Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 | Heart of Thorns Review in Progress | MMORPG

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2015
    Nice you only have to do the mastery once and they apply to all characters on your account. I couldn't imagine grinding gliding 10 times. Oh, anybody find a juvenile tiger or juvenile electric wyvern let me know, thanks. :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Can you hop right into HoT with every character or does the xpack start at the former max level?
    How would anyone who tried GW2 previously but never made it to max. level proceed now that the addon hit the game?

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    eye_m said:
    another reason why I've always felt they are not really MMORPGamers or they would know that open honest beta testing is the best policy in the genre. I think they are basically FPS console gamers who really have no idea how to put together an honest approach to anything because of their silence policy, and they really have no idea what Quality of Life updates look like for this genre save for the few things that those who actually DID have experience mentioned to them in the office prior to launching of which those that are left after the real experienced gamers left, have no access to so they are grasping at straws now.

I think that since they didn't improve rewards for the entire game and not just the expansion that they are still delusional about what people want and the true psychology of MMORPGs in which rewards are the central part of the game, not necessarily just for progress but definitely as a part of the standard loot system.

I think they need to take a page from the Elder Scrolls Online book in order to understand the draw of the MMORPG genre in which you can and do get any reward from anywhere. (I've stolen several legendary level items within the past month alone for example. Something that never happened in GW2's laughably imbalanced lopsided loot system that's plagued this game ever since it was conceived by John Smith the economist)

I was not impressed with the afterthought class aka the Engineer when I saw it because they still have yet to actually balance the class properly for PVE in all of the previous abilities and skills it already had such as explosives, bombs, chemical warfare etc and they still have yet to remove backpacks.
    This is so much bullshit, did you even play HoT?

Of course he hasn't, otherwise he would have known about the engineer. He believes there is a "silence" policy, yet he is oblivious to things that they have talked about, implemented, and moved beyond.  This sort of post reminds of many critics where they forget how to listen because their mouth doesn't stop talking.  The unfortunate thing, is that I'm sure he would like to be recognized as someone worth listening to but until he takes the time to actually become informed he won't be.
    eye_m said:
    another reason why I've always felt they are not really MMORPGamers or they would know that open honest beta testing is the best policy in the genre. I think they are basically FPS console gamers who really have no idea how to put together an honest approach to anything because of their silence policy, and they really have no idea what Quality of Life updates look like for this genre save for the few things that those who actually DID have experience mentioned to them in the office prior to launching of which those that are left after the real experienced gamers left, have no access to so they are grasping at straws now.

I think that since they didn't improve rewards for the entire game and not just the expansion that they are still delusional about what people want and the true psychology of MMORPGs in which rewards are the central part of the game, not necessarily just for progress but definitely as a part of the standard loot system.

I think they need to take a page from the Elder Scrolls Online book in order to understand the draw of the MMORPG genre in which you can and do get any reward from anywhere. (I've stolen several legendary level items within the past month alone for example. Something that never happened in GW2's laughably imbalanced lopsided loot system that's plagued this game ever since it was conceived by John Smith the economist)

I was not impressed with the afterthought class aka the Engineer when I saw it because they still have yet to actually balance the class properly for PVE in all of the previous abilities and skills it already had such as explosives, bombs, chemical warfare etc and they still have yet to remove backpacks.
    This is so much bullshit, did you even play HoT?

Of course he hasn't, otherwise he would have known about the engineer. He believes there is a "silence" policy, yet he is oblivious to things that they have talked about, implemented, and moved beyond.  This sort of post reminds of many critics where they forget how to listen because their mouth doesn't stop talking.  The unfortunate thing, is that I'm sure he would like to be recognized as someone worth listening to but until he takes the time to actually become informed he won't be.
    What i also found interest from his post is the lack of perspective about the success of the game. Most sites that track population show that ESO has a significantly smaller player base than gw2, so why would they want to follow their approach? ESO isn't some indy game that vastly over succeeded its a AAA bust. I'm not really a gw2 fan anymore but I am liking HoT, and I do agree that gw2 lost site of several of the things that made gw so special, mainly the skill system, rapidly expanding world, class and sub class choices that had major stylistic impacts on combat, and diversified roles. I think the game got so caught up in breaking the trinity and the loot treadmill system that they failed to see that gw had already fixed alot of those problems without completely going in a different system. That being said the content and story for gw2 are incredible. For anyone who has never really gone through and experienced the game get a couple of friends together and just dive in because your missing out. While there are alot things I wish they had done more like gw1 the game is good for what it is, my only real complaint with the game itself is the very slow pace at which they release new content, the living story is awesome and I don't think it should have taken 3 years to reach this point.
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited October 2015
    Nice review.
    Here's my story.

