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    So, it's a bit more Dear Esther than Amnesia? Is that a fair conclusion?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Pratt2112 said:

Yep!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Dear Esther + Silent Hills = The Park. worth a try thanks to it's reasonable price specially for TSW fans but it had much more potential. Funcom is just out of touch i guess.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Is it more like Dear Esther or more like Vanishing of Ethan Carter? How much interaction is there with the world?
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yanocchi said:
    Is it more like Dear Esther or more like Vanishing of Ethan Carter? How much interaction is there with the world?

Little. As the article said, you just kind of experience things as they happen. It's a sort of thought experiment for Funcom. Testing Unreal 4.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2015
    Gretelda said:
    Dear Esther + Silent Hills = The Park. worth a try thanks to it's reasonable price specially for TSW fans but it had much more potential. Funcom is just out of touch i guess.
    The dev vids and the description described The Park exactly as they wanted to make it. Methinks the "had much more potential" was you ignoring what was said and trying to pass off your opinion of what they should do as them being out of touch. I hope The Park does well enough for Funcom to start exploring more TSW characters in this style. I would easily pony up more $$.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Play this, then play The Secret World mission The Seven Silences.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I love horror movies and games but I am also clinically depressed and Im not entirely sure watching this would be a good move for me as it follows someone breaking down I believe which is very close to home. Any advice?
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    UgUgUg said:
    I love horror movies and games but I am also clinically depressed and Im not entirely sure watching this would be a good move for me as it follows someone breaking down I believe which is very close to home. Any advice?
    I would speak to the medical/social professional who is in charge of your care, rather than ask a group of largely-anonymous gamers on an internet site.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited October 2015
    Pratt2112 said:

Yep!
    Interesting. Might need to check that out. I did enjoy TSW when I was playing it.. and that park was pretty damn creepy.

And anyway, I found Dear Esther to be pretty haunting in its own way.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Dear Esther lacked interaction with the world. Player can only move around and listen to a narration. In Vanishing of Ethan Carter you could also read notes, ride some vehicles and interact with objects.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

UgUgUg said:
    I would speak to the medical/social professional who is in charge of your care, rather than ask a group of largely-anonymous gamers on an internet site.
    Im asking people who have seen it rather than someone who hasnt to find out opinion if it really is heavy on the breakdown psychology or if it just touches a little on it but is mostly just a spooky ghost story. I will makeup my own mind but thank you for the concern.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Walking Simulator tied together with poor source material. It really isn't worth the asking price of $10. Also the game can be beaten in under 2-hours. (Not that you would ever consider abusing steam)

In my books every $5 should offer a minimum 2-hour experience. If the first 2-hours does not tickle your pickle then refund.

Your money is far better off being spent on a game called 'Fran Bow' which offers a far superior experience for only $5 more.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I really just wanna see the movie... :)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Tybost said:
    Walking Simulator tied together with poor source material.
    Your money is far better off being spent on a game called 'Fran Bow' which offers a far superior experience for only $5 more.
    "Walking simulator" is not the dehonesting term it used to be like back in the days of Graveyard, when folks were clueless about this whole "artsy-fartsy" sub-genre... and for the "poor source material" part, well, I think a LOL is enough comment to that :lol: 

Especially since I mostly just wanted to address the last part, since that's totally off... like saying wow is a lame mmo, play Battlefield instead. Hmm... actually that's a fairly sound suggestion :wink:

Fran Bow is a great game, but it's 1) a point 'n' click adventure, 2) art style is quite the opposite of Park, 3) it's not even creepy, more like dark, with humour and puzzles and funny comments. Overall it's a totally different game and gameplay experience.
    There's one aspect in which Fran Bow is indeed better, without a doubt: it's not tied to Gabe's steamy pocket :lol: Can't wait for the non-steamed Park, I'll buy two right away (since I want the chipmunk on both of my accounts).
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    A smart move on Funcom's part. Additional revenue while shining a light on their jewel of a niche game, The Secret World.
    Po_gg said:
    Tybost said:
    "Walking simulator" is not the dehonesting term it used to be like back in the days of Graveyard, when folks were clueless about this whole "artsy-fartsy" sub-genre.

Especially since I mostly just wanted to address the last part, since that's totally off... like saying wow is a lame mmo, play Battlefield instead. Hmm... actually that's a fairly sound suggestion :wink:

...Can't wait for the non-steamed Park, I'll buy two right away (since I want the chipmunk on both of my accounts).
    The entire game you WALK and as you are WALKING you experience a very bland/average, and unbelievably poor story material that makes you want to fall asleep. 

Now allow me to rant regarding the material: Who the fuck names their kid Callum? but anyway Goddammit Callum.. and one more thing... If you got to the boat ride of doom...

It almost put me in a death bed I was so bored out of my mind at that point. /Refund LOL~ *Ahem* anyway.

The Park is simply not a fun game and is surely not a scary game. I don't see how I could describe to those who read this other than calling it a "Walking Simulator" because that's all you literally do in the bloody game.

