Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WORLD OF WARCRAFT MMORPG KICKS ASS !!!

[Quick note to the moderators here, "ass" is in the Bible numerous times. In fact there's a super famous Bible story about a talking Ass. God and his angel punished some guy for not listening to a talking ass. No joke! It's true! So just letting you know I'm using the word in the Holy Bible context. ::::08:: ]

Now to the subject of this here thread. I recently got a big fat bonus paycheck from my current job. I decided to check out WoW (among my numerous purchases heheh.) I purchased it at a local GameStop store. The sales clerks were very, very, knowlegeable. Here are some things about WoW that ALL mmorpg makers NEED to learn!

1. WoW aka Blizzard made their mmorpg 100% MAC useable! I recently got a MAC. The darn thing blows a way a PC like a 2006 Fararri vs a 1908 Ford Model T!!! THINK about it - major fortune 100 companies demand their workers use Apples. Major movie houses, and production companies will ONLY use Apples. Heck - get this!!!.... major computer gaming companies use Apple computers to MAKE software for PCs!! Apples are insanely reliable, versatile, and after Linex, the Apple OS is unbeatable. (It's called the Tiger OS.) There is a very, very, sizeable cult following for Apple computers. Plus as a gaming computer, Apples destroy PC in terms of quality, reliability, function, and outstanding performance.

Apple users are extreemly keen on discovering programs aimed at the Apple market. Kudos to Blizzard for this marketing coup!

2. What is the BEST form of advertising? *HINT* it's 100% FREEE!!
I call it WOMA. "Word of Mouth Advertising". If your best friend tells you to check out something, you WILL check it out. Vs what some TV, magazine, etc... ad says... no matter how slick it is. Blizzard includes with EVERY copy of WoW the CD game code for the game itself, as well as a code to get a friend to play for free - without downloading anything! Without having to buy anything! Not only can every single WoW player get their friends to play for free, they can get their friends to play I-N-S-T-A-N-T-L-Y!!! Kudos to Blizzard for this marketing coup!
I'm studying business, and was completly blown away by such simple, but ultra-effective marketing!!!

3. WoW is an ultra-modern 4th generation mmorpg (same generation as SWG, EQ2, Lin2, etc...) but on purpose streamlined itself, but not to the point of stripping itself. How can I explain this? Best example is for you to rent/buy a copy of the DVD "Animatrix" and watch the interviews section about the history of Anime. Todd McFarlane goes into detail about how Asian animators used techniques to streamline their animation, while at the same time never going to the point of stripping them. He gives as one of many examples a dissection of the Superman animated shows vs the Asian animated shows showing flying characters. And for any of you who does not know who Todd McFarlaine is, he is currently the world's most successful comic book, and animation, artist. More so than even Frank Miller. In terms of money, more than even Stan Lee, the creators of Superman, and every single other artist. (this is in terms of money.) But back to subject..... WoW is a streamlined modern mmorpg, that is streamlined in the RIGHT places!!!

This coup by Blizzard means it can run EASIER on ultra expensive computers, as well as on older computers = even more paying subscribers! Unlike SWG and EQ2 which force players to buy brand new 1,000.oo to 2,000.oo computer systems. In ADDITION, WoW takes up a bit less memory, even after having 1 year of patches. SWG went from needing roughly 1 gig, to now needing 2 gigs (almost close to 3 gigs) memory. Since ALL mmorpgs get their graphics outdated, it makes no sense to push the envelope with graphics. They're going to get outdated no matter what! WoW's graphics are modern enough to be more than immersive, but do not push the envelope. I have to make special mention of the MOVEMENT. It is sooo lifelike it is almost flawless!!!

4. The game really IS immersive! Every new character starts out with a copy of the gameworld map. Just looking over it gives one an incredible feeling of how freeekin' HUGE the gameworld is! WOW!!! (Pun intended lol!). Other things that help with the immersive feeling is the on point music, and much, much, much, more!

5. New players are very strong! Forget about starting out in EQ in which you kill one NPC then have to rest for 30 mins to 1 hour!!! In WoW you can kill low level NPCs non-stop. (1 at a time works best. Don't get swarmed of course!) I exploded in levels sooo quick, it felt like I was accidently leveling up! It took me roughly 15-25 NPC kills to move up each level. And I was casually killing NPCs while exploring, and learning how to use the game.

6. MOVEMENT! The movement is sooo easy! Easy to do, easy to learn! Classic SWG still has/had the best ever movement (you could do barrel rolls, and all sorts of other crazy movements during battle!).

7. My current favorite - I can fight barehanded, or hold a shield in one hand, and fight "Captain America" style! And it is EFFECTIVE! Meaning I can kill if I choose to fight this style. One can level up and gain skills and become even BETTER using this specific fighting style! Kudos to Blizzard for making an effort to make their game DIFFERENT from the glut of other mmorpgs out there! Reminds me of one of my Barbarian characters in Diablo 2 - He used 2 knives at the same time heheh. I had another one who used 2 axes at the same time. It's just FUN to be able to do something DIFFERENT! Like how in Anarchy Online you can duel wield TWO GUNS at the same time LOL! In WoW I can fight bare handed (there's even a bare handed skill!) or fight with a shield in one hand, and the other hand bare!

More screenshots coming sooooon..... ::::06::

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!
http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

-DAoC
http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

-WoW....has....arrived! 
http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives03

Comments

• DienzenDienzen Member Posts: 57

lmao you need a "big fat bonus check" in order to pay 50$ for a game and 15$ a month?

I suggest you quit mcdonalds and look for a better job

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by xplororor
    1. WoW aka Blizzard made their mmorpg 100% MAC useable! I recently got a MAC. The darn thing blows a way a PC like a 2006 Fararri vs a 1908 Ford Model T!!! THINK about it - major fortune 100 companies demand their workers use Apples. Major movie houses, and production companies will ONLY use Apples. Heck - get this!!!.... major computer gaming companies use Apple computers to MAKE software for PCs!! Apples are insanely reliable, versatile, and after Linex, the Apple OS is unbeatable. (It's called the Tiger OS.) There is a very, very, sizeable cult following for Apple computers. Plus as a gaming computer, Apples destroy PC in terms of quality, reliability, function, and outstanding performance.

Let me start by adressing the end of your post. Nobody wants to see your screenshots.

1. Macs are used my major companies mostly for graphix software. The reason being not because they are better is because the OS is a Unix OS built for graphix. No other reason. Unix is MUCH more stable than windows and there is no Unix OS out there as good for graphix as the Mac OS.
    Most companies that build programs for Windows use Linux Boxes.... Not Mac. (Yeah it's spelled linUx)

2. This is true.

3. It's not ultra modern. The graphix are sub-par and it's a 3rd Gen MMO. SWG is a 2nd Gen MMO.

4. The depth to the game is quite unimpressive. You just started and you will learn everything there is to kno w about WoW in about..................... a week.

5. That''s the way most 3rd Gen MMOs work.

6. True.

7. This is done in most MMOs and started back in the MUD days. Nothing new there.

Here's Mine:

8. Judging by the fact that you needed a bonus check to play WoW and you only mention SWG, AO, & D2. I don't think you have ever played any MMO besides SWG or AO and I doubt you have even played SWG. To me, it looks like you have only played the free crap that is out there beucase you are so impressed w/ the depth WoW has.... which it has none.

Broaden your visions. The game sucks man. You are new to it. I liked it at first too, but I wasn't blown away. Try playing something that has real depth to it and not just abunch of regurgitated crap from other MMOs. Wait till you get to where you can PVP. Then the game gets really dull. PVP Blows monkey nuts.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

4. The world is not that big but big enough, tho freedom of exploration is almost non existant, they even removed things like mountain climbing since they feared people finding glitches -.-

5. Now, that's not special in any way, like all games I have played has that. WoW is just as level depending as most MMORPG's are, still inside the little box in evolution. If newbs are strong in WoW can they take on lvl 10 mobs? No...

6. WoW shall have alot of credits, and I mean ALOT of creds for the smooth graphics+movement, that could be one surely solid reason people stick with it to start with.

7. I think you have to rething this one a little, since you might think you can fight however way you want but actually every class has it's own superior way of building your character and if you don't follow theese unwritten laws you might get called a noob or hear mean stuff about how much your character ... sucks.

This is nothing special to WoW but every RPG which is level + item depending, you wear what is BEST, not what you WANT, and you cannot make what you want become useful if it ain't THE stuff. That bothers me the absolute most in games like theese.

Wearing tight uber-ugly gear only because it gives you some bonuses ? When a full plate armor gives like half the bonus but looks better ... well well..

For crist sake skip the screens image

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Wow, what the hell? I dont know wether this is a rant, a plee, or a push to sell the game and Apples, who is paying you?

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

What constitutes "4th Generation"? Actually, what Constitutes "Generation"?

According to Richard and Robert Garriott, we have not reached "3rd Generation of MMORPGs" yet. Seems like a reliable source, and they made some good points in their speech about it.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

World of Warcraft took everything that is good of other MMORPG"s and put it in one. result is the most succesfull, and more important, most FUN mmorpg to play at this moment. People always start looking at the negative aspects of WoW instead of the positive. WoW's instances are done well, the world is huge and the terrain is by far the best in any MMO to date. the world makes sense and it feels "right". its easy to learn, the PvP is great. maybe you don't like the pvp SYSTEM, but the actual pvp has moving combat in it and it DOES require skill. the combat is fun, there are loads of quests altough they are basicly all the same,just like ALL MMo's. the grouping part is done well, you need a healer, a tank and a damage dealer to get trough an instance.one mistake by agroing too much mobs and its all over. there is tons of equipment, albeit at the last lvl's everybody looks the same but Blizzard is actually working on this, by adding more items.

Blizzard actually listens to its players, they just never tell. they will soon have outposts wich can be controlled by the horde or the alliance because people asked for something to change the world. people asked for weather, geuss whats in next patch?

WoW has these 5 million subscribers for a reason. the game is purely build on FUN, something games EQ2 and EVE lack.

to the op: post those screenshots mate, just ignore the EVE fanbois who are waiting to make an announcement EVE has made 100.001 subscribers

I still think WoW blows, but I agree that the PVP Combat is great.

WoW was also built on brainless fun...... which alot ppl get bored with pretty fast. Fun to me is having to think about what I'm going to do next.

But all in all.

::::20::::::20::

F'ing great post Gameloading.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Spathotan

Wow, what the hell? I dont know wether this is a rant, a plee, or a push to sell the game and Apples, who is paying you?

The OP is one of those people that gets incredibly excited whenever they get something "new", and whatever new thing they get is the aboslute best thing possible. Once he comes down off his "high" and realizes that Apple less than 3% of the computer market for a reason, he'll figure it out...Same with WoW.
  • SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    The topic title made me laugh and tbh, with that kind of mentality, you're going to fit right at home with WoW. Still a fat paycheck to afford the game? Hmm me thinks it's time to get a better job than that paper round ;).
  • WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985

Hey OP, for how long did you play WoW?
    Sure, i must admit, the first time i played WoW, i was impressed.
    But then you start playing, and learning the game.
    And learning that blizzard ain't doing that good(They listen to the players? Oh yeah, 13 year old kids whinning about imbalance.. Now thats what i want to have ingame!).

Next time, before you make a review, be sure to at least spend 10-20 days ingame, so you know how 'good' the endgame is.