I took a couple of months off because I have a few thousand hours in the game and felt
    all I did was grind gold while waiting for HoT,and I also was fed up with some
    "game features"
    HoT releases.
    I leave a week or so to pass,because launch and bugs etc etc.
    I log in today.

Great!
    New specs,I have to play them all to learn how to beat them in PvP,
    can finally craft precursors,new WvW map etc etc.
    Nothing is vain.
    So I try to finish off a LS s2 episode that I left bugged.
    No need really,it's the 2nd playthrough and it's done only for achievements.
    Just the completioninst in me needs to have that box ticked before moving on.
    Sad story.Episode still bugged after what,almost a year?
    I necro a thread that's been going on for 10 months and report the bug again.
    Then I proceed to finally start the new story.
    I hop to SW.
    I see the zone event is just starting,so what the hell.
    I'll beat the mordrem attack first,for old times sake ,and then move on to the story.
    So I tag up,go red,and ask for others to tag up on the other forts.
    Not a lot of players in at the start,and until the breach it took us a lot of time.
    40 mins or so.
    Finally we kill the champs and go for VR.
    And then...client error.
    I'm back in game in like,10-20 secs.
    Random map.
    Event at 0/4.
    And then I remembered one of the "game features" that made me stop playing in
    the first place.
    It's not that GW2 is a bad game.It's great.
    But it's like a very tasty food that you will enjoy a lot eating,but it might give you
    diarrhoea afterwards.

I can't spend even 1 more sec in a game that spits on the time I invest in it,every time
    the net or the client burps.
    People lose event progression every single day since they implemented the MS,but Anet
    believes it's ok to throw players in random maps,because their client is impeccable and never crashes,and because they have invented the perfect internet(tm) that is and will be
    on 24/7,until the end of the universe.
    Or because they don't give a (guess what).
    Ofc in PvP they allow you to reconnect back in the same map because Esportstszszszszs
    (Enter farting and burping sounds.And a couple of explosions. Or was that a fart?).

P.S All is vain.

Volgore said:
    Can you hop right into HoT with every character or does the xpack start at the former max level?
    How would anyone who tried GW2 previously but never made it to max. level proceed now that the addon hit the game?
    The former max level is the current max level too.
    The new zones and the story are lvl 80 content,but levelling to 80 in GW2 takes no time.
    And you should play the personal story and LS season 2 first if you ask me.
  • AshfordThunderAshfordThunder Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Rockard said:
    Nice review.
    Here's my story.

I took a couple of months off because I have a few thousand hours in the game and felt
    "game features"
    HoT releases.
    I log in today.

Great!
    Nothing is vain.
    I hop to SW.
    I'll beat the mordrem attack first,for old times sake ,and then move on to the story.
    Not a lot of players in at the start,and until the breach it took us a lot of time.
    40 mins or so.
    And then...client error.
    Random map.
    Event at 0/4.
    the first place.
    But it's like a very tasty food that you will enjoy a lot eating,but it might give you
    diarrhoea afterwards.

I can't spend even 1 more sec in a game that spits on the time I invest in it,every time
    People lose event progression every single day since they implemented the MS,but Anet
    believes it's ok to throw players in random maps,because their client is impeccable and never crashes,and because they have invented the perfect internet(tm) that is and will be
    Ofc in PvP they allow you to reconnect back in the same map because Esportstszszszszs
    (Enter farting and burping sounds.And a couple of explosions. Or was that a fart?).

P.S All is vain.

I don't like the game be cause I disconnect often....., dude you can not blame the game for that. Get a better internet or better computer, I have never crashed or disconnected a single time in my 2000 hours of playtime.
    Rockard said:
    Nice review.
    Here's my story.

"game features"
    HoT releases.
    I log in today.

Great!
    Nothing is vain.
    I hop to SW.
    40 mins or so.
    And then...client error.
    Random map.
    Event at 0/4.
    the first place.
    diarrhoea afterwards.

P.S All is vain.

I don't like the game be cause I disconnect often....., dude you can not blame the game for that. Get a better internet or better computer, I have never crashed or disconnected a single time in my 2000 hours of playtime.
    Nowhere in my post I said I dc a lot.
    Also I specifically said that I like the game,and that it's a great game,to be precise.
    So,sorry,but your post is a bit fail,when you have to go and make this 'my internet
    is better dude get a better one'...

What I say is that I won't invest time in a game where a simple dc might cost
    me close to an hour of event progression.
    There are so many other games out there that got this covered.
    I won't bother with GW2 again unless they implement a system that remembers
    your position in a map,and puts you in that same map after you dc.

If they don't care about it it's lame.
    If they can't do anything about it because their code and servers whatever,it's even more lame.

But feel free to proceed to the GW2  forums and tell all the people reporting client
    crashes and DCs to buy new PCs because you haven't crashed once in 2k hours.
    Start a thread and call it,'Haven't crashed in 2k hrs,why did you?'

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Rockard said:
    Rockard said:
    Nice review.
    Here's my story.

"game features"
    HoT releases.
    I log in today.

Great!
    Nothing is vain.
    I hop to SW.
    40 mins or so.
    And then...client error.
    Random map.
    Event at 0/4.
    the first place.
    diarrhoea afterwards.

P.S All is vain.

Nowhere in my post I said I dc a lot.
    Also I specifically said that I like the game,and that it's a great game,to be precise.
    So,sorry,but your post is a bit fail,when you have to go and make this 'my internet
    is better dude get a better one'...

What I say is that I won't invest time in a game where a simple dc might cost
    me close to an hour of event progression.
    There are so many other games out there that got this covered.
    I won't bother with GW2 again unless they implement a system that remembers
    your position in a map,and puts you in that same map after you dc.

If they don't care about it it's lame.
    If they can't do anything about it because their code and servers whatever,it's even more lame.

But feel free to proceed to the GW2  forums and tell all the people reporting client
    crashes and DCs to buy new PCs because you haven't crashed once in 2k hours.
    Start a thread and call it,'Haven't crashed in 2k hrs,why did you?'

Seriously, get your computer looked up. My SO and I never had a dc/crash and we don't have beasty PCs. He runs i5-2500k overclocked and I'm running FX-8350. We all know GPU doesn't matter much in this game but we have somewhat decent GPUs. Game runs smoothly. 

If you still dont want to get your PC checked up, get a guildie, so that when you crash, you'd join back in their "channel". Or just invite bunch of people in your friendlist. The megaserver tries to match you with your friends/guildies 
  • natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    I wish they'd make a real sequel to Guild Wars but not this crap. I would love a Guild Wars 1.5

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited October 2015
    natuxatu said:
    I wish they'd make a real sequel to Guild Wars but not this crap. I would love a Guild Wars 1.5
    If you look for lobby based game, try out Skyforge. You might like it. Leave the rest of us who consider Gw2 million times better than Gw1 without your negative and non-constructive opinion. 
    Volgore said:
    HoT is for level 80 characters. You'd have to level up to 80 first.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited October 2015
    I found the Tiger and Electric Wyvern pets. They've gated them behind a 2 hour event which has to be well coordinated or it will fail which I've heard it does most of the time, or crashes. People are complaining because because a lot of rangers with low dps are joining the groups trying to finish off their pet collection. After the two hour event you have 15 mins. before the map closes to find and glide to the location of the pets which are in the same area but on different levels, so I've been told.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The spvp is a bit of a mess at the moment, the new specializations are totally OP. Its still fun and better pvp than other mmos, but you are definitely at a disadvantage if you don't have HoT. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nice review.