Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$80,000 "stretch goal" for a guy that only produces videos...? wtf?

13»

Comments

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Purutzil said:
    TL:DR - You have to cut off funding at some point, otherwise the developers ambition can HURT the game's development becoming well beyond what they are capable of while costing a lot more. 

The big issue is that developers who kick start often under-estimate and over promise. When a kickstarter starts doing good, they become more complacent and often make the project more complex. This ends up at times hampering the project and even dragging it down. They can become to ambitious, making the project a lot more difficult they it already was and expanding the scope, something that if they hadn't put in place they could of likely completed the original product.

People really need to learn to stop giving the developers so much leeway on what they put into their projects and not keep throwing money. It doesn't do themselves any favors or the developer. As much as I enjoy people acting on a passion project, in the end you need to inject realism into the end goal. Developers can't be allowed to be give an infinite loop of cash, they need to scale down their aspirations in order to allow their end goals to be accomplished. 

As much as we demonize publishers,  in the end they still have that important role of making sure to keep projects within a certain scale. Often it might be in a detrimental way due to general greed of the company (I'd say being too strict at times) but having unlimited reach is just as dangerous to a games success. 
    While I agree with you, I don't see how any of it applies to Crowfall. They have been very clear from day 1 what they expected to produce by launch. Most of the stretch goals that they have added since the KS have been stuff that will help them do their jobs better/faster or things that can be done in parallel to making the game, like foreign translations and stuff. The only things that are content related are the Shadow ruleset, the Banecircle mechanic and the male assassin. The first 2 were things they wanted for the core game all along and the assassin is just a male model of the fae assassin. None of that should significantly impact their timeline. They are still projecting a launch in December 2016.

Star Citizen, yes, they have allowed scope creep to push back development. Crowfall doesn't have that issue.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    tawess said:
    Is it just 80K for the video guy? is there like not hardware and software in the mix? A pc just to renders video as fast he can is not cheap.

Computers are cheap... 3-5000$ for a decent editing rig. About 4000$ for a pro camera. half that for a good consumer one. about 1000$ for a simple light kit for a 1 person setup... double that for a small studio. 50-60$ for a small mixer. 150-200 for a good mic. maybe another 500$ for cables and misc equiptment such as tripods and reflectors. software might run a few thousand dollars depending on what you get and how the license looks. But most likley they have that in place already  

No the real cost comes in with the full-time job it is to plan, write, record, edit and publish videos. It might seems easy when you see it on youtube but there is a huge amount of work that goes in to it if you want it to look good. 
    I think you are a tad high on those prices. Definitely on the camera. I can grab a Canon DSLR camera for much cheaper than that and have professional looking video before I edit anything ( they shoot movies and shows with those and they arent near $4000 ). You are about double the real prices on the rest ( besides the PC ). If you or anyone has paid those prices .. I suggest buying somewhere else.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    At least they told you what it is for.  So they must believe it is necessary.  Otherwise it would be hidden in the fine print.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AnaraionAnaraion Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Loktofeit said:
    Here's a funny thought. How many people here complaining about this actually even knew the name of the persons actual job position, let alone their job function?

Having an opinion is fine, but you'd be far better off making sure it was an educated one.
    His name is John Gibson, and the position is Video Producer. He's been on the production team as a part timer, and is responsible for the six or seven videos that we saw released in August. 

More on that can be found here.

Thank you :) .

Yeah CF has the team they want making the game.  Now they are thinking of trying to get bigger.  Think of all those fanbois watching the Star Citizen videos.  This guy if he does his job well could potentially ramp up the hype drawing loads of new CF players into the game which helps everyone who wants CF to succeed.

I mean if you are going to go for it... go big :).