Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games that have exceeded your expectations

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
It seems like a lot of us like to complain a lot about games around here, and I'm no exception to that. But I was thinking about the times that games have exceeded my expectations and the following came to mind:

Darkfall

I heard this was a gankbox and all the players were psychotic griefers. I gave the game a try anyway and found two years of fun a lot of very cool people. There were a handful of jerks in public chat, but that's to be expected. The game offered my the closest online experience to Morrowind I've come across.

Trove

I played during the beta and there wasn't that much to do. By the time the game launched, I found that it had grown a lot. And it was free. It was great for a solid month of play (for me) and I still log in once in a while for a quick session.

Skyforge

I thought it would be an exploitative p2w/dress up game. I found that it was quite fun and challenging. It was also free, so I was glad I tried it and though I haven't played for a few weeks due to so many fun things to play right now, I'm pretty sure I will drop in again.

War Thunder

Another free to play game with a pvp focus. It's really pay to avoid grind. But "grind" in this game doesn't hurt you. You actually become better the more you play. So paying to level up more quickly actually hurt me. I found that by going back and mastering all the lower level planes I skipped over made be a much better player.

SWTOR

I was pretty disappointed by this game after launch and didn't expect to come back to it again after trying several times. When KOTFE came out, I didn't think I would even try it. But I read about all the QOL changes and focus on story and I'm glad I came back. It's my main game right now.

That's my list. The key for me, I guess, was having low expectations for all of them and then being pleasantly surprised.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ONLY FFXI because i have NEVER liked console gaming ,so when i heard it was designed for the PS2 i was very skeptical.Not only was i surprised i was amazed that the game was exactly what i was looking for.I felt the depth and well thought out design ideas just looked to be a solid effort.

Having learned a lot more over the years and having played soooo many games , i just know and see nothing but terrible sub par efforts.Like 99% of the games i see coming out look to me like budgetware gaming.

There is a slight possibility that Elyria surprises me,i somehow don't think so because i know what kind of manpower and budget is needed to pull off an amazing triple A game.Who knows maybe they have a great production lead and a well thought out design before they started it,therefor saving a lot of time and cost.

Yes the key is to having low expectations and i pretty much have low expectations for all games now.This way if something pops out and looks to me like a Triple A game,i will be extremely happy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    WoW  - my first MMO; Same as millions of others, I came to it from WC3 and I vaguely remember expecting not much more than something like "WC3 with ability to zoom in to the ground and play" or silly stuff like that. Needless to say, it exceeded my expectations by far =)

Warhammer Online - best game ever made imHo (still playin, after 7 years); I had much higher expectations, coming to it after WoW and AoC, and WAR exceeded it in atmosphere, humor, combat, gameplay, artwork... you name it.

Age of Conan - Tortuga (first 20) was good above my expectations, but the rest of the game unfortunately was not...But frankly, I guess I would leave it for WAR anyway.
     W...aaagh?
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    SWG.  I logged in for the first time and had no idea what to do.  Being that my only MMO experience prior was Neocron which was also pretty much a questless MMO with just mission terminals.  That similarity with SWG helped a little bit, but the sheer scope, size, and freedom of the game just blew me away.  Not to mention all of the music and sound effects pulled straight from the movies as incredible.  I even actually enjoyed the 30 minute run from Bespin to Jabba's Palace on foot because they hadn't even put mounts into the game yet, lol. The faction flag and PVP system was fun.  Running around with my own personal 3 man Stormtrooper team that I could sic onto Rebel scum was fun.  Finally, hunting for the Gorax on Endor for hours and hours with my buddy and his pet Rancor was just one of the memories that will stick with me for a while.

Then the Jedi started showing up in game and all the good crafters stopped crafting to start their hologrind thus signaling the end of a great game for me.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CooperstownCooperstown Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Frogger . . . in real life i never truly understood the perils of crossing the road
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

I was looking for a classic fantasy MMO with a huge gameworld so I could have fun. I didnt expect the game to be even remotely as good as it turned out.

Lineage 2

Its not a good game, but it also counts. I actually knew the game before playing it. I was shanghaied into it by a friend and while it still wasnt good, it was still definitely much better than I expected. Ideas like castle sieges, overenchanting and racial classes now are part of my pool of ideas for great MMOs.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Can't say any have exceeded expectations. I don't tend to bear many such things in mind beyond what I can know from the engine and game's design.

Mostly it's just little snippets of the game that gets my interest. More often than not I see the potential of a game, which leaves me wondering whether or not those potentials are going to get the attention to flesh them out or improve them versus neglect in favor of something else. SWToR for example has a lot of things I consider irreparable largely due to the engine, but there's game elements like the mod system for items that I like.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• woutwolfwoutwolf Member CommonPosts: 2
    Lord of the Rings. I did not play it, my daughter did. But I was jealous. It so much really looked like Tolkien sometimes.

@woutwolf ;

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    World of Warcraft (vanilla)

It was incredibly polished and fun compared to other MMOs out there at the time.

Wizard 101

Who'd have thought I find the strategic combat I'm looking for in a game for children.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    FFXI was something I originally bought with the intention of only playing for a short while, the online component was a huge turnoff but I was a massive Final Fantasy fan.  I ended up playing it for many years, one of the best mmo experiences of the time.

Warframe was something I avoided for a long while, mainly because of the ugly art design.   Out of boredom one day I downloaded it on steam and was amazed at how fun it was.  Played it for just under a year, still go back to it now and then.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Guild Wars 1 -  By far the most surprising game I've played.  Solid, fast, fun, beautiful, enjoyable storyline, and very reasonably priced.  Maybe not a game for an MMORPG fan, but coming from LAN party RPGs it was a perfect fit for me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Guild Wars 2 - I never expected it would keep me interested for years to come. Possibly the best ever purchase in terms of value for money for me. The amount of content that was delivered in the form of limited events and world story is really impressive.