• BennjimBennjim Member Posts: 146

World of Warcraft - never heard of it. I bet they only have like a few hundred players - n00b. ;)

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

You know I have a nagging feeling that there is irony in this thread somewhere- The enthusiasm the OP shows is so over the top it makes me think that he is actually trying to be funny.

Next part is not addressed to OP but the guy who decided to drag EVE and EVE fanboi's into this thread for no reason that I could see?

I play two MMORPGs currently

I have an account in WoW

I have two accounts in EVE

WoW is better at certain things. It is certainly more pickupable 'immediate' fun.

EVE is better at other things. Complexity, market, player politics driving content etc.

They are BOTH great games in different ways...

I do not understand people who think that just because you like WoW EVE must suck and if you like EVE WoW must suck. They both offer different things for different people, times and moods.

CELEBRATE the fact that we have some great MMORPGs that cater for different tastes rather than indulging in this continual bitch fest.

Grow up!

Amarr Victor

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by Gameloading

WoW has these 5 million subscribers for a reason. the game is purely build on FUN, something games EQ2 and EVE lack.

6 million

It is on my opinion the very pinnacle of MMO technology. Utterly worthy of it's success.

Fantasy themed games do not especially excite me. (I'm into it, but it's never my first choice). And I have played as much of WOW as I intend to. But it is still the most advanced MMO game ever made. Everything it does, it does better than anybody else. I'm sure there are millions of people who, like me are currently bored of it, but that really doesn't change how good it is. 

When I catch up with long forgotten roleplay friends, they all play WOW too.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by Hardin

I have an account in WoW
    I have two accounts in EVE

Due to the mailbox system, WoW is one of the only games where there is no reason to have a second account.

• KaalinnKaalinn Member UncommonPosts: 121

On what are EQ2 and EVE built then? They're GAMES. The purpose of a game IS fun. (Although one could stage a discussion whether this is entirely true for MMO's, though i believe fun still is the MAIN reason, while "exploring a different world" and "leading a second life" and "escaping reality" are all valid reasons) Also, i don't know about EQ2, but EVE is definitely built to be fun, only in a such radically different way than other MMOs, that most people are unable to grasp it immediately, because they're simply overwhelmed by the possibilites it overs: EVE is built on choice and freedom. It is the one MMO that leaves pretty much everything in your hands, and lets you decide so much more than other MMOs do. To me freedom is a needed asset to have fun. Now, EVE isnt the only MMO offering a decent degree of freedom, yet it is the only one doing it full scale, other MMOs provide freedom via content. Lots and lots of content. Which WOW hasn't. DAoC for example added more and more content. With SI and the patches introducing DF you could go do huge epic dungeon raids, or even battle for DF control, or battle INSIDE DF during an epic dungeon raid against other realms. With ToA there were the trials and lots of other stuff, etc. etc. Then there's the freedom UO offers. Not necessarily OSI's UO, but there's lotsa freeshards, mostly centered about RP, around. UO with its extraordinary features and detailled item sys (have you ever been able to say.... put up some boardgames, some bottles of ale and jugs of cider, candlebras, plates etc. onto a table for you friends, and you could actually eat and drink all that stuff away during an RP session in the tavern in any other MMO than UO?) and crafting system offers great freedom when it comes to RPing.

Now there's WoW. There's barely any details in the world, nor any diversity like in UO or EVE, or as many choices as in DAoC (yeah i know, in WoW you can raid, craft or PVP, but in DAoC you can do any of these, in any combination, and still more, AND it has a much much more entertaining endgame). The world is tiny and filled with instances. Regarding RP (Opinion Warning!) i think Blizzard went sooo untrue to Warcraft Lore with WoW as was possible without having to change the title to "World of warcraft-like things", so at least for me RP is kinda screwed (well, looking at the player base it probably is anyway).

I'm not saying that WoW sucks or isn't fun for you or whatever, what i'm saying simply is that all of these games provide fun for people. Only that people have different things they consider fun and require different things to have fun, so simply saying that neither EVE nor EQ2 are any fun isn't valid.