Now addressing the reason you made your post. I never said Fran Bow was the only game alternative to check out, and clearly did not say what your THINKING I said... we're reading the same sentence right?

Fran Bow is a superior experience, and so I suggested it (Even though it is nothing like "The Park) for only $5 more ($15) I was simply stating your money is better spent elsewhere

Here are OTHER games that are also FAR MORE WORTHY of your money (Resident Evil 4/6, Bioshock1/2/inf, Dead Realm, The Binding of Isaac/etc) for $10 and under on steam right now.

...and yes all these games are FAR better than "The Park" which is (in my opinion) is one of funcoms worst games to date... but you are right about one thing and that Fran Bow is a great game.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Can anyone comment of the reviews saying its 1h long?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Tybost said:
    Po_gg said:
    Tybost said:
    "Walking simulator" is not the dehonesting term it used to be like back in the days of Graveyard, when folks were clueless about this whole "artsy-fartsy" sub-genre.

The entire game you WALK and as you are WALKING you experience a very bland/average, and unbelievably poor story material that makes you want to fall asleep. 
    Lost in translation much? Mayhaps my weak english... never said it's not that about walking, I only said that you ment walking simulator as a negative thing, so I pointed out it's not the case anymore, just check Ethan Carter's results for example. Plenty of people like these kinda games nowadays.

Poor source material: source material was TSW. Ragnar is one of the best world / lore builder out there currently, but I guess to each their own... if that 100+ years, from Henderson up to Winter's closing down the Atlantic is a weak source to you, I can only repeat my LOL from above :lol:

Fran Bow: if the wow vs Battlefield analogy wasn't clear enough, I ment your "a game called 'Fran Bow' which offers a far superior experience" is not even apples to oranges, it's more like burgers to oranges :wink: if you put Dear Esther in there for example, then not a word from me since Dear Esther is awesome indeed, and also it's a similar type of game like the Park.
    (and yep, Fran Bow is a cool game. Regardless of comparing it to totally different games...)
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nitth said:
    Can anyone comment of the reviews saying its 1h long?
    It says so in this review and all the reviews on steam show that they played the game for an hour so I guess it's true.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Tybost said:
    Po_gg said:
    Tybost said:

...Can't wait for the non-steamed Park, I'll buy two right away (since I want the chipmunk on both of my accounts).

Now allow me to rant regarding the material: Who the fuck names their kid Callum? but anyway Goddammit Callum.. and one more thing... If you got to the boat ride of doom...

It almost put me in a death bed I was so bored out of my mind at that point. /Refund LOL~ *Ahem* anyway.

The Park is simply not a fun game and is surely not a scary game. I don't see how I could describe to those who read this other than calling it a "Walking Simulator" because that's all you literally do in the bloody game.

Now addressing the reason you made your post. I never said Fran Bow was the only game alternative to check out, and clearly did not say what your THINKING I said... we're reading the same sentence right?

Fran Bow is a superior experience, and so I suggested it (Even though it is nothing like "The Park) for only $5 more ($15) I was simply stating your money is better spent elsewhere

Here are OTHER games that are also FAR MORE WORTHY of your money (Resident Evil 4/6, Bioshock1/2/inf, Dead Realm, The Binding of Isaac/etc) for $10 and under on steam right now.

...and yes all these games are FAR better than "The Park" which is (in my opinion) is one of funcoms worst games to date... but you are right about one thing and that Fran Bow is a great game.
    Callum is a scottish first name
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I normally love games like this. I'm a walking simulator addict. HOWEVER, this is the only time I've ever said you could literally watch a let's play of this game and get the same effect. It's far more movie than a game and there are almost no interactive elements whatsoever. While you could claim games as art. In this case there is no benefit to using the media format of a game over a movie. Funcom takes no advantage over the game medium vs. any other and it's really disappointing. Compare Vanishing of Ethan Carter (it's a better game emulating TSW IMO anyway) to the Park for example and you can see world's of difference and how The Park could have been a better game.

Steam: Neph

edited November 2015
    Po_gg said:
    Tybost said:
    Po_gg said:
    Tybost said:

TSW. Ragnar is one of the best world / lore builder out there currently, but I guess to each their own... if that 100+ years, from Henderson up to Winter's closing down the Atlantic is a weak source to you, I can only repeat my LOL from above :lol:
    Edit: Just wanted to toss in my original sentence in my first post: "Walking Simulator tied together with poor source (Story) material. It really isn't worth the asking price of $10" but if you like TSW/Ragnar and $10 isn't much to you... then okay fine.

I just don't see how you can LOL when they use overtold material like Hansel & Gretel... It just put me to sleep personally. If you can watch the video below, and come back here and still have a laugh... man my laugh will tower over yours. I think id be in tears... :tongue:

Just keep in mind the video below is 7-minutes and 40-seconds long and the game itself is only 1H, 30M long. Id also like to toss in I have many more reasons as to why it isn't worth $10 and sought a refund, but this one was the nail in the coffin for me.

#FuckCallum, #Short, #Boring, #Walking-Simulator, #10-Dollar-Experience

Post edited by Tybost on