Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding retiring/children

Is this similar to the old concept from MUDs where one can repeatedly level up to max then remort/tier and continually get slightly more powerful?

If so, are there any limits on it?  I always liked that system, more fun than sitting at max level raiding/pvping/etc

Comments

• AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294
    Is this similar to the old concept from MUDs where one can repeatedly level up to max then remort/tier and continually get slightly more powerful?

If so, are there any limits on it?  I always liked that system, more fun than sitting at max level raiding/pvping/etc
    Yes, it is definitely a system based on what you saw way back in MUDs -- definitely not a new system, although it's so old now and unused, many people will see it as 'new'.

As for the details of how it will work, it's a bit too early for me to commit to details at this point.  The general idea is to encourage players to retire old characters and re-roll new ones with a slight but measurable advantages in order to promote replayability and reward the creation of 'alts'.  

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Aradune said:

Yes, it is definitely a system based on what you saw way back in MUDs -- definitely not a new system, although it's so old now and unused, many people will see it as 'new'.

As for the details of how it will work, it's a bit too early for me to commit to details at this point.  The general idea is to encourage players to retire old characters and re-roll new ones with a slight but measurable advantages in order to promote replayability and reward the creation of 'alts'.  

Yeah I would figure you haven't quite figured it all out yet, but that's cool!   Also thanks for responding to me.   I'm 36 years old and I played EQ back in March 99 I think it was?  When I was in college.  love what you're doing with this game so far   I like the design differences where you've advanced the EQ ideas while also offering some new stuff.  

Keep up the good work.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hmm i did not know this game was doing this,sounds interesting.
    However it is a VERY fine line to cross it can really ruin immersion and the entire game just for the sake of creating longevity.

I seriously cannot believe or don't understand why devs do not see the obvious.The problem as hinted at by poster above is this whole end game dilemma,it is a REALLY bad idea.There should not be an end game EVER.If a dev is not going to use an end death then at least keep the game updating and moving forward.

Games like Wow and every other game with these stagnant raiding loot runs is pathetic game design we need to lose this end game mentality completely.It is VERY easy to fix,just give players CONTENT to do that breaks from the same old routine and make it good enough so that players don't just ignore it to continue loot grinding.

It is called GAME DESIGN,put on your thinking caps and be creative,you can hire any kid out of school to design games the way they are being designed right now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited October 2015
      I had forgotten about the progeny system. I am looking forward to it.

Post edited by Zarriya on
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I too share the general dislike for having an endgame.

IMHO:
    - A game should start at level 1, not at maxlevel.
    - A game should allow you to improve indefinitely.
    - And raids, i.e. boss fights that require more than one group, strategic planning, best gear possible etc, should start with something like midlevel, not only in the "endgame".

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    I too share the general dislike for having an endgame.

IMHO:
    - A game should start at level 1, not at maxlevel.
    - A game should allow you to improve indefinitely.
    - And raids, i.e. boss fights that require more than one group, strategic planning, best gear possible etc, should start with something like midlevel, not only in the "endgame".

As long as they make progression extremely slow AND release timely content, end game will only be something that a very small percent will be worried about.

If the average non-extreme player (ie 2-4 hours on the week nights, 8-10 over the weekend) person is making it to the end of content before new content is released then we have a problem. It means that either the content is not designed slow enough or that content is not being released timely enough.

If they are able to balance it right, most players will always feel as if they are in a journey of the content and if we are lucky, it will feel like we are behind (I loved that feeling in EQ where I just couldn't keep up with content, there was always something to do).