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur
    http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Why_Macs_Suck_15109.html

Dude. I have NEVER laughed so hard from an internet vid. lmmfao!

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me

Originally posted by Kaalinn

On what are EQ2 and EVE built then? They're GAMES. The purpose of a game IS fun. (Although one could stage a discussion whether this is entirely true for MMO's, though i believe fun still is the MAIN reason, while "exploring a different world" and "leading a second life" and "escaping reality" are all valid reasons) Also, i don't know about EQ2, but EVE is definitely built to be fun, only in a such radically different way than other MMOs, that most people are unable to grasp it immediately, because they're simply overwhelmed by the possibilites it overs: EVE is built on choice and freedom. It is the one MMO that leaves pretty much everything in your hands, and lets you decide so much more than other MMOs do. To me freedom is a needed asset to have fun. Now, EVE isnt the only MMO offering a decent degree of freedom, yet it is the only one doing it full scale, other MMOs provide freedom via content. Lots and lots of content. Which WOW hasn't. DAoC for example added more and more content. With SI and the patches introducing DF you could go do huge epic dungeon raids, or even battle for DF control, or battle INSIDE DF during an epic dungeon raid against other realms. With ToA there were the trials and lots of other stuff, etc. etc. Then there's the freedom UO offers. Not necessarily OSI's UO, but there's lotsa freeshards, mostly centered about RP, around. UO with its extraordinary features and detailled item sys (have you ever been able to say.... put up some boardgames, some bottles of ale and jugs of cider, candlebras, plates etc. onto a table for you friends, and you could actually eat and drink all that stuff away during an RP session in the tavern in any other MMO than UO?) and crafting system offers great freedom when it comes to RPing.

Now there's WoW. There's barely any details in the world, nor any diversity like in UO or EVE, or as many choices as in DAoC (yeah i know, in WoW you can raid, craft or PVP, but in DAoC you can do any of these, in any combination, and still more, AND it has a much much more entertaining endgame). The world is tiny and filled with instances. Regarding RP (Opinion Warning!) i think Blizzard went sooo untrue to Warcraft Lore with WoW as was possible without having to change the title to "World of warcraft-like things", so at least for me RP is kinda screwed (well, looking at the player base it probably is anyway).

I'm not saying that WoW sucks or isn't fun for you or whatever, what i'm saying simply is that all of these games provide fun for people. Only that people have different things they consider fun and require different things to have fun, so simply saying that neither EVE nor EQ2 are any fun isn't valid.

EVE is...well my signature says enough. really EVE is just too slow beyond words. litterly hours of just travelling and the real-time skill system, I can't honnestly see how anyone can like that. sure there are missions to do but the traveling takes more time then the actual action.

you can say alot about freedom in EVE and blabla but it actually just boils down to EVE having FFA pvp. thats about it, sure there are some extra's but nothing huge. WoW is just simply Faction vs Faction. sure there are some corps and such but it basicly is just the community trying to look for an excuse to hunt people down. I don't like the pvp one bit in EVE. sure you have the "thrill" of losing stuff but if you lose it, you lose loads of work. one could argue if its actually work since its basicly just being AFK

Comparing the Daoc now with WoW is unfair. Daoc has expansions released and has been around much longer then WoW has. Wow also have epic dungeons. yes, Blizzard content isn't really fast but the things they create are fully working at least

WoW no detail? WoW has L O A D S of detail. more then any game like EVE can ever dream of. there are so many things you will reconize if you played the previous Warcraft games and read the books. from the race leaders to simple statues. you can say a lot of WoW but saying WoW has no detail is an insult after the developers went trough hell putting everything related to warcraft in

• TithrielleTithrielle Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by xplororor
    3. WoW is an ultra-modern 4th generation mmorpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50
    Im thinking of start playing WoW, seems like a fun game :D.. and about the screens... omg why do you ppl complain. if you dont wanna see the screenshots, then u dont have to. 
  • HajenHajen Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur
    http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Why_Macs_Suck_15109.html

OMFG!!! that movie almost killed me! damn, i had a hard time breathing... i were almost dead, when the movie stopped, and i cud get up from the flor, where i were ROFL:ING :D. thx for the post, Dis_ordur image 
  • SiftSift Member Posts: 258

West Coast Baby WoW4Life, The game is Hizzot, ...

I don't know I cant continue that lol. Theres nothing wrong with this game its fun for awhile and thats all I ask out of any game I play.

And I wouldn't Wipe my ass (bible refrence again lol wth was that) with a mac.

(What ever you do dont talk about the logistics of wiping ones ass with a mac It will make want to hit you over the head with a mac)

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I am all certain, that from your perspective, making a post like this - doubt the greatness of WoW as a game.

I think you are so obsessed with hearing people say the negative things you hate the most about the game as a responce to this thread that you are on the edge of stepping off the WoW cliff.

Or you are seeking for a confirmation of positiveness that shall overweight the deficits of what you have found.

Call me whatever you want - psychiatrist wannabee or something, that is what I believe threads like theese are for.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Originally posted by CaesarsGhost
    What constitutes "4th Generation"? Actually, what Constitutes "Generation"?

According to Richard and Robert Garriott, we have not reached "3rd Generation of MMORPGs" yet. Seems like a reliable source, and they made some good points in their speech about it.

Glad you asked. According to a source just as reliable as Lord British, and in some ways more reliable than Lord British, the definition of "generation" when it comes to mmorpgs is roughly a mixture of the following, in order:

- A mmorpg that takes full advantage of all current technology when it comes out. For example UO could not be 3-D when it came out, because the technology was not available.

- A mmorpg that pushes the envelope in game engine design. EQ's game engine blows away UO's game engine. Thus EQ is a whole new generation vs UO. AO's game engine blows away EQ's game engine, thus AO is a whole new generation vs EQ. SWG's game engine blows away AO's game engine. Thus SWG is a whole new generation vs AO. Game engine design includes graphics, database management, etc...

- A mmorpg that comes out during the time period of the other mmorpgs that are obvious generations. Astonia 1 is a low budget mmorpg, same with Classic Runescape. They both came out around the time period/heyday/era/epoch of original EQ. Thus they are of the same generation as EQ.

Gen1= UO, M59, etc... Gen2= EQ, AC, Lin1, etc... Gen3= AO, DAoC, El Kardian, etc... Gen4= SWG, EQ2, Lin2, etc....

- How revolutionary is the mmorpg? New ideas, new features, that other mmorpgs then copy! UO was a very revolutionary mmorpg - especially with its idea of player housing. Anarchy Online was one of the most revolutionary mmorpgs ever made. Every single current mmorpg after it has copied, and copied, its ideas. Classic SWG was also one of the most revolutionary mmorpgs ever made. Even WoW has blatantly copied ideas that were ONLY in Classic SWG. (I think it's cool heheh.) Shows the game DEVs at Blizzard played Classic SWG, and were FANS of Classic SWG. ::::28::

-------------------
    And the source who is as reliable, if not more reliable, than Lord British when it comes to MMORPGs? The one guy, the only guy, Lord British choose to make a mmorpg out of the stand alone Ultima games. Lord British was king of stand alone RPGs. But was clueless to mmorpgs. He searched, and choose the king of muds, moos, mushs, and mmorpgs, to make Ultima 0 - Ultima 9 come alive in a mmorpg. UO currently is still doing well - better than many brand new state of the art mmorpgs!

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

-DAoC
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives02

-Coming sooner or later... CoH, WoW, MXO, UO, GW, As3, RS

-WoW....has....arrived! 
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives03

I disagree with you on the last part, since it seems very unlikely. By the time SWG was released, WoW's development was "complete" and all that remained were some fixes here and there and network stuff. I doubt they still had time to copy anything from SWG back then.