ARK - I originally bought this simply because I wanted a game with nice graphics. Was hoping for a couple of weeks worth of casual fun. Instead, it likely is the most updated game on Steam. Have played it with my sister for months now, with new content coming in each week.
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Undertale - Just play it.

Dragomon Hunter - Yes Aeria is going to destroy it with their item mall, but the actually game itself is pretty decent overall.

Tree of Savior - Feels almost too much like Ragnarok Online, but that's exactly what we were hoping for...isn't it?

Blade & Soul - They have summoners. :3

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 1, DC Universe Online...they all worthed every penny.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    EVE is the only one, I didn't expect to like it, resisted it for years, ended up my all time favorite.

Every MMO after WOW and EVE has been a disappointment at best.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Thinking about it, no game ever really exceeded my expectations.
    I guess i always expect too much, but then the usual hype also drives my expectations way up.
    Only game worth mentioning would be WoW, because when i started at release i did not really expect anything and got many years of awesomeness in return.

However, there are alot of games that surprised my in one or another good way, like i.e. Kingdoms of Amalur did.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Recently: Skyforge and Devilian, they do just enough to push things forward and make gaming slightly interesting again for me.

Old school: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, everyone panned it, critics and players alike (at the time) but I loved it. Open world structure, great crafting, fun combat, diplomacy and just overall a very well rounded experience, wish it was still around.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Minecraft & GW2

Minecraft's versatility with private servers and ease of programming game content plus the length people (usually kids not always) go to, to create these artisticly amazing worlds using only what amounts to lego blocks.  I have seen worlds built out of giant ice cream cones and sharks.  There is just no end to the human imagination.

GW2 has managed to fix almost everything I hated with mmo's.  Not all mind you but a bunch.  I can access the Trading Post anywhere in the world.  Their map is the biggest in any mmo I've ever played.  Complex underwater game play my god I had always dreamed of a game that would have that.  Huge devoted player base so I will never be afraid of one day logging in and no one is there to play.   Variety of content and finally a game that lets pvp and pve exist in harmony.

Skyrim, The Sims 2, and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.

Skyrim because you could have npc relationships, hearthfire, the world looked real, the gltiches left me in stitches.  Lots of comedy there.

TS2 was modding heaven.  BHAVS, meshing, and polycount oh my!

DDDA best mobs, best character creation, nice looking game.  Fun to swap the servants you created (called pawns) with other players.  Not an mmo but had online sharing.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Only current games could possibly be on exceed expectations list for me because a lot of the older games I had high expectation and for the most part they lived up to them. Pretty much everything after WoW didn't live up to them.

Over the last 5 years though I have such low expectations that I think every game will suck and mostly they have lived up to them lol.

FFXIV has exceeded expectations for me because I ended up really liking it and played a solid 9 months, longer than any game  BY FAR since early WoW and most of the pre WoW games. Actually I played Warhammer for quite a bit. I had more fun in the closed beta than once it went live. It was like a different game to me. Think it had to do with how people played it. That was a disappointment at first because I was hoping for daoc 2, but after a while and once I went back, I had a blast and now miss it. Nothing else has exceeded.

I've been satisfied with the progress of CU so far, probably would exceed if I went by my standard low expectations, but it is a bit higher for this game. I'm hoping Pantheon exceeds since I have so little faith in the project, let alone releasing, that if it even a half way decent game, it will far exceed lol.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    D3

Dishonored

Deus Ex Human Evolution

Warframe

Lara Craft Go

Marvel Heroes

... there are many .. not all of them MMO though
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited October 2015
    For MMO's:

1) WOW - I watched people play UO and EQ and I didn't like the mechanics of SWG, and so I avoided MMO's until WOW.  I really loved playing WOW as my first MMO and they did a great job in making it accessible and interesting

2) SWTOR (story only) - I was really impressed with the Sith Inquisitor storyline while leveling.  I've always found KOTOR to be overrated but was impressed with the storytelling of SWTOR.  I still quit after hitting teh level cap for many reasons, not the least of which was their refusal to rollback after the massive PVP exploit in teh first month.

3) GW2 (art direction only) - I think the art and exploration aspects are amazing.  I'm not a fan of their combat system, especially in instances.

Marvel Heroes exceeded my low expectations but has become rather dull these days.

Trove was more fun than expected but got dull quick.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Vanguard about 3 months before it closed :(

SWTOR because I didn't like it during beta but loved it about a year ago.

Also I would have to add The Gorgon Project.  I always thought that the nostalgia I had could never be revived.  That game did it.

Meridian 59 on the beta server after I decided to tried my hand at PKing in a game where you could be killed anywhere and the towns were no longer safe due to possible lynch mobs.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    edited October 2015
    i always manage my expectations so usually it's neither too low or too high. that's why i don't think any game ever exceeded my expectation. not after World of Warcraft anyway. maybe Smite only. the advertising and the look of it all felt cheap and all the boobs didn't help but once i played it there was actually some depth to it.

outside MMOs i think Soma was the latest to exceed my expectation story-wise...it's ending is written better than most books or movies.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• chezzechezze Member UncommonPosts: 12
    minecraft
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    edited October 2015
    I agree with Minecraft.  I thought it was a kid's game and ignored it for the first few years. I'm nearing 40.  Then it was my life for a good two years.  Also Darkfall; I thought I'd hate the PvP, and what do you mean No Quests!!  It was awesome.  Lastly, Hearthstone.  I had never touched a TCG before, but the quick matches and simplicity of it is just fun.  Oh, and tabletop DnD.  I was very reserved about joining a friends playing group, but we played for years.  I'd probably rank that highest.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA